Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Special Mount for Paladin of Helm

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chosen of Bane Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 20:18:38
In my current campaign, a Paladin of Helm who has recently fallen into some bad publicity among the clergy will attempt to prove that he is still in the good graces of the vigilant one by calling a special mount in front of a public ceremony.

I was wondering what would be a good choice of mount for this character? I looked under the Faiths and Pantheons Web Enhancement under Helm and it did not list any animals sacred to him.

I am trying to think of something other than the standard War Horse, but of course, that could always do in a pinch.

As for the character personality (in case this helps), he is the quintessential Helmite. Incredibly lawful (to a fault) and is committed to defending his homeland (small town in Moonsea) against the villains of the area (Zhentil Keep).

Thanks in advance.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scererar Posted - 04 Dec 2005 : 05:01:59
I have always been interested in something like the stone horse the Paladin had in the Pool of radiance books. More magic item than summoned mount, but you indicated the character was higher in level.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 14:56:20
Heheheh... seriously, though - if you plan to do anything in depth with the deities - those books that Wooly mentioned are, without a doubt, a must! But I guess that's the problem with 3E, too much lore, not enough books to put it in.

C-Fb
Rory Posted - 01 Dec 2005 : 10:39:48
ahhh a 2e book. ugg I had hope that I scored a book with a messed up title.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 11:27:16
quote:
Originally posted by Rory

You mean Faiths and Pantheons?

To expand on the Sage's answer... Faiths & Pantheons is a pale imitation of the three 2E deity books: Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons, and Demihuman Deities. Those three books are essential resources for information on the deities of the Realms.
The Sage Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 07:07:21
No. Arivia refers to the 2e deity book -- Faiths & Avatars. See here:- http://candlekeep.com/bookshelf/products/9516.htm

Faiths & Pantheons is the 3e update for both F&A and the 2e Powers & Pantheons tome.
Rory Posted - 28 Nov 2005 : 06:55:06
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I dont know how educated the clergy are on the alignment of beholders. Its an idea that might backfire.

Spectators have special significance to the clergy of Helm-there's a very good relationship between them and the clergy. See Faiths and Avatars for more.

You mean Faiths and Pantheons?
Chosen of Bane Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 15:19:06
quote:
Originally posted by Vendrin

Just a thought... But would it not be a little arrogant and boastful for a paladin trying to "prove" his faith by summoning a mount, which in truth could probably be replicated by a unloyal paladin with the help of a wizard or a cleric of an evil god with the trickery domain?
In any case it just seems a bit something that a paladin wouldn't do. Perhaps he should slay an evil enemy of helm or make a vow to stand watch at a certain place without rest for a month or so.

This particular Paladin is a little arrogant. He is simply trying to show his followers that Helm still favors him and if Helm grants a mount than he is still in his god's graces.

The NPC in question is the epitome of good but a group of oppositionists have been launching a smear campaign on the Paladin and many of the "smallfolk" are losing faith in him. This move is to show the smallfolk that Helm still favors him. There is little fear of the smallfolk worrying about an evil wizard summoning a mount for him.
Arivia Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 08:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight
Hmm... so now we're back to thy old horses hey?

Mostly, yes(ignoring prestige classes and all that...)
Vendrin Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 08:20:48
Just a thought... But would it not be a little arrogant and boastful for a paladin trying to "prove" his faith by summoning a mount, which in truth could probably be replicated by a unloyal paladin with the help of a wizard or a cleric of an evil god with the trickery domain?
In any case it just seems a bit something that a paladin wouldn't do. Perhaps he should slay an evil enemy of helm or make a vow to stand watch at a certain place without rest for a month or so.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 08:00:58
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:

I remember that the old 3.0 Sword and Fist supplement or it's divine spellcaster softcover equivalent had rules on special Paladin mounts, showing at what paladin level someone could, say, ride a griffon...

What's the 3.5 book containing these rules? I have a paladin in my campaign and the time will soon come for me to beef up on special mount crunch...

There isn't one, as the paladin's mount ability underwent changes in 3.5.

