Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Paladins in Forgotten Realms books

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Oakenstaff Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 23:49:04
Hello to all.
I've read a number of Forgotten Realms novels and enjoyed them. But I have a question. Do any FR novels feature as the lead character a traditional Paladin as the hero?
It just seems like whenever a Paladin is used in a fantasy book, they are always presented as being unpopular pompous know-it-alls. But do any FR novels featuring a Paladin as the main character treat him or her with respect and as a true hero?
For me, at least, it would be a refreshing change to read a story like that.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ergdusch Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 10:19:55
As this thread has been revived today, I will through in my tidbits as well:

The Twilight War trilogy of Paul S. Kemp features a Paladin of Lathander, Abelar Corrinthal from Saerb/Sembia.

Book II & III of the Sellsword Trilogy by Bob Salvatore features the great paladin champion Gareth Dragonsbane also known from the great 'Bloodstone War' Adventure trilogy.

And while I am at it: for further discussion see also this thread here at Candlekeep.
chance87 Posted - 28 Jan 2008 : 03:04:05
I'm pretty sure that the character Jherek(sp?) from the Threat from the Sea series wound up being a paladin by the end of the set. Seems like he was statted as a paladin in a Dragon about that time. Although I guess being a sailor, he's probably not a "traditional" paladin.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 03:46:07
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Kyriani is his half sister.

Yup. They share the same father -- the late Ostus Agrivar. He was, as I recall, a wizard.
Kuje Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:34:25
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Pools of Darkness and Pool of Twilight.

See also, Tarl Desanea's entry in 2e's Heroes' Lorebook for more on Miltiades.

And the Double Diamond novelettes. :)
The Sage Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:33:04
Pools of Darkness and Pool of Twilight.

See also, Tarl Desanea's entry in 2e's Heroes' Lorebook for more on Miltiades.
nbnmare Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:24:30
Apparently there was an undead paladin of Tyr named Miltiades in the Pools trilogy. I've never read them though, so I couldn't tell you which specific one(s) he appeared in.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:24:10
Kyriani is his half sister.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:14:14
quote:
Originally posted by initiate

This is slightly off topic, but I am curious as to whether the Priam Agrivar mentioned several times in this thread has any blood relation to another character of that surname . . . possibly one Kyriani Agrivar?

Yes, although I don't recall if they are cousins or whatnot.
initiate Posted - 12 Mar 2007 : 01:12:34

This is slightly off topic, but I am curious as to whether the Priam Agrivar mentioned several times in this thread has any blood relation to another character of that surname . . . possibly one Kyriani Agrivar?

The Sage Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 23:44:15
No specific novels as such.

And it is a Tyrran Paladin order. You may want to look through the "Tyr" entry of Faiths & Avatars for lore about the Hammers of Grimjaws.
Hurusan Posted - 11 Mar 2007 : 21:24:34
does anybody know a novel with a member of the Hammers of Grimjaws order as main charakter? or a becoming member
(they are quite rare i believe)

i think it is an elite paladin order

i would also be happy if someone can name a book with a member of one of the other paladinorders of Tyr as main hero
scererar Posted - 08 Mar 2006 : 06:34:23
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

The paladin Bars from Ghostwalker. He is forthright and chivalrous, but those qualities are never written in a heavy-handed fashion.

He was certainly a more interesting paladin. Having "boisterous arguments" with his friend. They liked to poke fun at one another and throw insults but were serious when they really wanted to be. Definitely not the uppity paladin one is more familiar with.

I would agree with this assesment also, I truly enjoyed this character, with his fighting style and unique counter part, who was always there to lend a helping hand, dagger towards the lastest foe, or great one-liner to get them through the day

I just saw that was my 200th post, what no balloons, oh well I guess I will just have to continue to try and catch up with the rest of you
Darth KTrava Posted - 07 Mar 2006 : 03:51:34
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

The paladin Bars from Ghostwalker. He is forthright and chivalrous, but those qualities are never written in a heavy-handed fashion.

He was certainly a more interesting paladin. Having "boisterous arguments" with his friend. They liked to poke fun at one another and throw insults but were serious when they really wanted to be. Definitely not the uppity paladin one is more familiar with.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 Mar 2006 : 15:49:54
Scererar,

I'm going to reply to your questions in my thread over in the Chamber of Sages, so as not to disrupt this fine discussion.

http://candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930&whichpage=6

Cheers
scererar Posted - 06 Mar 2006 : 04:55:32
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Hello fellow scribes and great ones,
To put a twist in this matter of a paladin as a hero, Im sure that your familar with the Dungeons Masters Guide regarding a Blackguard Paladin as being anti-paladin or being an evil paladin in itself. Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin. If you remember in DCs Hall of Justice their was an evil hero for every good guy. With powers that combat each other. For example Green Lanterns main enemy who's name I forgot had a yellow ring of weakness to combat green lanterns ring of power. Sorry to get off the subject of Forgotten Realms bear with me. I think Blackguard Paladins are cool and bring flavor to the game.
Storm

well then, let's add Scyllua Darkhope, once devoted to Tyr, now Blackgaurd of Bane. She made a short appearance in the farthest reach. Additionally, yes I do remember at least one Paladin fighting an "anti-paladin". in the pools trilogy, Miltaidies, destroys his arch-enemy, who also returns from the grave. the rest would be considered spoilers ( I forgot his name, but it's there, trust me )
Wooly Rupert Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 16:54:17
quote:
Originally posted by Scot Storm

Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin.

