Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Wizards Series

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
DragonReader Posted - 25 Jan 2006 : 14:25:39
Amazon.com has added "Darkvision" by Bruce Cordell to it's catalog. This book is part of the wizards series and is scheduled for release in September (according to Amazon).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786940174/qid=1138198412/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_7/104-9863126-3936714?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

The other books in this series are:

Blackstaff, by Steven E. Schend
Bloodwalk, by James P. Davis (amazon has both of these listed for release in July, but I think that might be a mistake.)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Aug 2006 : 23:01:30
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

That could be said about a lot of mages.

Yeah, but of all the mages on the Wizard covers (indeed, out of most FR covers, period, that I can recall) this guy looks the most smug.
Wandering_mage Posted - 06 Aug 2006 : 22:47:57
quote:

Although that mage looks rather snooty.

That could be said about a lot of mages. Like that doesn't get said often right? I couldn't help myself. I had to say it, Mystra forgive me.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 01:43:49
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Very cool. :)

Literally. Although that mage looks rather snooty.
The Sage Posted - 05 Aug 2006 : 01:11:52
quote:
Originally posted by O Love

quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
if anyone stumbles upon this image, return here forthwith

Uh uh, pick me!

"Frostfell" cover (37 kB)

Mod Edit: Link repaired.

I like it.

Kind of reminds me of those "hypothetical" wolfens that were supposedly attached to the SJ setting.
Wandering_mage Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 21:47:18
Both Darkvision and Frostfell have awesome covers. I hope they are good books too.

I wonder why they haven't picked up a book on Tulrun or the Mistmaster. There are some cool stories just waiting to be told.
Kuje Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 21:24:40
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

Try this http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_wiz.html#Darkvision
I like this cover best of the four.

Very cool. :)
O Love Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 21:00:58
quote:

I'm getting a page not found error. :)

Link corrected, sorry.
Xysma Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 20:55:39
quote:

quote:

quote:

Uh uh, pick me!

Try this http://www.o-love.net/realms/head_wiz.html#Darkvision
I like this cover best of the four.
Kuje Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 20:36:41
quote:

quote:

Uh uh, pick me!

O Love Posted - 04 Aug 2006 : 20:17:23
quote:

Uh uh, pick me!

Mod Edit: Link repaired.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 08 Jul 2006 : 00:17:45
That picture is...kinda cool, from what I can see of it.
Mark S. Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 23:57:49
quote:
if anyone stumbles upon this image, return here forthwith I'm very happy with the look of the covers in this series and i'm sure it will be equally as stunning as the first three.

Well, there's a tiny image on page 13 of the Random House catalogue here:

http://www.randomhouse.biz/international/PDFs/PDF2006/Dec_On_Sale_web.pdf

Not the best picture quality by any means, but there it is.

Mark S. Posted - 05 Jul 2006 : 21:48:14
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
I don't have my book with me, but isn't "Frostfell" also a spell in Frostburn? Basically a mini-ice age?

Yup. The title of Wizards 4, Frostfell, is in reference to the spell, not the region.

Alaundo Posted - 05 Jul 2006 : 20:15:08
quote:
Originally posted by Mark S.

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I wonder when we'll ever see the cover art for Frostfell and Darkvision.

I saw the final cover of FROSTFELL a couple of weeks ago. The Art Director literally just finished it. I suspect it will be up at Wizards.com, Amazon, or even Random House fairly soon. It looks great! All of the Wizards covers look outstanding. I love 'em.

Well met

Thank ye for the info, Mark, and welcome to Candlekeep

if anyone stumbles upon this image, return here forthwith I'm very happy with the look of the covers in this series and i'm sure it will be equally as stunning as the first three.
Mark S. Posted - 05 Jul 2006 : 17:51:28
quote:

I saw the final cover of FROSTFELL a couple of weeks ago. The Art Director literally just finished it. I suspect it will be up at Wizards.com, Amazon, or even Random House fairly soon. It looks great! All of the Wizards covers look outstanding. I love 'em.

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Jul 2006 : 04:07:29
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hm . . . guess I'll be reading Lady of Poison before I get Darkvision . . .

May help, unless Bruce Cordell is using a different Ususi who--by strange coincidence--also happens to be a Deep Imaskari wizard who lives away from her people, just like the one in Lady of Poison. ;)

Anyway, I though Lady of Poision was quite a good book, so it's worth the read in any case.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 03 Jul 2006 : 01:39:38
Hm . . . guess I'll be reading Lady of Poison before I get Darkvision . . .
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Jul 2006 : 01:33:03
I also want to mention that I love the style of these wizard covers--I don't really know how to describe this, but they seem both modern and "retro" at the same time...kind of like a throwback to older covers that actually give you a good idea of what these characters might really look like.

Compare them to the characters on the Fighter's series covers--they are pretty much all a blur and highly stylized (same goes for some of the other new covers).
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 03 Jul 2006 : 01:16:36
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

Ask, and ye shall receive (partly at least): Darkvision

Cool, thanks! And we have...a lady with red hair. =-|

Seriously, thanks though.

