Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wizard, Wizardess or Wizardress?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Shayan Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 13:15:31
Personally I hate referring to female characters with the names of professions that are primarily associated to their male counter parts.
Sorcerer, and Wizard.

I know that female Sorcerers are called Sorceresses.

But what are female Wizards called? I've read in some FR book, they were referred to as "Wizardress". But this has been challenged... is it: "Wizardess" or "Wizardress" or just "Wizard" (I sure hope not!). The great ether library of Google has many texts on both... which some what adds to the confusion...
29   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 06 Nov 2005 : 03:22:08
Agreed--even the terms "man", "men", and "mankind" can in fact refer to either male or female humans. From dictionary.com...

man

1. An adult male human.
2. A human regardless of sex or age; a person.
Winterfox Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 23:59:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

No that does not work, human and humaness or perhaps male and maleness or man and maness *Grin*

No? Let's go for bitchess.

My point was that feminizing nouns that are gender-neutral's pointless and the comment was meant to be ironic.
Belthor Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 23:55:10
My Barbarian doesn't care what you call 'em, he just likes to bash 'em. He'd also be confused if you called him warrior or something of that ilk. He's not the brightest bulb in the box.
Kajehase Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 22:04:37
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

No that does not work, human and humaness or perhaps male and maleness or man and maness *Grin*

I think maleness has been taken for other purposes already
Kianna Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 20:47:46
Hottie and Hottiess?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 19:49:23
How about person and personess?
Kajehase Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 19:48:24
How about girlette?

And has anyone suggested wizardeuse yet?
Kentinal Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 19:14:28
Winterfox Posted - 05 Nov 2005 : 18:56:49
I vote that we start using the word "womaness".
Misericordia Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 16:13:58
Use italian, we've feminine for almost everything!

Wizard-Mago, Wizardess-Maga, and so on, with o for male and a for women!
Khaa Posted - 28 Oct 2005 : 14:42:03
I would go for wizardess.
Murray Leeder Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 20:55:23
For what it's worth, the word "sorceress" does appear in the Forgotten Realms Style Guide.
Darkheyr Posted - 24 Oct 2005 : 10:32:38
Well, it depends. The general populace or simply unknowing adventurers don't get the diff between a sorcerer and a wizard. However, one of my wizard PCs never gets tired of explaining said difference (yes, he has a dislike for sorcerers) and I think its not farfetched to assume that sages and wizards actually differ between the two.

On the other hand, my epic sorcerer/wizard does her best to blur those lines again.... :P
Beirnadri Magranth Posted - 23 Oct 2005 : 18:23:21
this is one of the problems with fantasy, word inflation.... since english has limited number of words describing these things (since they are uncommon, fantastic) we are stuck with the same words over and over again. in the real world sorcerer and wizard mean the same thing as does mage etc. and enchanter and necromancer mean the same as well... its only d&d that makes the difference. i only use the game terms wizard and sorcerer in out of character speech. Otherwise its best to interchange the words to keep their synonomous traditional meanings, which is what would happen in FR also. the terms wizard, sorceror cleric, etc. are all d&d jargon and shouldn't retain their limited meanings when in story telling.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:15:37
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Hey, RF, how about Wizardette? I think it's less awkward than Wizardess. Not very respectful, though!

C-Fb

*laughs* No... Again, it's rather awkward. There's nothing wrong with wizardette, or wizardess, it's just that it doesn't roll off the tongue nicely the way "wizard" does. I play NWN, and I feel the same way about the term "henchwoman" (henchman is a neutral term!).
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 22:40:43
Hey, RF, how about Wizardette? I think it's less awkward than Wizardess. Not very respectful, though!

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 20:11:24
I've read "wizardess" before in published fiction, but to me it sounds more awkward than cute.

"Witch" I do like though.

quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Especially Barbarian. To me that is a condescending term describing a primitive type of people.

That's a good point!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 17:23:53
quote:
Originally posted by Shayan

I of course do not try to feminize terms classes such as Barbarians, or fighters etc. I do use "sorceress" and "priestess" or "witch" and will continue to do so. The kind of characters I play, use formal titles when addressing other characters as much as possible. IE: "Greetings lady sorceress."

I KNOW I've read "wizardress" in either: 'The Best of the Realms' or 'Daughter of the Drow'. It is unlikely in the latter, so it must be in the former... if only my friend will return it, I can seek and comfirm it >.<

Thank you all for your input.

I'm sure it has appeared in print... And I know the term "she-mage" has appeared in print, too. Still, other than sorceress or priestess, I'd assume all class names to be gender-neutral (with obvious exceptions for gender-specific PrCs).
Shayan Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 15:01:20
I of course do not try to feminize terms classes such as Barbarians, or fighters etc. I do use "sorceress" and "priestess" or "witch" and will continue to do so. The kind of characters I play, use formal titles when addressing other characters as much as possible. IE: "Greetings lady sorceress."

