Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 race change

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nokom Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 22:05:43
Is tere anyway to magicaly change races? (Sorry if this is dumb :)
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ardashir Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 20:32:14
quote:
Originally posted by Aureus

quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

I imagine that this must get even worse for people of some importance or rank if it happens to them. "Wait, regent Alustriel was killed while riding patrol?" "Yes, and totally devoured save for a finger, but it's okay. We found a druid of Chauntea and they cast reincarnate... and here she is now." And in strolls a seven-foot tall female gnoll...

She would be the first goodlooking gnoll

You haven't seen some of the furry costuming I have (seriously, for some reason, a LOT of young ladies like costuming as hyena-gals).

quote:

A ring or amulet with an "alter self" castable once or twice per day would not be impossible to craft or aquire, but we can safly assume that there is no easy way to change races (either the looks or the entire thing)

Hmm, maybe I should harass poor Mister Greenwood with yet more questions politely ask him just how common (and how ell or badly regarded) race-changing is seen in the Realms?
Aureus Posted - 20 Sep 2008 : 01:29:46
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You could die, and hope for a lucky reincarnation... That's about the only method I can think of, off the top of my head.

Out of curiousity, why is this change desired? Is it something the character wants, and if so, why? Or is it something you, the player, want for your character?

This brings up something I've long wondered about -- if someone does die and gets reincarnated in a form vastly different from their old one (imagine an elf coming back as a dwarf, or even worse, as an orc!) just how exactly are they supposed to convince they're who they say they are? "Honest, cousin Vartan, I really am Lilthindel! Never mind the gray skin and tusks!"

I imagine that this must get even worse for people of some importance or rank if it happens to them. "Wait, regent Alustriel was killed while riding patrol?" "Yes, and totally devoured save for a finger, but it's okay. We found a druid of Chauntea and they cast reincarnate... and here she is now." And in strolls a seven-foot tall female gnoll...

Though I'm guessing that in the latter case they'd just get a wish cast on her ASAP.

She would be the first goodlooking gnoll

A ring or amulet with an "alter self" castable once or twice per day would not be impossible to craft or aquire, but we can safly assume that there is no easy way to change races (either the looks or the entire thing)
Hawkins Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 22:09:13
Just have baleful polymorph cast on your character and willingly fail the Fortitude save. The problem is that if after 24 hours you fail the Will save, you lose your memories. But you can use spells/potions/items to boost your Will save so the chances of failing are small.
Pandora Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 19:16:20
A dispellable way to change the race is Polymorph Any Object ... if your DM allows it.

Cheesy: This can be used to turn an Aasimar into an Angel or Deva or a Tiefling into a Demon, since they are outsiders.
Ardashir Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 18:47:45
quote:
Originally posted by Kalin Agrivar

Does the Players Handbook II have rules on evolving your character's race as well as their class?

Yes it does.

There was also something on the Wizards forum like a deck of many things tha5t allowed you to change your race, class, and whatnot, but man it's as random as all heck.
Ardashir Posted - 19 Sep 2008 : 18:46:08
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You could die, and hope for a lucky reincarnation... That's about the only method I can think of, off the top of my head.

Out of curiousity, why is this change desired? Is it something the character wants, and if so, why? Or is it something you, the player, want for your character?

This brings up something I've long wondered about -- if someone does die and gets reincarnated in a form vastly different from their old one (imagine an elf coming back as a dwarf, or even worse, as an orc!) just how exactly are they supposed to convince they're who they say they are? "Honest, cousin Vartan, I really am Lilthindel! Never mind the gray skin and tusks!"

Though I'm guessing that in the latter case they'd just get a wish cast on her ASAP.
Kentinal Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 03:01:34
Actually it would depend on if the bar is warded against other races, or is guarded with true seeing. Though it does not sound like it is warded against other races, because they would not be able to enter to have head cut off.

warlockco Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 22:07:49
quote:
Originally posted by Nokom

Well his size makes it easy to tell he is not human! He is 7 feet tall!

