Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 (Yet another) Erevis Cale question

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwizard Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 12:53:21
I am planning to read the Erevis Cale trilogy, but I was wondering: do I have to read the entire Sembia series first? It's SIX books mind you! Are they centred around Cale? Are they a good read?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scererar Posted - 04 Mar 2006 : 05:06:34
I would also follow the advise of the Author. However, I have not read the sembia series yet, but did not have an issue picking up on the Cale trilogy
Alaundo Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 17:13:20
Well met

I'd second Paul's recommendation. It's certainly worth reading the whole Sembia series. It's still one of my favorite FR series of all time, and was a great format in which to do a series (an anthology followed by a dedicated character book by each author).

To get a full feel of Cale, Halls of Stormweather and Shadow's Witness are beneficial to read first and Cale does crop up elsewhere in other Sembia novels. If you have the time and he funds, read the entire series. Purchase the Erevis Cale Trilogy too and stack them up ready

You'll love 'em... guarenteed!
Beezy Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 15:17:27
Overall the Sembia series is a collection of fine books so you might as well finish it if you start it. Plus it gives you more background of where Cale is from and what not.
silverwizard Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 14:35:15
Hey, I got a response from the author!!!

Well, I just might read all of them, you never know! I'm not in any particular rush to start reading exclussively about Cale, so a little bit (...6 books ) of background won't hurt!
PaulSKemp Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 13:55:08
quote:
Originally posted by silverwizard

I am planning to read the Erevis Cale trilogy, but I was wondering: do I have to read the entire Sembia series first? It's SIX books mind you! Are they centred around Cale? Are they a good read?

Silverwizard,

I'll answer this directly. It is not strictly necessary to read all the Sembia books before reading the Cale trilogy. In fact, it is not necessary to read any of them, to judge from some comments I have received from readers who jumped right into the trilogy without ever reading the Cale stories from the Sembia series. So, you could start directly with Twilight Falling.

My suggestion, however, would be to read "The Halls of Stormweather" and "Shadow's Witness" at least. The former features Cale's first appearance in print and the latter is the first full length novel featuring Cale. Cale features to varying degrees in some of the other Sembia novels, but the events of the Cale trilogy don't build off of any of those to any large degree.

All that said, I will tell you that the whole Sembia series is, in my admittedly biased opinion, filled with good stories and interesting characters. I think reading the whole series would be worth your while. But I understand it is a lot of books.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000