Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 History of Candlekeep

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Hoondatha Posted - 11 Nov 2005 : 21:50:34
Hi all. I'm writing a paper on this site as part of a class in library school, and I wanted to enlist your aid. I need to discover how other people feel about this site. I would be exceedingly grateful if as many people as possible answered three simple questions.

When did you first find Candlekeep, and how?
How do you use Candlekeep?
How is Candlekeep different from other, similar sites? (Yes, rants against the Boards That Shall Not Be Named are allowed)

I may be popping up again over the next month with another few questions as my research progresses, but these are the most critical.

Many thanks from an over-worked grad student.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wandering_mage Posted - 26 May 2006 : 20:47:43
I second that Cyric! Well said!
The Sage Posted - 26 May 2006 : 01:12:36
Thanks for that Cyric-The-Insane. It's certainly appreciated.

It's comments like that, that let the Candlekeep staff know we're doing our jobs right in order to provide the most worthwhile site for quality Realmslore discussion on the web.
Cyric-The-Insane Posted - 25 May 2006 : 18:34:16
If you have a question about the realms then short of Ed himself none can better answer it then the people on this forum.

I trust nobody but this forum with my questions about where or what is going on in Faerun.
Alaundo Posted - 22 May 2006 : 20:27:28
Well met, Thrasymachus

Thank ye for the feedback and for the kind words. 'tis greatly appreciated and at least we're doing some things right some of the time

I hope ye continue to enjoy thy stay at Candlekeep and learn much knowledge and Realmslore herein.
Thrasymachus Posted - 22 May 2006 : 08:28:59
When did you first find Candlekeep, and how?
Word of mouth from another DM. We were having some minor canon debate, and he quoted this forum. After finally settling on the idea that it really was Ed, and Elaine, and Schend (and it goes on and on) that are clarifing things here. I just settled in, and read scrolls.

How do you use Candlekeep?
I just appreciatte the lore for the sake of the lore. I'll read up on people/places/things I have no intention of ever DMing in just to have it in my back pocket.
When there is something I am looking for, I can pop in a search, and often get back some real winners.

How is Candlekeep different from other, similar sites? (Yes, rants against the Boards That Shall Not Be Named are allowed)
Ahh, well I wandered a bit, and I did really try "The Boards that Shall Not Be Named". Simply put what I found here at Candlekeep is...
(a) Scroll titles that make sense. Scrolls that stay on topic by and large.
(b) The actual lore often referanced (Example: pg 35 of FRCS). That's really cool. It seems a certain amount of care is put into clarifying Interpetation vs Source.
(c) Everyone is very nice. Even when junior scribe goofs a Realms fact (flicks eyes to own post count ), there isn't a race to "pile on the acolyte". Just a "Here's the correction".
Even differing opinions about topics that are often considered tabboo, do not spiral into sulfer spewing hellballs that I have ever seen. Low forum drama.
They even welcome you when you sign up. I was dumbfounded that Alaundo actually greets everyone. That was so neato.
Kuje Posted - 21 May 2006 : 17:24:21
Here's the stated clerics that can be found at Candlekeep:

Jonril Narod, 5th Cleric, Male Human, NG, Oghma, Leader of the Temple of Oghma in Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Fourth Reader Shaynara Tullastar, 11th Cleric, Female Human, TN, Oghma, Researcher at Candlekeep. Member of the Moonstars, Cloak & Dagger

First Reader Tethtoril, 18th Cleric, Male Human, LG, Mystra, Scribe of Candlekeep. Protected by Mystra, Oghma, and Deneir, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast

There's a stated stablemaster, fighters, guards, the guardian dragon, and a thief listed in various sourcebools also and they can be found in the NPC tab, fighter tab, the monster tab, and thief tab in my NPC file. Do a find/search for Candlekeep.