Hat of Disguise will still handle that.
Jorkens Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:51:51
Then a hat of disguise sounds like a good option. Besides, when he is seven feet tall, few people are going to go up to him and accuse him of anything. With a hat he can take the face and body form he needs and switch between bars so to speak.

As I said, there are methods of seeing through this disguise, but in general he will be OK.
Nokom Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:48:46
On the other hand he also needs to get in a bar that lets no one but humans in. If they find out he is human..... He will lose his head... (The three bars in Arabel)
Nokom Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 17:28:35
Well his size makes it easy to tell he is not human! He is 7 feet tall!
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 14:16:17
Does the Players Handbook II have rules on evolving your character's race as well as their class?
warlockco Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 12:32:30
quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

A hat of disguise is very cheap and could make your half-orc look human for as long as he needs

Yep, will work to "trick" most people. Just those nasty paranoid people going around with True Seeing all the time won't be fooled.
Kaladorm Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 12:29:04
A hat of disguise is very cheap and could make your half-orc look human for as long as he needs
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 07:15:22
quote:

Hmm... You see my guy wants to be human. He hates being an orc because he is hated and shuned. He has only one friend and that is a Halfling. He keeps a helm and armour on and says he is a giant human.

wear a funny hat
Jorkens Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 06:21:48
quote:
Hmm... You see my guy wants to be human. He hates being an orc because he is hated and shuned. He has only one friend and that is a Halfling. He keeps a helm and armour on and says he is a giant human.

Well it seems like you mostly want a cosmetic change, in that case a polymorph spell would solve the problem most of the time, though some powerful wizards and wards could detect this. But until a wish or similar magic came along it would fool 90% of everyone you meet. There is of course also hats of disguise and such that are more easily canceled but also lets you decide on how to look and can be reused later.
scererar Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 05:39:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Well reincarnation was one way to change race, but that a random roll and character had to die first *wink* in 2nd.

Polymorph other also was a way to go, if unable to save became the new race. Also 2nd.

In 3.5 Reincarnate still can work, but might need to die a few times (with assosciated level loses) to get desired form.

this was my thought as well
Kentinal Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 04:12:21
Well there is always Wish or Miricle that should work if nothing else does in 3.X. A modified girdle (instead of gender change) also might be an option. A permeriment polymorth enchanted into the girdle. Not sure how I would price it right now, but might be less expensive then a wish.
Nokom Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 03:56:12
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 03:55:27
Heh, Kentinal and I had the same idea, at about the same time. They say great minds think alike... That saying has no bearing on this situation, but it is a saying...
Kentinal Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 03:53:32
Well reincarnation was one way to change race, but that a random roll and character had to die first *wink* in 2nd.

Polymorph other also was a way to go, if unable to save became the new race. Also 2nd.

In 3.5 Reincarnate still can work, but might need to die a few times (with assosciated level loses) to get desired form.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 03:52:09
quote:

I was hoping to change my half-orc to human.

EytanBernstein Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 02:49:40
quote:

There are some interesting possibilities in Dragons of Faerun. (I won't say what they are...You'll have to buy the book :)
Nokom Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 02:27:55
The Sage Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 01:20:11
During 2e, Steven presented an option in The Lost Level adventure that would allow anyone to become a dwarf and retain their skills. As I recall, that was one of the weirder ways in 2e to allow for transformed races...

-- The adventure, BTW, is available for free download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
warlockco Posted - 03 Aug 2006 : 00:54:21
Savage Species also has suggestions on how one can change their race.
Again usually requiring a quest and/or magical ritual.
Foxhelm Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 22:12:01
Player's Handbook 2 has a whole section where you can retrain (Feats, Class Abilities, Skills, and such) and/or Rebuild (Class, Race, Sex, and such) your character. They involve quests and work with them. It has two such adventures.

The Wizard site has a couple of adventures or ideas that go with rebuilds and retrainings, like Sean K Reynolds Alterntive Deck of Many Things.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000