Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Approach to Shade

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nightbreeze Posted - 28 May 2006 : 16:43:15
Sorry for the long introduction, but i'll come to the real question.

So, i'm DM-ing an low- epic campaign on Faerun and we arrived to 1371. Currently my players ( wizard/cleric 23 cr of shar, raksasha sor cr 22 of shar, warrior cr 22 of shar ) are investing all their respurces building a great temple of shar in Maerymidra (the matron and her daughters were killed by a mysterious balor). I changed the timing of the fall of Ched Nasad and now most of it's survivorslive in Maerimydra. My players don't rule the city, as they are not interested in doing so and they know it would lead to troubles, so they are happy to keep an alliance with the biggest 2 houses (both ruled by males), and they just go on with the construction of the temple. They plan to build a portal leading to Skullport, so shar's followers can arrive to the temple.

Now, they had a lot of problems with that balor who seems to be aan ally of Halruaa. First, they discoverer a flying ship under construction in Iltkazar, guarded by this one and a lot of wizards. As they are stupid, they tried to steal a piece of the strange metal the dwarves used for the ship, so the Haruaans nearly kicked their ass and when they returned home, they discovered that the balor has killed the matron, her daughters, destroyed the undying temple. After that, they noticed dozens of scrying spells on the temple and they tried to bully the halruuans, who deceived them into thinking that maybe the balor is not their ally. Now, thay got frustrated because the balor seems to have a permanent anti-magic field around him, but still can cast spells. He could have killed them, but he didn't.

Here we stopped, as we had to prepare some exams for the university. The raksasha player told me that they plan to concentrate on the temple and his organisation (leadership feat). He is also planning to contact the shar's temple of Calimshan, and some other major temples. He also plans to approach the city of shade, when it appears ( he is not metagaming, he simply stated that when his pc hears about that, he will try to approach the city and try to estabilish an alliance based on the common worship of Shar).

Now.

I've read the novels of Denning, and i don't want to change that story line. So they will learn about the summoning of shade some week after the event and they won't be able to change to major events: the siege of evereska, the battle of Tilvertoon and so on. Melegaunt will die, as Escanor and Rivalen (is he dead? i don't remember)

However is still don't perfectly understand Shade's relation to Shar. Obviously it's the major cult as they rely on the shadow weave and there are some devoted princes. However it seems to me that Telamont Tanthul is prouder in being a Netheres then the most powerful servant of the Dark Lady.

So how would he react to the approach of a servant of Shar who obviusly thinks that Shar is the real guide of Shade?
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nightbreeze Posted - 02 Jun 2006 : 13:54:32
Sadly, in my campaign on the first day of 1371 there was a terrrible massacre on the meeting of Haluraa's elders: 21 elders devoted to Shar were slain and only 2 managed to escape from the building and shortly after that, from Halruaa. The organizers were the High Temple of Mystra, Zalathorn and a strange balor. It's a shame, isn't it?

As for Telamont's post-Tilverton experiments, yes, ithink that he will be more careful too.

Also, i remember it is possible that very soon Telamont, may happen to speak with Ioulaum, as he captured a former apprentice. Of course she doesn't know that her master is sill alive, but I'm sure that Telamont will send someone to investigate.
Shadovar Posted - 02 Jun 2006 : 05:26:47
quote:
UUUh....tha shadowman...does that mean that there are non-shadovar shades? Oh, well.

Erevis cale is a good example of a Maskarran Shade priest and assassin. Yes, there are non-shadovar shades lurking around but their numbers are very few compared to the majority in service to Shade Enclave.

quote:
Anyway i suppose that for the next months Telamont is going to spread out his operations, and he may have a pretty good success. I mean, no one is really going to attack him, as the lord alliance, cormyr, sembia and the dalelands have too many trouble to worry about someone who seems to do nothing. He is going to send a great amount of research teams to recover old items and knowledge. He will probably try to gather some allies ( well, it would be intersting to see his reaction to Halruaans: they are much less Netherese from shadovars and although they speak Netherese he could dislike their worship for Mystra and "kindness"). He will go on with the Tilvertoon experiment ( i happened to read somewhere that therea re netherese warriors/wizards watching the city and taking the most interesting creatures that enter it).

Well, Telamont's research and recon teams had spread as far to the High Ice even. For contact with the Halruaans, Telamont is likely to contact the local Sharran branch in Halruaa, it is said that the Sharrans in Halruaa are becoming more influential and numerous even.
For Telamont is unlikely to repeat the Tilverton incident, because he is trying to reestablish the Netheril Empire, and I doubt his citizens want to live in a shadow wasteland like the shadowy plane they suffered in. Such shadow wasteland is devoid of life, beauty and less likely to support agriculture, so Telamont knows that too, he doesn't want a starving empire, a starving enclave is bad enough already. But it is well known that the Shadovars are seeking Netherese descendents for interrogation and investigation.

