Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The future of the Moonflower lineage

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 05:12:41
So who do you think will inherit the position of Queen of Evermeet when the Chosen of the Seldarine (for lack of a better term for her) steps down or dies?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 25 Aug 2012 : 13:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

As well he should be.

Seriously, you just made my day.

And I wouldn't worry about the dance choreography and waning flexibility. This is Sune's temple we're talking about. Who needs knees when you have veils? (Although, come to think of it, the ability to bend over backwards and grab your ankles is always a good conversation starter.)

As for the other denominations, just pass out the line dances that we're finished with. I'm getting visions of entire battalions of Torm's paladins executing the macarena with somber precision, gnomes doing the Electric Slide, and Grummsh-fearing orcs hooking their thumbs in their weapon belts and dancing to Achy Breaky Heart. It's not pretty, but it'll save time.

Just reading the last paragraph made my day!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 24 May 2006 : 13:23:21
As well he should be.

Seriously, you just made my day.

And I wouldn't worry about the dance choreography and waning flexibility. This is Sune's temple we're talking about. Who needs knees when you have veils? (Although, come to think of it, the ability to bend over backwards and grab your ankles is always a good conversation starter.)

As for the other denominations, just pass out the line dances that we're finished with. I'm getting visions of entire battalions of Torm's paladins executing the macarena with somber precision, gnomes doing the Electric Slide, and Grummsh-fearing orcs hooking their thumbs in their weapon belts and dancing to Achy Breaky Heart. It's not pretty, but it'll save time.
The Hooded One Posted - 24 May 2006 : 02:26:33
Awww, Elaine! You went and told everyone about the dance choreography! Now EVERY temple will want Ed to do THEIRS, too!
It's not as if his knees are getting any younger . . .
love,
THO
P.S. Ed is very fond of you, you know.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 23 May 2006 : 10:11:21
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Is it a genetical defect of the Golds that they look down on everyone else(in varying degrees), or is it simply how they have been educated?

Prejudice is a learned behavior.
khorne Posted - 23 May 2006 : 09:50:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Hrrr.....why is it that elves are so prejudiced against half-elves? And is it all elves, not just the gold, who have this animosity?

I'd say it's more of a gold elf thing... And I think they view half-elves as being a taint upon all that is good and pure about elves. To a gold elf, elves are the highest form of life that could possibly exist. Mixing their blood with that of a lesser race produces a mongrel. And it's an affront because what elf would willingly lay with a human?

Is it a genetical defect of the Golds that they look down on everyone else(in varying degrees), or is it simply how they have been educated?
Shadovar Posted - 23 May 2006 : 01:41:45
I strongly agree that the elves of Evermeet would willingly assassinate arilyn moonblade first than see a half-elf on the throne. Accepting a half-breed on the throne would go against the established tradition in Evermeet and go against what realms' fans had accepted for a very long time. I don't think the gold elves are the only ones to go against a half-breed, even the other elven sub-races such as moon, wood and wild elves would also show some level of contempt to a half-breed on the throne though they may not voice their contempt very directly but in other fashions. Even the drow are famous for looking down on half-drow as well.

Also, having a moonblade doesn't always gurantee ascension to the throne of Evermeet. The ancient traditions of the moonblade choosing a heir are hardly relevant to the current events and the current elves of Evermeet, to them these traditions are not flexible to meet the current needs that Evermeet faces today.
dannyfu Posted - 22 May 2006 : 18:55:03
prejudice or not, you all have to admit that the likelyhood of arilyn becoming queen is not a possiblity. the fact she wields a moonblade is her "thing" that makes her character unique and such. but for a half elf to be queen of the elves would never fly in the realms or with fans. it would just be completely out of character for the race as a whole. i think all d&d fans, even if they love arilyn, could see that it would be wrong for something like that to happen. all prejudice aside, it's just not appropriate. it would be no different then having a dwarf as ruler of the elves, it just would never happen.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 May 2006 : 22:22:42
quote:

Hrrr.....why is it that elves are so prejudiced against half-elves? And is it all elves, not just the gold, who have this animosity?

I'd say it's more of a gold elf thing... And I think they view half-elves as being a taint upon all that is good and pure about elves. To a gold elf, elves are the highest form of life that could possibly exist. Mixing their blood with that of a lesser race produces a mongrel. And it's an affront because what elf would willingly lay with a human?
khorne Posted - 21 May 2006 : 20:35:48
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

Yeah, well if a certain young Lady Moonblade does wind up ascending the throne of Evermeet, Elaith will probly have a heartattack, that means she'd be taking Danilo with her, though to be fair, he likely knows alot more about elves, than some elves. (I.E: The Evermeet novel)

I don't see that happening. The elven prejudices against half-elves are simply too strong... The elves of Evermeet would accept Danilo as a ruler long before they'd accept Arilyn.

Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 May 2006 : 17:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by elven_songstress

Yeah, well if a certain young Lady Moonblade does wind up ascending the throne of Evermeet, Elaith will probly have a heartattack, that means she'd be taking Danilo with her, though to be fair, he likely knows alot more about elves, than some elves. (I.E: The Evermeet novel)

I don't see that happening. The elven prejudices against half-elves are simply too strong... The elves of Evermeet would accept Danilo as a ruler long before they'd accept Arilyn.
elven_songstress Posted - 20 May 2006 : 11:17:40
ElaineCunningham Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 20:42:04
I really don't think WotC is trying to court new readers at the expense of long-term readers, nor do I feel that older characters and grey-haired writers are getting pushed out by young whippersnappers with swords and/or computers.

Bob Salvatore's books still outsell everyone else's, several times over. Ed Greenwood is still writing books and game products and short stories and articles and reams of online lore and grocery lists and, for all I know, the dance choreography for the spring rites at Sune's temples. :) Some first- and second-edition writers have wandered off, spending more time writing in other shared worlds and/or their own, original fiction--or for that matter, pursuing other professions.

Troy Denning is busy with Star Wars books. Doug Niles has been writing his own stuff for quite a while. Jeff Grubb is working for a game company, and I don't believe he's writing full-length fiction these days. I'm not sure what his wife, Kate Novak, is doing, but I haven't seen any of her work for ages and last I heard, she had a day job. Scott Ciencin has been busy writing a bunch of Dinotopia books, comic books, and his own fiction. Jim Lowder has been writing some short fiction, but over the past several years he has been doing more editing than writing.

I've written a Star Wars novel and just finished a book set in the world of Norath, the setting of the EverQuest game. I'm also a couple of books into a contemporary urban fantasy series, I've been writing quite a bit of short fiction in settings of my own creation, and I'm finishing off a "paranormal romance" novella that I hope will lead to a series of linked novels. I've also been working on a historical novel for years, off and on, and I have several more historical novel projects in the pipeline. There's a short story coming out this month in the anthology Modern Magic (Available from the publisher, www.fantasistent,com, on April 19!) with characters I enjoyed writing about so much I sent the story to my agent and asked if he thought there was the seed for a book in there. He responded with more enthusiasm than he has yet shown to any of my projects, which is a pretty good sign. In summary, I'm not spending as much of my writing time in the Realms these days. There are many stories I would LIKE to write, but not enough hours in the day.

And I should also point out that on at least one occasion, WotC was willing to let me run with an old story thread. My story for Realms of the Elves would have picked up the story of Prince Lamruil and the Tree of Souls. This story remains untold, not by any decision by WotC, but because I ran into the deadline wall due to a medical problem.

Also consider the passage of time in the Realms. The Chosen are vitually immortal, and key NPCs are generally able to extend their lives through potions of longevity and such, but eventually a warrior king such as Azoun will fall in battle. Eventually Mirt's failing heart will stop beating. And as one young reader observed, Danilo must be in his early thirties by now, so what sort of adventure could HE possibly have? ::sigh::

And there's another issue, one that's of no small importance to writers who love the Realms. There are times when significant rule changes and/or other people's fiction change the way your existing stories will be read and perceived. Eventually, there may come a time when those characters and stories have no place in the current Realms. It's a reality of shared-world fiction that writers AND readers have to add to the equasion.

SirUrza Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 22:30:25
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza

Blame Wizards danny. They apparently think theirs no interest in Arilyn and company.

Well, WotC must have some interest since we already know Elaine's got a new Danilo and Arilyn novel in the works supposedly said to taken place in both Waterdeep and Tethyr.

So I wouldn't say there's no interest from WotC in exploring further tales such as these.

Yes.. I recently discovered they've finally asked her to do a 6 sixth book in the series. Maybe they're realizing they can't alienate what made the Realms good by pushing new authors, no characters only.
Shadovar Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 09:34:24
quote:

Blame Wizards danny. They apparently think theirs no interest in Arilyn and company.

I doubt so that WotC would give up on Arilyn and company so easily when this series have the potential to become an popular series and important source of revenue.
Dargoth Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 09:28:15
Id be willing to place money on an Elves of Faerun coming out in 2007
The Sage Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 07:57:44
quote:

Well, WotC must have some interest since we already know Elaine's got a new Danilo and Arilyn novel in the works supposedly said to taken place in both Waterdeep and Tethyr.

