Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 The Candlekeep Magic Shop

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Sage Posted - 28 Apr 2003 : 13:03:11
You cautiously approach the old ramshackle magic-shop at the end of the alley. Looking around you notice that the shop itself is kept in perpetual darkness thanks to the shadows cast by the large number of other taller buildings surrounding the shop. Looking down at the scrap of parchment in your right hand you again read the directions scribbled down by the partially-drunk blacksmith you consulted, for the location of the old magic shop.

"Down the main alley, it 'tis, look for the shop that sits in shadows", you read, as you repeat the directions again mentally making sure that you have found the right place and not been lead astray by an old-drunks' foolish and unreliable memories.

You crumple up the scrap of parchment and once again look up at the shop. There appears to be no candles or laterns lit to indicate that the shopkeeper is inside, but you have the strange feeling of some sort of presence that seems to be emanating from the premises. However at this early hour of the evening it seems unlikely that the owner would be inside.

Still you step up to the main shop door and, as if by magic, the door opens allowing you entry. Looking inside you see that the shop is much larger than it appears from the outside.

"What type of strange magic is this", you think as you continue on past the threshold and into the main shop itself.

You are startled as a small hunched-over goblin approaches you from the left of the store. Quickly reaching for your weapon, you then pause as you realise the goblin's aged appearance. Concluding that this poor creature would not be much of a threat, you regain your composure as the goblin begins to speak, slowly looking you over.

"Greetings to you", the goblin says in what seems to be perfectly articulated Common.

You watch as his yellow eyes slowly pass over your well-proportioned frame.

"My name is Grel, and I am the proprietor of this fine establishment. We offer much in the way of magical services, from quills and parchment to spells and magical items". You smile without realising it as the goblin mentions your main intention for being here.

"It is magical items you seek, then, well come with me, we have much to offer...", he says as he limps off towards the backwards area of the store, he then stops, turning around to meet your gaze.

"...for the right price of course". He laughs bitterly as he continues on his way. Unsure of what to expect, you follow anyway, excitement beaming on your face at the anticipation of what you will soon find.

Greetings,

The main purpose of this post is to establish a thread where I will post some of my homebrew designed magical items for the FR campaigns that I run. Included in the inventory for this "shop" will be spells, magical items, wands, and the all important - wizards' staff.

I encourage all types of feedback, both postive and negative, comments, criticisms, and suggestions for improvement.

So let's begin...

25   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Delnyn Posted - 01 Jan 2021 : 20:22:07

Here is the last Gargauth-related spell taken from Powers and Pantheons, page 26. Unlike the other spells posted, Gargauth only grants this spell to his own clerics and does not receive the screwjob descriptor. The unwilling recipient of this spell will beg to differ with me.

Spiritual Corruption

Enchantment (Compulsion) [Evil, Lawful, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Clr 8
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting Time: 1 round
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target: One non-evil living creature
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: Will negates (see below)
Spell Resistance: Yes

Spiritual corruption is an insidious enchant that weakens the conscience of its victim. The effects of this spell may only be prematurely ended by magic at least as powerful as limited wish, an artifact or divine intervention. Dispel magic, break enchantment or similar spells will not work. The spell has no effect on constructs, elementals, undead or any evil creature.

The target of the spell receives an initial saving throw to resist the effects entirely if spell resistance fails to stop the spell. Good creatures have a +4 circumstance bonus to the initial saving throw. Neutral creatures with respect to evil and good receive neither bonus nor penalty. The DM secretly rolls the save for non-outsiders, however, and the target is not necessarily aware he or she was ever targeted by spiritual corruption. Furthermore, the saving throw is not rolled immediately after the casting.

In the case of outsiders, however, saving throws are done immediately after the spell is cast. This alerts the victim of potentially hostile effects, whether the save succeeds or not. They may then take action to have the effect removed before the first temptation happens the next day. Native outsiders will know if they failed a save or not, if spell resistance failed or not, but not the nature of the effect. Extraplanar outsiders will recognize the spiritual corruption effect and how to remove the effect whether or not the save succeeded or failed. Gargauth does not tell his clerics about the exception with outsiders. They either learn through diligent investigative research (preferred) or through bitter-and fatal!- experience.

