Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Powerful Mages of Faerun

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 14 Apr 2006 : 18:48:15
I went through the FR products I have and made a list of wizards that had spells named after them. There are 37 that I found compared to the 13 in the PHB. I wondered if there was any lore available on these wizards... just out of curiosity.

the more famous ones that i know have extensive lore written about them are:

• Laeral
  • Khelben
  • Elminster
  • Srinshee
  • Simbul

the ones i dnt really know anything about are....

• Nybor
  • Horizikaul
  • Shelgarn
  • Kaupaer
  • Igedrazzar
  • Aganazzar
  • Gedlee
  • Snilloc
  • Balagarn
  • Mestil
  • Tirumael
  • Darsson
  • Ghorus Toth
  • Grimwald
  • Lutzaen
  • Zajimarn
  • Alamanther
  • Kyristan
  • Mycontil
  • Theskyn
  • Nezram
  • Sakkratar
  • Shalantha
  • Nchaser
  • Ilykur
  • Caligarde
  • Sinsabur
  • Presper
  • Beltyn

as an aside what happened to the amazing spell Larloch's minor drain?
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steven Schend Posted - 23 Apr 2006 : 22:24:33
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Well said, George! Your words deserve to be shouted by heralds from battlements! Thank you!
I'd thank you personally and properly, but Ed tells me you're very happily married.
love,
THO
A Real-World Postscript: "Snilloc" is the creation of TSR and now WotC staffer Andy Collins (read the name backwards).

Not to disagree with THO, but Snilloc long predates Andy Collins' involvement in gaming and the Realms. I believe there was a Mr. Dave Collins who was a long-time friend of Jeff Grubb. Dave owned a house on Lake Geneva and 'twas this Collins who generated the snowball spells that shared his wizard's name of Snilloc (way back in FR Adventures might've been the first appearance).

Steven
Who feels like a dinosaur of gaming but can attest that he's met Mr. Dave Collins

Did he also come up with Snilloc's Cream Pie? 'Twas mentioned in that same spell entry, and later used by Danilo Thann ("Dessert was, of course, on them.").

Ayup.

The joke was all Elaine, though.

SES
ode904 Posted - 22 Apr 2006 : 22:14:36
First five you wrote were of course known to me, but I have heard perhaps of one third of those names in the long list...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Apr 2006 : 02:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

Well said, George! Your words deserve to be shouted by heralds from battlements! Thank you!
I'd thank you personally and properly, but Ed tells me you're very happily married.
love,
THO
A Real-World Postscript: "Snilloc" is the creation of TSR and now WotC staffer Andy Collins (read the name backwards).

Not to disagree with THO, but Snilloc long predates Andy Collins' involvement in gaming and the Realms. I believe there was a Mr. Dave Collins who was a long-time friend of Jeff Grubb. Dave owned a house on Lake Geneva and 'twas this Collins who generated the snowball spells that shared his wizard's name of Snilloc (way back in FR Adventures might've been the first appearance).

Steven
Who feels like a dinosaur of gaming but can attest that he's met Mr. Dave Collins

Did he also come up with Snilloc's Cream Pie? 'Twas mentioned in that same spell entry, and later used by Danilo Thann ("Dessert was, of course, on them.").
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 19 Apr 2006 : 02:05:25
haha interesting to both Arivia and Steven
Steven Schend Posted - 19 Apr 2006 : 01:55:36
quote:

love,
THO

Steven
Arivia Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 22:18:32
*watches Jamallo Kreen run right into and bounce off a powerful wall of NDA spell*
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 21:51:06
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Ahhh, Agannazar of the Covenant. A guy near and dear to my heart. I've posted this before, but here is an Ed and Eric-assisted history of the mage cabal which contains some info on this fellow:

(snip)

Hope this has been useful.

-- George Krashos

Useful? Blimey, George, I should say so! One of my players happened to mention Agannazar just two days ago, and here you have unfolded his c.v. for me. Bravo!

Now ... how's about further info on Presper and Grimwald, please? The impression I have received from LEoF is that the desertion of the perfiidious elves doomed Phalorm. It would be beneficial to learn more of the wizards who supported it.

