Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Oh!!! Aging

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Thelonius Posted - 07 Oct 2005 : 21:45:19
I am thinking in the creation of a char, indeed the same Thelonius of thy avatar, and I want to make him a young drow. But I don't really know at wich age an elf is a teenager. 20 years? 80? 100? I remember in NWN setting the 18 human years as 120 of an elf. in fact, is there any elvish-human ratio? Suppousing the elvish and the drow aging speed is the same.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 22 Oct 2005 : 00:25:30
Well... if you were going to have a city that involved all races, they should have voted on the name, in the regards of racial tolerance. I think it was just another elven superiority thing.

But that's off the topic.

C-Fb
khorne Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 22:07:30
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

It is still strange that one of the grandest cities in the whole of Faerun was named after a combination of an Elf and a Dwarf. I have no problem with the fact that all races got along and that was a great union that kicked the city off.. but it is still kind of strange.

C-Fb

Strange? It was Eltargrim who came up with it and we all know his feelings when it comes to racial tolerance, so I see nothing wrong with it.
Kianna Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 03:49:31
I agree. Gnomes are annoying. They are hard to play and hard to fit into a campaign.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 02:22:04
Well, that does make a bit of a difference, don't you think?

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 22:48:29
quote:

It is still strange that one of the grandest cities in the whole of Faerun was named after a combination of an Elf and a Dwarf. I have no problem with the fact that all races got along and that was a great union that kicked the city off.. but it is still kind of strange.

C-Fb

Well, there's another grand city named after a unicorn. Granted, she is a goddess, but still...
Lord of Bones Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 19:22:40
Ladies and gentlemen, the answer!

It would make a lot of sense. These playful dwarf hybrids... I never did like gnomes.
Forge Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 19:15:41
Uh, that would be... a gnome?

Lord of Bones Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 19:01:23
I had a player once who was dead set on playing a dwelf, but I couldn't work out any benefits in racial terms. Dwarves and Elves kind of cancel each other out.

The image of a dwarf with pointed ears and a wispy beard is rather amusing, if a bit pitiful...
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 18:56:29

C-Fb
khorne Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 17:57:36
quote:
Originally posted by The Destroyer

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Myth Drannor was partially named after an elf who married a dwarf.

Then the offspring of this elf and dwarf is called a eldwarling? I am totally and honestly amazed that Myth Drannor was partially named after this odd couple, all along I assumed the city was got its name as Myth Drannor or known as City of Song due to its richness in bardic songs.

Eltargrim chose the name. The name of the elf in question was Drannor, thus myth drannor.
Forge Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 17:44:05
I honestly like the way Dennis McKiernan approached elven longevity (immortality in his books). Basically they took up a profession for a time, usually decades or a century or so, when they eventually and inevitably mastered and grew bored with, the skills, they moved on to do something else.

Over the centuries they would retain some skills, but not all of the skills would be remembered, even as revisted through reverie. They even took turns at ruling and governing as it palled on them a new ruler (Coron) was installed.

Course, the elves in FR seem to be somewhat smaller in scope and in many ways, more petty. *shrug*
Kuje Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 17:22:44
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

I also enjoy the coming together of different races as long as it's not too difficult to imagine (Dwarf and Elf - nah).

Yeah...I suppose it's possible, but...it's not something I tend to imagine, myself.

That's the one I mentioned. :)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 14:21:41
Well, to be honest - that kind of makes me go, "Huh?". I know we have weird couplings in this world - but seriously, and elf and a dwarf couple would undoubtily end up on the Maury Povich (sp) show.

C-Fb
The Destroyer Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 10:52:42
quote:

Then the offspring of this elf and dwarf is called a eldwarling? I am totally and honestly amazed that Myth Drannor was partially named after this odd couple, all along I assumed the city was got its name as Myth Drannor or known as City of Song due to its richness in bardic songs.
khorne Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 10:39:44
quote:

quote:

I also enjoy the coming together of different races as long as it's not too difficult to imagine (Dwarf and Elf - nah).

Yeah...I suppose it's possible, but...it's not something I tend to imagine, myself.

The Sage Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 03:30:18
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

There is a offspring that has an elven parent and a dwarven parent in the Cormanthyr sourcebook. :) It does happen and half-dwarves existed in 2e. They are rare but there's about 5 or so in the lore.

They are also discussed in Dwarves Deep.

As for how long they live... I'd say longer then a dwarf but shorter then an elf.

Eric mentioned a dwelf of the Ironstar clan in one of his Mintiper's Chapbook articles.

From Part 5: Myth Glaurach of Mintiper's Chapbook -
quote:
As implied previously, the central caster of the variant of Mythanthar’s create mythal spell in this instance was Tisharu Craulnober. She imbued one major and one minor power into the mythal. Four secondary casters participated in the raising of Myth Glaurach’s mythal, including Aelynthi of the Eagles, a female moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Alenuath, Isinghar "Feyrune" Ironstar, a dwelf runecarver and archmage of Ammarindar, the Nameless Chosen, and Tsaer "the Horned" Nyamtharsar, a male moon elf of Eaerlanni ancestry and Clan Archmage of House Nyamtharsar.
Additionally, Steven had this to say about "dwelves" -

quote:
Dwelves....okay, I'll stop myself early before I start doing haiku about stone shelves and dungeon delves....

