Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favourite Planetouched?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Foxhelm Posted - 22 Feb 2006 : 23:53:07
I was just curious about your favourites among the oddballs that are those touched by the planes? I have used Races of Faerun as a base, but I have left an other option open in case you have one from another source. Like one of the Monster Manuals. I am curious about your opinions.

Thanks.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Thauranil Posted - 30 Dec 2011 : 09:31:40
quinsareth the ghostwalker is my fav assimar and no he does not have wings or a halo.
Dennis Posted - 29 Dec 2011 : 15:42:09

I used to like winged humanoids... But I got over it.
Thauranil Posted - 29 Dec 2011 : 15:13:28
Well the genasi would be my second choice. Ice is a good attribute but I think the stomsouls are the toughest.
Erudite Posted - 29 Dec 2011 : 13:57:27
Aasimar or Ice Genasi
Thauranil Posted - 29 Dec 2011 : 12:45:45
Aasimar is my favorite planetouched and it seems that most of us agree on that. they are definitely the coolest, with supernatural powers and near immortality. Who would nt want that.
Diffan Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 18:04:26
I think from a mechanics stand point of 3.5, then the Aasimar is a pretty decent choice. It fits very well with Cleric, Paladin, Sorcerer, Hexblade, Bard, and espically Favored Soul. It's spell-like abilities aren't that bad and with the Racial feat support they receive from Races of Faerun make them really shine.

Tieflings are also good choice but their racial penalty is rather stupid and unnecessary and thus hurts them when trying for Charisma-based classes. They can, however, conform to some potent classes including Duskblades, Rangers, Rogues, Swashbucklers, and Wizards. I houserule them so that they receive no CHA penalty. And their appearance is purely unrelated to their mechanics, so I pretty much allow from the very faint-traces of their Infernal/Diabolical features to the intense ones like from the movie Legend.

I think a 3rd for me would be Genasi (either Air or Fire) as they appeal to me aesthetically. I also had the Dragon issue with the Azerborn and Celestial-Fey. Good stuff there!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 16:13:05
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

My "Other" vote was for "None". Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! Fey'ri most of all, followed closely by Tiefling (the latter due to the recently overhyped 'kewlness' of Tiefling Warlocks or what-nots in 4€).

this is why I like tieflings

That is a nice one... Though I had to look at it for a minute to try to find what made her a tiefling!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 16:04:02
quote:
Originally posted by jaelin910

and one thing that im cautiously curious about is how it would work "scientifically speaking" with an elemental

note: cautiously curious

It wouldn't necessarily involve a regular element. There are lots of planar critters that have strong ties to one of the elemental planes, but are not themselves the classic "just a collection of one element" elementals. Things like jann, djinni, efreeti and marids, for example -- all of them are planar critters from particular elemental planes, but they have more-or-less human bodies. Any of them could thus mate with humans and spawn a genasi line.

On a related note, I much prefer the genasi of 2E and 3E, with the near-but-not-quite human appearance. I'm not a fan of the 4E "I glow in the dark!" genasi.
Quale Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 15:29:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

My "Other" vote was for "None". Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! Fey'ri most of all, followed closely by Tiefling (the latter due to the recently overhyped 'kewlness' of Tiefling Warlocks or what-nots in 4€).

this is why I like tieflings
jaelin910 Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 14:31:22
and one thing that im cautiously curious about is how it would work "scientifically speaking" with an elemental

note: cautiously curious
jaelin910 Posted - 10 Oct 2010 : 14:20:18
i hadnt realised haer'dalis was a teifling that might have influenced my choice if i had but its to late i would have to go with air or fire genasi (i like the idea of air but have read some books with fire) i sort of like earth genasi to but only because of using one as a tank in NWN2 SOZ. neeshka in NWN2 makes me somewhat dislike teifling(she could have been so much more awesome).
and, once again in NWN2 SOZ, the aassimar looks were their downfall
bitter thorn Posted - 14 Jul 2009 : 00:44:31
I like using Tanarukk for OPFOR as well.

quote:
Originally posted by houstonderek

I had to go with Tanarukk, if only because one of the best sessions I've run in FR involved them heavily. I updated A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity, for 3.5 and placed it in Chessenta (slaves are listed as an export in the FRCS, so I figured I was on safe ground), and gave the party the specific mission of rescuing the scion of a Sembian merchant family.