As for whether they will fight the lord alliance, well I will PM you about it because Telamont kicked somebody butt.
Nightbreeze Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 22:02:29
It's also cooler than being a lich
Ok, then, let's go and find this web enhancement.
Ok, it seems to me that the new infiltrators will soon beat the spynet of Zhent, Thay, Dragoncult & co. There far too well organized and equipped ( evn with shadow-weave hardly detectable spells)
KnightErrantJR Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 21:45:40
Not only is "the shadowman" an example of a non-Shadovar shade, but you may be interested in the City of Splendors: Waterdeep supplement when it comes to organizations that might have some Shade agents.

While there are a ton of shades in that particular Netherese enclave, they didn't invent the process. The first 3rd edition reference to shades was in the FRCS, but they have been around since the 1st edition Monster Manual II (Jarran Krimeah, the Mage of the Valley in Greyhawk became a Shade because it extended his life and was preferable to becoming a lich).

Nightbreeze Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 20:48:51
UUUh....tha shadowman...does that mean that there are non-shadovar shades? Oh, well.

Anyway i suppose that for the next months Telamont is going to spread out his operations, and he may have a pretty good success. I mean, no one is really going to attack him, as the lord alliance, cormyr, sembia and the dalelands have too many trouble to worry about someone who seems to do nothing. He is going to send a great amount of research teams to recover old items and knowledge. He will probably try to gather some allies ( well, it would be intersting to see his reaction to Halruaans: they are much less Netherese from shadovars and although they speak Netherese he could dislike their worship for Mystra and "kindness"). He will go on with the Tilvertoon experiment ( i happened to read somewhere that therea re netherese warriors/wizards watching the city and taking the most interesting creatures that enter it).
scererar Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 02:57:32
I am not sure how much of netheril he is trying to re-create, but he is up to something in this regards. I do believe that Shade is trying to establish themselves within the realms, under the pretense of lost netrheril, but my opinion is Shar will have a heavy hand in anything set forth by Telemont and his crew. My belief is thaat they are too far gone my friend, to try to get back what they lost. I see a push for an attempt at total control over the realms.
Shadovar Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 02:41:50
quote:
Secondly, according to you, what are Telamonts plans now? It seems to me that the cult of Shar is gathering more and more power ( as there are now two artifacts in her temple) ( and, about the temple, i'd leke to repeat my question: did Telamont give the stone to Yser, or he stole it?)

Telamont's one goal is to reestablish the Netherese Empire again, but he is likely supervising his fellows on several tasks at hand such as the excavations of ancient sites, recruiting allies and weakening his enemies from the shadows. But Telamont always had a way of striking his enemies without his enemies noticing. I believed Telamont entrusted to Yder(if I can recall correctly)and left it under heavy guard, later it was stolen by Malik the Seraphim of lies but slipped from his fingers into the Lake of Shadows during the enclave's instability, which Shar took it back.

Well, for Tilverton....it is hard to wonder what the Shadovar can do there, it is a shadow infested ruin haunted by shadows and other shadowy creatures. But best check Paul's upcoming novel to see what the Shadovar's (one of their plans ongoings) progress.

scererar Posted - 01 Jun 2006 : 02:25:20
Yes, I can not wait for the book to be available. The sample chapter by itself is enough of an incentive to run out and be first in line for this next novel. This next novel of Paul's is the first of what I am sure will be a very successful trilogy, for Paul, realms fans, and just the realms in general.
Kajehase Posted - 31 May 2006 : 15:00:59
Nightbreeze: Keep an eye out for Paul S Kemp's upcoming Twilight War-trilogy (Shadowbred [sample chapter], Shadowstorm, and Shadowrealm.
Nightbreeze Posted - 31 May 2006 : 14:19:24
First, thanks for the spoiler.

Secondly, according to you, what are Telamonts plans now? It seems to me that the cult of Shar is gathering more and more power ( as there are now two artifacts in her temple) ( and, about the temple, i'd leke to repeat my question: did Telamont give the stone to Yser, or he stole it?)

According to the end of RotA, it seems that Telamont has completely subjugated the will of the powerful dragolich, but he is going to hide for a while and strike when his enemies less espect it. Also, IIRC, there are two main missions (as we know): the Tilertoon experiment and something in the underdark (near the greatest creature of the realms, the mushroom ^^ )

Oh, well, i gathered most of the info i need, thank you all!
Shadovar Posted - 31 May 2006 : 01:30:18
quote:
Hmm...Alashar Crywinds as an avatar of Shar, huh? Whoa....yes, it may be, but i don't really see her even acting as a women in love...however it could be a possible reason for her apparent desappearance and Telamont's grudge against the clergy.