Within one day of the spell being cast, spiritual corruption tempts the victim with a minor moral dilemma of the DMís making. If the saving throw fails, the victim takes the morally suspect route. There is nothing to stop the victim from voluntarily failing the saving throw if he or she learns about the spellís effect.

If the saving throw failed on the first day, the victim will face a slightly more significant moral dilemma the following day, and the next saving throw will have a -1 penalty. If the saving throw succeeds, the victim will face a less severe moral challenge the following day with a saving throw at no penalty. If the saving throw fails, the victim will face a more severe moral challenge the following day and the next saving throw will have a -2 penalty.

This series of daily temptations fluctuates in terms of severity and penalty indefinitely until the victim makes a saving throw at no penalty or fails a saving throw at a -7 penalty. If the victim saves at no penalty, spiritual corruption ends, but the victim must still deal with the consequences of his or her immoral actions. An atonement spell with a quest assigned by casting cleric and restitution to wronged parties may be in order. If the victim fails the save at a -7 penalty, the spell ends but the victimís alignment permanently shifts to evil. The chaotic, lawful or neutral component of alignment remains the same. The victim also feels strongly drawn to the worship of Gargauth.

If using the corruption rules in Fiendish Codex II, the victim receives a number of corruption points equal to half the save penalty (rounded down) for each action compelled from a failed save.

The material component of this spell is an unblessed broken horn manifested by Gargauth.
PattPlays Posted - 22 Dec 2020 : 03:27:41
Here's something I stuck in a Netherese arcanist's tomb, thanks to 3rd edition's Fiend Folio.

Jar of Shadow Asps Wonderous, Rare, Possible to be attuned with.
This is a heavily modified and enchanted snake-charmer's jug with general proportions similar to an Alchemy Jug. It has a finely crafted metal plug that forms a releasable airtight seal on the top of the item. It exudes Conjuration and Shadow magic. The inside of the jug is always cloaked in darkness.

You can use an action to open this jug. When this jug is opened, a Giant Poisonous Snake emerges and attacks the nearest creature not attuned to the object. This snake has a striking black and gray color scheme and the poison it delivers deals strength damage. When this snake reaches zero hit points, it dissolves to ash. A Shadow is summoned immediately following this and it attempts to hide and attack creatures when as soon as the situation allows for an ambush, if it can flee the current combat. A new snake appears inside the jug in 24 hours or at the next day's dusk hour, as long as the lid is closed and sealed shut. A creature attuned to the object can use a bonus action to control the snake, which is non-hostile to them. The shadow released after the snake dies is always hostile and does not know or care who is attuned to the object.

Just a fun little thing.
PattPlays Posted - 22 Dec 2020 : 02:58:48
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Senior Scribe Delnyn,

You should consider posting a listing of all your Gargauth information in one post somewhere. I know you've done quite a bit of research on that! :)

Best regards,

I posted in the Questions for Ed Greenwood thread about Gormauth Souldrinker. Until I hear more on that topic, I don't have anything. I even emailed a user here about it all and they made it clear that I wasn't asking anything specific enough of them. If I can't talk theory without sounding incomprehensible and unhelpful, then I'll just bite my tongue on that topic until I get more information.
City of Splendors just rocks my world with this throwaway Gormauth Souldrinker stuff..

EDIT: Wait- ohh... I asked Ed about the Pit of Jhaam and Ghaunadaur's Garden.

