Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Songs and Swords series continues....

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alaundo Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 17:18:31
Well met

For those not partaking in the Elfshadow Book club, I simply had to share this piece of valuable information regarding the Songs and Swords series

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

<snip>I'm very pleased that Elfshadow was chosen for the Candlekeep bookclub, and the timing couldn't be better. I recently received contracts for a sixth and final novel in the Songs & Swords series. More Arilyn and Danilo (and Elaith, of course) are on the way. I'm really looking forward to spending time with these old friends. :)

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
SirUrza Posted - 22 Apr 2006 : 01:45:10
quote:

Suddenly I'm feeling very tired....

Some story threads from THORNHOLD will be resolved in a new story in the upcoming "Best of ec" anthology. A few more will be picked up in the final S&S books. Prince Lamruil's adventures and Amnestria's firstborn son are stories that, at least for the time being, will remain untold.

Don't feel tired! We're all glad to see you again in print in the Realms again! There's only so much 1 book can cover and it is a S&S book on the table, not a harper book.

And so I don't die of joy I'll assume "books" meant book and that it was a hopeful thinking on your part as well that tagged on that extra S. If there's more then 1...
SirUrza Posted - 22 Apr 2006 : 01:39:12
Lol... genetic sports!
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 16:30:46
::shudders while trying to conceive of what a genetic sport might be on ESPN::
ElaineCunningham Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 14:46:10
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

What I think would be awesome would be Danillo and Arilyn's child to be a full Elf (mendel anyone?).

I don't think Mendel's peas could support this notion, and the elves of Evermeet certainly would not. :)

Even considering the possibility of a genetic sport (not the kind they report on ESPN, but a "throw-back" to an early ancester...), a full elf from two parents of mixed race isn't logical in the context of Realms genetics. With FR elves, the offspring of two elves of different subraces does not become half this and half that, but takes the racial characteristics of one parent. Thus, Elaith's daughter Azariah is a gold elf, even though he is a moon elf.

ElaineCunningham Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 14:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Hey Elaine are you going to try and wind up all the loose ends in "Restoration"?

Ie youve got Danilo/Arilyn/Lords of Waterdeep/Elaith vs Lord Hlune/Lady Thion/Sophie

AND

Brownyn vs Dag/Ashemmi/Gareth

Then theres the issues raised in Evermeet with the Elevn Royal family such as Elaiths Son, Lamuril new Elven kingdom and of cause Blackstaff not passing on the info to Arilyn about half brother (Come on Elaine youve got to include get that scene into one of your novels)

Suddenly I'm feeling very tired....

Some story threads from THORNHOLD will be resolved in a new story in the upcoming "Best of ec" anthology. A few more will be picked up in the final S&S books. Prince Lamruil's adventures and Amnestria's firstborn son are stories that, at least for the time being, will remain untold.
Shadovar Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 09:28:24
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

What I think would be awesome would be Danillo and Arilyn's child to be a full Elf (mendel anyone?).

Can you imagine Amauril having the heir of the throne being born of a half-elf and a human?

;-)

Danilo may have traces of elven blood in him thanks to his ancestry but he is still considered a human. Arilyn and Danilo offspring would be a human with some faint traces of elvish blood in their offspring blood but the phenotype(appearance) is definitely going to be human. This would be the more likely result of their union. But there is possibility of an elven child but it would be a very rare case and that depends on Correllon's will.

Amlaruil's heir must and have to be an elf in order for the People of Evermeet to accept the next ruler. A human/half-elven ruler won't last a single hour on the throne.
Charles Phipps Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 08:06:36

Can you imagine Amauril having the heir of the throne being born of a half-elf and a human?

;-)
SirUrza Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 07:31:49
Well atleast Arilyn and her half brother haven't kissed yet like certain other iconic sibblings that didn't know they were sibblings but the iconic wisemen in their lives new! :)
Dargoth Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 06:39:15
Hey Elaine are you going to try and wind up all the loose ends in "Restoration"?

Ie youve got Danilo/Arilyn/Lords of Waterdeep/Elaith vs Lord Hlune/Lady Thion/Sophie

AND

Brownyn vs Dag/Ashemmi/Gareth

Then theres the issues raised in Evermeet with the Elevn Royal family such as Elaiths Son, Lamuril new Elven kingdom and of cause Blackstaff not passing on the info to Arilyn about half brother (Come on Elaine youve got to include get that scene into one of your novels)

ElaineCunningham Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 05:09:45
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Hi Elaine . . . I've missed you in my absense from the Halls . . . good to see you again!