Stated wizards are:

Druhzalar, 6th Wizaerd, Male Human, CN, Renegade wizard that worked with the scholars of Candlekeep, Marco Volo: Journey

Phyldia, 7th Wizard,Female Human, CG, A sage at Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Firebeard Elvenhair, 8th Wizard, Male Human, NG, Makes trips up and down the Sword Coast for books to bring to Candlekeep, Dragon #255

Keeper of Tomes Ulraunt, 9th Wizard, Male Human, LN, Head of Candlekeep, Volo's Guide to the Sword Coast
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 16:13:12
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

BTW, since all the scribes are apparently about, let's talk something Candlekeepish, shall we? Reading Elminster's Daughter I took note of some "monks" mentioned there. Is there a list of current and monks/scribes of times gone by somewhere?

If there is, I've never seen it, nor heard any mention of it. But, considering the level of detail Ed has dreamed up, I'm sure he can rattle off an impressive list.

Are you familiar with An Introduction to Candlekeep?

There's no complete list... or rather, nothing ever published officially. Ed's probably got something on this (and it'd likely make a great question for him provided there are no NDAs looming).

There's one or two mentioned in VGttSC as I recall... and in the early chapters of Ed and Elaine's CoS novel during the Candlekeep chapters. There are a few mentions in Ed's '04 replies too.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 May 2006 : 15:41:08
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

BTW, since all the scribes are apparently about, let's talk something Candlekeepish, shall we? Reading Elminster's Daughter I took note of some "monks" mentioned there. Is there a list of current and monks/scribes of times gone by somewhere?

If there is, I've never seen it, nor heard any mention of it. But, considering the level of detail Ed has dreamed up, I'm sure he can rattle off an impressive list.

Are you familiar with An Introduction to Candlekeep?
Zanan Posted - 21 May 2006 : 13:50:09
Alaundo Posted - 21 May 2006 : 11:50:05
quote:

I guess that means Big Al isn't our only old geezer around here...

::mutter, grumble::

Thank ye for the kind words, Wandering_mage, 'tis nice to know and although we do have a few problems occassionally, I think we're a reasonably nice bunch Welcome to the library.
Arivia Posted - 21 May 2006 : 05:11:29
quote:

I was 13 when I joined. I'm about as non-old geezery as you can get.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 May 2006 : 05:03:52
Arivia Posted - 21 May 2006 : 04:33:50
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

As am I and as do I .

Hehe... in fact, all scribes registered after Sep '02 are "new" scribes to me .

I'm less than a year younger than you.
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 04:31:33
As am I and as do I .

Hehe... in fact, all scribes registered after Sep '02 are "new" scribes to me .
Arivia Posted - 21 May 2006 : 04:27:01
quote:
I agree with both points.

And I think half of the people here followed Kuje from the WotC forums... I know I did.

Ha. I'm an old one --- I still think of you and Kuje as new scribes, in some ways.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 21 May 2006 : 03:52:43
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

The masters of lore and new scribes here at Candlekeep are infinitely more respectful and courteous in my opinion. Although starting out by using WotC forum can make you appreciate Candlekeep all the more.

I agree with both points.

And I think half of the people here followed Kuje from the WotC forums... I know I did.
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 02:56:45
quote:

The masters of lore and new scribes here at Candlekeep are infinitely more respectful and courteous in my opinion. Although starting out by using WotC forum can make you appreciate Candlekeep all the more.

Here at Candlekeep, it most certainly is.

Though, I wouldn't say the posters at WotC boards are completely without respect for fellow posters. Certainly, there are a handful who still appreciate lore-filled discussions and respect that some posters may have particular feelings about long-established elements of the Realms.
Kuje Posted - 21 May 2006 : 02:26:28
quote:

Although starting out by using WotC forum can make you appreciate Candlekeep all the more.

Isn't this the truth. :)
Wandering_mage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 02:21:28
KnightErrantJR Posted - 21 May 2006 : 02:14:37
I think I may have checked WOTC's boards twice in the last month, and ended up talking to one of my fellow scribes there . . . the boards I am about ready to give up on are Paizo's, since its becoming more and more difficult to have a Forgotten Realms discussion without Greyhawk . . . ahem . . . fanatics deciding to chime in with how everything in Forgotten Realms was stolen from Greyhawk.