Yeah, I have to ask someone oh the old school development team about Gormauth Souldrinker. Uhg! Too much to juggle. No wonder I can't arrange a theory that makes sense. In City of Splendor there is an old shrine claiming to be an old alias of Gargauth, but it's a title that has belonged to Ghaunadaur (with no info given) since 2e. My Gargauth collection is.. far too spotty to compile yet.
cpthero2 Posted - 21 Dec 2020 : 19:53:04
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

You should consider posting a listing of all your Gargauth information in one post somewhere. I know you've done quite a bit of research on that! :)

Best regards,

PattPlays Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 22:17:47
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

Part Plays,
Going by Descent Into Avernus, I would presume Call Upon Gargauth would not work as usual. Instead, I would recommend telepathic messages being sent from Gargauth to go to some place and await further instructions.

Thanks for the response, though I think there is some deeper lore with the Pit of Gargauth on this. It appeared to me in my various Gargauth research here and in old tomes (still seeking Gormauth Souldrinker lore!) that both Shield Gargauth and a physical Gargauth have existed simultaneously, with one Gargauth being seen flying northward to cause a mess while the Shield's backstory is almost completely fan theory and conjecture. There is very little in the way of clear distinction between the two sides of his being. In the same edition you will have these divine calling spells and have well established lore about the grand cults of the Hidden Lord, repeatedly said to be Gargauth from inside the shield. I haven't' seen anyone able to clear this up, it's been all theory as to how he's in two places at once. Many people cite stories about his Pit beneath a certain city in the heartlands.
Delnyn Posted - 20 Dec 2020 : 17:43:06
Part Plays,
Going by Descent Into Avernus, I would presume Call Upon Gargauth would not work as usual. Instead, I would recommend telepathic messages being sent from Gargauth to go to some place and await further instructions.
PattPlays Posted - 18 Dec 2020 : 10:46:55
I open up this thread randomly and I am immediately met by Gargauth content.

My web of mysteries pulls me back in.. it is unavoidable..

I actually found Astaroth's spell in that one magazine article and found it fascinating. I plan to include it and one of Gargauth's spells from P&P in my campaign somewhere. I wonder what would happen if someone cast Call Upon Gargauth in the Present Age.. I still am dumbfounded as to how I should interpret these spells when the Shield of the Hidden Lord is still a thing.

Senior Scribe Delnyn, "Making this a 5th or 6th level spell is totally fine with me. I used 3rd level because that was the level used in the sourcebook. For caveats, where you thinking about restrictions on acceptable sentient beings to sacrifice - such as children or a paladin?That said, keeping the spell level somewhat lower than expected as a way to spread the spell among a larger pool. Think of Gargauth as the drug pusher who gives a super cheap first fix to get you hooked."

I honestly love it as a third level spell. Nothing makes your players double-take more than something being exceedingly overpowered on the surface. One would hope it could make them suspicious. This stat boosting spell is the one I was talking about earlier in this post. I just love that, with Baldur's Gate Descent Into Avernus out for 5e D&D, we have hooks for using and abusing these classic spells in a way that can direct a party unwittingly into a whole different campaign module's territory. Still wondering about Gormauth Souldrinker..
Delnyn Posted - 18 Dec 2020 : 00:43:29
Reader cpthero2,
Gargauth deliberately witholds much critical information about his granted spells, even from his own clerics. To others who approach a Gargauthan agent hoping to acquire some benefits, caveat emptor!

quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Senior Scribe Delnyn,

I really like the hidden CHA drain. That is quite cool. Adds that awesome element of mystery to the magic behind it all. Very nice!

Best regards,

cpthero2 Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 06:34:32
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

I really like the hidden CHA drain. That is quite cool. Adds that awesome element of mystery to the magic behind it all. Very nice!

Best regards,

Delnyn Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 01:03:14
Here is another Gargauth-related spell taken from Powers and Pantheons, page 26. Like Astaroth's Augmentation, Gargauth grants this spell to clerics of other faiths. Why in the Nine Hells anyone, especially a cleric of another deity, would want to get Gargauth's attention is a great question.

