Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Blackstaff (Contains Spoilers)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 20 Nov 2005 : 00:44:37
Looks like we've got a cover illo.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9780786940165

Can't wait for this one to hit the shelves.

-- George Krashos
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Arivia Posted - 06 Jul 2009 : 18:37:42
Two years on, I'm just going to add my own voice to the chorus: this was one of the best Realms novels I've ever read. It was awesome, and I loved all the little details you put in, Steven.
Steven Schend Posted - 01 Sep 2008 : 00:05:24
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:
Originally posted by Warrax

This was a really entertaining novel; I rather enjoyed Tsarra learning more about Khelben (and learning more about Blackstaff tower and Maskar Wands).

Good stuff.

Thank you very much; I'm glad people are still discovering (or at least finally getting to) the novel a year after it launched.

Steven

How about two years, lol. Everytime I had money, no one had the book, but did when I didn't have the money, go figure. Excellent book Steven, I enjoyed it emmensly, and can't wait for Blackstaff Tower to come out in the next few days. THIS time, I put some gold away ahead of time.

~Kes

Humble thanks from the author for seeking it out and reading it, Kes.

I think you'll be rewarded by having the first novel fresh in your mind by picking up little tiny details in the 2nd novel.

Hope you enjoy it as much as the first, if not moreso.

Steven
Kes_Alanadel Posted - 31 Aug 2008 : 22:56:57
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

This was a really entertaining novel; I rather enjoyed Tsarra learning more about Khelben (and learning more about Blackstaff tower and Maskar Wands).

Good stuff.

Thank you very much; I'm glad people are still discovering (or at least finally getting to) the novel a year after it launched.

Steven

How about two years, lol. Everytime I had money, no one had the book, but did when I didn't have the money, go figure. Excellent book Steven, I enjoyed it emmensly, and can't wait for Blackstaff Tower to come out in the next few days. THIS time, I put some gold away ahead of time.

~Kes
Steven Schend Posted - 01 Sep 2007 : 19:06:18
quote:

Good stuff.

Steven
Warrax Posted - 30 Aug 2007 : 21:29:17

Good stuff.
The Sage Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 01:32:14
Indeed, Khelben did. See pg. 53.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 01:18:24
He had rejoined, if I remember correctly. I'd check my CoS:W, but I've not yet replaced it...
Zeboaster of Ordulin Posted - 20 Aug 2007 : 00:32:15
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Basically,

[Note SPOILERS]

Tsarra has assumed the guise of the Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. This means that right after the events of the novel, she is a Lord of Waterdeep, head of the Moonstars and mage teacher at Blackstaff Tower. We don't know what happens subsequent to that.

What is likely is that she might relinquish one or both of the first two offices. It's a crime to masquerade as a Lord of Waterdeep, so she may reveal herself to Peirgeiron who may decide to keep her on as a Lord. Or not. I doubt she'd get far trying to masquerade as one - although if that suits your Realms and campaign, that's fine as well.

She may have a better chance of masquerading as Khelben in terms of his leadership of the Moonstars, but canny members such as Malchor may soon find her out. This one is up in the air at present.

She will definitely continue 'being Khelben' in terms of a presence in Waterdeep and a presence in his wizard school in Blackstaff Tower.

She is not a Chosen of Mystra.

To correct one small point.

Khelben is no longer a Lord as of 1374. Didn't he bail out when he started up his new group?

I just finished this book about 15 minutes ago, and it was FANTASTIC. One of the finest Realms books I've read. Well done, Steven.

Steven Schend Posted - 04 Aug 2007 : 12:17:01
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Mmmmm... Realmslore-filled brains. It's what gets me going each and every morning!

Imagine the round table discussion in two weeks time ...

-- George Krashos

That depends entirely on how late we were all out the night before and what was imbibed. Hm, I'll have to come to that, if my schedule allows and lurk in the audience.

Oh, a Mindflayer's feast!

SES
Ergdusch Posted - 02 Aug 2007 : 17:03:33
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Mmmmm... Realmslore-filled brains. It's what gets me going each and every morning!

-- George Krashos

Oh, a Mindflayer's feast!
George Krashos Posted - 02 Aug 2007 : 11:31:37
quote:

-- George Krashos
Ergdusch Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 21:45:21
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or you could notate, as I just did (after the fact, obviously!) that the link to that Character Profile was in the first post on this page.

Actually, that link is broken, the one you just posted works.

I had the same difficulties, so thanks for the new and working link!

@ Sage: thanks again! Great infos, all! Now, all we need is a sourcebook on the new city of Rhymanthiin!
Xysma Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 19:32:47
quote:

Or you could notate, as I just did (after the fact, obviously!) that the link to that Character Profile was in the first post on this page.

Actually, that link is broken, the one you just posted works.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 18:26:49
Wooly Rupert Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 18:25:30
quote:
Originally posted by Na-Gang

Did anyone keep the profile of Tsarra? I can't, for the life of me, locate it on the Wizards' site anymore.

WotC's search engine works about as well as a tinker gnome invention... Use Google.

http://ww2.wizards.com/Books/Wizards/?doc=fr_blackstaffcp

Na-Gang Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 17:40:25
Did anyone keep the profile of Tsarra? I can't, for the life of me, locate it on the Wizards' site anymore.
The Sage Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 16:32:43
And regarding Laeral, this bit comes from Steven, back in Sep. '06:-

"Oh, and Laeral's not going off anywhere; I thought I left it clear that she's staying in Rhymanthiin, at least until the twins are born."

