Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Database of FR entries?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Vlad Posted - 14 Aug 2005 : 10:55:46
I was wondering if there is somewhere a database will all references in FR products.. (Like, 'Drizzt' shows up in the following products: XXXX, pXX, etc) I was thinking of creating one myself, but if it already exits, I'll go for that one.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
EvilKnight Posted - 11 Oct 2006 : 03:30:39
Hello scribes,

The latest is up with The Twilight Tomb index added.

version 1.0
-Put ability for subject hyperlinks in notes panel for cross referencing.
-Added diacritic markings to source listing and source detail.
-Added hyperlink support into source notes on detail and html output.
-Added tooltip pop up to source abbreviation in generated html.
-Fix to funky HTML format in source listing in generated HTML.
-Divided up HTML generated pages so they would be smaller.
-Changed sorting to sort word-by-word.
-Cleaned up detail HTML generated pages to a more compact form.
-Created input file from jar file for start.htm page for generated HTML.
-Updated Cascade Style Sheet (CSS) file for integration into Candlekeep site's look and feel
-Fix print all bookmarks layout (still not paginating well).
-Right click on detail pane puts it into XML view of subject (start of ability to make changes).

See link in my sig.
Alaundo Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 08:38:18
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

Still working the FRCS. As soon as I finish that and do a cleanup of its entries, I plan on having it hosted here on Candlekeep.

EvilKnight

Well met

And it will be a pleasure to make room on the shelf for thy work, EvilKnight Keep up the good work.
EvilKnight Posted - 19 Sep 2006 : 05:38:58
Added some new features to help with Errata.

1. Notes can now include links to other subjects and they come out in the HTML generated also (See Thelnam, Tower of Lamentation, Tower Ithfel, and -72 DR Year of Splendor as examples).
2. Have a set of notes permenent in the jar file to add to.
3. Did a review and cleanup of entries for I-TLK, MF, RotSS, VoW, SoG and TGP.

Still working the FRCS. As soon as I finish that and do a cleanup of its entries, I plan on having it hosted here on Candlekeep.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 15 Sep 2006 : 01:47:42
Hello,

Back again. Added Requiem of the Shadow Serpent from the Oct Dungeon to the index. I've only added a few more pages to the FRCS. I'm within 5 pages of the end of the Geography section. the Impiltur one hasn't been updated.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 16 Jul 2006 : 06:33:36
I changed the home page again. Same location different set up. Decided not to host the index as HTML pages but zip them up for download.

http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/

Added in a first pass at George Krashos' new Impiltur Dragon article. I have two files for download. Both are zip files. One has the entire set of sources in HTML as well as the default JAR file program. (about 2.2 MB download)

The other has only the HTML files for covering the Impiltur article for review as well as the Jar file to only start up with the Impiltur article (using the supplied Danali.ini and Danali.properties files).

if you use the program and create a set of notes, consider shooting them my way for inclusion in future updates (the notes.xml file that gets created).

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 14 Jul 2006 : 17:18:34
I recompiled the version and put it back up again just now. Found I had problems on a Windows machine with an xml file. I was trying to trim down the JDOM included files but obviously something was missing that makes the thing not work as a stand alone jar file.

Any comments or friendly critiques out there for this tool?

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 14 Jul 2006 : 04:54:58
version 0.8 uploaded

-Handle non-existent bookmark selections

-Pull diacritic definitions out to a properties file for easy update

-Outputs a properties file if one does not exist.

-Outputs a starting initialization file if one does not exist

-Title set from properties file.

-Tabs defined from properties file.

-Initialzation file name defined in properties file.

-Implemented note taking for subjects. Notes saved to an xml file defined

in properties file

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 11 Jul 2006 : 05:10:02
Hello,

Middle of version 0.8. Added the latest Dungeon article Man Forever. Had to break some links on my site (delete files) to make room for it.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 06 Jul 2006 : 05:06:20
Hello all,

Danali Index version 0.7 is up.

Basically the same. Added back a way to include diacritics on a word by word basis. Up to page 200 in FRCS.

Cleaned up the web site a small bit but I hit my disk quota limit (and that is with the FRCS only with input files). Do no go to the Y or Z listing. By my calculation I should have another 200K of space to put files. Oh well.

http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 10 Jun 2006 : 04:35:20
Version 0.6 beta.

Added chunking to search results so you can actually work through all subjects found. I chunk both lists to 200 records. Too small, too large, or just right? Opinions on doing this? The reason is because very long lists will cause the program to hang while it is filling the list boxes.

I also reapportioned the sources between tabs. Added buttons to select or deselct all sources under each tab/sub-tab group.