Turns out, Darkvision is about the character Ususi from Cordell's other book, Lady of Poison.
Kajehase Posted - 02 Jul 2006 : 23:55:43
quote:

Ask, and ye shall receive (partly at least): Darkvision
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Jul 2006 : 22:49:02
Alaundo Posted - 02 Jul 2006 : 09:30:17
Well met

Just a quick reminder that the Bloodwalk and Blackstaff threads are now available in the Candlekeep Book Club for those wishing to discuss the novels at this level. Both authors will be available to answer any questions ye may have
scererar Posted - 25 Mar 2006 : 08:56:58
quote:
Originally posted by SheriffJoe

Whoops....looks like I started a new topic too soon!! Sorry guys!

Mark has been editing the Eberron books and has Tales of the Last War coming out next month. I THINK Frostfell is his first novel, though I can't be sure! Anyway, I'm looking forward to this series. Hopefully it's as good a series as The Fighters has been.

I think Wizards is trying to keep specific authors in specific realms. Baker, Bassingthwaite and Forbeck seem to be Eberron authors now, while Bolme, De Bie, Kemp, Lebow and Smedman, among others, remain in the Realms.

This is a good thing...especially if you are a fan of all these guys (and gals)!

So far I have been a fan of them all. crossings "worlds" or whatever could be good, just would need to ensure the authors were familar with each particular setting, at least with what they were currently writing about.
SheriffJoe Posted - 24 Mar 2006 : 20:26:34
Whoops....looks like I started a new topic too soon!! Sorry guys!

Mark has been editing the Eberron books and has Tales of the Last War coming out next month. I THINK Frostfell is his first novel, though I can't be sure! Anyway, I'm looking forward to this series. Hopefully it's as good a series as The Fighters has been.

I think Wizards is trying to keep specific authors in specific realms. Baker, Bassingthwaite and Forbeck seem to be Eberron authors now, while Bolme, De Bie, Kemp, Lebow and Smedman, among others, remain in the Realms.

This is a good thing...especially if you are a fan of all these guys (and gals)!
Lord Nemes Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 22:48:45
thanks for the confirmation DragonReader.

In fact I think it's an interresting title. I'm curious about the region it will feature.
DragonReader Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 19:31:45
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

On this note also - I clicked on the link to the Amazon.ca site - and then clicked on the author link. Seems he has a Eberron novel coming out in April. I had the thought from somewhere that in general they kept their authors in one world - I'm not sure where I have that thought from though...

Its not like Amazon has not made mistakes in the past. That adventure in the FR that is being speculated about elsewhere here - as I recall - is listed as 32 pages - AND a hardcover....

Alaundo is right - time will tell.....

Dhomal

Actually the April Eberron book is an anthology that he edited (as previously mentioned he is the line editor for Eberron).

Anyway, Mark has confirmed on an Eberron-related website that "Frostfell" is in fact the 4th book in the Wizards series set in the Forgotten Realms.
EytanBernstein Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 19:06:50
There is a long history of authors writing for more than one setting. Jean Rabe wrote an FR novel, but also a number of Dragonlance novels. Don Bassingthwaite writes for both FR and Eberron. A number of authors have written Greyhawk as well as other setting based novels. While I'm sure you have some authors that definitely prefer one setting over another, many are quite versatile in this regard.
Dhomal Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 16:34:05
Hello-

On this note also - I clicked on the link to the Amazon.ca site - and then clicked on the author link. Seems he has a Eberron novel coming out in April. I had the thought from somewhere that in general they kept their authors in one world - I'm not sure where I have that thought from though...

Its not like Amazon has not made mistakes in the past. That adventure in the FR that is being speculated about elsewhere here - as I recall - is listed as 32 pages - AND a hardcover....

Alaundo is right - time will tell.....

Dhomal
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 15:39:44
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

According to the Frostburn sourcebook, 'Frostfell' is a term which refers to "any area - no matter how small (a single chamber within a dungeon) or how large (an entire plane) - dominated by a combination of ice, snow, and extreme cold, much like 'the underdark' references and endless variety of regions found deep underground."

I don't have my book with me, but isn't "Frostfell" also a spell in Frostburn? Basically a mini-ice age?

Cheers
Alaundo Posted - 23 Mar 2006 : 08:07:58
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Nemes

Hi

Alaundo, are you sure that it isn't an Eberron novel :P ?

I don't know a thing of Eberon but found that.
From Wikipedia: Eberon: ... Frostfell is an unexplored land of ice in the north...

Hope you're not turning on Eberon side :P

Well met

Indeed, Lord Nemesm I did wonder. However, i'm assured that this is indeed the aforementioned FR tome from the Wizards series.

Maybe more light will be shed in time. I'll try and see if I can unearth more information. Wizards have been constantly tight-lipped throughout the naming of the Wizards series, for some reason.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000