Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Recipes of the Realms (revised)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 03:46:25
The following was brought to my attention by an acolyte, who found a bundle of scrolls and scraps of paper hidden in amongst the books in the main reading room. After perusing said scrolls, I have pieced together the history of them, and compiled them in what seems to be the correct order. I now present to my fellow scribes Recipes of the Realms, a look at the fare available in some of the finest (and not so fine) establishments of the Realms beginning with the North, and an introduction by the original author herself, Tahla Orlindar. At this time, the whereabouts of Tahla are unknown, as is her past. For all we know, the new scullery maid in the kitchens here at Candlekeep, may be her.

~Kes

Welcome to the Recipes of the Realms. I, Tahla Orlindar, have gathered these from the various establishments across the Realms. After reading the works of Volo about these establishments, I decided that I should gather the recipes, and distribute them for others, who may not be able to frequent these Inns and Taverns, to enjoy in their own homes. Some were freely given to me by the cooks, others are my own renditions culled from tasting said fare and, after many trials, duplicating them myself. Still others, after many failed attempts of my own, were gathered by hiring myself to the establishments in various guises. The recipes are arranged by city, then by name of the establishment. I hope that you will enjoy these recipes, as much as I enjoyed gathering them.

~Tahla

Silverymoon

The Inn of the Wayward Sages

Tahla’s Notes: I acquired this recipe shortly before the fire that destroyed the Inn. I have yet to sample the fare at Wayward House, which now occupies the site.

Roast Pheasant in Cream Sauce

One pheasant, plucked and cleaned(3-4 pound chicken)
One fist softened butter
A pinch of Salt
Two pinches Pepper
Two pinches Rubbed Sage

Pluck pheasant, making sure that all feathers and down are removed, and then remove all innards, feet and head. Wash the bird in cold water, taking care that it is completely cleaned of anything unsavory, dry the skin and place it in a pot. Rub the softened butter over the skin and sprinkle with seasonings. Bake in a fairly hot oven until the juices run clear, and the skin is browned (375 degrees for about 2-2 & 1/2 hours).

Cream Sauce
2 spoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
One handful flour (all purpose)
3 cups cream (half and half)
Salt and pepper to taste
3 pinches dried tarragon

In a small pot over a medium fire melt butter, add minced garlic and sauté for a minute or two. Sprinkle flour into pot, and stir until a paste (roux) forms, cook for a minute. Carefully add cream, one cup at a time, stirring until smooth after each addition. Add tarragon, salt and pepper. Stir constantly over medium fire until thickened, taking care to not let the sauce scorch nor boil.

Serve pieces of the roast pheasant covered with cream sauce.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Munster Posted - 02 Apr 2006 : 07:34:40
Looks pretttttty tastey Mum. MMMMMMMM.... Fooooodddd.....
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 02 Apr 2006 : 03:16:26
Thank you both. When ever you get to it Sage, it will be apprieciated. I am going through Silver Marches at the moment, to find information there.

BTW Sage, I'm not quite sure that the proportions of the butter/flour in the sauce is quite correct, it may end up a bit thick . It may be a little bland as well, but lemon pepper and/or lemon juice will pick it up alot (wasn't sure of the availability of lemons in the North, so I didn't add it to the recipe).
~Kes
The Sage Posted - 02 Apr 2006 : 01:56:08
You know, I'm actually going to try this recipe... It sounds rather delicious.

And Kes... I've got a little Realms flavor for it like we spoke about in PMs... but I'm checking references at the moment, so it'll have to wait until later today.
Alaundo Posted - 01 Apr 2006 : 18:30:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Just to let everyone know, I just edited and changed the recipe a bit. I tried to put more 'Realms-flavor' to it, but not sure how well I succeeded.
~Kes

Well met

::slap, slurp:: Tastes just great Keep 'em coming.

I'd be interested to hear of anyone herein who actually puts these recipies to practice.
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 01 Apr 2006 : 18:00:56
Just to let everyone know, I just edited and changed the recipe a bit. I tried to put more 'Realms-flavor' to it, but not sure how well I succeeded.
~Kes
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 16:40:45
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Hmmmm, is that my stomach rumbling? What time shall I come round?

Hmm...'bout dusk?

Thank you Alaundo, if you wish, I have no problem with you posting them.

I'm not sure when I will have another done, but I will work on it!
~Kes
Alaundo Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 09:47:58
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Rubbed Sage
Well now... I'm not quite sure what to say here... .

Well met

This is great, Kes_Alanadel I can't see any problems with copyright issues on this at all.

I'd certainly be happy to create a page for thy recipies here at Candlekeep if ye wish to continue to experiment and produce further goodies? I always liked the recipies section within the Leaves of the Inn of the Last Home tomes from the Dragonlan.... ahem, no matter.