The party consisted of a Gloaming Rogue 8, an Air Genasi Ranger 7, a Human Fighter 9, a Human Wizard 9, a Kobold Cleric of Lathander 9 (don't ask, dude role played the heck out of the character...) and a Human Fighter 2/Sorcerer 7. I limited everyone to core plus FR books for the campaign, and no one was too interested in PrCs, but the fighter eventually wanted to take Purple Dragon Knight levels (he was Cormyrian).

I replaced a number of the normal orcs with half-orcs and a few Tanarukk, most notably a Tanarukk Barbarian 4 (he was nasty). The party made it through most of the upper level with little difficulty, but in the shrine of Gruumsh, they were having the fight of their lives. The encounter consisted of six stock orcs, four orc warriors (4th level each), three half orc Rangers (5th level, favored enemy humans), three stock Tanarukk, Krosh, Tanarukk Barbarian 4, and Hlaria, Orc Cleric of Gruumsh 8. Yeah, tough encounter, but the party was well equipped and tactically sound, so they could handle EL inappropriate encounters if I didn't go overboard.

Before entering the temple area, they had to pass through a pair of caryatid columns. The temple was formerly dedicated to Tempus, and the password to avoid activating the statues was "Battle Prowess", and each person had to make a gesture of deference to Tempus while voicing the words in order to pass (I made it a DC 15 knowledge check, which "Brother Kobold" made easily, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to figure out). Long story short, the battle was going fairly well for the party, except the barbarian. He was inflicting some heavy damage on the fighter, but the kobold kept healing his ally, which enraged Krosh. He flew into a rage and started chasing the kobold, but the cleric kept making tumble checks and evading the Tanarukk's heavy axe. After a moment, "Brother Kobold" had an inspired thought, and bee lined towards the caryatid columns. He made the gesture and spoke the words, and passed the threat. I ruled the Tanarukk would be too enraged to remember he had to do that to pass safely, and the caryatid columns activated, attacking him. He managed to take one out before the other (with help from the kobold) finished him.

Hlaria was making a withdrawal to a secret door behind the statue of Gruumsh when she saw her lover fall, lost all sense, charged the party, and was cut down by the Genasi. The fighter/sorcerer was cut down, and the gloaming was severely wounded (she managed to stabilize at -8), but the group was ultimately victorious, and was able to get away before reinforcements arrived. They eventually rescued the child, but it took another month of game time, a trip through the Underdark, and a nasty battle with a cabal of Red Wizards who were interested in purchasing the child in order to buy the loyalty of the Merchant Lord.

Anyway, that Tanarukk barbarian, his ferocity and his crazy death were the talk of the group for quite a while afterward, so I've had a soft spot in my DMing heart for them ever since.

Kyrene Posted - 07 May 2009 : 12:38:10
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

P.S. Apologies to Kyrene and all other tiefling/feyri-haters.

Haha! None needed Erik as we each respect the other's views and dis-/likes. Hells, one of my favourite pieces of art is Into the Depths by Howard Lyon. I just don't like playing (with?) any of the sexy lil' buggers.
Five_X Posted - 07 May 2009 : 02:04:22
Hmmm. I haven't heard of fey'ri before oddly enough. I definitely like aasimar though. Evil aasimar are cool! As for tieflings, I prefer the 3e version, they made a fun alternative to halflings when making rogues.
sfdragon Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 22:32:13
tieflings in a third, but not the LOD from legends style that 4e uses.( the tail is oversized)

Fey'ri, not so much though....
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 21:13:51
I've been a fan of tieflings ever since I saw the beyond-lovely art in the Planes of Chaos boxed set back when I was a kid. It's an enduring image for me: the tieflings in my games resemble tieflings from 2e and 3e, not 4e (i.e., they vary considerably in appearance).

