Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Disappearance of Lolth

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
davimelazo Posted - 26 Mar 2006 : 18:22:23
About the desappearance of Lolth I have imagin some questions about the reactions of it in the drow society and I like to listen/read some opinions of others GMs.

The drow cities for example, stay more reserved than the common. The drows take more care because some powerful for the queen has disappear for a moment. The drow power don't resume it self only in power of they priestsess, but in the army too.

Summarizing ... what kind of scenario was waited for a flock of adventures who wants to go in the Underdark (to drow cities been more specifically) since some priests of Lolth lose the power. A city more inmate? How?

Forgive my bad english and thanks
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zireael Posted - 19 Sep 2010 : 18:36:19
quote:
Originally posted by TobyKikami

quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

I had read from somewhere that Selvetarm was originally a Chaotic Neutral drow that was tricked by Lolth into killing some giant spider or something that would grant him immortality. It was rigged and this made Selvetarm Lolth's eternal servant. He is Lolth's slave and even if he did have ambition he coudn't use it.

Something like that, yes - only they were a bit more than just a drow and a giant spider. Selvetarm was Vhaeraun's son (and so already immortal), and he killed the Abyssal Lord Zanassu, who Lolth resented due to the fact he was also associated with spiders. Apparently Selvetarm meant to gain further power... to impress Eilistraee, of all things.

It's a messed-up enough story even without considering the possibility of incestuous hijinks mentioned by other posters.

Even if Selvetarm wasn't standing in for Lolth, though, he still has his own - albeit generally ignored - clergy in Eryndlyn and such, and I don't see why they'd stop getting spells. That would probably do some interesting things to the power dynamic.

Yeah, and Selvetarm might make a nice patron for those driders who don't venerate Lloth.
TobyKikami Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 19:18:30
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

I had read from somewhere that Selvetarm was originally a Chaotic Neutral drow that was tricked by Lolth into killing some giant spider or something that would grant him immortality. It was rigged and this made Selvetarm Lolth's eternal servant. He is Lolth's slave and even if he did have ambition he coudn't use it.

Something like that, yes - only they were a bit more than just a drow and a giant spider. Selvetarm was Vhaeraun's son (and so already immortal), and he killed the Abyssal Lord Zanassu, who Lolth resented due to the fact he was also associated with spiders. Apparently Selvetarm meant to gain further power... to impress Eilistraee, of all things.

It's a messed-up enough story even without considering the possibility of incestuous hijinks mentioned by other posters.

Even if Selvetarm wasn't standing in for Lolth, though, he still has his own - albeit generally ignored - clergy in Eryndlyn and such, and I don't see why they'd stop getting spells. That would probably do some interesting things to the power dynamic.
FridayThe13th Posted - 17 Jul 2006 : 00:28:15
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Selvetarm isn't really portrayed as an ambitious sort. And we are talking about Lolth. Selvetarm grants power to Lolth's followers . . . Lolth comes back and finds out . . . not good for Selvetarm. Its pretty obvious that she doesn't WANT her followers to have their powers while she is gone, or else it shows they are too weak to survive.

I am very suprised that Shar didn't make her move during Lolth's silence. The Lady of Loss has always wanted the Underdark as her own.

Oh, and when Lolth returned I think she became a greater deity.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 19:50:11
quote:
Originally posted by Lawk Xetter

Who said the Priestess' need to be told? If they are still granted spells for their lip service and sacrifices, then who are they to question it? For them, Lolth is alive and well, watching over them all, ready to devour their souls and what-not if they do bad. If Selvetarm or another evil Deity treads carefully, they can gain all the worship, simply by masquerading as Lolth.
There are precedents.
Granted, only Selvetarm could possibly escape punishment when Lolth returns, thus he's the most obvious choice to do all this, even if someone more clever gives him the idea.

This idea might work, except for one area, the Domain spell slots in 3.X could be a little off, but not by much.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 18:52:56
Selvetarm isn't really portrayed as an ambitious sort. And we are talking about Lolth. Selvetarm grants power to Lolth's followers . . . Lolth comes back and finds out . . . not good for Selvetarm. Its pretty obvious that she doesn't WANT her followers to have their powers while she is gone, or else it shows they are too weak to survive.