Call Upon Gargauth

Conjuration (Calling) [Evil,Lawful, Royal Screwjob]
Level: Clr 9
Components: V,S,M, DF
Casting Time: 1 hour
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Special
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

Call Upon Gargauth enables the caster to contact Gargauth, whether he is on Toril, elsewhere in Realmspace or in the Outer Planes. The spell also establishes a link between Gargauth and the caster that extends across planes, through antimagic fields, dead magic or wild magic zones and even effects as powerful as mind blank. Gargauth may scry on the caster at will, read thoughts and automatically succeed on Sense Motive checks. While the spell is in effect, the caster emanates an aura of law and evil as if an outsider of the caster's character level. The caster will be unable to detect either the (one-way!!) scrying link or the aura by his or her own efforts.

Gargauth may answer the call if he sees fit. He is not under any compulsion, although he may try to trick the caster into believing otherwise. If using the rules from Fiendish Codex II, any non-evil spellcaster immediately gains two corruption points just for casting this spell. Keep in mind Gargauth is exceptionally crafty when making deals, even by archdevil standards.

The material component of this spell is an unblessed broken horn manifested by Gargauth. The divine focus of a god other than Gargauth is consumed as any other material component.
Delnyn Posted - 15 Dec 2020 : 00:20:19
Here is another Gargauth-related spell taken from Powers and Pantheons, page 26. Like Astaroth's Augmentation, Gargauth grants this spell to clerics of other faiths. Whether such people are pleased with the final outcome is of course a different story.

Mask of Gargauth

Transmutation [Evil,Lawful, Screwjob]
Level: Clr 4
Components: V,S,M, DF
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: You (or one willing recipient; see below)
Duration: 1 day/level

This spell works as an alter self spell, except with a much longer duration. Unbeknownst to the caster, the spell causes 1 point of Charisma drain for every three days the spell is in operation. Mask of Gargauth hides the Charisma drain until the spell ends, whether by will of the recipient or involuntarily. However, the original Charisma score still applies when interacting with servants of Gargauth or Gargauth himself.

The caster must wait at least three days after Mask of Gargauth ends before casting the spell again. For each day the caster does not wait, the recasting inflicts 1 point of Charisma drain. This drain is cumulative with any Charisma drain that occurs with a spell lasting longer than three days, and is cloaked by the recast spell until it expires. The caster does not necessarily know about this detail except through bitter experience or through diligent research.

The spell also establishes a link between Gargauth and the caster that extends across planes, through antimagic fields, dead magic or wild magic zones and even effects as powerful as mind blank. Gargauth may scry on the caster at will, read thoughts and automatically succeed on Sense Motive checks. While the spell is in effect, the caster emanates an aura of law and evil as if an outsider of the caster's character level. The caster will be unable to detect either the (one-way!!) scrying link or the aura by his or her own efforts.

If the person under the spell's effect performs an action that Gargauth deems offensive, Gargauth will forcibly terminate the spell, inflicting potential Charisma drain and a bestow curse that also targets Charisma. If the caster's Charisma reaches 0, he or she immediately transforms into a lemure and his or her possessions are randomly teleported throughout Faerun. A cleric of Gargauth may cast this spell on behalf of a willing recipient. In this case, the recipient, not the caster, faces the risks of Charisma drain.

The material component of this spell is an unblessed broken horn manifested by Gargauth. The divine focus is necessary only if a cleric of Gargauth is casting the spell on behalf of another.
cpthero2 Posted - 06 Nov 2020 : 07:16:18
Acolyte Manuel.Hawkins,

quote:
This reminds me of the ancient legends of the Greeks. See here:
https://dragon-vibe.com/blogs/dragon-blog/dragons-in-greek-mythology

That (100) headed dragon was awesome, and hilarious to behold. Some confusing date nights for sure! lol

Best regards,

Manuel.Hawkins Posted - 05 Nov 2020 : 13:57:46
This reminds me of the ancient legends of the Greeks. See here:
https://dragon-vibe.com/blogs/dragon-blog/dragons-in-greek-mythology
cpthero2 Posted - 27 Oct 2020 : 04:09:03
Senior Scribe Delnyn,