It's not a Realms tale, but in the Rose of the Prophet trilogy by Margaret Weis & Tracy Hickman, an evil paladin fought alongside a good-aligned desert nomad. There was this one really great line on his part: "Nomad -- you have stolen from me, cheated me, tricked me, and now it seems likely you are going to get me killed by my own people." Ibn Jad shook his head. "By Zhakrin, I grow to like you!" (Pages 351-352, Paladin of the Night)
Richard Lee Byers Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 07:02:22
Sinestro was/is Green Lantern's archnemesis.
Although I always liked the Shark and Hector Hammond better.
Scot Storm Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 06:07:39
Hello fellow scribes and great ones,
To put a twist in this matter of a paladin as a hero, Im sure that your familar with the Dungeons Masters Guide regarding a Blackguard Paladin as being anti-paladin or being an evil paladin in itself. Is there any stories of a good main character paladin fighting an opposite anti-paladin. If you remember in DCs Hall of Justice their was an evil hero for every good guy. With powers that combat each other. For example Green Lanterns main enemy who's name I forgot had a yellow ring of weakness to combat green lanterns ring of power. Sorry to get off the subject of Forgotten Realms bear with me. I think Blackguard Paladins are cool and bring flavor to the game.
Storm
scererar Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 03:11:03
a little off the topic, but Erik, I really enjoyed these two characters, they almost remind me of Torm and Rathan from, the knights of myth Drannor. I especially like their individual fighting styles. Any possibility of these two appearing in the future?

Additionally Erik, according to your bio, we are from the same geographic location, at least if school attendance counts as residence.
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 19:51:40
quote:
Bars companion was not also a paladin was he? I can't recall his name right now for some reason.

quote:
Considering Eric described him as "too much of a rogue" for the Knight-Errant of Silverymoon Prestige Class in another thread I'd say no. He was a knight, though.

quote:
Consider also that in the novel, only Bars is actually described as a "paladin", the other two (Arya and Derst) are simply refered to as knights.

Bars is, indeed, the only paladin in Ghostwalker. Arya isn't, for fairly good reason, and Derst really isn't. He's far too independent (ahem. "chaotic") to bind himself to one particular path. He's also not a knight-errant -- my editor told me, in no uncertain terms, that that particular branch of the order doesn't accept rogues. . . at least rogues who are, first and foremost, rogues.

This is not to imply, of course, that rogues can't be -- or even make poor -- paladins. I'm a particular fan of the Shadowbane Inquisitor class from Complete Adventurer, which is a rogue/paladin crossing. Though those would be strictly ordered and focused on the good of humanity (ahem. "lawful good") rogues.

Cheers
Sarta Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 15:55:28
quote:
Originally posted by Beezy

Bars companion was not also a paladin was he? I can't recall his name right now for some reason.

WARNING: very minor spoiler here:

My guess is Derst Goldtook is a rogue/fighter and he does inadvertantly or intentionally blunder and hint that he may have been or may be associated with the harpers, if not a member.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 14:51:35
Consider also that in the novel, only Bars is actually described as a "paladin", the other two (Arya and Derst) are simply refered to as knights.
Kajehase Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 06:05:37
Considering Eric described him as "too much of a rogue" for the Knight-Errant of Silverymoon Prestige Class in another thread I'd say no. He was a knight, though.
Beezy Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 05:04:38
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 17:09:46
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I definately liked Bars. And it was interesting to see a paladin battering people with two maces as well.

Three cheers for Combat Style feats (CW) and Lightning Mace.

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 15:55:39
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

Ghostwalker has a fun secondary character, Bars Hartwine, who is a paladin belonging to the Knights in Silver. He's definitely not a stick-in-the-mud paladin.

Agreed...I mentioned him in a previous post...
Volo Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 05:12:06
I can't quite remember if he was a paladin or 'merely' a knight, but Helm, from Elminster: the Making of a Mage was very much an example of how to play a good knightly-type without being preachy. He's also a good example of how a Lawful Good character can work outside the offical laws of the land when he has no other choice.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 03:08:14
I definately liked Bars. And it was interesting to see a paladin battering people with two maces as well.
Sarta Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 02:53:20
Ghostwalker has a fun secondary character, Bars Hartwine, who is a paladin belonging to the Knights in Silver. He's definitely not a stick-in-the-mud paladin.
quajack Posted - 27 Feb 2006 : 18:01:15
The Paladin Corran from Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor is not smug at all. In fact, he is as much of a popular, unpompous individual as you're likely to find anywhere in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000