Maybe, but quite hard to believe he had a grudge on the clergy given the position of the clergy in the hierachy.

quote:
So, let us move the thread to another topic: the moving of an entire city among the planes. Telamont was able to shift to the Shadowplane, then back, then again to the Shadowplane, but then he was strucked there for 1700 years. Why? Maybe the Shadow weave wasn't strong enough to sustain all those travels? Or maybe it was Shar's scheme? I mean, it seems that she guided him through the entire process, then what happened? Shadovars had to stay on the Shadow demiplane for 1700 years, they got evil and powerful, they developed a strong connection with the shadow essence, many of them praise Shar as their saver and just now that the knowledge about the shadow weave is spreading among the Realms and there's a new (and a little bit unexperienced) Mystra, the enclave comes back, spreading awe and terror among Faerun? I would see that as a long-timed but almost perfectly successful plan ( maybe she didn't count the great pride of being Netherese)

The Shadow Weave somehow can't support spells that uses energy especially evocation, such transitions between planes involves a lot of energy, given that Telamont was so stuck with the Shadow Weave, he cannot use the Weave to transit his enclave back. It was said that Shar was pretty disappointed that the Shadovar can't get back to the mortal plane, and she hardly lifted a finger to help them. I think it was the harsh circumstances and environment of their shadowy environment that made the Shadovar evil and yet powerful in their own right. So the transition back to the mortal plane is "blessed by Shar" as preached by the clergy, but I think Telamont likes to hide secrets from his own people. But Shade won't stand for long if Opus returns and the other MIA enclave of Doubloon.

quote:
Also, as about Karse stone, did Telamont give it to Yser, or he simply stole it? Now it's on the bottom of the lake beneath Shade, right?

Shar took it back, it was a sign of her dominance of the Shadow Weave.

quote:
Also, could someone make me a spoiler about the events happening in "Mistress of the Night" ?

Tell you what, I will PM you about it very soon.
Nightbreeze Posted - 30 May 2006 : 20:29:14
Hmm...Alashar Crywinds as an avatar of Shar, huh? Whoa....yes, it may be, but i don't really see her even acting as a women in love...however it could be a possible reason for her apparent desappearance and Telamont's grudge against the clergy.

So, let us move the thread to another topic: the moving of an entire city among the planes. Telamont was able to shift to the Shadowplane, then back, then again to the Shadowplane, but then he was strucked there for 1700 years. Why? Maybe the Shadow weave wasn't strong enough to sustain all those travels? Or maybe it was Shar's scheme? I mean, it seems that she guided him through the entire process, then what happened? Shadovars had to stay on the Shadow demiplane for 1700 years, they got evil and powerful, they developed a strong connection with the shadow essence, many of them praise Shar as their saver and just now that the knowledge about the shadow weave is spreading among the Realms and there's a new (and a little bit unexperienced) Mystra, the enclave comes back, spreading awe and terror among Faerun? I would see that as a long-timed but almost perfectly successful plan ( maybe she didn't count the great pride of being Netherese)

Also, as about Karse stone, did Telamont give it to Yser, or he simply stole it? Now it's on the bottom of the lake beneath Shade, right?

Also, could someone make me a spoiler about the events happening in "Mistress of the Night" ?

Thank you for your patience.
Shadovar Posted - 30 May 2006 : 02:34:01
quote:
Originally posted by Nightbreeze

Well, i don't really agree with your opinion about Melegaunt. He was able do deceive every single human or elf he met ( he even played Elminster ) and everyone believed him good and innocent. He could be a very good negotiator or diplomat and even if at 20th level he's the lowest among the princes, that's not a power to scoff at. Besides, there's still the matter with Escanor, who is even more powerful.

Melegaunt for unknown reasons is just a slightly above average magician, much to the disappointment of his father.But he is a excellent actor and there are few people he cannot convince with his acting. He could had served as an excellent spymaster for Shade Enclave. It was probably that Melegaunt's use had expired that Shade decided not to get him back to life, for Melegaunt was remembered in Shade as a statue. Escanor was a kind of disappointment, more interested in personal things than for the glory of the Shadovar, his father didn't bother much about him.

quote:
Scrolling the Netheril document, i noticed the city of Doubloon. During the Shadowed age, it was either rendered invisible by it's archmage( and probably destroyed during the fall) or banished by Karsus to a fiendish demiplane discovered by Shadow. So, the funny question is: Would Telamont have the spellpower to return the city to the realms, acting as he is not lord Shadow and promising freedom in change of loyalty? A second enclave inhabited by fiendish netherese would be a nasty surprise for Faerun.

