Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Giants of Cairnheim

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 06:14:35
Yes, this evening is an evening of giant queries!

After recently seeing the entry on Cairnheim again, a stone giant village ruled by an undead stone giant sorcerer that has a council of undead stone giant cheifs, it just kind of clicked in my mind . . .

Dungeon #133 has a creature called a Raam, which is an undead stone giant species of undead that dwells in crypts that they created for themselves.

These things seem to be perfect for the Cairnheim giants.

Just thought this was an interesting thing to connect up, in case you might be tempted to pick up Dungeon #133.
14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Asharak Posted - 09 Feb 2019 : 14:04:16
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco
CREDITS: Author Thomas M. Costa, based on original material by Gregory W. Detwiler. The Cairn originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #244 (December 1998). Cairnheim was first mentioned in Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark (1999) and Underdark (2003).

Dragon Magazine #254 (December 1998), Giants from the Grave article.
warlockco Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 01:52:43
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Sorry Warlocko no estimates. I'm just not seeing a time when I'm going to be able to devote the time I need to finish it up right now. All I can say is that it will eventually come together. Eric (obviously) and I have been drawn to other projects.

No problem,
Hope your current endeavors go great.
TomCosta Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 15:48:02
Sorry Warlocko no estimates. I'm just not seeing a time when I'm going to be able to devote the time I need to finish it up right now. All I can say is that it will eventually come together. Eric (obviously) and I have been drawn to other projects.
warlockco Posted - 01 Mar 2006 : 08:02:38
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Sorry for the late arrival to the conversation. I converted them from the original Dragon article because Eric mentioned them in the original mention of Carnheim in 2E's Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. They are slated for Bestiary Vol. 2 whenever that gets finished, but I posted them either here or on the WotC boards some time ago.

Since you mentioned it any estimates on when Bestiary Vol 2 will be finished? No rush, can't rush quality, no matter what my bosses say
KnightErrantJR Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 21:08:43
Intersting, and thanks for in info Tom.
TomCosta Posted - 28 Feb 2006 : 21:04:30
Sorry for the late arrival to the conversation. I converted them from the original Dragon article because Eric mentioned them in the original mention of Carnheim in 2E's Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark. They are slated for Bestiary Vol. 2 whenever that gets finished, but I posted them either here or on the WotC boards some time ago.
warlockco Posted - 25 Feb 2006 : 06:56:12
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Where did he revise that at? I missed that one. I was looking at this side by side with the Raam, which are just presented as a static monster, not a template. They have a static DR with no special items to weaken it, and they do Str damage with touch attacks.

It's unofficial. It's either in the bestiary Vol 1 on my site or planned for Vol 2.

--Eric

Tom had either sent it to me or had posted it on the WotC boards. I can't remember the exact circumstances anymore, but Tom had posted/sent it to me at the time that I did up the NPCs of Cairnhelm on the WotC boards in the Realms NPCs thread there.
Dhomal Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 20:30:28
Hello-

Well - thats about where I would have guessed.

Not that its a LOT - but I would recomend 100% that you go buy - and read - Master of Chains - a very good book - and it references some things of interest to you.

Dhomal
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 19:30:04
I don't remember seeing it in the Bestiary Vol. One, but I could have overlooked it. At any rate, thanks Eric.
ericlboyd Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 19:19:02
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Where did he revise that at? I missed that one. I was looking at this side by side with the Raam, which are just presented as a static monster, not a template. They have a static DR with no special items to weaken it, and they do Str damage with touch attacks.

It's unofficial. It's either in the bestiary Vol 1 on my site or planned for Vol 2.

--Eric
KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 17:35:25
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

Something that Thomas M Costa had done up regarding Cairnhelm.

