Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dwarves and Arcane Magic

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Archwizard Posted - 26 May 2006 : 04:13:25
Were there shield dwarven wizards in 2e?

This was an interesting topic that came up on the WotC boards. Back in the days of 2e, by standard AD&D rules, Dwarves could not be wizards or arcane casters. It was explained as a combination of their natural resistance to spells and their more martial and divine magic based culture that prevented them from taking up the Art. It was brought up in the discussion that FR had a few Gold Dwarf wizards, which is not unexpected seeing as FR broke several of the old AD&D race/class restrictions (non-neutral bards, non-human paladins, etc.)

With 3e, dwarven wizards are not a problem, but it would be nice if any potential dwarven arcane tradition could be tied back to something in the old lore.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 31 May 2006 : 05:59:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I could buy the "rare beforehand" explanation if it was simply addressed somewhere. But it isn't -- so it's another of the "oh, it was always like this, but no one noticed" things.

Agreed.

It seems quite the stretch to suggest Dwarves have always pursued wizardry, even though no such specific mention of it occured until the designers gave us Bronia Stonesplitter.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2006 : 05:16:46
quote:
Originally posted by AlacLuin

I think this is the way it worked, a dwarven wizard was rare.
So rare the core rules didn't allow it.
3.X comes around, and it is no longer fordibin.
In the Realms, dwarves have the thunder blessing, along with this is a new mindset that makes dwarven wizards less rare.

But my beef with it, though, stems from the fact that in 2E, if a magical item was not dwarf- or class-specific, there was a good chance it would fail if a dwarf used it. And other than a couple of isolated cases, there were no dwarven mages. With the Thunder Blessing, they had the perfect chance to explain how an actively non-magical race could suddenly have arcane spellslingers. Instead, they spun it like they were always around...

I could buy the "rare beforehand" explanation if it was simply addressed somewhere. But it isn't -- so it's another of the "oh, it was always like this, but no one noticed" things.
AlacLuin Posted - 31 May 2006 : 04:43:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Now... That's a bit trickier. One of the things that bugs me about the way 3E was inflicted on the Realms was the way things were casually retconned with no explanation. Despite the fact that the Thunder Blessing was a perfect opportunity to explain why dwarven spellslingers were now possible, the official stance seems to be that the dwarven casters were always around -- which chucks the 2E "dwarves and magic don't mix" concept out the window. The Thunder Blessing could have easily, with just a sentence or two, explained it, but nowhere is it stated -- or even, so far as I can recall, implied -- that the Thunder Blessing had anything at all to do with dwarven magic.

So, from the standpoint of the current lore, dwarves don't have a problem with magic and never have had one. Races of Faerūn discusses their attitudes and preferences towards magic.

I think this is the way it worked, a dwarven wizard was rare.
So rare the core rules didn't allow it.
3.X comes around, and it is no longer fordibin.
In the Realms, dwarves have the thunder blessing, along with this is a new mindset that makes dwarven wizards less rare.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 31 May 2006 : 02:07:04
quote:
Originally posted by Archwizard

Continuing the discussion. Are Dwarves now biased against arcane magic due to cultural reasons or physiological ones? How was that handled in the Realms during 2e and before?

In 2E, it was both. Magic was unreliable for dwarves in 2E, and given the dwarven attitudes towards skill and hard work, it's quite understandable that they'd tend to shun magic.

Now... That's a bit trickier. One of the things that bugs me about the way 3E was inflicted on the Realms was the way things were casually retconned with no explanation. Despite the fact that the Thunder Blessing was a perfect opportunity to explain why dwarven spellslingers were now possible, the official stance seems to be that the dwarven casters were always around -- which chucks the 2E "dwarves and magic don't mix" concept out the window. The Thunder Blessing could have easily, with just a sentence or two, explained it, but nowhere is it stated -- or even, so far as I can recall, implied -- that the Thunder Blessing had anything at all to do with dwarven magic.