Anybody trying this out? Not willing to touch beta software?

Future directions:
-) other output formats (TeX, PDF, XML)
-) menus
-) new entries interface

BTW: It has 29110 subject entries for searching and lookup.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 08 Jun 2006 : 15:23:10
Bug fix uploaded. Beta 0.5. Was missing last subject entry in each chunk set in the subjects.

On a Win2000 3GHz P4, startup time is 13-15 sec.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 08 Jun 2006 : 04:42:23
Hello,

Ready?

Version 0.4 uploaded. See link in earlier post. I've included Martyn's work with his permission. I have had to rework some issues due to the large amount of data now in there (chunking the subject list). Please wait for it: It has about a 20 sec load time on a Mac G4 Dual 1.25 GHz.

It weighs in at approximately 700kB. It will produce approximately 18MB of HTML pages if you have all sources selected. Martyn's data is straight subject-location. So I hope to work the 3e sources as I have been adding sub heading, cross references and connections.

I need to work the checkbox placement order and what tabs they go under. But I think we may be close to ready for prime time with this. With Martyn's data, it becomes another welcome reference to help find lore (not that I am looking to replace just asking the closest scribe standing around).

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 05 Jun 2006 : 04:20:34
The Danali.jar now beta at version 0.3.

I have implemented all functionality I had planned (including printing and saving settings/bookmarks automatically to a file called danali.ini). Printing can be a little funky in that it doesn't paginate well (only noticeable on long entries or printing all bookmarks and you have enough to cover more than one page). Printing has only been tested on Mac OS 10.3.9. I will provide another short note tomorrow is I find it does not work on Windows 2000.

I'm currently looking into a way to make the input files smaller. I plan on adding Martyn's file (it weighs in at 4.5 MB now. Hopefully a clean up may bring that way down). He has given me permission. I played with his file and it slows things way down when refreshing the lists. So future problems and changes may have to be considered (making certain updates on a strict as-needed basis and/or doing paging of info in code). May be better to go back to straight HTML pages and split up some pages into subsets.

Anyway, would love some feedback and ideas. I'm going back to slowly adding stuff from the FRCS. Just did a couple of dates from Kuje's So Sayeth Ed 2004 file to test using a date format for page references.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 03 Jun 2006 : 06:17:41
The Danali.jar now alpha 0.2.

What it does not do: print, save settings(bookmarks, source choices).

It is good for browsing and regular expression searches (but I have it limit searches to 100 or less returns). Also outputing HTML pages. I think you will like using this interface better than going through the HTML pages.

Please bang on it. Let me know what you like and don't like about it. Or just let me know you looked at it.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 02 Jun 2006 : 14:41:21
The Danali.jar file has been updated. It is still beta but the search page now shows my intentions for the program.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 29 May 2006 : 04:40:16
OK fellow Scribes,

I have uploaded an update and some alphaware (a runnable java program). Currently, the entire HTML version of the index weighs in at approximately 3.2MB. The start page all.htm is 300KB (with S.htm slightly bigger). I would hate to be on dailup and want to use it. I can see it eventually exceeding my allowed space of 5MB. With that in mind, I went ahead and made an alpha version of some software that will eventually become a interactive replacement for the HTML pages. It weighs in under 100KB and will currently produce the full set of HTML pages as seen on my home page.

I eventually see the 'Generate HTML' button becomming an 'Initialize Index' button and being replaced with a search box area that would bring up the subjects in the results tab. I would really appreciate some of you taking a look at it and giving some feedback. As a bonus you get the current HTML set of pages (if you select everything in the tabs and hit Generate HTML). See below for link to JAR file. It is compiled to conform to Java 1.4.

I am currently up to page 135 in the FRCS and the going is slow.

I'm looking for:
1. Interface ideas.
2. How you would expect it to work.
3. etc.

I have decided to name it after Danali the Indexer from Leaves of Learning. I may need to get permissions and/or some boiler plate copyright attributes.

HTML:
http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/HTML_Index/

JAR:
http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/HTML_Index/Danali.jar

Sincerely
EvilKnight
Alaundo Posted - 01 May 2006 : 10:34:09
quote:

Hello fellow scribes,

Back again for a short update. I have moved my site to http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/. Got broadband but 1/5 the web space. So I cut out all the individual example index listings and I am just showing the one that compiles them all together. I'm still slowly working the FRCS (not even a third of the way) but I did add a novel, The Glass Prison. I went for just the chapters for numbering purposes, instead of individual pages.

Feedback welcome.

So the index now contains:
Approximately 100 pages of the FRCS and Map of Faerun
The Glass Prison - novel
Sons of Gruumsh - adventure
Vampires of Waterdeep - Dungeon trilogy of adventures as well as a Prison Mail ref.

