Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Naturalists of Myth Drannor

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Wandering_mage Posted - 08 May 2006 : 22:04:27
Hey, does anybody have more information on this organization? I ran a search and it seemed as if there is even more to this guild than Myth Drannor. I mean, did the Naturalist guild survive the fall of Myth Drannor? If so, where did it expand to? Does Halaster still have a grudge on the Naturalist guild? Are there any prominent NPC's from this guild? Where is the present day HQ? Is there any sourcebook that holds a complete history of the Guild? Please reply if you know something. This guild could be really cool to throw into the mix for my next gaming session.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wandering_mage Posted - 14 May 2006 : 19:59:21
Thank you very much for that take on the Naturalists Steven. You are quickly becoming an invaluable resource in my understanding of the Realms. Keep spreading the lore.

Now with all that being said I would take it that there is a good bit of freedom for any one to take while using the Naturalists in FR. What a fascinating little organization!!!
Steven Schend Posted - 14 May 2006 : 15:39:40
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

Sage I think you are on to something. I think it very realistic that traveling members of 'The Beast Tamers' (Myth Drannor Naturalists Guild) would go ahead and continue their work but establish guild locations all over the North/Silver Marches/Sword Coast/Moonsea areas. I mean why not? They would want to continue their work. I really think some cool lore could be written up to loosely tie the contemporary Naturalists to the Myth Drannor Naturalists. Maybe by a few families that held guild membership. Maybe some of the members from Myth Drannor removed some of the guilds treasures before the fall? They could just go to Arabel and the rest would be history. What say you all? Do you think people would be interested in knowing more about the Naturalists?

It's more than possible that the guild may've spread itself out and founded franchises and similar-thinking individuals in the sister cities of Myth Drannor. In fact, it's easily surmised that there could be a branch in Silverymoon easily.

Tis one of the reasons I added notes in the FALL OF MYTH DRANNOR about the exodus of the learned and the magical....they took their ideas and wanted to make other places as cool as MD. Biggest problem with the guild in Myth Drannor (which seemed to fit the adventure from the 1E grey box (or, if you're a dinosaur like me who remembers when it was in DRAGON magazine) was that they poached monsters from Halaster so he stole wizards and dropped them in Undermountain or left monsters in Cormanthor.

Come to think of it, you could have a really odd variant of them down in Undermountain after all these years too.....

Steven
Just tossin' out ideas....
Wandering_mage Posted - 11 May 2006 : 13:51:25
And it is done. I have posted the question. Now we wait.
The Sage Posted - 11 May 2006 : 00:55:48
quote:

Is he just in the Authors section of the forum?
Ed is (through the Lady Hooded One) usually just around in the Chamber of Sages, yes. Though the Lady Herald does like to wander the other halls from time to time to dispense the lore of Ed when required.
Kuje Posted - 10 May 2006 : 17:30:04
quote:

Thanks Kuje. It still amazes me how well you and Sage spread lore to all the eager learners of Faerun Lore. Thank you.

No problem and I try. :)
Wandering_mage Posted - 10 May 2006 : 14:48:19
Thanks Kuje. It still amazes me how well you and Sage spread lore to all the eager learners of Faerun Lore. Thank you.
Kuje Posted - 10 May 2006 : 01:36:43
quote:

Where actually do I go to ask the question? Is he just in the Authors section of the forum? Thanks for all the help too. You all have been incredibly helpful.

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=30
Wandering_mage Posted - 10 May 2006 : 01:27:40
Where actually do I go to ask the question? Is he just in the Authors section of the forum? Thanks for all the help too. You all have been incredibly helpful.
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2006 : 15:53:50
Of course you can ask Ed. And as I recall, he's already mentioned having his hand in the development of the Naturalists -- 1e FRCS.

And yes, he's still taking questions. He's just been e-silent recently because he had his family visiting him. He's back answering replies now though -- today in fact!
Wandering_mage Posted - 09 May 2006 : 15:27:07
My excited frustration leaves me pondering the possibilities. Must I ask the Grand Sage of Faerun, Ed Greenwood? Or do you think he was involved in the creation of the Myth Drannor Natrualists? Is he even taking questions anymore?
Kuje Posted - 09 May 2006 : 04:00:58
quote:

Sage I think you are on to something. I think it very realistic that traveling members of 'The Beast Tamers' (Myth Drannor Naturalists Guild) would go ahead and continue their work but establish guild locations all over the North/Silver Marches/Sword Coast/Moonsea areas. I mean why not? They would want to continue their work. I really think some cool lore could be written up to loosely tie the contemporary Naturalists to the Myth Drannor Naturalists. Maybe by a few families that held guild membership. Maybe some of the members from Myth Drannor removed some of the guilds treasures before the fall? They could just go to Arabel and the rest would be history. What say you all? Do you think people would be interested in knowing more about the Naturalists?

I've used Naturalists before in my Compendium articles but I didn't specify which Naturalist they are. :)
Wandering_mage Posted - 09 May 2006 : 03:20:06
The Sage Posted - 09 May 2006 : 01:44:54
Just a note... you're referring to the Guild in Myth Drannor and not the Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr. I don't think it has ever been exclusively stated that the Guild of Naturalists in Cormyr and the identically named guild in Myth Drannor ("the Beast Tamers") are related to each other.

Though I've theorised a "possible" connection before -- According to Fall of Myth Drannor, the Guild's last mention of activity is around 680 DR. Perhaps some of the Guild Naturalists made a place for themselves in the growing Forest Kingdom after the fall of Myth Drannor. Arabel was already a city by this time...
Swordsage Posted - 09 May 2006 : 01:06:22
Hall of the Beast Tamers adventure in the original 1st Ed. FR Campaign boxed set may have some more information.

The Swordsage
Kuje Posted - 08 May 2006 : 22:22:43
Just the info that is in Cormanthyr and the Fall of Myth Drannor box set.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000