So I wouldn't say there's no interest from WotC in exploring further tales such as these.
SirUrza Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 06:58:00
dannyfu Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 02:33:51
yes I have read Evermeet. I'm basically talking about a new book that focuses on the present affairs of the clan. I actually asked Elaine if she would consider doing some sort of follow up to Evermeet for this purpose and she said anything is possible, but sadly she personally had no plans of making a follow up.

Basically I'm a huge elf fan and love books like Evermeet and the Last Mythal that focus on the elves of the Realms as a whole.
silvermage Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 01:26:53
quote:
It would be nice to have a novel come out eventually that focuses entirely on the moonflower clan and there whereabouts and perhaps with even some more flashbacks to the days of King Zaor like in Evermeet.

Have you read Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine? The Book is pretty well detailed about the origins of the Moonflower clan and their rivals, even include Zaor's first meeting with Amlaruil shortly after the futile defense of Myth Drannor.
dannyfu Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 17:53:34
With all this being said, I too do not wish for Almaruil and the glory of Evermeet to fade anytime soon. There is going to be enough change for the elves with the Returning coming up fast, which spurs enough questions in my mind. As it was said earlier in the post, Evermeet is the uniting of Faerun and Arvandor, An undying land-ish quality to it.

It would be nice to have a novel come out eventually that focuses entirely on the moonflower clan and there whereabouts and perhaps with even some more flashbacks to the days of King Zaor like in Evermeet
The Sage Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 14:38:58
quote:

Keep in mind that there are other Moonflowers out there... Even though it appears that many have been lost or scattered, Elaine has said that the elves know where some of these lost kiddies are. Any of those lost kids could be an ideal candidate.

And let's not forget Elaith and Amnestria's child...

As Elaine said in April last year -

"Yes, several of the royal Moonflower children are dead or MIA. But if you keep in mind that the book is told from a human's point of view, with all the limitations that suggests, the phrase "nothing is known" takes on a different meaning. The ELVES know the fate of most members of their royal family, and in every case Amlaruil knows what befell her children. She would not rest until she had this knowledge, and she has the resources needed to find it. Some of the "missing" princes and princesses are dead, others quietly removed from succession because for one reason or another they are unsuited to rule, and others simply choose to live their lives away from the royal court and the public eye. The elven queen keeps her secrets, and those of her family."
Kajehase Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 13:32:21
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

Amlaruil once said in the Last Mythal novels that she was not going to Arvandor nor intend to depart for Arvandor anytime sooner. Hence, I honestly think Amlaruil is going to rule Evermeet for another ten worthy decades or so.

Make that centuries and you'd be closer to the mark methings.

quote:

Afterall, Evermeet needs strong unshakable leaders to resist and fight back the encroaching human influence on Evermeet and beyond and also against usurpers who defy divine mandate in favor of greed.

Not to seem facetious, but what human influence?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 12:22:40
Keep in mind that there are other Moonflowers out there... Even though it appears that many have been lost or scattered, Elaine has said that the elves know where some of these lost kiddies are. Any of those lost kids could be an ideal candidate.

And let's not forget Elaith and Amnestria's child...
Shadovar Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 11:09:29
Amlaruil once said in the Last Mythal novels that she was not going to Arvandor nor intend to depart for Arvandor anytime sooner. Hence, I honestly think Amlaruil is going to rule Evermeet for another ten worthy decades or so.

Among the children of Amlaruil, there are two worthy successors excluding Amlaruil's unacknowledged granddaughter. One is Prince Lamruil, but Evermeet needs a strong leader and not so easily bended by human influence. IMHO, Prince Lamruil is good and generally competent enough but he may be susceptible to charming human influence and this would in turn harm Evermeet's defenses against the human nations and might allow even more humans on Evermeet than allowed. Besides that, the way the villain Kymil gained Lamruil's trust so easily doesn't make Lamruil a good candidate anyway for he trusts too easily. Also, he had not stayed on Evermeet long enough to build up the elven people support for his ascension to the throne and neither does he know well enough who is with him and who is against him, hence because of this, I doubt he is a worthy candidate.
Afterall, Evermeet is meant for the elves by divne decree.

The next worthy candidate is Amlaruil's eldest daughter, she lived in Evermeet long enough so she should know who is with the throne and who is against the throne, she have the backing of the people (no ruler can rule without the support of the people for the people are always above the throne) and she demonstrated bravery and courage in the face of an Elder Eternal Evil, besides that she is supposed to be one of the faithful of Correllon. With divine faith & guidance, and backed by strong people support and her proven courage against an monstrous enemy indicates she might prove a better candidate for the throne of Evermeet. Afterall, Evermeet needs strong unshakable leaders to resist and fight back the encroaching human influence on Evermeet and beyond and also against usurpers who defy divine mandate in favor of greed. Hence, I am more inclined to support the eldest daughter of Amlaruil for the throne.