Lawk Xetter Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 18:32:17
Who said the Priestess' need to be told? If they are still granted spells for their lip service and sacrifices, then who are they to question it? For them, Lolth is alive and well, watching over them all, ready to devour their souls and what-not if they do bad. If Selvetarm or another evil Deity treads carefully, they can gain all the worship, simply by masquerading as Lolth.
There are precedents.
Granted, only Selvetarm could possibly escape punishment when Lolth returns, thus he's the most obvious choice to do all this, even if someone more clever gives him the idea.
Kentinal Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 18:10:20
Lolth did not fall, she disappeared (went on vacation) and also evil deities would not tend to grant spells to those that did not worship them. Priestesses would have to convert to another religion, with another dogma in order to be granted spells. Something rather dangerious to do should Lolth return from vacation (or was just testing them).

Oh yes there could be conversion efforts, however Lolth still the most feared and having the greatest number of followers would always pose a danger to followers of any other deity, even the ones Lolth tolerated.

If the Clerics in the cities openly converted to another deity, the social order would fall apart or tend to. What keeps such cities intact is fear of Lolth and her Clerics. Converting in seceret clearly holds its own risk. The other deities could best serve their deitis by collecting lay followers I would think.

The false Priestesses (those claiming to serve Lolth, but actually serving Vhaeraun) would be in the strongest position (they will still have spells) to consolidate power in what Houses thy are in, pehaps moving up to Matron, but even they would not publicly expose themselves unless they gained control over half of the cities power groups.
Lawk Xetter Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 17:46:01
Why should they lose any clerical spell casting ability? It wouldn't be the first time Gods of Toril started granted spells to priests of fallen Deities.
Look at how long it took worshippers of Sharess to realize their Goddess was being held hostage, and their spells came from Shar.

Selvetarm still exists, correct? He may hate his lover, but he's loyal. If Vhaeraun doesnt try to wrest control, or EilistraeeDoesn't send in a contingent of sword dancing, nekkid, ebon skinned immortals to wipe evil from the under-dark, then likely nothing will change on the surface. Selvetarm, and maybe whats-her-name, that crazy drow goddess of the dead, will team up to keep things stable for the Drow.

Oh, also, if Selvetarm does do his duty as Paramour, and "keeps Lolth's throne warm for her", then he will gain enough power to defeat any Godly intentions to wreak havoc, by simple proxy.

Worship equels power. More worship, more power. Borrow Lolth's worship while she ain't using it, I get all her power atop My own. Yay! And I'm the only one who has the right to it, being Lolth's Champion. Now, I'll go kill things.
Vainelus Posted - 13 Apr 2006 : 20:19:38
I think that the cities would be less tolerant of any adventurers that decided to challenge the authority of the Priestesses of Lolth. Since the clergy do not want outsiders to know that they have lost their power, they will probably grasp the reigns of power even tighter to compensate.

However, it should also be a time of opportunity for adventuring bands, a lot of drow and other groups in the Underdark dislike the clergy of Lolth and what better time to strike out at them than when they are powerless. Adventurers could be used as agents of various drow houses, the drow do not have to explain to the adventurers the full situation, all the adventures need to know is their pay and mission.

Also non-drow power groups would slowly become suspicious and eventually figure out that the priestesses are powerless. Adventurers could be employed as investigators for various groups during the information gathering phase and muscle once the situation comes to light.

Also during the sieges of various drow cities the adventurers are likely to be the first along with slaves sent to the front lines to protect the drow.

Also the Deities take this opportunity to try to make new converts, or simple eliminate power priestess of Lolth via their mortal followers. It would be a great time to have Vhaeraun, Kiaransalee, and Eilistraee cells surface and try to take advantage of the situation. Not to mention some surface deities might want to attempt to recruit some vulnerable drow, like Shar.
Kentinal Posted - 26 Mar 2006 : 19:17:21
This is a judgement call.

There are factors to be considered.

Drow culture for thousands of years been ruled by females, Presteses just out ranking the other females.
The Priestesses have stored magic plus magical items (like their whip). They should still be able to use spell scrolls and potions as well.

The loss of ability to be granted spells clearly would cause alarm amoung the Clerics individually at first because of belief that Lolth's favor was withdrawn. This might result in extra sacifices as a first step. It might be a week or more before the Clerics would even share the knowledge with another House, because they would not want to admit a weakness in their own House.

The Drow cities might not have House wars, however I would suspect the Houses with many Arcane casters might attack Houses will fewer of these casters. It might be another way to try to gain Lolth's favor again.

The Drow will not lose all magic, Drow blood confers certain abilities that is not dependent on Lolth.

As for as how adventurers would be recieved, the cities wuld tend to appear much of same when dealing with outsiders. Though there might be a greater risk of being sacarificed. The general public likely would not know the Clerics can not memorise spells for perhaps months, if ever, it is not for them to explain why they are casting fewer spells these days.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000