I also am rather fond of fey'ri, as I think a certain recent publication of mine suggests.

Cheers

P.S. Apologies to Kyrene and all other tiefling/feyri-haters.
Brynweir Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 20:54:58
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:
Originally posted by Nerfed2Hell

...and a human/chaos beast hybrid

-How the hell would that work...? I'm sure, even in "progressive" places like Faerūn, such conduct with a Chaos Beast is unbecoming and frowned upon.

No one said that paticular pairing was done by choice... 'Tis a dangerous world after all. Not to mention there are some strange people who make strange choices in the hopes of gaining power. Who knows why someone might willingly make such a match?
sfdragon Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 20:10:13
air gensai with aasimar as a second
Kyrene Posted - 24 Apr 2009 : 13:08:35
houstonderek Posted - 23 Apr 2009 : 11:36:51
I had to go with Tanarukk, if only because one of the best sessions I've run in FR involved them heavily. I updated A1, Slave Pits of the Undercity, for 3.5 and placed it in Chessenta (slaves are listed as an export in the FRCS, so I figured I was on safe ground), and gave the party the specific mission of rescuing the scion of a Sembian merchant family.

The party consisted of a Gloaming Rogue 8, an Air Genasi Ranger 7, a Human Fighter 9, a Human Wizard 9, a Kobold Cleric of Lathander 9 (don't ask, dude role played the heck out of the character...) and a Human Fighter 2/Sorcerer 7. I limited everyone to core plus FR books for the campaign, and no one was too interested in PrCs, but the fighter eventually wanted to take Purple Dragon Knight levels (he was Cormyrian).

I replaced a number of the normal orcs with half-orcs and a few Tanarukk, most notably a Tanarukk Barbarian 4 (he was nasty). The party made it through most of the upper level with little difficulty, but in the shrine of Gruumsh, they were having the fight of their lives. The encounter consisted of six stock orcs, four orc warriors (4th level each), three half orc Rangers (5th level, favored enemy humans), three stock Tanarukk, Krosh, Tanarukk Barbarian 4, and Hlaria, Orc Cleric of Gruumsh 8. Yeah, tough encounter, but the party was well equipped and tactically sound, so they could handle EL inappropriate encounters if I didn't go overboard.

Before entering the temple area, they had to pass through a pair of caryatid columns. The temple was formerly dedicated to Tempus, and the password to avoid activating the statues was "Battle Prowess", and each person had to make a gesture of deference to Tempus while voicing the words in order to pass (I made it a DC 15 knowledge check, which "Brother Kobold" made easily, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to figure out). Long story short, the battle was going fairly well for the party, except the barbarian. He was inflicting some heavy damage on the fighter, but the kobold kept healing his ally, which enraged Krosh. He flew into a rage and started chasing the kobold, but the cleric kept making tumble checks and evading the Tanarukk's heavy axe. After a moment, "Brother Kobold" had an inspired thought, and bee lined towards the caryatid columns. He made the gesture and spoke the words, and passed the threat. I ruled the Tanarukk would be too enraged to remember he had to do that to pass safely, and the caryatid columns activated, attacking him. He managed to take one out before the other (with help from the kobold) finished him.

Hlaria was making a withdrawal to a secret door behind the statue of Gruumsh when she saw her lover fall, lost all sense, charged the party, and was cut down by the Genasi. The fighter/sorcerer was cut down, and the gloaming was severely wounded (she managed to stabilize at -8), but the group was ultimately victorious, and was able to get away before reinforcements arrived. They eventually rescued the child, but it took another month of game time, a trip through the Underdark, and a nasty battle with a cabal of Red Wizards who were interested in purchasing the child in order to buy the loyalty of the Merchant Lord.