Jamallo Kreen Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 21:38:39
quote:
Originally posted by The Demonbinder

Snilloc was a creation of Andy Collins (or so I have been told), and therefore one guess as to where the name came from...

Did he come from the same place as the hordes of Trebors and Nybors who infest the multiverse?
Thauramarth Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 20:34:04
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

for someone who i havent seen around really (bc youre sorta newish), thauramarth, you sure can find some useful tidbits!

Ah, always lurking below the surface in Candlekeep, but in the Realms since 1988 :-) . The good old times, the Grey Box, the thrill of reading "Spellfire" for the first time.

Damn, I'm old
The Sage Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 13:19:14
Actually, THO just said that...

quote:

The Demonbinder Posted - 18 Apr 2006 : 08:56:13
Snilloc was a creation of Andy Collins (or so I have been told), and therefore one guess as to where the name came from...
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 20:13:17
for someone who i havent seen around really (bc youre sorta newish), thauramarth, you sure can find some useful tidbits!
Thauramarth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 19:30:52
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:

Nybor: Mage of Thay obviously. No lore references to him specifically other than his spells.

There's a small article on the Wizards' Website by Sean K. Reynolds. It details a few spells by Nybor, and gives some history (including date of demise). Also, interestingly, Nybor appears to be / have been a "she" .

My mistake - I forgot to include the link : http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a . Sorry.

I forgot the link: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20041215a . Oops.
Thauramarth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 19:29:18
quote:

Nybor: Mage of Thay obviously. No lore references to him specifically other than his spells.

There's a small article on the Wizards' Website by Sean K. Reynolds. It details a few spells by Nybor, and gives some history (including date of demise). Also, interestingly, Nybor appears to be / have been a "she" .
Thauramarth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 19:24:32
If you are looking into older (2nd edition) material, Kyristan was originally featured (although only by reference) in the somewhat quirky solo-adventure HHQ2 - Wizard's Challenge (available from Paizo as a download). Darsson was created as the offspring of another of the mages featured in the module, Dar Malson. It's not Realms material, strictly speaking, but it may add some flavor.
EytanBernstein Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 06:25:20
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

This is a really fascinating topic. If ever given the opportunity (and for an appropriate subject), I'd want to explore this further.

As a designer of FR products, you are fortunate to be in the unique position that you can take these one-off references and do more with them, adding meat to the bones as it were. Next FR project you get, you may consider delving into these barebones references that are scattered throughout a hundred products (if you need a few, feel free to drop me a line) and having some fun with them. Of course, IMHO, the very best FR writers also add some more of these 'throwaway' liitle bits of realmslore in their writings also. It's like tending a forest. For every tree you cut down, three should be planted.

-- George Krashos

Well, nothing is in the works at the moment that would allow me to make use of that, but if anything down the line should arise, I'll definitely think about it.

I always try to find small throwaway lines, especially ones with interesting potential, and expand on them. To me, it's much easier to explore something with little detail than to try and expand on the superb jobs done by others (though of course, I have to do both).
The Sage Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 02:39:51
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

oh hmm i didnt even know about that accesory... shalantha isnt one of the seven sisters is she? im so bad on lore about the chosen etc.

Nope. The Seven Sisters are Laeral, Alustriel, Dove Falconhand, Storm Silverhand, the Simbul, Syluné, and Qilué Veladorn.

And you can find a PDF version of the sourcebook at paizo.com for just $4 US. I recall nobleknight.com offering a printed version as well, though I can't remember the asking price...
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 02:33:58
quote:

oh hmm i didnt even know about that accesory... shalantha isnt one of the seven sisters is she? im so bad on lore about the chosen etc.

Nope. The Seven Sisters are Laeral, Alustriel, Dove Falconhand, Storm Silverhand, the Simbul, Syluné, and Qilué Veladorn.
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:56:47
omg!!!! no way! hahahaha i had figured out by myself last year that drawmij's instant summons was jim ward backwrads... with a name like snillo we really shoudl have known haha
<3 THO
The Hooded One Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:46:05
love,
THO
George Krashos Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:31:34
quote:
Originally posted by EytanBernstein

This is a really fascinating topic. If ever given the opportunity (and for an appropriate subject), I'd want to explore this further.

