Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 The national character of Impiltur

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Gerath Hoan Posted - 09 Feb 2006 : 20:36:59
This is a call out to all scribes, but particularly our resident expert on these matters, George Krashos.

I've been intrigued by the recent information on Impiltur provided in Champions of Ruin and the hints I've gotten from reading about Champions of Valor (I can't afford to buy myself a copy yet). The problem is, outside of them there's not a lot of published lore that I can find on Impiltur and I'm having a hard time just comprehending in the most basic terms what kind of society it is and the "national character" of the place, if you will.

Cormyr, the Dales and Waterdeep (and now to a lesser extent Sembia) are all easily comprehensible to me as individual societies with unique traits, but I can't say the same about Impiltur. I understand there is a council of Paladins, but does that mean that Knighthood and Chivalry compose a large part of society? Mercantile matters are also strongly hinted at in the available lore, but clearly they don't dominate things to the extent they do in other nations like Amn and Sembia.

Am I missing any good sources of Realmslore? I still don't have Champions of Valor, but otherwise my 3rd Edition collection of sourcebooks is complete. As for older editions, I have all versions of the Campaign Setting and various 2nd Edition sourcebooks too numerous to list, but which don't have any direct info.

Any information, even that which is not strictly cannon, would be great to get a clearer picture of this corner of the Realms.

Many thanks in advance,

GH
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 17:17:19
I was also thinking...why does Sambryl want to look younger? Why couldn't a 75 year old woman who looks her age also radiate strength and dignity?

I've noticed this with a lot of other characters too. Do the people of the Realms have the same fear of aging that many modern western people do? Does looking old imply weakness, ugliness, and being "past one's peak" the way it often does in the real world?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 14:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I thought that was just because many women of all ages prefer to dye their hair.

It's not the dyed hair part so much as the way Richard Lee Byers described how she looked with dyed hair.

-- George Krashos

Well, I don't really dye my hair (as I like my natural color), but I DO know that blond dye, and probably red, will eventually become "brassy" looking over time.
Gerath Hoan Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 10:23:19
quote:
Glad you liked it. Eric and I worked hard on it, to be sure. Yes, Sambryl is indeed 75, but doesn't look her age. She has had the benefit of longevity magic thanks to her Mage Royal so looks to be in her early 50s. The dyed hair look in The Rage is due to ... well, let's just say that someone's playing with her mind a tad lately.

-- George Krashos

Well Champions of Valor had some great lore indeed, the lineage of the Royal family was lovingly convuluted. It was fun to scribble out a partial family tree to work it all out.

So, who is the current Mage Royal of Impiltur?

GH
George Krashos Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 04:22:12
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I thought that was just because many women of all ages prefer to dye their hair.

It's not the dyed hair part so much as the way Richard Lee Byers described how she looked with dyed hair.

-- George Krashos
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 01:53:25
George Krashos Posted - 03 Mar 2006 : 00:36:44
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan

I finally got Champions of Valor and the Impiltur lore is unbelivably good... the whole second dynasty is spelled out in great detail, apart from the exact descent of the current King and Lords of Imphras.

Quick question though, is Queen Sambryl really 75? And if so, does she magically preserve her youth or does she appear as her age suggests?

Glad you liked it. Eric and I worked hard on it, to be sure. Yes, Sambryl is indeed 75, but doesn't look her age. She has had the benefit of longevity magic thanks to her Mage Royal so looks to be in her early 50s. The dyed hair look in The Rage is due to ... well, let's just say that someone's playing with her mind a tad lately.

-- George Krashos
Kajehase Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 22:23:13
In The Rage, she's described as looking like a middle-aged woman with "brassy" hair, so she's either very well-preserved, a very human-looking half-elf (probably without her mother letting her 'father' know about it), does something to appear younger than she is, or is younger than 75.
Gerath Hoan Posted - 02 Mar 2006 : 22:07:14
I finally got Champions of Valor and the Impiltur lore is unbelivably good... the whole second dynasty is spelled out in great detail, apart from the exact descent of the current King and Lords of Imphras.

Quick question though, is Queen Sambryl really 75? And if so, does she magically preserve her youth or does she appear as her age suggests?
TomCosta Posted - 16 Feb 2006 : 22:18:00
Sorry I'm late to the discussion, but 'ahead in the queu.' What queu? I wish. :-) And George, I'm happy to work with you on something any time.
Kuje Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 00:38:39
At lot of the Heralds in Cormyr have also been mentioned/stated in other sourcebooks. :)
Arivia Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 00:16:05
quote:

I wouldn't lie to you, Arivia. Well, not about Impiltur, at least.

-- George Krashos

Good, George, good...and now I shall return to more Impilturian lore and writing my articles for the Compendium...
George Krashos Posted - 14 Feb 2006 : 00:11:02
I wouldn't lie to you, Arivia. Well, not about Impiltur, at least.