The last candidate would be the half-elven granddaughter of Amlaruil, Arilyn. Arilyn time and again had upheld the elven beliefs and fought for the elven cause and of the elven people regardless of sub-race with no weakening in resolve. Also, she is wise and familiar with the elven ways and does not carry the arrogance of elven nobles and most elves. But the problem is that Amlaruil would not royally recognize her nor would the people and nobles of Evermeet support an half-elf on the throne despite blood ties to the Moonflower family. Hence, Arilyn is an worthy candidate and yet highly unlikely to ascend the throne.

Even if no worthy candidate can be chosen by Amlaruil or cannot be selected in time enough in an event of emergency crisis. It is likely either the Durothils or the Veldanns would seize rulership but they will fight first before one seats the throne. But even so, the people or the military of Evermeet would not really wholeheartedly support either the Durothils or Veldanns on the throne despite the strong backing both sides have.

It is more and very likely that a temporary Council led by a High Councillor would replace the monarchy government of Evermeet in the event Amlaruil fades away and back to the old government of Evermeet as in the early days of Evermeet.
silvermage Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 10:36:54
Evermeet importance may diminish with time but Evermeet will for all eternity remain the "fallback" home of the People, for Evermeet is made from a part of Faerun and a part from Arvandor, and elves tend to think Evermeet as their final home as Evermeet is made of a part of Arvandor-the elven souls final home.

To me, lets not celebrate too early for celebration at this point is premature. The elven return to the mainland is a good thing. I think All this is an cycle, now the elves return and establish their influence but as years pass, their influence will peak and then decline again and soon, they will encounter problems that they cannot face and they will again fall back to Evermeet again. This is merely a cycle of events. Furthermore, the return of elven power to the mainland will be challenged by unyielding powerful foes that are unlikely to fade away anytime soon and no matter how strong the elven presence in Faerun will be, there is always a saying that the strongest power will wear down eventually under continued assaults.

Lastly, we must consider the threat of the rogue evil elves-the E.Veluutra(Sorry, their name is too complicated) to the return of the elves to Faerun as they can change the way others regard the People. Would the E.V use this opportunity to influence the new generation of elven leaders on the mainland to do what they want and wage war on the human nations or are they going to use this opportunity for some big plot.

Secondly, Lamruil is still seeking a new land for the People, but it is not entirely known or guranteed whether he will succeed in doing so and also, he is under siege by personal problems-his consort is not eternal and will fade soon, external pressure and problems with his own fellows-whereby those under his command may not be so truly loyal at all and already his image had diminished as he took a human consort than an elven. So, Lamruil's chances of success are very slim. If all fails, he may just and very likely had to return to Evermeet and do his duty as the next ruler of Evermeet but of course, he must do an epic battle with the throne usurpers-The Durothils and the Veldanns.

Amlaruil's lifespan is suspected by me to be a bit longer than her fellow elves for unknown reasons, it is highly unlikely for her to fade to Arvandor anytime soon. Even if she does, and if Lamruil and his party gets KIA or MIA during his mission, there are two possibilities, either she chooses an appropriate heir but not of the Moonflower line or she put back the old Council idea to power.

dannyfu Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 07:23:19
hmmmm, a classic theme, applied to a campaign setting or a FR novel, it works for methat would be interesting.

on another note consider this, with the passing of the Queen and the Retreat ending AND Severil's crusade AND Lamruil establishing a new kingdom, perhaps the power of Evermeet fades and with the claiming of the Kingsword by Lamruil in addition the possible re-established Elven court could lead to a new united kingdom on the main land truely making the elves once again a major influence and an equal force to that of humans on Faerun. or perhaps new quarreling will occur between the elven court and the new kingdom, which would make for a great story as well. whoa, lots of speculations and pipedreams theresometimes i surprise myself with the things i go on about!
Charles Phipps Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 06:01:42
It seems to demean his role as the founder of a New Kingdom for me.

For me, I hope the eldest daughter wakes up. It's a major theme in my campaign, the "Knight sallying forth to find a way to wake up Sleeping Beauty."
dannyfu Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 05:43:52
I would love to see Lamruil, the prodigal son return and wield the King Sword of his father. It would be great to read about the People of Evermeet bearing witness to the sword accepting him making him an unexpected king.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000