Hmm... so now we're back to thy old horses hey?
Arivia Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 04:40:31
quote:

I remember that the old 3.0 Sword and Fist supplement or it's divine spellcaster softcover equivalent had rules on special Paladin mounts, showing at what paladin level someone could, say, ride a griffon...

What's the 3.5 book containing these rules? I have a paladin in my campaign and the time will soon come for me to beef up on special mount crunch...

There isn't one, as the paladin's mount ability underwent changes in 3.5.
Purple Dragon Knight Posted - 27 Nov 2005 : 01:27:23

Arivia Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 20:50:45
quote:

I dont know how educated the clergy are on the alignment of beholders. Its an idea that might backfire.

Spectators have special significance to the clergy of Helm-there's a very good relationship between them and the clergy. See Faiths and Avatars for more.
Kaladorm Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 20:40:36
Well if you look a little closer you can see Helm has ranks in Ride(Horse).

If Helm rides a horse I'd say it would be good enough for one of his followers :D
Perhaps have it shining white with a silver-blue tint (Helms colours). Also perhaps have the horse branded with the coloured blue eye of Helm (a brand too intricate to have been put there by normal methods)
Rory Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 19:23:15
Arivia Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 07:07:35
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I know this may be a few steps back in the discussion, but, how about an elk?

Do we even have stats for those in 3e yet?

EDIT: Just found some in Silver Marches, and dire elk stats are in Masters of the Wild and the MMII.

What about an axiomatic or celestial legendary horse?

Hell, what about an axiomatic and celestial horse?
Kajehase Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 07:01:45
I know this may be a few steps back in the discussion, but, how about an elk?
Arivia Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 06:03:29
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Spectators and examiners are LN
Watchers are TN

Now Im not sure if the PSectator has been converted to 3ed yet, it might be in Lords of Madness

Yes, and it was also in Magic of Faerun.
Dargoth Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 00:40:57
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

quote:

LN Beholderkin

If you played Baldurs Gate 2 there was one guarding a chest in the Shaungin city

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there were any Beholders (or kin) that were non-evil. I'll look into it, thanks.

Oh, and sadly I've never played one of the FR computer games. A guy that plays in my group lent me his copy of Baldur's Gate but I haven't got into it yet.

Spectators and examiners are LN
Watchers are TN

Now Im not sure if the PSectator has been converted to 3ed yet, it might be in Lords of Madness
Chosen of Bane Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 23:12:47
quote:

LN Beholderkin

If you played Baldurs Gate 2 there was one guarding a chest in the Shaungin city

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there were any Beholders (or kin) that were non-evil. I'll look into it, thanks.

Oh, and sadly I've never played one of the FR computer games. A guy that plays in my group lent me his copy of Baldur's Gate but I haven't got into it yet.
Dargoth Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 22:49:26
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

I'm not really sure what a Spectator is to be honest...?

LN Beholderkin

Chosen of Bane Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 22:45:08
I'm not really sure what a Spectator is to be honest...?
Dargoth Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 22:23:26
You could always have him summon a Spectator
Chosen of Bane Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 13:26:02
He is a level Paladin 10 (Vigilant Eyes)/ Champion of Helm 5.

He is very high level, and as I mentioned before, he's an NPC so is really only there for story purposes. He is NOT somebody that will be adventuring with the PC's.
Dargoth Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 03:47:04
What level is the paladin?
Chosen of Bane Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 03:39:54
quote:

How about an Axiomatic Heavy war horse or a Half Axiomatic Heavy Warhorse?

Yeah, that was actually my original thought, but then I was trying to think of a non-horse just to make it a little different than the norm.
Dargoth Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 03:30:22
How about an Axiomatic Heavy war horse or a Half Axiomatic Heavy Warhorse?
Chosen of Bane Posted - 24 Nov 2005 : 00:57:38
Thanks for the replies. I will check out the Asperi. I don't really think an elephant or bear would work.
Arivia Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 23:07:32
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

definitely a black unicorn from Thay <g>

seriously though, an asperii (the wind horses), is very fitting as a mount.

Asperi 3e stats are in the MMII, by the way.
sleyvas Posted - 23 Nov 2005 : 22:30:56
definitely a black unicorn from Thay <g>

seriously though, an asperii (the wind horses), is very fitting as a mount.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000