Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Which FR source book are you most hanging for?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 11 Oct 2005 : 01:21:21
A brief description going off known info

Champions of Valor: How to be a good guy/girl

Powers of Faerun: How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

Mysteries of the Moonsea: A Regional Source book for the Moonsea

As Im running a series of campaigns in the moonsea/Dalelands area Im going to vote for Mysteries of the Moonseas
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Victor_ograygor Posted - 09 Jun 2008 : 14:48:17
Powers of Faerun
Wooly Rupert Posted - 09 Jun 2008 : 14:45:45
You resurrected a three-year old thread to say you weren't interested in any of the books that have now been out for quite some time?
GRYPHON Posted - 09 Jun 2008 : 14:39:38
None of them...
Zanan Posted - 26 Oct 2007 : 22:14:51
Hm ... Underdark, Unapproachable East, Shining South, Players Guide to Faerūn, Champions of Ruin ... not to mention the all time FR greats like the Faiths & Avatars series, Cormanthyr, The Drow of the Underdark, et al. As in: the header is a bit misleading. For various rasons, none of the above books hit my liking enough to shoot them into the "wanted category".
Hawkins Posted - 26 Oct 2007 : 22:03:56
Seeing as I have actually purchased Champions of Valor but neither of the other two, I voted for it. I do intend to buy the other ones, but they will have to wait a bit.
Zimme Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 12:20:13
YES!! IT IS I............ THE RESSURECTER IS BACK!! lol. =)
Chosen of Moradin Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 12:12:45
Wow, this is an interesting "raise dead" cast in an old and battered topic
Zimme Posted - 31 Oct 2006 : 12:06:28
Mysteries for me, for sure!
Alisttair Posted - 12 Sep 2006 : 14:44:44
I have read the first two but have not yet read Mysteries of the Moonsea (its in my bookshelf however....will read it probably after Dragons of Faerun)
Neriandal Freit Posted - 21 Oct 2005 : 01:10:54
I'm personally awaiting Champions of Valor. Sure, I don't own any Sourcebooks (or know how to play) but CoV might have more things I could use for my Triangle of Three Campaign, maybe certain things Selune, Chauntea or Lathander use. Or give their blessing over certain groups, etc.

Edit: WOOT! Learned Scribe! *Shimmies* (Been here long enough...don't post enough apppearntly!)
The Destroyer Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 10:57:54
I chose Mysteries of the Moonsea, the region is rich in plots and quite mysterious in its own way, I am hoping to plan for a campaign for the moonsea, so that book will be the first one I will get.
Champions of Valor is coming this November, so no harm purchasing it, for I am tired of playing villans and need to effect a change. Power of Faerun...I will wait for it.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 04:14:57
Or as my quote says - open a kicking brothel in Waterdeep! Now that is some influence! :)

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Oct 2005 : 03:31:05
And come on, who can resist tips on how to become king or queen?
Lord of Bones Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 21:56:31
Okay, now I'm interested in PoF... ;) The possibilities of advancement for characters in a more political and social sense than in a 'level' sense will add for a new dimension. especially if it goes into details of different groups i.e. churches, noble houses, wizard guilds etc.
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 21:05:45
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, I suppose being 20th Plus level might help your influence a tad.

Exactly what I was thinking. Most of my low-level characters are content to build experience and influence as they go along, but they generally aren't so ambitious at that point that they expect to become rulers, courtiers, and so forth.

quote:
I think that Power of Faerun will probably help a person design a character to eventually become a socially and statwise powerful character. At least I hope it will be.

Same here.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:31:12
Well, I suppose being 20th Plus level might help your influence a tad.

I think that Power of Faerun will probably help a person design a character to eventually become a socially and statwise powerful character. At least I hope it will be.

C-Fb
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 20:24:20
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

A Postscript:
I spoke up about Power when I read Mr. Wilson's post, and realized that some scribes here might vote on the basis of thinking Power was a book just for players of high-level characters.
Not so.
ALL of my three sources said it was for DMs and for players of characters of any level (after all, a highly-ranked courtier can be just an Exp1).
love,
THO

True, true. But being powerful in the D&D sense of the world can help one be more influencial, too.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 17:16:43
Well... I will buy all three books, as soon as I can get my hands on them.

But...

Mysteries of the Moonsea: I can't say this one is grabbing me. I like that area, but it's not one I can get excited about.

Champions of Valor: This is the one I'm waiting for. I liked its predecessor, and I'm hoping to see more info on groups I like.

Powers of Faerūn: This one sounds interesting, but it's not got the "Wow!" factor going on.
Keravin Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 14:25:20
Power brokering is definitely of more interest to me when I'm looking at setting up a mostly urban based campaign. I did say POF could likely swing me around.
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 14:15:58
Come to think of it, I just can't wait for them all. I have immediately elements of my game that any of those sourcebooks will help.