I really like this. The thing that makes this so powerful is the significant roleplay opportunities with this spell.

quote:
In return for the bonus, the caster must corrupt a person of power or sacrifice a sentient being every three months. Much like other Faustian pacts, the augmentation prohibits the caster from disclosing the existence of the obligations to unauthorized personnel unless Gargauth explicits says otherwise. The terms also prohibit the caster from being raised, reincarnated or resurrected from the dead. These restrictions are intended to prevent meddlesome clerics and paladins from trying to redeem the caster's soul.

Man, this really is a huge price to pay. The kinds of intrigue you could pull off with this, are amazing. The jilted lover who just needs to be a little stronger, charming, smarter, etc., making this Faustian deal to get the love of his life, and now is a possible murder-for-hire in the Court, or somewhere else of significance. Very cool man. I love this. I am totally stealing this for my campaigns! ;)

Best regards,

Delnyn Posted - 12 Apr 2020 : 05:59:37
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I was thinking more of a thing where they had to periodically do other things to push Gargauth's agenda, and/or refrain from certain activities that run counter to his interests.

Again, I'm not a rules person, but it just seems to be that permanently boosting an ability score, for an infrequent thing you're prolly inclined to do anyway, seems kinda powerful. And yeah, I get that it's not permanent in that it can be revoked -- but with the relatively low maintenance cost, it can conceivably be maintained for years, even decades. A boost that can last literally the rest of your life is close enough to permanent that I'm calling it that.

However, given that it's canon as a 3rd level spell, I'll quibble no further. That seems powerful to me, but it was written that way by someone much more experienced in all things gaming.

Don't worry. This spell should be thought of as an elaborate Faustian pact some mortal negotiates with a baatezu. Such pacts typically have restrictions against disclosing the existence of the pact to unauthorized parties-especially clerics and paladins. They also have prohibitions against raises and resurrections. Another nasty part of these pacts is once the mortal fulfills his or her end of the pact, the baatezu engineers the port mortal's demise....unless the mortal has proven his or her usefulness to advance diabolic interests.

I can put these details in the spell description. Think of the caster as volunteering to a no-save geas/quest imposed by Gargauth. Another point I will mention is that corruption points incurred from just casting the spell do not account for corruption points incurred from fulfilling the requirements, such as murder or gratuitous torture. The rough rule of thumb as mentioned in The Fiendish Codex II is a mortal is truly damned once he or she gets 9 corruption points, for any reason relevant or not relevant to the spell-induced pact.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 12 Apr 2020 : 05:40:14
quote:
Originally posted by Delnyn

quote:

Again, not a rules person... But 3rd level for a permanent ability boost? That seems low, to me, even with the required sacrifices.

Personally, I think I'd make it 5th or 6th, and add some more caveats about having to stick with Gargauth's goals. Maybe the sacrifice and something akin to a paladin's alignment restrictions -- not as stringent, of course, but something like that as an inspiration.

Making this a 5th or 6th level spell is totally fine with me. I used 3rd level because that was the level used in the sourcebook. For caveats, where you thinking about restrictions on acceptable sentient beings to sacrifice - such as children or a paladin?

That said, keeping the spell level somewhat lower than expected as a way to spread the spell among a larger pool. Think of Gargauth as the drug pusher who gives a super cheap first fix to get you hooked.

I was thinking more of a thing where they had to periodically do other things to push Gargauth's agenda, and/or refrain from certain activities that run counter to his interests.

Again, I'm not a rules person, but it just seems to be that permanently boosting an ability score, for an infrequent thing you're prolly inclined to do anyway, seems kinda powerful. And yeah, I get that it's not permanent in that it can be revoked -- but with the relatively low maintenance cost, it can conceivably be maintained for years, even decades. A boost that can last literally the rest of your life is close enough to permanent that I'm calling it that.

