Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Red Flags

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Chosen of Bane Posted - 04 Nov 2005 : 05:43:02
I noticed when I'm browsing on the WOTC boards that there are some posts I refuse to even look at just by their subject. I was wondering what are some red flags for my fellow scribes that just make you avoid at all costs. I decided to make this a poll because I thought it would be fun.

* No offense intended to anybody who has in the past or who still does enjoy posting topics that are noted here as Red Flags, it is simply my opinion which doesn't mean much.

** Please nobody take this thread to seriously, it's more of a light hearted (I know, weird coming from a chosen of Bane) thread meant more for my enjoyment/humor than to invoke thought provoking discussion. The last thing I would like to see is a debate over this nonsense.

Here are the 5 Red Flag Subjects that I avoid at all costs...

Please vote if you agree with any. If you agree with anyone more than the others, choose that one.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jorkens Posted - 30 May 2008 : 20:30:52
Well, I don't, but I will always make clear if it is canon, speculations around the same or pure personal lore. This seems to be the common practise.
The Sage Posted - 30 May 2008 : 01:49:40
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

But it's only details. I have to admit thaht indeed, most of those adventures stay within canon universe.
I just want to be sure I read official data.
Well, that shouldn't be a problem then, since most scribes tend to conform to the official lore more often than not.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 30 May 2008 : 01:23:04
quote:
obnoxious ? a moment please...
*an English-French dictionary use later*
Oh yes ! Of course Miss !
Those threads (Those / These ) are simply stupid !
They are threads for... euh... we say "Gros-Bill" in French : "The brains of the canary and the fire power of the nuclear aircraft carrier"

Indeed.

quote:
You know, those PC who have all the possible (or not) artefacts, all the weapons, all the scrolls, all the spells, who hunt experience, want to be the most powerful PC of the world !
Those who play for numbers and not to live their character...
How could I say it in English ?

Hmm, how about "Roll-player?" I'll admit, the first word that popped into my head was "powergamer". But then someone is bound to come by and say, "NOOOOOOO! It's possible to roleplay and powergame, I've done it lots of times", and I don't want to spark that debate.
Fillow Posted - 29 May 2008 : 20:04:42
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I think it's fun to see how other people use the setting. Canon or not, the threads in the gaming forums aren't as obnoxious as stuff like "Elminster and Drizzt, who would win?"

obnoxious ? a moment please...
*an English-French dictionary use later*
Oh yes ! Of course Miss !
Those threads (Those / These ) are simply stupid !
They are threads for... euh... we say "Gros-Bill" in French : "The brains of the canary and the fire power of the nuclear aircraft carrier"
You know, those PC who have all the possible (or not) artefacts, all the weapons, all the scrolls, all the spells, who hunt experience, want to be the most powerful PC of the world !
Those who play for numbers and not to live their character...
How could I say it in English ?
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 29 May 2008 : 15:47:18
I think it's fun to see how other people use the setting. Canon or not, the threads in the gaming forums aren't as obnoxious as stuff like "Elminster and Drizzt, who would win?"
Fillow Posted - 29 May 2008 : 12:07:17
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

we can usually expect that most of what is discussed on these shelves relates to official [and canon] Realmslore.

I agree Sage, but as you write, we CAN EXPECT that MOST OF...
But it's only details. I have to admit thaht indeed, most of those adventures stay within canon universe.
I just want to be sure I read official data.
Jorkens Posted - 29 May 2008 : 11:49:05
quote:

My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

I just avoid these topics as I avoid the Running the Realms and Adventuring topics in CK because the lore we find there are not canon.
Simply !

A lore question could just as easily come up on these forums, but most often they are tied to the gaming side of the Realms.
The Sage Posted - 29 May 2008 : 01:43:07
quote:

I just avoid these topics as I avoid the Running the Realms and Adventuring topics in CK because the lore we find there are not canon.
Not necessarily. Unless the scribe has specifically noted a deviation from accepted canon in what he/she has posted, we can usually expect that most of what is discussed on these shelves relates to official [and canon] Realmslore.
Fillow Posted - 28 May 2008 : 20:01:20
My (Insanely Overpowered) Version of [insert Iconic character]

Simply !
GRYPHON Posted - 26 May 2008 : 14:39:43
All Things Drizzt...
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 23 May 2008 : 11:14:27
How to Kill Elminster.... (could be any chosen)
The Sage Posted - 07 Jul 2006 : 10:41:48
Greetings Zimme, and welcome to Candlekeep.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 11:07:57
quote:
Originally posted by Zimme

Oh by the way: greetings and well met all, this is my first posting! =)

Welcome to Candlekeep!
Ergdusch Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 11:00:14
Well, well, than a most warm and friendly welcome to you Zimme!
May Our Lady of the Forest smile upon thee and may the great Lord of Knowlegde and Binder of what is known always grant thou His blessings.