I KNOW I've read "wizardress" in either: 'The Best of the Realms' or 'Daughter of the Drow'. It is unlikely in the latter, so it must be in the former... if only my friend will return it, I can seek and comfirm it >.<

Thank you all for your input.
Chosen of Bane Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 03:23:33
I have no beef with the term Wizardess. However, I agree with CrennenFaerieBane, I try not to use the players class in game to describe them.

Especially Barbarian. To me that is a condescending term describing a primitive type of people. In game my barbarians refer to themselves as warriors, soldiers, mercenaries, or berzerkers depending on what they do for a living.

Fighter sounds lame too, in game all my fighters go by warrior as well. They can also go by Archer, Swordsman, or whatever else describes their trade.

Clerics go by Acolytes, Priests, etc...

Sorcerer and Wizard are used interchangably in my games and mage is also thrown in to describe both.

Anybody who takes things that aren't theirs whether by stealth (rogue), force (fighter), or magic (wizard) is a thief in my games. You don't need a high dex and tons of skill points to be a thief.

Just how I run it in my games, but on the gender thing... I'll use priestess or witch but that's about it for female only terms. Although I don't think Wizardess sounds bad, I don't tend to use it.
Dargoth Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 02:42:31
You could always use the old 1ed PHB which had titles for every class and level.

Eric Boyd took this one step further in F&P, P&P DhD and gave a title for each cleric level which differed depending on which god they followed
Kianna Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 02:31:05
Wizardette?

Sounds French!

Or something that removes hair...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 02:30:13
Actually, I would prefer, instead of -ess, more of a cute sounding class name like:

Rangerette
Roguette
Barbariette

Those are cool.

C-Fb

P.s. - that was a joke.
Kuje Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 02:29:05
quote:
Originally posted by Kianna

I use wizardess and see nothing wrong with it. I think its cute.

Basically I think the majority of classes though are unisex sounding enough as it is.

So do I on both points. :)
Kianna Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 02:26:03
I use wizardess and see nothing wrong with it. I think its cute.

Basically I think the majority of classes though are unisex sounding enough as it is.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 21:58:32
I agree, and I agree with SKR, although he seemed to have neglected the term "priestess", which is commonly used in fantasy worlds (and in the real world, too).

But I don't think it's necessary or even desirable to feminize class names. Let's face it, some of them just plain sound stupid:

"Wizardess" or "Wizardress"
"weretigress"
"rangeress"
"fighteress"
"clericess"

Yuck!
Wooly Rupert Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 17:21:46
I had a friend that insisted on feminizing words for female characters... Seeing words like "weretigress", "rangeress", and "wizardess" were very jarring for me, and I hounded him about that until he stopped doing it.

Personally, I don't see that class names are gender-specific... But I suppose an alternative to feminizing a word would be to create an all-female order, and let the character be part of that order... Kinda like Rashemen's Witches.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 15:28:23
I usually try to avoid referring to a person's actual class in my games (i.e. Clerics become priest, pontiff, crusader, etc.).

I think that when you have people in the world know you by class it gets kind of Everquestish, which to me, is a very bad thing.

C-Fb
Kentinal Posted - 17 Oct 2005 : 13:57:29
Well I hit two online dictionaries and niether has Wizardress nor Wizardess. One indicated Wizards were only males the other was gender silent.

Sean K Reynolds at http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/rants/terminology.html offers this comment
quote:
Other mini-rants about terminology:

Don't use the term "sorcery" to describe arcane magic. Officially, "sorcery" doesn't have a meaning in D&D. Informally, I use "sorcery" to mean "magic that originates from people of the sorcerer class" (and, equally informally, I use "wizardry" to mean "magic that originates from people of the wizard class"). The official generic term for "stuff having to do with arcane magic" is "arcane."

"Sorcerer" is a class name. Don't use it to mean "a person who can cast arcane spells." It means "a person of the sorcerer class." You wouldn't use the term "cleric" to describe any divine spellcaster, so don't use "sorcerer" (or, for that matter, "wizard") to describe any arcane spellcaster. The generic term for "arcane spellcaster" is "arcane spellcaster" or "mage."

Don't use the word "sorceress" to mean "a female person of the sorcerer class." You don't say "wizardess," "fighteress," "clericess," "druidess," or any other feminine forms of class names, nor do you feminize racial names ("elfess," "halflingess," "dwarfess," and so on). It's best to just not use the word "sorceress" at all. "

You are free to do as you wish.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000