Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone's Favorite Evil Organization

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Xysma Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 15:54:39
We all know there are evil organizations across Faerun, which begs the question, "Who do we love to hate the most?" I've listed the major players in the war on goodness, but there are certainly more than twelve, so someone's favorite may have been left out. For that I am truly sorry, but pick your second favorite . I've intentionally left out "Church of (enter evil god here)" since that would likely degenerate into an argument over whose favorite god is more powerful.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
RandoTheCat Posted - 30 Oct 2022 : 15:14:06
I really like the Kraken Society! The islands north of the Moonshaes have very little written about them. As well as in the Purple Rocks practically half the citizens are cultists!
Misereor Posted - 11 Aug 2016 : 06:58:38
The Zhents. Not the Zhentarim, but Zhentil Keep itself, along with it's associated subfactions and all the infighting they bring with them.
(In my realms the ToT and all the resulting sillyness never happened. Same goes for Shade and the boring ubervillain version of Shar.)
Madpig Posted - 10 Aug 2016 : 13:59:50
As i just finished Crown of Fire and trilogy about knights of mythdrannor, im really partial on Z-men (and few women) :)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Aug 2016 : 18:05:56
Wow, this is an older thread... My answer remains the same, 11 years later: I still think that evil xenophobic elves are the most fun.
Artemas Entreri Posted - 09 Aug 2016 : 13:58:36
I'm partial to the Brotherhood of the True Flame down in Zakhara.
Alruane Posted - 17 Nov 2013 : 10:25:27
I enjoyed the Shadow Thieves, particularly Renal Bloodscalps leadership during Baldur's Gate: Shadows Of Amn setting.
jazirian reborn Posted - 30 Jul 2012 : 12:24:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Nah, the Twisted Rune for me, nothing like a bunch of master-minding undead evil mages trying to run a whole region from behind the scenes.

Yeah , finding a Zhent or a Red Wizard to bash isnt all that hard. Just finding anyone who has heard of the Rune , may be years of gametime.
Unveiling the enemy is half the battle.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 13 Jul 2012 : 09:49:33
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

<snip>So, go Zhents.

Sounds like a cheer. Or a really lame commercial.
Tarlyn Posted - 06 Jul 2012 : 11:42:38
Plenty of good choices. I almost went Twisted Rune, but I have never managed to incorporate them into a game. So, go Zhents.
Doge Posted - 06 Jul 2012 : 10:07:44
Zhents! I just love them.
Xnella Moonblade-Thann Posted - 06 Jul 2012 : 09:09:36
For me, it's the Zhentarim, followed by the Knights of the Shield. Just imagine if they ran into each other in Amn or Tethyr, what trouble they could cause just trying to figure out if they can trust the other group! Thoughts like that get my head spinning and the gears inside working harder than normal.
Quale Posted - 18 Jun 2012 : 12:43:27
Cult of the Dragon, cause they are based on the most ingenious idea
Dennis Posted - 18 Jun 2012 : 04:23:08
quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

So I'm not spoiling things, I'd recommend you read "The Haunted Lands" trilogy by Richard Lee Byers.

You are scaring me here, but than again no one can defeat Szazz Tam. He made a couple of mistakes in the past, but I don't see him repeating them again. I'll have to investigate this more though.

He actually repeated some of his mistakes.
Dennis Posted - 18 Jun 2012 : 04:13:58

They're supposed to act as rulers and yes, spies. They dictate merchants (who could be affluent Thayans; fledgling wizards; or mere slaves) what and how to sell; not them doing the selling. I'm glad I didn't see many of these merchant Red Wizards in the Thay-centric novels I read.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 06:38:37
It only stands to reason that Red Wizards will be merchants...they control the trade in Thay completely. The Tharchions (sp?) may rule at the discretion of the Red Wizards; but all true political power lays within the hands of the Red Wizards.

As they control the nation, it would stand to logic that many of them would enter into trade. Now, having said that, I've never been a fan of the Thayan Enclave...I feel it was an extension of the easy availability of magical items in 3.x D&D for the Forgotten Realms. No, I prefer to have the Red Wizards as spies AND merchants.

I don't like Magic Markets at all...no sir...not in MY realms.
Dennis Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 06:03:05

Oops, sorry, my mistake. I meant MERCHANT.

I don't like it that some of them choose to stay in enclaves and sell their 'wares.' I'd prefer them to have their slaves or non-Red Wizard magic-users do it for them.
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 05:48:54
What mercenary Red Wizards are we talking about?
Dennis Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 04:48:46
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Canon aside, I personally don't count merchant Red Wizards. Mercenary is a slap to a class that's supposed to be elitist and powerful.

A non-Thayan would most likely avoid sealing an alliance with a Red Wizard if he knows that someone is indeed a Red Wizard. Alliance with them usually happens under the cloak of deception.

So you've decided the published information about the Red Wizards is wrong?

Not wrong. I just don't like the merchant part; the rest, I do, specially how they've been represented in novels, most notably by Richard.

quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

Canon aside, I personally don't count mercenary Red Wizards. Mercenary is a slap to a class that's supposed to be elitist and powerful.

