Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 02 Oct 2005 : 03:28:24
Mr. Scott de Bie's new posting thread has caused me to ask the general population of this board who their favorite Seven Sister is and why? They all have their merits but what makes them super special to you...

C-Fb
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 01:52:00
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

and The Annotated Elminster which is is a collectors edition hardcover of the first three , with Ed's notes and Doodles. ( i have heard great things about the extra notes and such, but have yet to open my copy)

I'd doubly recommend The Annotated Elminster. The collection of Ed's notes, drawings, and annotations make this one of the most treasured pieces in my entire FR collection. They provide real insight into Ed's mind, and the creative processes involved in bringing the Realms to life.
Zeffaniah Posted - 13 Jul 2010 : 00:47:53
Thanks alot Dennis, really looking forward to read those books. I believe one of my friends have them at home.
Have a nice day m8 :)
Dennis Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 22:41:33
quote:
Originally posted by Zeffaniah

quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

it was her who went for Elminster when he got banished to some unfriendly plane, don't remember which.

It was Avernus, the first layer of Hell. El went there to seal the rift caused by a clash of his spellfire and Shadovar magic, and ended up a plaything of Nergal, an archfiend. Alassra went to Avernus and fought Nergal to rescue him.

Thanks alot for the info Dennis. I never got to read those novels, only been told by some of my D&D friends what happened.
Will you recommend to read them?

I highly recommend that you read them. There's one more coming this August, called Elminster Must Die! And if you want to see a preview of it, you can read the last book of the "Ed Greenwood presents Waterdeep" series, "Circle of Skulls" (which sadly is not yet available here). I think the prologue or the first chapter of El Must Die! is included in that book.

You can read the series in any order, just like what one of my friends did. Though, as per my own experience, it's still better to read it in chronological order. Unfortunately I haven't got the chance to read the Annotated version. Our bookstores here ran out of copies and have no plan of reordering.

----some little spoilers here-----

Anyway, in Elminster in Hell, you'll get to see what a goddess's fury can do to Hell when her favorite Chosen is kidnapped, almost forgetting her duty to safeguard Toril. And of course, since you like the Simbul, you'll find her exploits here quite fun to read. Halaster also made a stunning appearance.

Have fun reading them!
Zeffaniah Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 21:49:12
Ok, thanks alot m8.
Just found out, that I have Shadows Of Doom & Cloak Of Shadows on my book shelf aswell as The Temptation Of Elminster. Have never opened them lol,but the 2 first seems to be from The Shadow Of The Avatar series.
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 21:29:09
Six books so far.

Elminster: Making of a Mage

Elminster in Myth Drannor

The Temptation of Elminster

Elminster in Hell

Elminster's Daughter

and the soon to be released Elminster Must Die!

also there is

Elminster Ascending : Which is the first three together in a trade paperback for around $10.

and The Annotated Elminster which is is a collectors edition hardcover of the first three , with Ed's notes and Doodles. ( i have heard great things about the extra notes and such, but have yet to open my copy)
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 21:24:12
quote:

Ok Red Walker, thanks alot. And the name of this box set is?
Thanks alot in advance for helping me out, helpful and wise people in here as always, well not as wise as The Sage though ;)

It's called The Elminster Series and unfortunately is no sold as a set yet.

Zeffaniah Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 20:34:07
Ok Red Walker, thanks alot. And the name of this box set is?
Thanks alot in advance for helping me out, helpful and wise people in here as always, well not as wise as The Sage though ;)
The Red Walker Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 14:27:17
quote:

quote:

quote:

it was her who went for Elminster when he got banished to some unfriendly plane, don't remember which.

It was Avernus, the first layer of Hell. El went there to seal the rift caused by a clash of his spellfire and Shadovar magic, and ended up a plaything of Nergal, an archfiend. Alassra went to Avernus and fought Nergal to rescue him.

Thanks alot for the info Dennis. I never got to read those novels, only been told by some of my D&D friends what happened.

Absolutely worth reading...they are full of juicy realmslore and interesting characters.
Zeffaniah Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 09:30:19
quote:

quote:

Dennis Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 02:34:42
quote:

Dennis Posted - 12 Jul 2010 : 02:22:33

Okay, at least you made that clear.

I just think that the "danger" factor is one of the reasons that make The Simbul "outshine" her sisters. Even the Aglarondans are not totally safe from her fury, as seen in 'The Simbul's Gift.' But when things involve dire and immediate resolutions, expect the Simbul to never shirk them, no matter how fatal the actions may be.