However, given that it's canon as a 3rd level spell, I'll quibble no further. That seems powerful to me, but it was written that way by someone much more experienced in all things gaming.
Delnyn Posted - 12 Apr 2020 : 05:15:47
quote:

Again, not a rules person... But 3rd level for a permanent ability boost? That seems low, to me, even with the required sacrifices.

Personally, I think I'd make it 5th or 6th, and add some more caveats about having to stick with Gargauth's goals. Maybe the sacrifice and something akin to a paladin's alignment restrictions -- not as stringent, of course, but something like that as an inspiration.

Making this a 5th or 6th level spell is totally fine with me. I used 3rd level because that was the level used in the sourcebook. For caveats, where you thinking about restrictions on acceptable sentient beings to sacrifice - such as children or a paladin?

That said, keeping the spell level somewhat lower than expected as a way to spread the spell among a larger pool. Think of Gargauth as the drug pusher who gives a super cheap first fix to get you hooked.
Kentinal Posted - 11 Apr 2020 : 19:42:18
quote:

It is a trap, the deity (Gargauth) is providing level adjustment. The spell level should be higher if it was not a trap. The boost of course is not permanent however could last for years.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 11 Apr 2020 : 18:23:39

Delnyn Posted - 11 Apr 2020 : 17:34:06
The next spell was inspired by a Gargauth-granted spell in Powers & Pantheons, pages 25-26.

EDIT: I reduced the level of the spell from 5 to 4, added a joke descriptor "Screwjob", and inserted some additional wording about benefits and costs of the spell. The spell lowering was to reflect Gargauth wanting the spell to be more available, but also reflect the 2e to 3e maximum cleric spell level jumping from 7 to 9.

EDIT 2: I added verbiage about the consequences of someone trying the raise/reincarnate/resurrection stunt. At the bottom are rules about corrupting and sacrificing people of power. At the bottom is a note about the rewards of stopping Elminster.

Astaroth's Augmentation

Transmutation [Evil,Lawful, Screwjob]
Level: Clr 4
Components: V,S,M
Casting Time: 1 minute
Target: You (or one willing recipient; see below)
Duration: Permanent

This spell allows the caster to call upon Gargauth's power to permanently increase his or her abilities. Gargauth extracts a dear price for this boon. Woe to the caster who fails to fulfill or deliberately circumvent the bargain.

Astaroth's Augmentation gives the caster a +1 inherent bonus to any ability score of choice, which is permanent as long as the caster abides by Gargauth's terms. In return for the bonus, the caster must corrupt a person of power or sacrifice a sentient being every three months. Much like other Faustian pacts, the augmentation prohibits the caster from disclosing the existence of the obligations to unauthorized personnel unless Gargauth explicits says otherwise. The terms also prohibit the caster from being raised, reincarnated or resurrected from the dead. These restrictions are intended to prevent meddlesome clerics and paladins from trying to redeem the caster's soul.

The spell also establishes a link between Gargauth and the caster that extends across planes, through antimagic fields, dead magic or wild magic zones and even effects as powerful as mind blank. Gargauth may scry on the caster at will, read thoughts and automatically succeed on Sense Motive checks. While the spell is in effect, the caster emanates an aura of law and evil as if an outsider of the caster's character level. The caster will be unable to detect either the (one-way!!) scrying link or the aura by his or her own efforts.

If the caster fails to carry out the obligations or attempts to circumvent the prohibitions for any reason, he or she suffers 3 points of ability drain in the augmented ability, for a net loss of 2 points in the affected ability. The drain ends the obligation, but the caster is typically too foolish or desparate at this point to accept the loss and move on with life. Gargauth may forcibly end the spell and its obligation(s) at any time, imposing any all penalties in the process. For each obligation failed by caster or forcibly ended by Gargauth, the caster receives a bestow curse (Will DC 25 +1 per previous failure), who ability penalty stacks with the end of the spell. Gargauth always curses the ability specifically augmented by the spell. See below for the consequences of an ability going below 0.