A non-Thayan would most likely avoid sealing an alliance with a Red Wizard if he knows that someone is indeed a Red Wizard. Alliance with them usually happens under the cloak of deception.

Not one of he three Red Wizards I quoted are mercenary. They are all agents sent by Thay to their areas.

I don't think anyone would avoid an alliance with a Red Wizard simply because they were a Red Wizard...though it could give them pause. If that were the case, there would not have sprung up so many Thayan Enclaves in the cities of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

No, I think Red Wizards are just as viable as an ally as any other sort...just depends on the individual needs of the those becoming allies.

You misunderstand. It's unlikely for one to ally with a Red Wizard not because he and his order are scums. It's because Red Wizards are generally thought to be evil and self-serving and always ready to back-stab and betray anyone just to see to their whims. And such notion is not without basis.

Even non-Red Wizard spellcasters in Thay are approached with extreme caution. Aoth Fezim, a Thayan battle mage and leader of the Brotherhood of the Griffon, would have found it difficult to attract clients because of his ancestry if people didn't know what he and his comrades did during Szass Tam's rise to power...

And let's not forget that by their very nature, Red Wizards tend to use non-Thayans as pawns than ally with them.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 04:37:58
quote:

Canon aside, I personally don't count mercenary Red Wizards. Mercenary is a slap to a class that's supposed to be elitist and powerful.

So you've decided the published information about the Red Wizards is wrong?
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 02:18:12
quote:

Not one of he three Red Wizards I quoted are mercenary. They are all agents sent by Thay to their areas.

I don't think anyone would avoid an alliance with a Red Wizard simply because they were a Red Wizard...though it could give them pause. If that were the case, there would not have sprung up so many Thayan Enclaves in the cities of the Sea of Fallen Stars.

No, I think Red Wizards are just as viable as an ally as any other sort...just depends on the individual needs of the those becoming allies.

Even the High Blade of Mulmaster was married to the First Princess...who is a Red Wizard. They are not scum of the earth after all...they are one of the most powerful orders in the world.
Dennis Posted - 16 Jun 2012 : 01:37:34

Canon aside, I personally don't count merchant Red Wizards. Mercenary is a slap to a class that's supposed to be elitist and powerful.

Dalor Darden Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 12:20:05
quote:

Red Wizards as allies? Ha! Where do you find such type?

Sometimes I get the distinct feeling Dennis, that you argue for arguments sake.

Where do I find such you ask?

Ailoth the Red Wizard...buyer of "distress goods" which I use as a fence for players of magical items in Hillsfar...items taken from dead Zhentarim.

Alzegund "the trader" who is found in many lands, but spies on the military of Cormyr and Zhentil Keep. As a merchant, he can easily come into contact with players who might have some information to sell him...or buy from him (especially concerning the Zhentarim and Zhentilar).

Naglatha of Selgaunt who is an unknown Red Wizard who deals in curios from the South; but also hires freeswords for various jobs.

That's just three in print...not to mention any I create myself.

Yup...that is where I find them.
Dennis Posted - 15 Jun 2012 : 07:34:18

Red Wizards as allies? Ha! Where do you find such type?
Dalor Darden Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 20:04:42
I usually have a favorite based on where I'm going to be running my game...but I've even used the Emerald Enclave as an "evil" organization before.

Over all, the one I've used most however is the Zhentarim.

The Iron Throne would be a close second for me.

I prefer to use Red Wizards in my game as "wild cards" that can sometimes be relied on as a temporary ally...and other times a fierce enemy.
Eilserus Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 16:50:00
The old Zhentarim or Red Wizards were always my favorites. Personally, I think the Realms needs more evil organizations, but not necessarily world spanning or dominated by 20th + casters. I'd like to see some regional ones, such as those who work in the Moonsea, Vast, or Sembia etc. Fighting the classic Realms villains is fun, but fighting against a smaller org that a party could possibly destroy or completely ruin over part of a campaign...much more gratifying.
Xar Zarath Posted - 13 Jun 2012 : 13:59:35
Twisted Rune! Followed closely by arcane-magic heavy organizations...
Dennis Posted - 15 May 2012 : 04:43:18

Shade, of course. But since it's not on the list, my second favorite will do: Red Wizards.
Thauranil Posted - 11 May 2012 : 15:56:25
Hard to believe that House Dlardrageth got so few votes, i mean they are the most deliciously evil.
Eye of Horus-Re Posted - 01 May 2009 : 21:09:02
Zhents for me! Zhentarim Bainite Clerics kick butt!
Moonlight Posted - 01 May 2009 : 04:19:08
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Moonlight

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

So I'm not spoiling things, I'd recommend you read "The Haunted Lands" trilogy by Richard Lee Byers.

You are scaring me here, but than again no one can defeat Szazz Tam. He made a couple of mistakes in the past, but I don't see him repeating them again. I'll have to investigate this more though.

Considering that Szass is afraid of Larloch, I'm thinking that Szass doesn't think that no one can defeat him.

Larloch doesn't count, he is in an entirely different level that Szass Tam. I doubt that anyone in the Realms would be able to defeat him, especially if Larloch got it in a personal level. Well, maybe Simbul would be entertained from it, but that's all.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000