-- George Krashos
Arivia Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 23:10:52
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
It's right there in the Heralds section of Cloak & Dagger.... Page 88:
quote:
In some countries, such as Cormyr and Impiltur, Heralds are incorporated into the government itself as assistants and aides to local rulers.

Okay, fine, then my eyes need replacing.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 23:01:17
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

Well, in terms of law and order, "Cloak & Dagger" tells us that the Heralds of Faerūn are incorporated into the governing structure of a few realms, including Impiltur.

George, you terrible terrible man...I spent days on a chase for this reference in C&D before finding it today in Bloodstone Lands!

It's right there in the Heralds section of Cloak & Dagger.... Page 88:
quote:
In some countries, such as Cormyr and Impiltur, Heralds are incorporated into the government itself as assistants and aides to local rulers.
Arivia Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 20:32:01
quote:

Well, in terms of law and order, "Cloak & Dagger" tells us that the Heralds of Faerūn are incorporated into the governing structure of a few realms, including Impiltur.

George, you terrible terrible man...I spent days on a chase for this reference in C&D before finding it today in Bloodstone Lands!
Hoondatha Posted - 13 Feb 2006 : 02:50:39
Of course! One can never be too king!

(Sorry. Been reading Coral Kingdom for the first time. Tristan's lost his memory... he needs to be more king!)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 19:21:57
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Thou art too king

Too king?

Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 19:12:53
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Aw, gee, thanks. Go ahead and put that one in the library, but if I can get to it, I'll get a slightly edited version to you with the canon version of the Earthwood restored, and a few other things removed to make it more useful for your average scribe.

Well met

Ahh, splendid, Arivia. Thou art too king I'll hang fire for the moment then and wait for thee to slip an updated scroll upon my desk at some point
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 16:43:47
quote:

Oh we can't let thee loose throughout the whole of Candlekeep, Wooly... 'twould be mayhem!

And what's so bad about that?
Arivia Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 15:26:45
quote:
Originally posted by Gerath Hoan
Where abouts did Eric make those comments? I do recall seeing something about them, but I'd love a second glance at them whilst Impiltur is foremost in my mind.

GH

Here.
Gerath Hoan Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 15:05:14
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
...along with Eric's comments about using the lore for Impiltur in both CoR and CoV as a "mini-setting".

Where abouts did Eric make those comments? I do recall seeing something about them, but I'd love a second glance at them whilst Impiltur is foremost in my mind.

GH
The Sage Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 14:48:25
Sounds good. Let us know when it's done...

Once it is hosted on Candlekeep, I'll provide a link for it in my FR FAQ... along with Eric's comments about using the lore for Impiltur in both CoR and CoV as a "mini-setting".
Arivia Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 14:14:43
quote:
Having said that though... I really think this compilation should also be made available here at Candlekeep.

quote:
..and I agree, Arivia should not be keeping this valuable scroll tucked away like that

Aw, gee, thanks. Go ahead and put that one in the library, but if I can get to it, I'll get a slightly edited version to you with the canon version of the Earthwood restored, and a few other things removed to make it more useful for your average scribe.
Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 10:33:48
quote:

quote:

Arivia, your link isn't working, perhaps because the "http://" was left out. To save you the effort, I'll post the corrected link here (I can't edit in this thread).

It wasn't that. The first URL had candlekeep.com as part of the address. That's why it wasn't working.

Having said that though... I really think this compilation should also be made available here at Candlekeep.

Well met

Aye, the URL appeared to be prefixed with candlekeep.com, but this was inserted by the forum software on the fly due to having "http" omitted within the actual post. (editing Arivia's post earlier revealed this). Still, 'tis now fixed.

..and I agree, Arivia should not be keeping this valuable scroll tucked away like that
The Sage Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 10:25:18
quote:

Arivia, your link isn't working, perhaps because the "http://" was left out. To save you the effort, I'll post the corrected link here (I can't edit in this thread).

It wasn't that. The first URL had candlekeep.com as part of the address. That's why it wasn't working.

Alaundo Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 10:23:20
quote:

Well met

Arivia's original thread has now been corrected.

Oh we can't let thee loose throughout the whole of Candlekeep, Wooly... 'twould be mayhem!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Feb 2006 : 05:30:45
scererar Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 18:07:22
how about warriors and priests of the realms, it was a very useful 2E source book to me. It almost seemed to me a precursor to 3E, as far as region specific and prestige class information
Arivia Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 17:52:59
For anyone looking for an overview of Impiltur pulling together most of the disparate sources, I've completed my campaign handout, which can be found here.
Arivia Posted - 11 Feb 2006 : 12:39:54
quote:
And how is it that I'm not a published Realms author? Well, I simply don't write enough stuff that gets published to put me in the eye of the powers that be.

You've actually got a development credit in Champions of Ruin, you know...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000