The caster may use this spell multiple times, whether to increase an already augmented score (to a maximum +5 inherent bonus), to increase another ability (also to a maximum +5 inherent bonus), or to offset ability drain (still a +5 inherent bonus maximum, but taken from the newly reduced score). Each casting requires its own additional corruption or sacrifice. Failure to fulfill any commitments results in ability drain(s) for the failed commitments. If a character is somehow raised, reincarnated or resurrected, Gargauth considers the character is willfully noncompliant with the bargain and the Constitution loss stacks with any Constitution drain possibly caused by this spell. See below for the result if Constitution drops to 0 or lower, as opposed to the typical failure of such spells.

Nothing short of a wish, miracle, artifact or divine intervention may remove the obligation(s) without preventing ability drain. The caster may end all obligations at any time and willingly accept the ability drains, but if any ability score drops to 0 from the ability drains, the caster is transformed into a lemure and transported to Avernus. His or her gear and possessions are randomly teleported across Faerun. As a 4th level clerical spell, however, Astaroth's Augmentation requires a minimum Wisdom score of 14 to cast. Draining Wisdom below 14 makes the caster unable to cast the spell, and his or her usefulness to Gargauth may be compromised. This results in a bestow curse (Will DC 25 + 1 per previous failure).

If your campaign uses the book Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells, each casting of this spell gives 1 corruption point to the caster, or 1 obeisance point if the caster is already evil. These points do not include corruption or obeisance points incurred fulfilling the terms of the spell.

A cleric of Gargauth may cast this spell on a willing recipient. The recipient faces all the responsibilities, (usually) not the caster. Even if the cleric repeatedly casts Astaroth's Augmentation on recipents who fail, Gargauth still gets servitor lemures. The cleric faces no retribution from Gargauth unless the target was specifically intended to succeed on a mission decided by Gargauth (not necessarily the cleric). If that case, both the cleric and the recipient face the same consequences.

The material components for this spell include three yellow feathers and powdered ruby worth at least 25 gp. The holy symbol need not be dedicated to Gargauth, unless cast by a cleric of Gargauth on behalf of a willing recipient.

Corrupting People of Power

Corruption means shifting the victim one alignment step closer to evil in not evil and then one step closer to law if already evil.

The following holds if the caster converts the victim to knowingly and willingly worship Gargauth. For every step in alignment shift as described above, the caster receives a one day extension until his or her next mandatory service. For every level or hit dice in a non-divine spellcasting class, the caster receives an additional one day extension. For every level or hit dice in a divine spellcasting class that does not grant an alignment aura, the caster receives an additional two day extension. For every level or hit dice in a divine spellcasting class that does grant an alignment aura such as cleric or paladin, the caster receives an additional month extension.

Sacrificing People of Power
The caster must sacrifice one victim whose character level or hit dice equals or exceeds the caster's own character level. If the sacrifice is good-aligned and is neither an outsider nor of a class that radiates a strong alignment aura, then add 2 to the effective hit dice or character level. If the sacrifice is good-aligned and is either an outsider or of a class that radiates a strong alignment aura, then add 6 to the effective hit dice or character level.

If the sacrifice is a baatezu not already in Gargauth's service, double the hit dice. These sacrifices help Gargauth absorb the essence of any baatezu he permanently destroys on the Prime Material Plane. Not that he would tell anyone else.

As an alternative, Gargauth allows the caster to sacrifice three victims, each of whose character level or hit dice (round up) is half the caster's character level.