And this, also from Sep. '06:-

"FIrst, I have to acknowledge that I've got no control over what WotC or another author does with Laeral. That said, I assume she'll have some minimal contact with Blackstaff Tower, if only to claim some of her things sent over to the new Blackstaff Tower (whose elven name I'm blanking on, as I've not had coffee yet) in Rhymanthiin. If it were up to me, Laeral wouldn't set foot in Blackstaff Tower for the next 5-10 years at the least--the pain's too raw (and as another example, reread how she reacted to his death in Stornanter). But I've learned to never say never.....especially since I don't get to write the Adventures of Laeral and the Blackstaff's Babies."
The Sage Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 16:22:42
Sure thing. Sources include the Blackstaff novel, and select pickings from the brains of both Steven Schend and George Krashos.

Ergdusch Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 15:59:10
Dear Sage!

As always, I am astonished as to what lore thou are able to share with us here at candlekeep.

Would thou be so kind to enlighten me of thy source, oh most honorable one?

Ergdusch
The Sage Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 15:43:59
Basically,

[Note SPOILERS]

Tsarra has assumed the guise of the Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun. This means that right after the events of the novel, she is a Lord of Waterdeep, head of the Moonstars and mage teacher at Blackstaff Tower. We don't know what happens subsequent to that.

What is likely is that she might relinquish one or both of the first two offices. It's a crime to masquerade as a Lord of Waterdeep, so she may reveal herself to Peirgeiron who may decide to keep her on as a Lord. Or not. I doubt she'd get far trying to masquerade as one - although if that suits your Realms and campaign, that's fine as well.

She may have a better chance of masquerading as Khelben in terms of his leadership of the Moonstars, but canny members such as Malchor may soon find her out. This one is up in the air at present.

She will definitely continue 'being Khelben' in terms of a presence in Waterdeep and a presence in his wizard school in Blackstaff Tower.

She is not a Chosen of Mystra.

Ergdusch Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 14:49:31
I finished the book some time ago. Loooooooooots of information lorewise! Most certainly! However, it doesn't sit wellwith me - the realms without Khelben! that will be a canon development I will forever leave out of MY realms most definitly!

However, I wonder, is Tsarra now the owner of Blackstaff tower? and a chosen of mystra as well? and what happens to Laeral I wonder?

Ergdusch
Charles Phipps Posted - 05 Jan 2007 : 14:55:50
While the book was alright, I felt Khel's sendoff could have honestly used more Khelben.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 05:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The Avatar series is second only to RotA for making me break out in hives at the mere mention, but I do remember that there were significant numbers of undead shambling around in certain parts of the Waterdeep novel. For one thing, they killed Kelemvor (maybe that's why he hates undead...) Since Myrkul was the god of the dead and undead, I'd expect his horde would be mostly undead, supplemented by fiends. But it's been years since I've read those books, so I can't say for certain.

No, Cyric killed Kelemvor. If Kel had fallen to the denizens, then the events of later books would have happened differently.
Kalin Agrivar Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 04:05:56
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
[brBut wasnt Myrkuls Horde/legion made up of Outsiders from Mykruls homeplane? The Denizen write up in Waterdeep (The module) doesnt say anything about them being Undead...

I own the module, but don't have it with me...my memory says that the "dezien" was an (in 3E terms) outsider (I think similiar to a hordling) but there was also undead in the Horde too, like those undead horsement with the gaunts and life-draining scythes (can't remember their name )
Hoondatha Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 03:46:40
The Avatar series is second only to RotA for making me break out in hives at the mere mention, but I do remember that there were significant numbers of undead shambling around in certain parts of the Waterdeep novel. For one thing, they killed Kelemvor (maybe that's why he hates undead...) Since Myrkul was the god of the dead and undead, I'd expect his horde would be mostly undead, supplemented by fiends. But it's been years since I've read those books, so I can't say for certain.
Jagou Posted - 19 Aug 2006 : 03:32:58
Blackstaff is great. The best I have read in quite some time.
Epic and humorous.

No doubt that I will be looking forward to another book by Mr.Schend.

Thanks.
Dargoth Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 03:20:30
quote:

And now we have a character profile for Tsarra, written by friend Steven, of course!

Character Profile: Tsarra Chaadren

Interesting I have a question though

quote:

Short months after she arrived at the Tower, Tsarra learned to hate undead even more as Myrkul's Horde attacked the city

Im assuming Steven this refers to the battle in the streets of Waterdeep in the closing days of the Time of Troubles.

But wasnt Myrkuls Horde/legion made up of Outsiders from Mykruls homeplane? The Denizen write up in Waterdeep (The module) doesnt say anything about them being Undead...
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 02:14:43
quote:
Originally posted by Mazrim_Taim

A question. What exactly did Khelben mean when he said that Sememmon and Ashemmi were bound for far more than this gambit? Does this imply a future novel about them?

I think it just implies that they are bound for other, not-so-evil deeds. Maybe another novel is forthcoming, but who knows?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 02 Aug 2006 : 02:12:56
quote:

And now we have a character profile for Tsarra, written by friend Steven, of course!

Character Profile: Tsarra Chaadren

Awesome profile--it helps shed some light on why the character thinks and acts the way she does (which aren't fully explained in the novel).
Ethriel Posted - 01 Aug 2006 : 17:47:18
I was surprised how well it was handled. And I also liked hints about Semmy and Ashemmi...Semm's a far from the raving megalomaniac Knightsbridge smacked around in the Avatar trilogy now.
I do wish something'd be substantiated on why Ashemmi, apparently totally devoted to Sememmon decided to cuckold him...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000