So, from the standpoint of the current lore, dwarves don't have a problem with magic and never have had one. Races of Faerūn discusses their attitudes and preferences towards magic.
Archwizard Posted - 31 May 2006 : 00:27:57
Continuing the discussion. Are Dwarves now biased against arcane magic due to cultural reasons or physiological ones? How was that handled in the Realms during 2e and before?
Wandering_mage Posted - 28 May 2006 : 02:35:45
I actually have a Dwarf Necromancer in the game I am DM'ing. I told the player to read the Compendium that we have already referenced for some info. He was able to put together a backstory that involved him being kicked out of Mithral Hall and wandering about the Underdark. He also came into the apprenticeship of a drow Jergal worshipper. Anyways, I think the Dwarves need some serious emphasis to recover from the lack of attention. Hammer of Moradin, I wish you luck in your next article.
hammer of Moradin Posted - 27 May 2006 : 22:41:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I actually read that article and thought it was very informative. I definitely suggest that any one interested in the Dwarven use and study of arcane magic read the Candlekeep Compedium referenced by Hammer of Moradin. It even has what schools of magic the Dwarves favor.

Thanks! Please, let me know which parts were of use, and any that were not. All the scribes of the Compendium value your feedback, and there is a scroll dedicated to such opinions on the same shelf as this scroll, the General Forgotten Realms Chat area.

Now, for my next article I thought about exploring the depths of dwarven evil, including that of dwarf necromancers!
Wandering_mage Posted - 27 May 2006 : 19:12:26
I actually read that article and thought it was very informative. I definitely suggest that any one interested in the Dwarven use and study of arcane magic read the Candlekeep Compedium referenced by Hammer of Moradin. It even has what schools of magic the Dwarves favor.
hammer of Moradin Posted - 27 May 2006 : 16:35:00
In one of my Candlekeep Compendium (see link in my sig), I explore the Thunder Blessing, and dwarven wizards. The young seem to be setting the new traditions with arcane magic, and since they are all relatively young, most of them have not had the time to establish schools and organizations. But! that does not mean they do not exist. Dwarves are nothing if not tenacious, and even the young wizards will have more than a few far-thinkers establishing organizations and schools for learning.
I can see the gold dwarves leading this push with the strict heirarchy they already have established in their society, while the shield dwarves would likely have a few 'rebels' taking on students here and there.
Remember, though, that in the North and Silver Marches, there are some pretty good schools of magic formed by the other races that would take on dwarven students. Just because it is not in the books yet, doesn't mean that one of the designers could not just drop it in somewhere and have it click on all levels. Especially since dwarves in particular are close-knit, and seldom share their lore with said designers (or is it that little is written about dwarves in general, hmmm....).
scererar Posted - 27 May 2006 : 02:15:21
races of Faerun states basically the same for both gold and shield dwarves
Vainelus Posted - 26 May 2006 : 17:49:27
Dwarves still do not have a strong tradition of arcane magic in the Realms even in 3rd edition. Dwarves still generally distrust arcane magic, and are more comfortable with divine casters. The rules simply provide for the possibility of dwarven arcane casters now. The only mention of a dwarven arcane tradition being developed that I know of is in the LEoF. Xothol was a dwarven college of wizardry designed to counter the growing power of the Netherese. However, once Nethril fell the dwarves no longer fell it was necessary to pursue arcane studies on such a large scale. This info is located on page 87.
The Sage Posted - 26 May 2006 : 05:45:32
Don't forget the option Steven put into The Lost Level adventure that would allow anyone to become a dwarf and retain their skills. As I recall, that was one of the weirder ways in 2e to allow for dwarven wizards...

-- The adventure, BTW, is available for free download at WotC:- http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads
scererar Posted - 26 May 2006 : 04:36:24
yes very rare, not the norm, and the thunder blessing bridged this issue at the transition between 2E and 3E. from what I remember, the rules did not allow these "rare" dwarven wizrads, but a few came about from sourcebooks and other periodicals throughout the the years of 2E.
Kuje Posted - 26 May 2006 : 04:29:36
Yes, there was a few dwarven wizards in 2e. :) But it was rare.

Behring, 3rd Wizard, Male Dwarf, CN, Lives in Daggerford. One of the rare dwarves that can wield magic, The North: Daggerford
scererar Posted - 26 May 2006 : 04:17:49
2E rules prohibited dwarves from being spell casters, except for clerics/ priests. Dwarves even had a chance of failure when using a magical item that was not weapon or armor related.

The thunder blessing was the bridge for this issue, from 2E to 3E

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000