Anyway, that Tanarukk barbarian, his ferocity and his crazy death were the talk of the group for quite a while afterward, so I've had a soft spot in my DMing heart for them ever since.
Ionik Knight Posted - 15 Dec 2008 : 13:54:27
Top three for me would be Fey'ri, Fire Genesai, and Tiefling.

Scratching the itch now with two npcs: CN Thinblade and courtblade wielding Fey'ri fighter and a Fire Genesai Catfolk archery ranger.

Ionik Knight
Quale Posted - 01 Dec 2008 : 20:28:11
quasielemental genasi (ash)

also like

glimmerfolk, worghest, tiefling

or homebrew

rilmanarr, kamerel
Wooly Rupert Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 19:31:05
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Are there any other 3.x planetouched resources out there?

This: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51295

Children of the Planes, a third party sourcebook devoted to planetouched type races. Twelve races, a handful of feats, and about a half dozen prestige classes relating to those races.

The races include:
  • a human/formian hybrid

• an elven/celestial hybrid

• a dwarf/celestial hybrid

• a halfling/efreeti hybrid

• an orc/rakshasa hybrid

• an elf/succubus hybrid

• an orc/celestial hybrid

• a halfling/celestial hybrid

• a dwarf/kyton hybrid

• a gnome/dretch hybrid

• a gnome/astral deva hybrid

• and a human/chaos beast hybrid

I have that book. It's got some stuff that's good, and some that isn't...

There was also an article that intro'ed some new Planetouched races in Dragon 350 -- "Legacies of Ancient Empires" by Eric L. Boyd. The article intro'ed the azerblood (azer and shield dwarves), celadrin (eladrin and elves; see also Sean K. Reynold's eladree, an earlier, similar idea), d'hin'ni (lightfoot halflings and djinni), and worghests (barghests and goblins).
Lord Karsus Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 03:04:31
quote:

...and a human/chaos beast hybrid

-How the hell would that work...? I'm sure, even in "progressive" places like Faerūn, such conduct with a Chaos Beast is unbecoming and frowned upon.
Nerfed2Hell Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 02:55:38
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Are there any other 3.x planetouched resources out there?

This: http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=51295

Children of the Planes, a third party sourcebook devoted to planetouched type races. Twelve races, a handful of feats, and about a half dozen prestige classes relating to those races.

The races include:
  • a human/formian hybrid

• an elven/celestial hybrid

• a dwarf/celestial hybrid

• a halfling/efreeti hybrid

• an orc/rakshasa hybrid

• an elf/succubus hybrid

• an orc/celestial hybrid

• a halfling/celestial hybrid

• a dwarf/kyton hybrid

• a gnome/dretch hybrid

• a gnome/astral deva hybrid

• and a human/chaos beast hybrid

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 Nov 2008 : 02:08:32
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Tiefling! Liked them in AD&D, liked them even more in 3,5E. No comment about the half-fiend-look-alikes of 4E, of course.

I have to say I actually like the 4E tieflings, myself.
Amarel Derakanor Posted - 27 Nov 2008 : 10:40:48
I chose tiefling. Not that they've ever been used as an NPC, in my chronologies, but at least, they've been PC's once or trice, during the years. If played correctly, they can become quite complex and rewarding characters, I think, especially if given alot of focus, when they appear, be it as a PC, or an NPC.
Zanan Posted - 27 Nov 2008 : 09:43:27
Tiefling! Liked them in AD&D, liked them even more in 3,5E. No comment about the half-fiend-look-alikes of 4E, of course.
Elestar Posted - 26 Nov 2008 : 23:52:00
I have chosen aasimar. My favored planetouched is Celadin, and as I know it is a subcategory of aasimar.

Brimstone Posted - 08 Nov 2008 : 20:03:58
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I was just curious about your favourites among the oddballs that are those touched by the planes? I have used Races of Faerun as a base, but I have left an other option open in case you have one from another source. Like one of the Monster Manuals. I am curious about your opinions.

Thanks.

-Fey'ri for the win.

BRIMSTONE

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000