Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Shanatar's sub-kingdoms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kiaransalyn Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 09:02:56
Sparked by the "the Movers and Shakers of Faerun... all the same?" thread I've begun to think about how a Realms based story might progress if the main character was a dwarf.

The idea I'm having is that the main character is a Runecaster. Their twin is also a Runecaster and the story begins with the twin setting off to explore the fallen kingdoms of Shanatar to search for the lost Runes of Power. Naturally, the main story begins when the main character can no longer detect the location of their twin. Either they are dead or no longer on the Material Plane (Thunder twin feat FRCS).

What are the Runes of Power? Each of the eight sub-kingdoms of Shanatar identified itself with one of the children of Moradin. My idea is that maybe each of these sub-kingdoms had a rune sacred to the former power it revered.

As far as I can tell the following formed the constituent kingdoms of Shanatar:

Alatorin - founded by Taark Shanat, chief deities were Moradin and Berronar

The sub-kingdoms were:
Barakuir - Clan Duergar, deity was Laduguer
Ultoksamrin - deity was Dumathoin
Holorarar
Drakkalor
Korolnor
Sondarr
Torglor
Xothearin

The other six deities were Clangeddin, Vergadain, Abbathor, Sharindlar, Diinkarazan and Diirinka.

My questions are:
Can the deities be matched to the sub-kingdoms?
I'm tempted to ascribe Abbathor to Drakkalor since that kingdom's ruler disputed Ultoksamrin's claim to the Wyrmskull Throne as well.

Am I correct in assuming that these are the eight sub-kingdoms of Shanatar?

As regards the Runes of Power this is merely a writing device I've used to set up a story that involves the runecaster twins. You're welcome to discount it, provide another reason, etc.

Sourcebooks consulted:
Races of Faerun
Dwarves Deep
Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 19:10:44
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

Good luck with your campaign idea. 'Bout time the dwarves get some respect.

And a side note: since Diinkarazan and Diirinka were once dwarven deities, has anyone ever figured out just where the derro came from or how they came into existence?

I can’t remember which brother is which so basically this:

These two twin brothers were the most "magical" of Moradin’s children...

one day they were wandering around in the Outlands and came into the Illescrine (sp?) the super-mindflayer god’s cavern...They decided to steal some of the Illithid-god’s power but got caught...

The one brother basically abandoned the other to the illithid god and used the stolen power/lore and created the “magic using” dwarves, the derro. As the surviving brother was more evil than the duergar god he was banished from the dwarven pantheon too...

The brother caught by the illithid-god faced a horrible fate and was left totally insane and trapped in the Abyss, only 1 day a year does he escape into the Prime to go on a bloodthirsty rampage...usually against the derro

Now, you must remember this, until 3rd Ed. dwarves were “arcanely” non-magical and the derro were insane due to their evil god and the idea a dwarf twisted to use arcane magic would go insane. 3rd Ed. actually screws up that idea in the first place

And to confuse things more there is another derro “origin” story from Greyhawk involving the Suel...which is why some canon says the derro are de-evolved humans or human-dwarf hybrids..
Ardashir Posted - 14 Aug 2006 : 17:31:22
Good luck with your campaign idea. 'Bout time the dwarves get some respect.

And a side note: since Diinkarazan and Diirinka were once dwarven deities, has anyone ever figured out just where the derro came from or how they came into existence?
Kiaransalyn Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 07:57:51
Thank you for all your help here.

I have DDGttU but didn't check it yesterday.
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Aug 2006 : 01:16:22
As was already said, Drizzt's Guide and Wyrmskull Throne are probably your best bets for lore on Shanatar's kingdoms. Underdark (3e) is pretty much just a reprint of Drizzt's Guide, but if you can't find the two 2e books is passable.
Ergdusch Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 17:30:19
there is some info on the eight sub-kingdoms of Deep Shanatar also in the Underdark sourcebook. Following helpful information derives from its pages:

Holorarar is the "forgotten" sub-kingdom of deep Shantar and was formed after the Fall of Barakuir (appr. -7000 DC) to keep the number of sub-kingdoms at eight. They used the same Scepter as Barakuir but I found no info as to whether they chared the same patron deity or not.

The subkingdom of Barakuir was the original home of Clan Duergar. After its fall the captive dwarves were enslaved by the mind flayers who overran the kingdom and bred into the psionic subrace known as the duergar.

Iltkazar is another sub-kingdom, actually the last surviving kingdom of Deep Shanatar. It is also called the Mithral Kingdom, has a population of 7506 (mostly shield dwarves) and is ruled by King Mith Barak the Clanless, who spends 75 out of every 100 years sitting still as a solid mithral statue on his throne. During this time the Regency Council of Iltkazar rules the city. It's probably the best defended city in the whole Underdark.

Ergdusch Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 12:24:48
The following information is taken from the 2nd Ed. Adventure The Wyrmskull Throne:

Barakuir - deity was Laduguer
Ultoksamrin - deity was Dumathoin
Holorarar - merged after it's fall with Barakuir
Drakkalor - diety was Abbathor
Korolnor - deity was Diinkarazan
Sondarr - deity was Vergadain
Torglor - deity was Diirinka
Xothearin - deity was Sharindlar

As the information is taken from the discriptions of the differnet scepters linked to the Wyrmskull Throne and one other sceoter is mentioned the conclusion is close at hand that another sub-kingdom existed:

Iltkazar - deity was Clangeddin Silverbeard
ericlboyd Posted - 12 Aug 2006 : 11:27:02
Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark details all eight kingdoms and notes which ones were associated with which deities.

--Eric

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000