BTW: As of April 21, I am now the proud father of a little girl. Mother doing well and I am chasing the two year old boy around the house for my evening fun.

EvilKnight

Well met

First of all... congratulations, EvilKnight

I'll certainly take a look at thy work soon. A splendid project and some additions which i'm definately interested in
EvilKnight Posted - 01 May 2006 : 04:00:28
Hello fellow scribes,

Back again for a short update. I have moved my site to http://home.indy.rr.com/evilknight/. Got broadband but 1/5 the web space. So I cut out all the individual example index listings and I am just showing the one that compiles them all together. I'm still slowly working the FRCS (not even a third of the way) but I did add a novel, The Glass Prison. I went for just the chapters for numbering purposes, instead of individual pages.

Feedback welcome.

So the index now contains:
Approximately 100 pages of the FRCS and Map of Faerun
The Glass Prison - novel
Sons of Gruumsh - adventure
Vampires of Waterdeep - Dungeon trilogy of adventures as well as a Prison Mail ref.

BTW: As of April 21, I am now the proud father of a little girl. Mother doing well and I am chasing the two year old boy around the house for my evening fun.

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 21:42:32
Hello fellow scribes,

Martyn's madness is now up in hyperlinked pages. It is a straight conversion from his file with no cross references or multiple entries on keywords. Another words: no connections, no see also, no subheads. He is working on adding more to it and I will convert it and post it. It needs some work but it may be useful like it is.

http://home.att.net/~evilknight/MartynIndex/all.htm

It does not have a link from the other index work pages at http://evilknight.home.att.net/

EvilKnight
martynq Posted - 06 Dec 2005 : 11:50:55
I've put my file of records up for EvilKnight to access, but just in case anybody wants to see the extent of my lunacy...

http://uk.geocities.com/martyn_quick/tmp/FRindex.txt!

Martyn
Alaundo Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 17:02:02
Well met

Once again, a splendid piece of work, EvilKnight.

Having been toying with a similar idea over time, and speaking to other scribes, I wonder if mayhaps ye would find a similar idea of interest

I'll take this to a private message...
martynq Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 16:59:31
Perhaps I'll try seeing if I can put this text file somewhere accessible to the outside world and you can see just the degree of my lunacy!

Martyn
EvilKnight Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 14:44:08
Hello Martyn,

quote:
I may have missed it... but how are you producing the initial data for entering into your database?

I think much the same way as you. I follow a specific formating to the text files so they can be parsed by a java program. The program reads in the files and creates sorted treemaps of the data then prints out all the web pages. The format explaination can be found on the site: http://evilknight.home.att.net/File_Format_Description.htm

I'm still coming up with a few more rules for what to capture in the text files and the example below does not show some of them (like inserting SA "Divine" "Gift of the Divine" and changing names to list as # SB "Last, First" # followed by SA "First" "Last, First")

Example page from http://evilknight.home.att.net/FRCS/FRCS_Chap1
quote:
'Subject entries
49 SB "Maximize Spell" 1 'format: Page Subject_Designation Entry Importance
"hierophant" 2 'this is still a SB for page 49
"Gift of the Divine" 3
"Mastery of Energy" 3
"Metamagic Feat" 2
"Power of Nature" 3
"Spell Power" 3
"Spell-Like Ability" 3
"Lonafin" 2
"Velsharoon" 1
"Purple Dragon knight" 3
"Purple Dragon knight, illus" 3
"Cormyr" 2
"Faerun" 1
"War Wizards" 2

'Subheading entries
SH "feats" "Maximize Spell" 'under the heading 'feats' put 'Maximize Spell'
"prestige classes" "hierophant" 'this is another SH entry
"deities" "Velsharoon"
"hierophant" "Lonafin"
"prestige classes" "Purple Dragon knight"
"Cormyr" "Purple Dragon knight"
"Cormyr" "War Wizards"

'See Also entries
SA "Purple Dragon knight" "Cormyr"
"Purple Dragon knight" "Cormyr"

So far the best work procedure I've found is to work on every other page so I have enough disconnect to list what's on the page and not think I already got a certain subject because I just listed it on a previous page I read. I list SB entries without assigning an importance to them and make CNs, SAs, SHs as I see fit while doing this. Then I go back and put importance ratings on the SBs. So far that seems to work well. I am going back and revising the files for capturing other information like cross references I think are needed and different formatting of names. I need to write down these little rules and put them on the site also.

quote:
This is a massive undertaking - I guess my trying indicates I am truly crazy - and I think you need volunteers to help you complete it.