As stated above (and like half-elves), they favor and adopt the lifestyle/culture under which they are raised. Same goes for which gods they revere.

Both elves and dwarves have serious cognitive dissonance when it comes to dwelves, as (unlike half-elves or half-orcs, IMO) there's no set form or expectation for how they'll look. It's anyone's guess if you'll end up with a dwarf's body size and shape with elven features and ears or an elf's body but stocky vs. svelte and rather hairier than the norm. Dwarven parents may mourn their child's inability to grow a decent beard, thanks to their elven half, while elves may grumble that the child is more interested in the dirt rather than the tree from which it springs. Most likely, they're only comfortable among some societies that embrace acceptance and unity (like Myth Drannor or Miyeritar or elsewhere).

That said, I was surprised by that Myth Glaurach note. Methinks I'll have to talk to Eric and find out what else he's had the Blackstaff up to while I've not been watching....if only for my own curiousity, of course.

Kuje Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:33:30
There is a offspring that has an elven parent and a dwarven parent in the Cormanthyr sourcebook. :) It does happen and half-dwarves existed in 2e. They are rare but there's about 5 or so in the lore.

They are also discussed in Dwarves Deep.

As for how long they live... I'd say longer then a dwarf but shorter then an elf.
Kianna Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:27:10
Ok, let's say for the sake of argument that an elf and a dwarf were to reproduce (yeech!). How long would their offspring live (to whine)??? :)
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:24:38
Uh hum.... let's get back to topic...

Thought I'd help you moderators out.

C-Fb
Kianna Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 02:23:36
Elves and dwarves should not mix also, as I would assume they would also be whiners *wink*

(I can't think of any literary 1/2 elf 1/2 dwarf counterparts though so this post might not spark the angst my last one did)
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 21:07:16
quote:

Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:47:04
quote:

quote:

True. Honestly, I rather enjoy having characters be in interracial relationships; not for the sake of angst or melodrama, but because I enjoy the "coming together" of different cultures, in spite of the troubles it may bring.

I have had many characters who have had this happen or who pined for characters of a different race and you are right, there is a measure of satisfaction involved in role-playing that.

C-Fb
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:38:10
Or an incredible Yoga instructor... they can do wonders, so I hear.

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:20:17
Good question. I wouldn't mind knowing how Matron Baenre was able to live for 2000 years. My guess is magic.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 00:30:31
Ok, out of sake for the thread, I will let it go.

Back to the subject at hand - and my favorite race - Drow. Why is it that Drow priestesses (yes, I know about the other thread) can somehow manage to stay alive, well, pretty much forever. I know Amlaruil is still alive and kicking, but can the same apply for Drow rules?

Next question - I thought no deities were allowed to directly intervene in mortal affairs after the Time of Troubles? This would lead me to believe that the sustained ages of these extra-long-lived persons should be extinguished.

C-Fb
Wooly Rupert Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 22:40:25
Well, we obviously have differing opinions on who is or is not a whiner... But we stray from the original topic.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 22:21:55
Actually, I can think of a half-elf whiner - Arilyn. She does quite a bit of it in the first book of the Songs and Swords book set.

And if you say that Drizzt is overcontemplative, I would understand, but I don't necessarily consider him a whiner. And before you go off saying that I am this and that for defending him - I am just saying he is not a whiner, not that he has no bad qualities overall.

C-Fb
Winterfox Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 20:13:30
quote:

With two scimitars? Hmmm...

That's the one I was thinking of.

*looks shifty* Shhh.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 19:28:24
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

quote:
Really, not many FR character have struck me as whiners. Only one comes to mind off the top of my head, and he is definitely not a half-elf.

I can think of a few. Heh. Like a certain lavender-eyed individual...

With two scimitars? Hmmm...

That's the one I was thinking of.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 18 Oct 2005 : 19:25:39
quote:

True, it is a strange concept and one that is hard to think about. I just was getting to the point that humans that get involved with elves usually know what they're doing (usually because they're wizards or sorcerers). It is a hard relationship, without a doubt, especially if there are any half-elven children involved - look at all the problems 1/2Es caused for the Isle of Evermeet. :)

C-Fb

True. Honestly, I rather enjoy having characters be in interracial relationships; not for the sake of angst or melodrama, but because I enjoy the "coming together" of different cultures, in spite of the troubles it may bring.

As for half-elves being "whiners", no half-elf I've ever created has been like that, at least not when it comes to her race. Why? Because I cannot stand floods of angst (racial or otherwise), either in my own characters or in published novels. My characters have lives to live, darn it, they don't have time to cry about their heritage.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000