And to ask, when is the release date for the Moonsea book? I have to make sure I get my book allowance all those months. Wife is a stickler on it.

C-Fb
George Krashos Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 06:49:30
quote:

A Postscript:
I spoke up about Power when I read Mr. Wilson's post, and realized that some scribes here might vote on the basis of thinking Power was a book just for players of high-level characters.
Not so.
ALL of my three sources said it was for DMs and for players of characters of any level (after all, a highly-ranked courtier can be just an Exp1).
love,
THO

And looking at the writers you know that you're going to get realmslore - somewhere in there in all those horrible stats and tables.

-- George Krashos
Dargoth Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 06:25:32
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I guess that makes Sage the "Anti Dargoth"

I started out liking the product but as more info come out the less interest Ive had in PoF

Sage on the otherhand started out disinterested in PoF but has come to like it with the release of more info

What can I say... I like sourcebooks that have particular focus on campaign elements such as courts and other political/clerical power structures. 'Tis probably why I still enjoy reading the various kings and royal lineage sourcebooks for the BIRTHRIGHT setting...

I wonder if this means George will Neutral...
The Sage Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 05:51:00
quote:

I started out liking the product but as more info come out the less interest Ive had in PoF

Sage on the otherhand started out disinterested in PoF but has come to like it with the release of more info

What can I say... I like sourcebooks that have particular focus on campaign elements such as courts and other political/clerical power structures. 'Tis probably why I still enjoy reading the various kings and royal lineage sourcebooks for the BIRTHRIGHT setting...
Dargoth Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 04:29:19

Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 03:58:49
Phlan was one of my first "gaming" exposures to the Realms. I had the Campaign setting and modules, but never had a gaming group in the Realms until way later.

It's sad that they decided to go in such a disappointing direction with those novels. Oh well, least it's long past.

C-Fb
The Sage Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 03:39:46
quote:

quote:

Dargoth, I've talked to a must-be-remain nameless WotC source, to a Wizards publicist at GenCon, and to Ed about Power of Faerun, and I'd say your one-line capsule of it at the head of this poll is a trifle misleading.
It's going to be a lot closer to something like this:

How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

In some cases that COULD be building a power base, yes.
love,
THO

Ok changed it (By which I mean I cut and pasted what you siad)

Hmm not sure how I feel about Power of Faerun now.. The New description makes it sound like PoF will be a primer for Faerunian Politics 101... and while it might be handy for characters playing Nobles or in campaigns that focus heavily on Internal politics in organisations it would seem to be less useful for your Dungeon crawl type adventuring party. Admitedly we only have about a paragraph of info for PoF.....

Actually, taking into consideration Ed's earlier comments to me about what I'd thought about the book and it's proposed content, and the little tidbits the Lady Hooded One has dropped here and there, I find myself increasingly looking forward to this work with each passing month.
Dargoth Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 02:32:24
quote:

Dargoth, I've talked to a must-be-remain nameless WotC source, to a Wizards publicist at GenCon, and to Ed about Power of Faerun, and I'd say your one-line capsule of it at the head of this poll is a trifle misleading.
It's going to be a lot closer to something like this:

How to "get ahead" at court, within a priesthood, as a merchant trader, as a leader of soldiers, in a frontier area . . . and so on. With sample court and palace, fortress, et al.

In some cases that COULD be building a power base, yes.
love,
THO

Ok changed it (By which I mean I cut and pasted what you siad)

Hmm not sure how I feel about Power of Faerun now.. The New description makes it sound like PoF will be a primer for Faerunian Politics 101... and while it might be handy for characters playing Nobles or in campaigns that focus heavily on Internal politics in organisations it would seem to be less useful for your Dungeon crawl type adventuring party. Admitedly we only have about a paragraph of info for PoF.....
The Sage Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 02:21:50
quote:

Ooooh, now, that'd be TELLING.
And as much as I like the taste of the lash, NDAs are hard and sharp and not nice at all.
Which is what Ed gently reminded me of, when I relayed your query to him.
He DID, however, add a grin.

love,
THO

A grin... How fiendish .

I appreciate the effort, despite the lack of any specific answer. Thanks THO .
The Hooded One Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 02:03:57
A Postscript:
Not so.
love,
THO
The Hooded One Posted - 19 Oct 2005 : 01:59:53
Ooooh, now, that'd be TELLING.
And as much as I like the taste of the lash, NDAs are hard and sharp and not nice at all.
Which is what Ed gently reminded me of, when I relayed your query to him.
He DID, however, add a grin.

love,
THO

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000