And you, good sir knight.
KnightErrantJR Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 04:51:10
Hi Elaine . . . I've missed you in my absense from the Halls . . . good to see you again!
ElaineCunningham Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 04:45:11
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

So we finally have a title, Restoration, sounds quite intriguing to me, what is gonna be "restored"

One correction: This is a "working title." An official title has not yet been decided. I'm post that info once I a) have it, and b) my editor tells me it's okay to share it.
SirUrza Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 01:42:41
Hehe. No, you can. :)
Reefy Posted - 17 Apr 2006 : 00:41:21
quote:
Originally posted by SirUrza
Yikes! No one tell Elaine about the new halfelf running around with a restored moonblade. ;)

Aye, rather you than me.
SirUrza Posted - 16 Apr 2006 : 23:38:59
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well the news just continues to get better and better This is absolutely splendid to hear. It appears that dreams DO come true afterall. ::opens up wish-list::

I was just thinking the same thing last night... hmmm no where did I throw that list of mine...

quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:
originally posted by Elaine Cunningham on the "Ask Elaine Cunningham" thread
This point is undercut--nay, nearly obliterated--if every good-aligned gold elf, forest elf, drow, or half orc paladin of Sune with a heart of gold and tusks to match* is able to carry a moonblade.

Yikes! No one tell Elaine about the new halfelf running around with a restored moonblade. ;)
Magic Matt Posted - 14 Jan 2006 : 21:11:11
It sounds fantastic, but we have to wait untill 2008!
Nooooooooooooooo!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Jan 2006 : 03:16:58
It could also have something to do with a certain elf prince that's never actually been seen in print, yet manages to generate a lot of interest...
Kajehase Posted - 13 Jan 2006 : 01:29:27
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Or it could have something to do with Elaith's moonblade...

Or it could be something to do with Arilyn's moonblade, I seem to recall Elaine aluding to it actually being pretty disfunctional.
quote:
originally posted by Elaine Cunningham on the "Ask Elaine Cunningham" thread
I see your point, of course, but there are reasons why Arilyn, a half elf of moon elf heritage, inherited a moonblade.

Throughout the Songs & Swords books, it is made very clear that Arilyn's sword is seriously FUBAR. It was dismantled after Princess Amnestria's union with a human resulted in two things: the creation of the elfgate, with disastrous results, and the conception of a half-elf child. In fact, Arilyn's conception and the creation of a new power for the moonblade were simultaneous events, and Queen Amlaruil never ceased to hold this against Arilyn. After King Zaor's assassination, a bitterly grieving Amlaruil decreed that the moonstone--a gem that acts as a conduit for magic--be removed from the sword's hilt and put into the keeping of Bran Skorlsun, Amnestria's human lover. The primary purpose of this was to weaken the gate between the mainland and Evermeet enough that it could be obscured and protected, but it was also a punishment--it effectively kept Bran away from Amnestria, who still carried the moonblade.

But tampering with an artifact is never a good idea--you can never been completely sure what the result will be. One of the unforseen results was the strengthening of the link between the sword and the child: Arilyn was linked with the moonblade long before she claimed it. Had the sword been whole, she could not have done so. This is never overtly stated, but the hints are there throughout the Songs & Swords books.

The misbehaving moonblade was a central plot point of ELFSHADOW, so it should come as no surprise that the sword was not exactly functioning as designed. The fact that Kymil Nimesin could further mess with the sword's magic makes it plain that its powers were seriously awry. Also, Arilyn relates to Danilo an incident from her youth, when she raised the moonblade against a young gold elf tormenter. The sword turned on her, which she took to be evidence that the moonblade would not allow itself to be raised against an innocent person. That gold elf's subsequent actions, however, made it plain that he was not an innocent. (Big hint to readers, there.) The moonblade was restored at the end of ELFSONG, and when we next see Arilyn, in SILVER SHADOWS, she temporarily returns the moonblade to a previous wielder. After that, (in the four-year interim between that book and the events of DREAM SPHERES) we are told that the sword became increasingly tempermental. Toward the end of DS, the sword turns on Arilyn and she was nearly fried. (Sound familiar?) She receives healing, but she's unable to wield the moonblade again during the final events of that story. It is assumed that the sword is defective--it is, after all, a tampered-with artifact--but it's also possible that the converse is true: the sword is slowly returning to its original state, and is functioning as it was designed to. What that means for Arilyn is a topic for another story, should such come about.

Now, stepping away from the overall series arc for a moment to consider the moonblade's role in ELFSHADOW. Giving Arilyn a moonblade was meant to emphasize and amplify the usual half-elf's dilemna of being neither fish nor fowl. Arilyn was daughter of moon elf royalty, the only part-blooded elf ever to wield a moonblade, yet most elves wouldn't give her the time of day. She is in a unique position, and that molded her into an extremely solitary person.