NOTE: Gargauth has a burning grudge against Elminster for the setting a trap at the Sign of the Silver Harp back in 1022. To incentivize Elminster's comeuppance, Gargauth offers a one year extension on mandatory services required by the spell to Elminster's sacrifice. If the caster somehow converts Elminster to worship Gargauth , the caster will also have any and all ability drains and curses caused by this spell to be unconditionally removed. Good hunting!
Delnyn Posted - 05 Apr 2020 : 16:01:56
Featless Scroll Scribing

The caster must have fresh writing implements, paper/vellum on which to scribe the spell and access to an alchemical lab to create the ink-which is a process in itself. All materials and ingredients as with potions must be fresh and unused. The cost for materials is 50 gp X spell level X effective caster level (double the cost using the Scribe Scroll feat), plus material costs for any spells to be put into the scroll. The XP cost is 1/25 the market price as for the feat, plus any XP costs for the spells put into the scroll.

Creating the ink requires (spell level +1) ranks in Craft(alchemy). The caster need only attend the ink creation for one hour, after which he or she leaves the concoction to sit for the rest of the day, plus (spell level + effective caster level) additional days. The ink must be left strictly alone during that time, or else it is ruined and all money, ingredients and time are wasted.

The caster may scribe the spell once the ink is ready. The process requires (spell level + 1/2 effective caster level-round up) ranks in Craft(calligraphy) and one day per spell level. The caster must not be interrupted at any point during this time, or else the scroll is ruined and all resources effort and time are wasted.

This technique cannot work on epic spells, nor on spells increased above 9th level by metamagic feats. This is another more advanced technique, however, that allows for 10+ level spells advanced by metamagic. This other process is longer, more expensive and more demanding of knowledge and effort.
Delnyn Posted - 05 Apr 2020 : 15:34:55
The following technique is an alternative to taking the Brew Potion feat. One thing I found a bit odd about 3.5 edition mechanics is major spellcasters just somehow lost the ability to create magic items without taking item creation feats. My workaround is experienced spellcasters kept their old rituals and maybe tweaked them a bit to make them work.

Featless Potion Brewing Technique

The caster must have an fully furnished and stocked alchemical lab and source of heat as usual. The cost of base materials and ingredients is 50 gp X spell level X effective caster level, plus any costs for material components for the spells involved. (In short, the cost to create is double the cost done by feat.) All ingredients must be fresh and unused. The XP cost is still 1/25 to market price (100 gp X spell level X effective caster level) plus any XP costs for relevant spells. XP costs are only incurred when the caster begins casting the spell into the brewing potion.

Mixing and heating the potion correctly requires (7 + spell level + effective caster level) ranks in Craft(Alchemy) and Profession(Brewer) skills. The environment must be calm during the entire time of creation. Any interruption spoils the process, wasting all spells, ingredients, XP, money and time incurred. The time to create the potion is one day, plus one extra day per spell level.

Any feedback to keep this balanced with Brew Potion. If anything, I would like the item creation feat to be somewhat more appealing. My next task is to detail featless scroll writing.
Delnyn Posted - 31 Mar 2020 : 01:06:56
Spellbook Pen: This silver masterwork writing implement offers optimal writing technique when writing spells into a spellbook. This conserves use of ink and unnecessary smudges or wear on the page which receives the spell writing. The base material cost becomes 80 gp per page. The user must supply or pay for any extra components if applicable.

Faint transmutation; CL 3rd; Craft Wondrous Item, amanuensis; Market Price 650 gp; Weight 1/2 lb.
Delnyn Posted - 29 Mar 2020 : 16:06:24
quote:
Originally posted by LordofBones

Recharging staves strikes me as the sort of thing that should be a baseline ability, or something that comes along with the Craft X line of feats. Maybe full casters get the ability for free (wizard staves, druidic staves, clerical crosiers) while other classes need to burn a feat?

This is an excellent question. I assumed a Craft X feat was required to recharge the appropriate magic item without this spell. I also assumed a requirement that only arcane casters can recharge arcane staves and only divine casters could recharge divine staves, with or without this spell.
LordofBones Posted - 29 Mar 2020 : 15:22:17
Recharging staves strikes me as the sort of thing that should be a baseline ability, or something that comes along with the Craft X line of feats. Maybe full casters get the ability for free (wizard staves, druidic staves, clerical crosiers) while other classes need to burn a feat?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000