Creating a Cairn:
“Cairn” is a template that can be added to any giant with the Earth subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A Cairn has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to Undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.
Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s. Cairns are particularly tough to destroy and gain +3 bonus hit points for each Hit Dice they have.
Speed: The joints of Cairns become calcified. A Cairn subtracts 10 ft. from its base speed.
Armor Class: A Cairn adds +8 to its natural armor class.
Special Attacks: A Cairn retains all the base creature’s special attacks and gains those described below.
Improved Rock Throwing (Ex): Cairn’s with the Rock Throwing extraordinary special attack add +20 ft. to their range increment with thrown rocks.
Plant Withering (Su): Cairns generate negative energy that causes 1 point of damage/hour to all plants within 100 feet. Over a period of months, this usually leads to the death of all plant life within a quarter-mile radius of the Cairn’s lair.
Special Qualities: A Cairn retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.
Damage Reduction (Ex): A Cairn’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 10/adamantine and magic. Its natural weapons are treated as adamantine magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Detect Thoughts (Sp): A Cairn can Detect Thoughts as though by the spell at will. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Immunities (Ex): Cairns have immunity to acid, cold, and spells with the acid, cold, or earth descriptors, except Stone to Flesh and Transmute Rock to Mud. Both Stone to Flesh and Transmute Rock to Mud weaken the Cairn’s damage reduction to 10/magic.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +8, Dex –4, Cha +4. Being Undead, a Cairn has no Constitution score.
Skills: Cairns have a +4 Racial bonus to Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks and a +8 Racial bonus to Move Silently checks. A Cairn gains a +12 Racial bonus on Hide checks in rocky terrain.
Feats: Cairns gain Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Natural Attack (Slam), and Improved Sunder as bonus feats, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
Alignment: Any Evil.
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +5.

CREDITS: Author Thomas M. Costa, based on original material by Gregory W. Detwiler. The Cairn originally appeared in Dragon Magazine #244 (December 1998). Cairnheim was first mentioned in Drizzt Do’Urden’s Guide to the Underdark (1999) and Underdark (2003).

KnightErrantJR Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 17:32:01
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Where is this village located?

Have you read Master of Chains yet?

Dhomal

Nope, haven't gotten Master of Chains yet. I was caught up in trying to stay current with the Book Club selections, so I missed that one and jumped straight to Ghostwalker.

Cairnheim is in the Upperdark about smack dab in the middle of the Underdark map on page 124 of Underdark.
warlockco Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 09:35:54
Something that Thomas M Costa had done up regarding Cairnhelm.

Creating a Cairn:
“Cairn” is a template that can be added to any giant with the Earth subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A Cairn has all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.
Size and Type: The creature’s type changes to Undead. Do not recalculate base attack bonus, saves, or skill points. Size is unchanged.
Hit Dice: Increase all current and future Hit Dice to d12s. Cairns are particularly tough to destroy and gain +3 bonus hit points for each Hit Dice they have.
Speed: The joints of Cairns become calcified. A Cairn subtracts 10 ft. from its base speed.
Armor Class: A Cairn adds +8 to its natural armor class.
Special Attacks: A Cairn retains all the base creature’s special attacks and gains those described below.
Improved Rock Throwing (Ex): Cairn’s with the Rock Throwing extraordinary special attack add +20 ft. to their range increment with thrown rocks.
Plant Withering (Su): Cairns generate negative energy that causes 1 point of damage/hour to all plants within 100 feet. Over a period of months, this usually leads to the death of all plant life within a quarter-mile radius of the Cairn’s lair.
Special Qualities: A Cairn retains all the base creature’s special qualities and gains those described below.
Damage Reduction (Ex): A Cairn’s undead body is tough, giving the creature damage reduction 10/adamantine and magic. Its natural weapons are treated as adamantine magic weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Detect Thoughts (Sp): A Cairn can Detect Thoughts as though by the spell at will. The save DC is Charisma-based.
Immunities (Ex): Cairns have immunity to acid, cold, and spells with the acid, cold, or earth descriptors, except Stone to Flesh and Transmute Rock to Mud. Both Stone to Flesh and Transmute Rock to Mud weaken the Cairn’s damage reduction to 10/magic.
Abilities: Increase from the base creature as follows: Str +8, Dex –4, Cha +4. Being Undead, a Cairn has no Constitution score.
Skills: Cairns have a +4 Racial bonus to Intimidate, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks and a +8 Racial bonus to Move Silently checks. A Cairn gains a +12 Racial bonus on Hide checks in rocky terrain.
Feats: Cairns gain Improved Critical (Slam), Improved Natural Attack (Slam), and Improved Sunder as bonus feats, assuming the base creature meets the prerequisites and doesn’t already have these feats.
Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +2.
Alignment: Any Evil.
Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +5.

Dhomal Posted - 24 Feb 2006 : 07:09:09
Hello-

Where is this village located?

Have you read Master of Chains yet?

Dhomal

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000