This point is undercut--nay, nearly obliterated--if every good-aligned gold elf, forest elf, drow, or half orc paladin of Sune with a heart of gold and tusks to match* is able to carry a moonblade.

Moonblades have become so popular and so common I half expect to see hand-written signs in the taverns of Waterdeep's Dock Ward to the effect of, "Good fish-scaling knife wanted. Will trade for moonblade."

But, it is what it is. Though the expansion of moonblades in game products does undercut the purpose of the moonblades as I originally envisioned them, I am keenly aware that it would be churlish to complain overmuch that ANY addition to FR lore that I've been priviledged to make has become "too popular." I'm just happy people want to read these stories, and incorporate some aspects of them into their home campaigns.

*Elaith's musings, taking from "Games of Chance," DRAGON #335

Oh, or it could be a new instalment in the War of the Spider Queen-series.
Reefy Posted - 13 Jan 2006 : 00:43:07
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That was what sprang to mind first with me. It could of course just be talking about things in Waterdeep more generally though. Or even something to do with the Harpers or Moonstars.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 23:46:10
Smyther Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 23:34:53
Off the top of my head, this says immediately to me: the Tethyrian Restoration. I think that Aralyn and Dannilo had some involvement with Tethyr, yes? I don't actually know if the tale of Haedrek/Lhaeo was ever fully told.
Dart Ambermoon Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 22:31:39
Oh yes, yes, YES! Praise be to you, Finder, I knew you could pull it off...err...ahem...I mean this is most terrific news, yes, terrific indeed.
Thelonius Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 20:35:45
So we finally have a title, Restoration, sounds quite intriguing to me, what is gonna be "restored"
The Sage Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 01:12:19
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader

I was just looking at Elaine Cunningham's website and saw that the working title for the final book in the Song and Swords series is Restoration. That is subject to change, but sounds like a good title to me.

In addition, on her blog Elaine posted her writing goals for 2006 which included three other Forgotten Realms projects:

1. A short story entitled The "Knights of Samular" for The Best of Elaine Cunningham anthology,

2. A short story called "Sisterhood of the Sword" which is not for any particular publication, and

3. An Elaith short story to submit to Dragon Magazine.

Looks like we have alot to look forward

Well met

Excellent news! Many thanks, DragonReader, for bringing this news to us. Thy traveling bardic skills have paid off once again

Agreed. Most excellent... .

I'm also very intrigued by this proposed "Sisterhood of the Sword". When Elaine returns, I hoping she could tell us a little about each work.
Alaundo Posted - 12 Jan 2006 : 00:22:31
quote:

I was just looking at Elaine Cunningham's website and saw that the working title for the final book in the Song and Swords series is Restoration. That is subject to change, but sounds like a good title to me.

In addition, on her blog Elaine posted her writing goals for 2006 which included three other Forgotten Realms projects:

1. A short story entitled The "Knights of Samular" for The Best of Elaine Cunningham anthology,

2. A short story called "Sisterhood of the Sword" which is not for any particular publication, and

Well met

Excellent news! Many thanks, DragonReader, for bringing this news to us. Thy traveling bardic skills have paid off once again
DragonReader Posted - 11 Jan 2006 : 20:53:15

DragonReader Posted - 09 Dec 2005 : 03:34:28
quote:

quote:

Does anyone know when we are likely to see the book? Perhaps in 2007?

More likely early 2008. My first-draft deadline is February 2007. I plan to have it finished and turned in about nine months before the deadline, but that is unlikely to affect release date. There's a lot more to scheduling a novel that simply receiving the manuscript.

Thanks for the info. I will be eagerly awaiting this book as I have enjoyed all your work that I have read so far.
Fenian Posted - 09 Dec 2005 : 02:26:07
quote:
More likely early 2008. My first-draft deadline is February 2007. I plan to have it finished and turned in about nine months before the deadline, but that is unlikely to affect release date. There's a lot more to scheduling a novel that simply receiving the manuscript.

I was hoping for an earlier date but still its really good new Miss Cunnigham the information of this novel would be appearing first in the WotC website or in your own website?

BTW its really an honor to meet you, even if it is through a forum, you are one of the best writers of the realms.
Reefy Posted - 09 Dec 2005 : 02:24:08
At least that's an honest answer, even if it does seem an awful long way away.
ElaineCunningham Posted - 08 Dec 2005 : 21:10:54
quote:

Does anyone know when we are likely to see the book? Perhaps in 2007?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000