Iluvrien Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 23:05:45
quote:
If you ask me, I scarcely see the difference. A cause-and-effect factor. In how I see it, your doubt springs from you finding her a bit unbelievable. (Too Regal to be comfortable with?)

Not Regal. Dangerous. It is Laeral and Alustriel that I consider to have a Regal, if mischevious, aspect to their natures. That is, perhaps, something I should have been clearer about; which two of the four that I mentioned I was referring to regalness in relation to.

With Alassra and her purr-at or pulverise nature, I couldn7t imagine myself getting close to her as a person before being torn apart by some manner of spellfury. Hers, or her enemy's.

I don't consider her unbelievable, just someone I would only be able to associate with while wearing... a tank.
Zeffaniah Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 19:34:09
I voted for The Simbul - I simply love her chaotic wild nature. As King Azoun IV once called her:"A good friend, but a deadly enemy". Besides that, it was her who went for Elminster when he got banished to some unfriendly plane, don't remember which.

"In Thay they trust in their spells. They bluster overmuch and fear too little. Yet I know how to make a Red Wizard go pale with but 3 words. All I need say is: Summon The Simbul."
Dennis Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 04:02:18
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

It isn't Alassra I find unbelievable... it is my capacity to remain anywhere near her that I doubt .

If you ask me, I scarcely see the difference. A cause-and-effect factor. In how I see it, your doubt springs from you finding her a bit unbelievable. (Too Regal to be comfortable with?)
Dennis Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 03:45:41
quote:
Originally posted by mensch

I must say I have an irrational dislike for Storm Silverhand after reading the Avatar trilogy. The way she treated Midnight and that poor Cyric after accusing them of Elminster's death just isn't fair. I'm absolutely sure that without the haughty accusations of Storm Cyric would still be a happy Chaotic Neutral rogue instead of a Chaotic Evil Supergod with a tendency to slit one's Achilles' heel

I voted for Laeral Silverhand, partly because she's the founder of the Moonstars.

Though Storm is not my favorite of the Seven, I find her quite interesting and fun. And I agree with you that the way she was portrayed in A.T. was rather dislikable. But if you read Silverfall, RotA, Shandril's S, and Shadows of the Av, I think you'll find her 'cool' enough...Oh, well, maybe not much in RotA.

Dennis Posted - 11 Jul 2010 : 03:36:48

YES. And 'tis one of the many reasons I found myself easily immersed in Steven's "Blackstaff."

The Sage Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 00:51:15
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

quote:

I voted for Laeral Silverhand, partly because she's the founder of the Moonstars.

Actually, that was her hubby, Khelben (my personal fave among the Chosen).

Ah yes, you're right.

I wonder, is the schism between Khelben and the Harpers detailed in a novel somewhere? Both the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Wikipedia state that Laeral leads the Moonstars, together with Khelben. So while technically not a founding member, she's cool enough. ;) Being the consort to Mr. "Blackstaff" Arunsun also earns her a lot of brownie points.

It was detailed in the last (and one of the greatest) sourcebooks of the 2E era, Cloak & Dagger. It was pretty much ignored after that.

There's a few brief bits in Steven Schend's Blackstaff as well.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 29 Jun 2010 : 00:44:30
quote:

quote:

quote:

Ah yes, you're right.

I wonder, is the schism between Khelben and the Harpers detailed in a novel somewhere? Both the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Wikipedia state that Laeral leads the Moonstars, together with Khelben. So while technically not a founding member, she's cool enough. ;) Being the consort to Mr. "Blackstaff" Arunsun also earns her a lot of brownie points.

It was detailed in the last (and one of the greatest) sourcebooks of the 2E era, Cloak & Dagger. It was pretty much ignored after that.
Kyrene Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 21:04:27
I voted "None" *shrugs* Don't know any of them nearly well enough to even begin to pick a favourite.

Although, the [very sexy] scene between the Simbul and El, about three-quarters into Spellfire where she admits to being lonely, might have given her my vote simply because I like troubled-but-extremely-dangerous-lasses.
mensch Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 15:16:47
quote:

quote:

Ah yes, you're right.

Iluvrien Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 01:12:35
It isn't Alassra I find unbelievable... it is my capacity to remain anywhere near her that I doubt .
Dennis Posted - 28 Jun 2010 : 00:44:03

Strange, I always find Alassra believable. But then, believability of characters is scarcely objective,and rather subjective.
Iluvrien Posted - 27 Jun 2010 : 15:04:28
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm curious as to why you feel this way about both Alassra and Qilue?

