Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 26 Jan 2005 : 23:16:47
Well met

This being a collective scroll of any questions the Scribes and visitors of Candlekeep wish to put to a renowned game designer of the Realms, namely - Eric L Boyd. Eric has been a game designer for TSR\WotC for many years, with a vast array of products to his name, including Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valor, City of Splendors: Waterdeep, Faiths & Pantheons, Lost Empires of Faerūn, Serpent Kingdoms, Races of Faerūn and the upcoming Power of Faerūn, to name but a few.

Present your questions herein and check back to see what news may also come forth from the quill of this Realms master.
25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Veritas Posted - 26 Oct 2020 : 02:28:50
I wondered how Eric imagined up avatar class levels in the Faith & Avatars series of books. Did deities just pick and choose what classes and levels they wanted an avatar to have? On the design side, did you use some formula or range for determining how many an avatar of a power would have? I always thought it curious that Mystra’s avatar’s mage levels at level 40 was below certain exceptional “mortals” such as Karsus, Larloch, Ioulaum, and the Srinshee.
ericlboyd Posted - 08 Oct 2020 : 03:20:40
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Oh hey, I didn't realize who had written up Serpent Kingdoms until you asked that.

Eric,
I've always been curious since I really dug into that product, how much of those 3 countries (Samarach, Thindol, and Tashalar) was found in prior lore if you had to give a very "off the cuff" rough percentage? I only ask because I found myself very surprised about the region and only realized when I was reading it that I didn't think anything had ever really been done there. Then again, I have been wrong in the past, and maybe there's some product out there that has even more info. I must say I really liked those 3 places and was a bit irritated to see them almost immediately wiped at about the time that I was really starting to dig into them (because initially I had glossed over serpent kingdoms and stuck it in the pile of so many other things I had to read).

There were little bit of lore in various Polyhedron "Everwinking Eye" columns. Likewise, Prayers from the Faithful and the god books had little bits here and there. Searching for city names in those books is useful.

But most of it was me trying to logically extrapolate three unique cultures from what we knew of Calimshan, Halruaa, the Mhair Jungles, and Nimbral.

Well, just so you know, I really liked Samarach and Tashalar. Samarach reminded me of an anti-snake version of Conan's Stygia.

Glad you liked it!
sleyvas Posted - 06 Oct 2020 : 01:11:31
quote:

quote:

Oh hey, I didn't realize who had written up Serpent Kingdoms until you asked that.

Eric,
I've always been curious since I really dug into that product, how much of those 3 countries (Samarach, Thindol, and Tashalar) was found in prior lore if you had to give a very "off the cuff" rough percentage? I only ask because I found myself very surprised about the region and only realized when I was reading it that I didn't think anything had ever really been done there. Then again, I have been wrong in the past, and maybe there's some product out there that has even more info. I must say I really liked those 3 places and was a bit irritated to see them almost immediately wiped at about the time that I was really starting to dig into them (because initially I had glossed over serpent kingdoms and stuck it in the pile of so many other things I had to read).

There were little bit of lore in various Polyhedron "Everwinking Eye" columns. Likewise, Prayers from the Faithful and the god books had little bits here and there. Searching for city names in those books is useful.

But most of it was me trying to logically extrapolate three unique cultures from what we knew of Calimshan, Halruaa, the Mhair Jungles, and Nimbral.

Well, just so you know, I really liked Samarach and Tashalar. Samarach reminded me of an anti-snake version of Conan's Stygia.
ericlboyd Posted - 05 Oct 2020 : 19:35:36
quote:

Eric,

sleyvas Posted - 04 Oct 2020 : 22:19:42

Eric,
TheIriaeban Posted - 04 Oct 2020 : 18:33:19
Eric, I was wondering if I could get your insights on the Kingdom of Snakes. In the Serpent Kingdoms, you have this:

"By the first century Dalereckoning, the Kingdom of the Snakes had emerged as a regional power in its own right alongside such human states as the Talfirian- and Netherese-ruled Duchy of Indoria (located in the area known today as the Fields of the Dead), the Talfirian city of Talis in the depths of the Reaching Woods, and the Netherese-ruled subterranean realm of Philock, which lay just east of the Wood of Sharp Teeth (now known as the Netherese Caverns)."

In your estimation, how expansionistic were they being? I am asking to see what was preventing them from expanding into the Trielta Hills and on into Sunset Vale. With Ed's mentioning of the Giant Empire centered at the Darkhold during this time, I am wondering if it was this group that was protecting the area until Terpenzi was threatened by the Shadowking.
TheIriaeban Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 19:34:54
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

<Rolls save, nat 20> No can do my man. I haven't seen anything.

Drats!! I KNEW I should have researched a version that didn't allow a saving throw.
TomCosta Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 19:13:14
<Rolls save, nat 20> No can do my man. I haven't seen anything.
TheIriaeban Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 17:57:50
<casts charm person spell>
Buddy! Nice to see you again. How ya been? Look, there just this little thing. Really, it isn't important at all but it would be really cool if you could let me see a certain file. I promise I won't say anything to anyone. No one would know so how could you get in trouble? You can do this old pal of yours this solid, right?
TomCosta Posted - 02 Oct 2020 : 16:02:10
I may have unseen it. :-)
George Krashos Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 17:32:59
I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of said Unseen article.