Well, it was said that Telamont back then had the power to move his enclave in and out of the shadow plane once, but when he moved his enclave into the shadow plane again, for unknown reasons, his enclave stayed in the shadow plane for much longer than planned. It was with the Karsus Stone that the enclave managed to return home. It was believed that Telamont relied on the Shadow Weave too much, and that the Shadow Weave cannot support such kind of inter-planar transitions so Shade Enclave stayed in the Shadowy plane for very long.

As for Doubloon, it is confirmed it was banished but no official confirmation of its current existence and status other than the confirmation of Shade Enclave and Opus (Selunarra) Enclave existence.

quote:
Ah, yes. I don't know anythink about Telamont's wife, may you enlighten me?

I though that Telamont would be very political too, because he's rather polite with all strangers, but how would he react of the servants of shar offered to help shade in some way? Would he trust them?

As about Telamont's wife, nobody ever seen her since they entered the shadow plane, Telamont never talked about it. Alashar Crywinds, her name was. Many fans liked to believe her as a Avatar of Shar, who helped soldify the faith of Shar in the enclave.

Telamont can trust the servants of Shar, but not too trustingly as his own clergy also used the Faerunian based Sharrans as expendable toys as well. So, it would take some time through repeated trials and tests before Telamont can deem the Servant of Shar trustworthy enough. As for help, Telamont would welcome an alliance of convenience, but even in this alliance, it is a fragile alliance.

Nightbreeze Posted - 29 May 2006 : 20:57:00
Well, i don't really agree with your opinion about Melegaunt. He was able do deceive every single human or elf he met ( he even played Elminster ) and everyone believed him good and innocent. He could be a very good negotiator or diplomat and even if at 20th level he's the lowest among the princes, that's not a power to scoff at. Besides, there's still the matter with Escanor, who is even more powerful.

Also, it doesn't matter if you write down a spoiler, as i'm not going to read any novel soon.

Scrolling the Netheril document, i noticed the city of Doubloon. During the Shadowed age, it was either rendered invisible by it's archmage( and probably destroyed during the fall) or banished by Karsus to a fiendish demiplane discovered by Shadow. So, the funny question is: Would Telamont have the spellpower to return the city to the realms, acting as he is not lord Shadow and promising freedom in change of loyalty? A second enclave inhabited by fiendish netherese would be a nasty surprise for Faerun.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 29 May 2006 : 17:10:12
Just to clarify (and I don't think this is a spoiler, since its already been mentioned tangentially), Rivalen is still alive, and we know this because he appeared at the begining of the novel Mistress of the Night. Right at the begining, so its not a shock or anything revealed later . . . and there is no reference to him being ressurected, but either he had some kind of contingency going, or he was indeed resurrected.

Melegaunt didn't seem quite as cutthroat to me, so perhaps his father didn't deem him worthy of being raised.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2006 : 17:07:46
Arrgghh! Again?

Here's the link:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads

As for Telamont's wife... I recall a speculative scroll about that very subject a while back (one of the game designers chimed in on the discussion as I recall). A search might reveal more...
Kuje Posted - 29 May 2006 : 17:02:40
The lore about Telamont's wife can be found in the Netheril box set, which is on the free download list on the WOTC site.

Pokes Wooly or Sage to post the link. :)

WOTC has neglected to mention, in any current lore, that Telemont had a wife and none of us know what happened to her....
Nightbreeze Posted - 29 May 2006 : 13:39:45
Ah, yes. I don't know anythink about Telamont's wife, may you enlighten me?

I though that Telamont would be very political too, because he's rather polite with all strangers, but how would he react of the servants of shar offered to help shade in some way? Would he trust them?

Also, if Rivalen is still alive, how is possible that the two dead princes haven't been resurrected yet? They are very precios resources

Also, don't you think that Hardrune should have higher stats? I mean, everyone fears him, even Rivalen, and i know that most of that is beacause he's Telamont's left hand, but heck, at 20th level Melegaunt was the weakest one of them, so Hardrune should be really better.

How would Rivalen or Iser approach the new arrived?
Shadovar Posted - 29 May 2006 : 02:51:16
Telamont is wise enough not to step on the Dark Goddess's skirts, besides I am sure the clergy in the Shadovar often reminded their followers that it was Shar's grace that they survived. Telamont knows that even though it would be below him to admit such a fact.

I think Telamont would welcome that servant of Shar in a rather "political welcome" manner initially, but Telamont was never shown to have much interest in religion and despite the rumors that surround his wife, I am sure Telamont would leave the entertainment of the Servant of Shar to his son-Rivalen Tanthul(supposedly still alive today) a High Priest of Shar to do the talking and entertain the servant of Shar but Telamont would ensure that the Servant of Shar is fairly well treated as a guest of Shade and that no offense is made against the Servant.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000