Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Elminster and Psionics

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kuje Posted - 24 Apr 2006 : 23:21:52
I'm moving these replies from Ed's scroll since it turned into a discussion over there.

On April 24th rweston posted: Wooly,
The article in question (Elminster 1st ed stats) was in Dragon #110.
The one with the cover image lovely glade with a unicrn nibbling grass next to a long dead adventurer's skeleton.
Man I love that cover.

Anyway...
Elminster had psionic stas in that article - though I've suspected for a long time that the psionic powers Ed attibuted to Elminster in that article were of the "none of this is a lie, but not all may proove to be true" lore.
My guess is psionic stats were a "cover" for Elminsters powers as a "Chosen". Something to keep everyone in the dark until the decision to reveal chosem / silver fire / spellfire etc.
That's just a guess though.
:)
Rory"

On April 24th Kaladorm posted: "I'm pretty sure it's not a cover, Elminster does indeed have psionic powers. Can't remember what it was but somewhere I read a (canon) description which briefly explained the character of El, and as well as mentioning his skills as a rogue and his abilities to dance it mentioned his psionic powers."

On April 24th rweston posted: "The article in question (#110) was the first full on stat block of Elminster I remember seeing, and as far as I can recall it was penned by Ed (I don't have the article in front of me - but I'm 99.999% sure it was Ed).

So, as far as I know, for 1st edition, Elminster's psionic powers were what you'd call "Canon".

I am suggesting that seeing as the article came out before the whole Chosen power suite/silver fire lore was revealed, I thought it possible that Ed might have been having some fun with it.

Elminster was listed as having an "Energy Control" power (I'm not sure that was the exact name) which lets you absorb magical energy attacks, transforming the energy into harmless light.

That would look pretty similar to a spellfire wielder or a silver fire wielder absorbing an incoming spell attack, wouldn't it?

I like psionics, Elminsters is listed as having psionics at the very least in his 1st edition write up, I'm just suggesting that it may have been a bit of misdirection, or a bit of both (El has psionics, but some of his chosen powers could have been described as psionic powers early on).
Rory Weston"

Now, pray continue the debate in this scroll, not Ed's. :)
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 18:45:20
Because it's likely they've just fallen into dis-use... much like his skills picked up from the times when he was a fighter, a thief, and a priestess, before becoming a mage. Yes, he likely utilises a minor psionic ability here and there (sometimes drawing on more significant powers of the mind when the need arises), but they're largely neglected abilities now... or he's simply chosen not to develop them further.
khorne Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 18:35:23
If Elminster has psionic powers, why has he not developed his potential more? I mean, it would give him an edge, being able to use both arcane and psionic magic.
Faraer Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 17:37:46
Right. But they are something that a DM might give a PC -- and therefore not an example of the 'favoured treament for certain NPCs' that's occasionally supposed.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 17:30:48
They also mention things like this in the DMG II, traits that various NPCs might have that, while they have rules attatched to them, aren't something you can just take a feat to gain, or pick up from having a given class.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 17:26:53
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Elminster's psionics are a salutary example of the kind of minor, little-known abilities that are typical of Realms characters but not handled by overprecise 3E stat blocks.

Kinda like the innate talents mentioned on pages 82-3 of Volo's Guide to All Things Magical (formerly a suppressed work, now freely available from the Wizards downloads page)... 'Twas just nifty little magical abilities average people might or might not possess...
Faraer Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 14:02:18
Elminster's psionics are a salutary example of the kind of minor, little-known abilities that are typical of Realms characters but not handled by overprecise 3E stat blocks.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 06:54:56
Right at the beginning, as a young child. The magelord charms him and orders him to run off a cliff. he heals himself using psionics as he lies, badly wounded in a ravine.

-- George Krashos
Hoondatha Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 03:26:03
He does? Where? Sigh. It's touch being without all of my books.
George Krashos Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 02:36:13
Ed also showcases Elminster's psionic powers in the novel "Elminster: Making of a Mage".

-- George Krashos
Kuje Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 00:32:30
quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Hello Kuje,

I didn't mean to spark a debate, I just want to point to the original article for those interested & bring up my suspicions about the lore & see if Ed or THO would comment.

I was actually agreeing with Kaladorm regarding Canon, I was just pointing out that Ed's fond of misdirection & subtle hints & wondering if that was the case here.
Sorry if it came across as a debate.
Rory Weston

Aye,

I know you didn't but it was heading into a large discussion in Ed's scroll and the point of his scroll is for him to answer posts from questions people have asked. Having these debates in his scroll tends to distract from that and it makes finding his replies harder to find. :) So, I moved the replies to this scroll.
rweston Posted - 25 Apr 2006 : 00:25:11
Hello Kuje,

I didn't mean to spark a debate, I just want to point to the original article for those interested & bring up my suspicions about the lore & see if Ed or THO would comment.

I was actually agreeing with Kaladorm regarding Canon, I was just pointing out that Ed's fond of misdirection & subtle hints & wondering if that was the case here.
Sorry if it came across as a debate.
Rory Weston

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000