(But seriously, it doesn't exist). (Really).

-- George Krashos
George Krashos Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 16:45:38
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

/ver
MystrylOS 4.1
Copyright A0, 1487 DR

/programinit SecretEraseFilesandSnicker +target GKrashosHardDisk +target ObscureTitles +targetcopy SleyvasMirrorLocation

-- George Krashos
sleyvas Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 13:43:09
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

/ver
MystrylOS 4.1
Copyright A0, 1487 DR

/programinit SecretEraseFilesandSnicker +target GKrashosHardDisk +target ObscureTitles +targetcopy SleyvasMirrorLocation
George Krashos Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 10:30:17

-- George Krashos
AJA Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 04:22:01
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Do we know it was really Krash?

How to tell, tho

I mean, he was already a lawyer. "[S]ophisticated and dangerous parasites, living off the labors of others" seems like....a lateral move, at worst?

Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 02:49:30
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Dragon #336 (October)
The Unseen (Eric Boyd) (scheduled, but not a sure thing)

Obviously not. Curious if this was ever written-up and if so did it ever make it into anything else? Or is it now and forever [Edvoice] NDA PAID PROPERTY OF PAIZO [/Edvoice]?

George says it's not on his hard drive, so I probably never wrote it. That's what he told me to tell you.

Do we know it was really Krash?
ericlboyd Posted - 01 Oct 2020 : 00:30:53
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:
Dragon #336 (October)

Obviously not. Curious if this was ever written-up and if so did it ever make it into anything else? Or is it now and forever [Edvoice] NDA PAID PROPERTY OF PAIZO [/Edvoice]?

George says it's not on his hard drive, so I probably never wrote it. That's what he told me to tell you.
AJA Posted - 28 Sep 2020 : 22:34:36
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I have the exact quote, but I'll have to share it later. This is my work computer and it can't access Twitter.

PaydenKP already has it, one page back in this thread, posted on 08 Jul 2020 (one post below Eric's first response to this question ).

Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Sep 2020 : 17:58:36
quote:

quote:

I will, of course, defer to Eric, but I think Valkur was a creation of Ed's and not Eric's, though given Ed's insatiable reading and world detailing, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

I'm pretty sure Ed Greenwood or Jeff Grubb created "Valkur." I think the name first appeared in the 2e boxed set, IIRC. Jeff would be my guess.

Ed answered this recently on Twitter. He played a barbarian named Vulkur in someone else's campaign. That DM died, and the players imagined their characters sailing off into the sunset. Ed imagined his being met by a deity, and named that deity Valkur. So it's kind of an homage to his late DM.

I don't know if the name was ever in Dragon, but I know it's in the OGB.

I have the exact quote, but I'll have to share it later. This is my work computer and it can't access Twitter.
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Sep 2020 : 12:05:44
quote:
Originally posted by Lhynard

Hi, Eric,

Do you know in which month of 1373 that Iryklathagra destroyed the Palace Ward of Calimport?

I don't think we pinned down the exact month.

I think you could get close by looking at the start and end of the Dracorage in the Year of Rogue Dragon's trilogy, as it has to be in that range. Then I'd look at Midnight's Mask to see when exactly the temple was "whole" again, with enough time to have had the temple repaired.

My guess is that's going to be an early summer timeframe, but you'll have to check.
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Sep 2020 : 12:01:25
quote:
Originally posted by Lhynard

I have another dragon question. Were the lung dragons of Kara-Tur affected by the dracorage? Or were they immune to that?

All dragons were affected. Some had ways of avoiding the effects (e.g. by withdrawing to another plane/world, using a magic item, etc.).

My guess is the lung dragons had some way of avoiding the Rage.
ericlboyd Posted - 28 Sep 2020 : 11:59:01
quote:

I will, of course, defer to Eric, but I think Valkur was a creation of Ed's and not Eric's, though given Ed's insatiable reading and world detailing, I wouldn't be surprised if you are correct.

I'm pretty sure Ed Greenwood or Jeff Grubb created "Valkur." I think the name first appeared in the 2e boxed set, IIRC. Jeff would be my guess.
deserk Posted - 15 Sep 2020 : 19:17:31
Hi, Eric.

I really liked the Polyhedron article you wrote on Llurth Dreier, which is a wondrously strange and alien drow city, quite distinct from any other, and I was wondering if you could possibly elaborate a little bit on on the relationship between the Ghaundaurite drow and the aboleth overlords in that city. Are all of the drow there mentally subjugated by the aboleths or only parts of it's society (e.g. the commoners or the slaves, etc.), and how powerful is the aboleth's hold over them? Are there also many drow there who work with them out of their own volition and interest, rather than through mental coercion? And are there possibly those who plot against them?
AJA Posted - 04 Sep 2020 : 00:17:13

quote:
Dragon #336 (October)

TomCosta Posted - 03 Sep 2020 : 17:01:27
The lung dragons would have been affected, but as you suggest, they likely would have plane shifted away to avoid the impact of the Dracorage.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2020 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000