Ergdusch
Zimme Posted - 29 Jun 2006 : 10:07:24
Well i voted the kill elle thing, and campains where char plan to TRY to kill the greybeard, is mainly because the dm makes him an awailable target. Oh by the way: greetings and well met all, this is my first posting! =)
Wandering_mage Posted - 28 Jun 2006 : 16:04:43
I would weep furiously the day Eliminster died. Furiously I say! I think Ed Greenwood says it best (sadly can't recall the proper quote but I remember he spoke on the subject many a time). It is ridiculous to game constantly with the sole purpose to eventually kill Eliminster, unless of course you are a Zhent, Red Wizard, Maulagrym, Shar worshipper, and etc (long list of enemies insert here). Still ridiculous though. Eliminster caringly keeps Faerun together at the stitches. Why kill him? It is immature and foolhardy.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 22:54:05
quote:
Originally posted by Chyron

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?

It's silly to argue which one is better, IMO, but those threads can be quite interesting to see what it is that draws people to certain settings.
Chyron Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 07:42:11
quote:
Originally posted by Vangelor

quote:
Originally posted by Slime Lord

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.

Aye...and it tis a shame that WOTC got it in to their heads to remove those notions with the 3.X cosmology

Personally I hate threads that start out like: Realms VS. XXX Campaign - Which one is better?
Mazrim_Taim Posted - 27 Jun 2006 : 05:59:45
For me, it is any "Who is the most powerful" type of thread.
GothicDan Posted - 26 Jun 2006 : 20:47:18
I hate them all, and vote that anyone who posts such topics should be burned at the stake.

Twice.
Torkael Posted - 26 Jun 2006 : 20:15:02
I voted Drizzt. It gets really annoying real fast when you know fans of his in real life. Drizzt this, Drizzt dat, Drizzt zzz-ing on a drizzly day...

It's bad enough seeing people misspell the name, but hearing the mispronunciations gets the ears bleeding and gets you showered with spitzzzz.
Ergdusch Posted - 26 Jun 2006 : 14:28:37
FR vs. real world - what a waste of words, really! My opinion...

Ergdusch
Darkheyr Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 09:25:24
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I don't think fantasy should ever cross into the real world - kind of makes it seem a bit weird. And let's face it, if anyone caught wind of people with supernatural power on this planet, they'd be locked down immediately - unless you wanted to make an X-files episode of it or something..

C-Fb

I'm trying to imagine some sort of technologically-possible lockdown for Elminster or my own epic spellcaster character, but I really fail to see how that would be possible with silent still greater teleport and contingency: teleport spells available :D
Vangelor Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 09:22:34
quote:

We *truely* don't know do we? We truely can't say another realm of existance isn't out there with a Mystra and Chosen, a Araunshee and drow.

Plato argues quite convincingly that there is a world out there with Mystra & Friends, necessarily, because we can have a conversation about them, or more accurately because we share the idea. Don't they teach Metaphysics in school these days?

The Forgotten Realms setting was built on the notion of gates between worlds (and our own, amongst them) before there was a D&D to play in it, or so sayeth Ed.
Vangelor Posted - 29 Nov 2005 : 09:15:19
quote:

My votes for the Drizzt section.

Mine, too. I think I'm developing a nervous tic when I see too may D's and Z's and T's close to each other.

quote:
Trying to Kill Elminster threads are a hoot compared to "OMG!!1!!11 DWIZTT WAH RULES!!!!! I WANNA CARRY HE BABEEE!" threads.

Least you can often hear about how Elminster is a dirty old man ;) LOL

...And we'll still be hearing about Drizzt when he is a dirty old man...
jebeddo Posted - 26 Nov 2005 : 06:26:46
Definitely the ¡°How to Kill El¡± threads, methinks. For me (and perhaps a great many others as well), Elminster is the face of the Realms. It was El that told the countless tales of the Realms, rather than being an uber-powerful figure in the Realms (such as The Simbul), El comes across as more of the storyteller of the Realms. I can¡¯t see how even overly ambitious players such as those can bear to kill the one thing that is constant in their world. Furthermore, the munchkin characters and the motive of the players that play them irk me beyond measure (if I ever hear another mentioning of ¡°My 100th level mage with 1000d6 damage-dealing epic spells¡±¡­ *shudders*).
Reefy Posted - 25 Nov 2005 : 11:02:55
Of all of them, I'd steer most clear of a 'How to kill El (et al)' thread. That, however, does not say much about the rest of the topics.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Nov 2005 : 03:54:13
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

I personally tire of the "Is Cormyr Camelot?" threads.

And frankly, I don't get why Cormyr is so often compared with Camelot to begin with. I really don't see that much of a resemblance.
Kianna Posted - 18 Nov 2005 : 02:10:11
I agree with Winterfox...poor late husband.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 17 Nov 2005 : 20:00:21
Well, I think I am going to stick with this fact called, uhm, science for a bit. Don't get me wrong, I love the characters - but that was almost an Anne Rice notion, as was mentioned above.

C-Fb

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000