As a designer of FR products, you are fortunate to be in the unique position that you can take these one-off references and do more with them, adding meat to the bones as it were. Next FR project you get, you may consider delving into these barebones references that are scattered throughout a hundred products (if you need a few, feel free to drop me a line) and having some fun with them. Of course, IMHO, the very best FR writers also add some more of these 'throwaway' liitle bits of realmslore in their writings also. It's like tending a forest. For every tree you cut down, three should be planted.

-- George Krashos
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:29:59
George Krashos Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:27:46
Oh, and for another tidbit on Shalantha, see her spell "Shalantha's Kiss" in the 'Seven Sisters' accessory.

-- George Krashos
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 00:16:38
i think it woudl be fun to make histories for some of them, at least igedrazzar and Zajimarn... maybe horizikaul and tirumael as well
EytanBernstein Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 22:28:10
Erutan Posted - 15 Apr 2006 : 17:00:33
Ops... Sorry...
Arivia Posted - 15 Apr 2006 : 16:53:11
quote:
Originally posted by Erutan

When and how Aganazzar died?
Tkz

From George's notes above:
quote:
Posted by George Krashos
In the Year of the Disastrous Bauble (1081DR) Agannazar is believed to have gone down fighting in the explosive destruction of the School of Wizadry in Neverwinter.

Erutan Posted - 15 Apr 2006 : 16:49:13
When and how Aganazzar died?
Tkz
George Krashos Posted - 15 Apr 2006 : 09:47:35
quote:

I went through the FR products I have and made a list of wizards that had spells named after them. There are 37 that I found compared to the 13 in the PHB. I wondered if there was any lore available on these wizards... just out of curiosity.

the ones i dnt really know anything about are....

Hmm, scanning your list, I can tell you that lore on the majority of the rest of the wizards there is patchy at best. I'll point you to the sources:

Horizikaul: Nothing other than spell name.

Shelgarn: Nothing other than spell name.

Igedrazzar: Nothing other than spell name.

Gedlee: Nothing other than spell name.

Snilloc: Pages From the Mages and the Forgotten Realms Adventures hardcover. Information is scant.

Balagarn: Nothing other than spell name.

Mestil: Nothing other than spell name.

Tirumael: Nothing other than spell name.

Darsson: Mage of Halruaa. Pages From the Mages and FR16 Shining South.

Ghorus Toth: Nothing other than spell name.

Lutzaen: Nothing other than spell name.

Zajimarn: Nothing other than spell name.

Alamanther: Mage of Aglarond. Former lover of the Simbul. Slain by the Red Wizards of Thay. Players Guide to Faerūn. Original reference is one of Ed's "Wizards Three" articles in Dragon magazine.

Kyristan: Pages From the Mages.

Mycontil: Former ruler of Halruaa. FR16 Shining South.

Theskyn: Nothing other than spell name.

Nezram: As others have noted: Lost Empires of Faerūn. Original reference is from Pages From the Mages.

Sakkratar: Former Coronal of Cormanthyr. See the Cormanthyr accessory and Fall of Myth Drannor.

Shalantha: Fall of Myth Drannor.

Nchaser: Pages From the Mages, Lost Empires of Faerūn and the sidebar in Magic of Faerūn.

Caligarde: Pages From the Mages and sidebar in Magic of Faerūn.

Sinsabur: Nothing other than spell name.

Beltyn: Pages From the Mages.

-- George Krashos
George Krashos Posted - 15 Apr 2006 : 09:34:33
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Im suprised the Covenant didnt have a hand in the founding of the Silver Marches

Well, I don't think they did - Ilykkur and Agannazar are dead, while Presper and Grimwald have been touring the planes and other worlds, trying to shake the posse of Red Wizards, independent of the Zulkirs, that has dedicated itself to slaying them to avenge ancestors and masters that the Covenant did in years ago. It's only very recently (as noted in "City of Splendors: Waterdeep") that they've looked at perhaps reforming the Covenant. If they were to do so, it's undoubted that they would assist the Silver Marches and would no doubt be a very shadowy but effective foe of Obould's new kingdom.

It is likely however that they have in the past supported (openly and secretly) such individuals as Ahghairon, the High Mages of Silverymoon and wizards of Ascalhorn in their fight against the orcs.

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000