It is. I'm hoping to generate some interest. I figure I need to get the FRCS done and ask Alaundo for a shelf in the library to put the scrolls on. I've been pounding out smaller new sources to try and spread the idea around (Sons of Gruumsh, Vampires of Waterdeep). As Steven said:
quote:
Re: a database on all FR lore....

THERE LIES MADNESS!

First person to try it was Halaster, and look what happened to him.....

My dream is to get a core group of scribes like yourself (say 10) where we could divide up a source, pound out the text files compile them and post them in a week. I've been toying with incentives like giving a free zip file of the completed index to volunteer contributers or even compiling a special set that would match only one's library for dedicated contributers.

EvilKnight
martynq Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 09:12:33
Looks nice so far, EvilKnight.

I may have missed it... but how are you producing the initial data for entering into your database?

I've sort of been doing a similar thing for many years now, but the amount of FR books I have means it is far from complete. I've been trying to do a similar thing, but I suspect my data is incompatible with yours - I've worked my way through many of my FR books and made notes of each capitalized name occurring on the pages. I now have a massive text file, but still have vast numbers of FR pages to go.

This is a massive undertaking - I guess my trying indicates I am truly crazy - and I think you need volunteers to help you complete it.

Martyn
EvilKnight Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 16:19:47
Hello,

Another update to http://home.att.net/~evilknight/index.htm.

I've made a few changes but found it only looks good in Firefox and Safari at a higher than norm monitor resolution. Other than that, Have an index covering the Vampires of Waterdeep trilogy from Dungeon. And removed the special accent characters for now. and added a few more pages from the FRCS (MAN - talk about densely packed lore!).

EvilKnight
EvilKnight Posted - 28 Sep 2005 : 17:37:02
I have put up an Index for Sons of Gruumsh for review.

http://evilknight.home.att.net/HTML_Index/SoG

EvilKnight
Talinthonis Posted - 26 Sep 2005 : 21:41:47
There is only one word that comes to my mind when I see such great work : AMAZING! Thumbs up, don't give up! Should I have any free time on my hands, I'll see if I can help you with a file or two! :)
EvilKnight Posted - 23 Sep 2005 : 15:18:20
Hello scribes,

As an update, I have made a few changes to the Indexing project(http://home.att.net/~evilknight/index.htm).

One change is that you do not need separate files for the various entries. For indexing maps, I decided to let the folds of the map deliniate what I would call a page. I also started a test layout under FRCS Construction (http://home.att.net/~evilknight/HTML_Index/index.htm). It is a functional example now based on pages from FRCS and map, just a test layout. It looks good under IE (blah) and mostly scrunched up under Safari and Firefox (now working good - had a poorly formed CSS file). I've been trying to put as much formatting and layout as possible into a CSS file for easy update for different web sites (I'm thinkng of you Alaundo). If there is one of you that knows CSS and HTML, I would welcome someone redoing the test pages and sending me the example to code into the indexing software. As soon as I have the software outputting the HTML version of the index I'll be putting up an updated FRCS index with a handful of more pages put in and the Map of Faerun from the FRCS indexed also (which it is now doing).

For those of you that tried to look before Sat, I apologize for the messed up links.

Sage, I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

EvilKnight
The Sage Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 02:36:47
quote:

Hello fellow scribes,

The subject of indexes for the FR books got me digging into the ideas I had months ago. As such, I spent a few weeks working out my ideas and actually implementing them on a small scale as a proof of concept. I ended up spending a couple of all-niters over the labor day weekend to make it workable and I'm ready to share and get feedback from you.

I think this scheme or something similar makes the possibility of creating a FR Lore index do-able for a group of volunteers.

Please take a look at http://home.att.net/~evilknight. Let me know your thoughts.

You may try creating an SB and AH file from a few pages picked a random from your favorite FR books to see if it is understandable and give you ideas pro and con. Maybe some ideas for additions or changes to aspects of the process.

Thanks,
EvilKnight

I missed this earlier... but let me just say that this is an intriguing idea EvilKnight . I'm even tempted to try my hand at a few of my favorite FR sourcebooks myself.

I've got a few suggestions that I'd like to offer, but I'll discuss them with you in private (via PM).
Alaundo Posted - 07 Sep 2005 : 16:06:41
quote:

Thanks Brian. I consider that high praise from someone who has compiled wonderful realmslore.

BTW, should I move this announcement out to a new topic? My fear is that it will not get enough eyes if this scroll is considered dead.

EvilKnight

Well met, EvilKnight

Splendid work. Worry not, i'll happily include thy link on a forthcoming "important links" page here at Candlekeep

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000