...and here I was trying to be a good little newbie and keep my head down while I continue to try and get my head around the wonderful, and occasionally daunting, morass of scrolls at CK...

The answer to you question, Sage, is both a little complex and a little vague, so I beg your indulgence on both counts.

The basic idea is that thanks to the way my, rather vivid, imagination works I am unable to consider characters as purely literary constructions. This means that if they work at all for me, the work as People rather than Things. It is also why I am unable to read books by Stephen Donaldson anymore (the things he does to his characters make me physically unwell).

In a way, the response to Alassra and Qilue is similar to the feelings that Laeral and Alustriel evoke. In both of these cases, while both of these Great Ladies seem to be capable of great personal amusement, mischeviousness, care and tenderness, in any audience with them I can only conclude that I would spend too much of the time enfolded in a mixture of awe and wonder, I have always perceived an almost Regal aspect to them, to reach a degree of comfort.

This cerebro-emotional barrier has, while not decreasing my regard for them, prevented me from warming to them as favourites.

It is much the same with Alassra and Qilue, if for different reasons:

Alassra's very wildness is the divisive factor here. El may be able to stand against her tumult (and more respect to him for managing it), but being all too aware of my own paltry weakness I could not even force the suspension of my own disbelief for long enough to consider doing more than peeking into the throne-room of Aglarond from behind a THICK wall.

My difficulty with Qilue is similar, in that it is a suspension of disbelief problem. For all that I have enjoyed her as a character and her actions in service to both the Dark Maiden and the Lady of Mysteries, I find that this dual-devotion in addition to her Drow nature just left too few points of commonality for me to draw her off the page in a way that would allow me to relate to her with more fondness than awe, curiosity or shock.

I hope that makes more sense of it, and wasn't too long and waffly.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 27 Jun 2010 : 15:00:54
quote:

The Sage Posted - 27 Jun 2010 : 14:13:19
quote:
Originally posted by Iluvrien

I have a great affection for many of the Seven Sisters, I have a little more difficulty dealing with Alassra and Qilue than the others, but Storm has always been my favourite.
I'm curious as to why you feel this way about both Alassra and Qilue?
Iluvrien Posted - 27 Jun 2010 : 13:28:08
Storm, hands down, full stop, with knobs on.

I have a great affection for many of the Seven Sisters, I have a little more difficulty dealing with Alassra and Qilue than the others, but Storm has always been my favourite.

That preference almost did not survive the Avatar books, however I then went on to read several others where she featured prominently... and they were written by Ed.

As for why, well, I think that out of them all, as interesting as meeting them would be (Laeral and Alustriel, I am looking at you two) the one of Seven (still alive) who I would find the most contentment with either at home, or around the wilds, or even have laughing at me while I attempt to chop wood in the nude, would be Storm.
mensch Posted - 25 Jun 2010 : 13:53:41
I must say I have an irrational dislike for Storm Silverhand after reading the Avatar trilogy. The way she treated Midnight and that poor Cyric after accusing them of Elminster's death just isn't fair. I'm absolutely sure that without the haughty accusations of Storm Cyric would still be a happy Chaotic Neutral rogue instead of a Chaotic Evil Supergod with a tendency to slit one's Achilles' heel

The Sage Posted - 19 Jun 2010 : 09:33:47
'Tis done, Talwyn.
Talwyn Posted - 19 Jun 2010 : 09:18:25
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

quote:
Originally posted by Talwyn

I voted for Qilue and agree with Zireal that her death felt like it had no purpose but a simple way to end any chance of Eilistraee's cult ever continuing.

Qilue was an intriguing character who popped up in what I thought the best Drow series by Elaine Cunningham.

Alas, it's all water under the trollbridge now and ranting about it won't bring her or Eilistraee back.

I miss the Dark Dancer and her followers
Dont even get me started about what they did to her and how it went down! 4th edition my butt!

John

Umm...excuse me but could the above post please be amended as it looks like I am being quoted out of context here.

The red bolded text, well those are not my words nor sentiments.

Thanks

Dennis Posted - 19 Jun 2010 : 08:12:11

I like Laeral in the Return of the Archwizards. I think she and Khelben are the only Chosen that Troy managed to portray well in that series...

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000