The most frustrating of these assertions was the one that I mentioned in the "Slaves Lords" thread here at the keep, that Ed's Cult of the Dragon was somehow taken from the Slavers series of modules and transported to the Realms.

Then again, I've been a lot more touchy lately myself. I blame my ex-wife
The Sage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 02:05:14
Well, it was a frustrating development.

And it's a decision I'm getting ever closing to making as well. Recent arguments, again, about what truly constituted Ed's original Realms and the status of the "add-on" areas have been rather tiresome -- even in spite of the fact that Ed only recently discussed this in-depth back in April of this year.
Wandering_mage Posted - 21 May 2006 : 00:55:01
Yep. Although I do remember Sage said some very touching words when you announced that you would no longer be posting to WotC forums. He pretty much told every one that their child-like behavoir, or something to that extent, frustrated you to no end and so you left. It was a long time ago and I do no justice to the wonderful wording Sage used.
Kuje Posted - 20 May 2006 : 22:02:35
quote:

I have to admit that while posting on WotC's forum I noticed that a very helpful poster that helped educate many of the "interesting" posters on WotC's FR forum decided to leave. This got me to thinking. How the heck was I going to get good FR lore if all the knowledgeable people left the WotC forum? Well, after about a month of considering my options I found out that Candlekeep was full of information. You just have to know how to find what you want. So I explored and found the forum on Candlekeep. I looked at the stuff being talked about and immediately signed up when I realized that Kuje and Sage were registered to the forum. And with each time I post I find new people that I am thankful for their sharing of lore, experiences in gaming, and a joke or two here and there. Thank all of you for making Candlekeep rock!

Was that me that is in reference to your 1st sentence? :) And I'm glad to help and I try to do so whenever I can, even if some replies turn into arguements...
Wandering_mage Posted - 20 May 2006 : 21:48:00
I have to admit that while posting on WotC's forum I noticed that a very helpful poster that helped educate many of the "interesting" posters on WotC's FR forum decided to leave. This got me to thinking. How the heck was I going to get good FR lore if all the knowledgeable people left the WotC forum? Well, after about a month of considering my options I found out that Candlekeep was full of information. You just have to know how to find what you want. So I explored and found the forum on Candlekeep. I looked at the stuff being talked about and immediately signed up when I realized that Kuje and Sage were registered to the forum. And with each time I post I find new people that I am thankful for their sharing of lore, experiences in gaming, and a joke or two here and there. Thank all of you for making Candlekeep rock!
George Krashos Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 23:14:16
I can't recall what got me here. But I liked it and I stayed. It's nigh addictive now.

-- George Krashos
The Sage Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 02:35:06
Oh, I thought you were talking about... Nevermind . I think you know what I was actually referring to .
Kuje Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 01:58:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Grin,

Some of these replies make laugh and smile.

Hehe... I'm being polite by not also mentioning the chaos I've had to endure on the DLBoards at WotC .

That wasn't why I was smiling. :) I was because of all of the replies of "Kuje brought me here." :)
The Sage Posted - 13 Nov 2005 : 01:46:51
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Grin,

Hehe... I'm being polite by not also mentioning the chaos I've had to endure on the DLBoards at WotC .
Microchips Posted - 12 Nov 2005 : 21:26:27
Well if i remember i was doing a search for "Encyclopedia of Faerun" on google and the review of one that never happened came up on the original site, and then i noticed it had a forum so i thought it sounded good, turned out to be even better and iv learnt a load of new stuff off all the posts here

as for other forums iv never bothered as the only one iv heard of is WOTC and it gets less than complimentary reviews, to say the least!!
Kuje Posted - 12 Nov 2005 : 16:49:32
Grin,

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000