Hmmmm, is that my stomach rumbling? What time shall I come round?
The Sage Posted - 31 Mar 2006 : 01:52:15
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

[Well, I'm not planning on posting anything that has already been printed. All the recipes I would put in here would be of my own creation, ones that I already use either at home or work (sized down alot! ). The first one I put up, is based on the description of a meal that appears in Volo's Guide to the North, would that be considered infringment?

EDIT: Along those same lines, would using the measurements in the recipes that are already printed in the Guides, be considered infringement as well? Don't want to get into any trouble, for just playing around!

If it's based on, I doubt it.

As for the measurements, I don't think it would be infringement.... A lot of us reference canon lore all the time, especially for the Compendium. We also write short stories, etc. WOTC knows it's fan work and we aren't making money on it.

However, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be 100% wrong. :)

As it is... I'd probably ask Alaundo, just to be sure Kes.
Melfius Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 22:25:40
I am not saying that using them would be infringement. I'm just paranoid!

Honestly, so long as you are not a)claiming them as your own or b)profiting from the use of them, then you are fine.
Kuje Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 17:46:24
quote:

[Well, I'm not planning on posting anything that has already been printed. All the recipes I would put in here would be of my own creation, ones that I already use either at home or work (sized down alot! ). The first one I put up, is based on the description of a meal that appears in Volo's Guide to the North, would that be considered infringment?

EDIT: Along those same lines, would using the measurements in the recipes that are already printed in the Guides, be considered infringement as well? Don't want to get into any trouble, for just playing around!

If it's based on, I doubt it.

As for the measurements, I don't think it would be infringement.... A lot of us reference canon lore all the time, especially for the Compendium. We also write short stories, etc. WOTC knows it's fan work and we aren't making money on it.

However, I'm not a lawyer, so I could be 100% wrong. :)
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 16:59:22
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pages 150 and 151 of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep feature recipes of the Realms. I'd look at those for the Realms-flavor of your own recipes.

She knows. :) I sent her a whole list from all the Volo's that have some. :)

And I printed off a couple of those to look at last night, so I will be changing the original recipe I posted at some point.
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 16:45:25
quote:
Originally posted by Melfius

While I was crafting the menu I use for the Faerie Kitchen in the Candlekeep Inn I was tempted to use some of the recipes found in such books as the Volo's guides and such. However, my near-paranoid fear of copyright infringement held me back.

Well, I'm not planning on posting anything that has already been printed. All the recipes I would put in here would be of my own creation, ones that I already use either at home or work (sized down alot! ). The first one I put up, is based on the description of a meal that appears in Volo's Guide to the North, would that be considered infringment?

Melfius Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 15:46:12
While I was crafting the menu I use for the Faerie Kitchen in the Candlekeep Inn I was tempted to use some of the recipes found in such books as the Volo's guides and such. However, my near-paranoid fear of copyright infringement held me back.
Kuje Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 06:21:06
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Pages 150 and 151 of Volo's Guide to Waterdeep feature recipes of the Realms. I'd look at those for the Realms-flavor of your own recipes.

She knows. :) I sent her a whole list from all the Volo's that have some. :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 06:19:42
The Sage Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 05:50:42
quote:

quote:

It looks good and I like it. :) But, yeah, I agree with Sage... maybe add a little realmslore to it. :)

Okay, I'll work on that :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Well, I'd be more than willing to help you on that. But I've also sent you a PM with another idea too. Let me know what you think?
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 04:14:12
quote:

It looks good and I like it. :) But, yeah, I agree with Sage... maybe add a little realmslore to it. :)

Okay, I'll work on that :)

Thanks for the feedback!
Kuje Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 04:12:01
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 04:04:06
quote:

quote:

Rubbed Sage

Smart Aleck(And I was actually expecting something like that anyway)

quote:

As it is though... I like this idea you've got here Kes. Though perhaps you could add a little Realms-flavor to the recipes (pun intended) by means of a few words about where you think such foods might be served in the Realms. That way... you've got some intriguing Realmslore references along with these real-world recipes.

Thanks Sage. This was an idea that Kuje and I talked about a while ago (hence my asking for George's food list ). The recipe I came up with myself-and yes, it should be actually useable- and the idea of the recipe came from Volo's Guide to the North, in which he mentions fare served at various places. I am in the proccess of making some more recipes for some of the Inns mentioned in the Volo's guides. I just put this one up, to see if there would be any interest in them, before I did anymore.
~Kes
The Sage Posted - 30 Mar 2006 : 03:54:34
quote:

Rubbed Sage

As it is though... I like this idea you've got here Kes. Though perhaps you could add a little Realms-flavor to the recipes (pun intended) by means of a few words about where you think such foods might be served in the Realms. That way... you've got some intriguing Realmslore references along with these real-world recipes.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000