Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Vampirism

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Lord Desolation Posted - 26 Aug 2005 : 22:15:21
I was wondering if there was a limit to what could turn into a vampire or not. Because all that I have heard that could become a vampire is so far a elf, humans, and dragons. Is there a rule that only sentient creatures could be turned into a vampire. Because you wouldn't want to be atacked by an army of vampire squerels or have one of your characters being stocked by a vampire goblin. The size of the creature is a problem to because any giant would have a hard time hiding from the sun or finding enough blood to slake its apetite. So if you could offer any input it would be helpful.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Desolation Posted - 30 Sep 2005 : 22:06:43
Why couldn't you have a vampire gain experience. I think you could play any creature, humanoid, or living creature as a character. Why couldnt you play as a demon of some sort that has the task to command a group of demons for a coming assault. It would be cool to play as a lich or a dragon to.

I am just throwing these ideals out there but it would make it so much better.
The Sage Posted - 09 Sep 2005 : 14:16:26
The PM is on it's way.

Enjoy .
Tifus Artwin Posted - 09 Sep 2005 : 11:18:02
I wouldnt mind the stats for all the Main players of those Sage, Ive been working on a good Kain replica since playing the First of those games, never worked out that well for some reason though.
The Sage Posted - 09 Sep 2005 : 02:02:33
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

For some reason thinking about a master vampire getting powers, then having those power pass on to it servitors, reminds me of Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series of video games.

On another forum I frequent, some friends and I worked up a significant number of d20 stats for most of the characters from these games. I think we got as far as starting to detail the Pillars of Nosgoth in d20.

If anyone is interested, I can send you a link via PM.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 21:11:07
quote:
For some reason thinking about a master vampire getting powers, then having those power pass on to it servitors, reminds me of Kain and Raziel from the Legacy of Kain series of video games.

I've always wanted to play test having vampires actually gain expirience points by drinking the blood of others, and gaining some of their powers. One neat rule might be that if the victim is willing, the victim's powers become one with the vampire, and the vampire can do things he couldn't before.

Naturally, to balance this out, the vampire would gradually lose exp over a certain period of time.
Misericordia Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 17:49:24
For Ravenloft rights back to the WotC check this: http://www.white-wolf.com/?line=news&articleid=276
Wooly Rupert Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 17:24:50
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well... Vampires probably got a major boost in 3E because the company that bought the Ravenloft title was none other than White Wolf... fitting.

Actually, vampires gaining increased abilities and power as they age dates back to at least the first Ravenloft boxed set, released during the days of 2E.

quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

I think I heard recently, though, that they decided to let the campaign setting default back to WotC. Anyone know if that is true or not?

C-Fb

I've heard something to that effect...
KnightErrantJR Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 17:14:47
Crennen FaerieBane Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 14:46:51
Well... Vampires probably got a major boost in 3E because the company that bought the Ravenloft title was none other than White Wolf... fitting.

I think I heard recently, though, that they decided to let the campaign setting default back to WotC. Anyone know if that is true or not?

C-Fb
Tifus Artwin Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 10:31:41
WOW!
Just opened up a copy of Ravenloft 3.5 version, and checked out the Vampires in there, and man do they get mean.
Sir Cromwell you are indeed correct, a 1000yr old Vampire is known as a Patriarch, and again I must say, MAN ARE THEY MEAN.

They also get Salient Powers as they age, and the powers tend to follow along the same bloodline, (i.e. if your maker could use say, Dimensional Door, odds are so would you, and you would gain a new ability about once every 200 years of your life as a Vamp.)
The Sage Posted - 08 Sep 2005 : 02:30:18
Or any RAVENLOFT tome in general for that matter -- the setting specific MCs and the monster book for 3e.

I've always enjoyed the ways in which vampires have been handled in both the 2e and 3e interpretations of the Dread Realms.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 07 Sep 2005 : 15:22:48
I'd say by now, it should be VERY apparent that any one with ANY sort of question about vamps/lycans/witches etc. should go read the Van Richten's Guides.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 22:47:47
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Well met!

This may be a bit off topic, but I have always liked the way vampires are portrayed in Vampire: The Masquerade. They have much more variety in strengths and flaws than your standard D&D bloodsuckers I also like the fact that Cain is portrayed as the first vampire...

But that's where the earlier-mentioned Van Richten's Guide comes in. You certainly don't need to make each and every vampire be totally unique, but if you're using one as a major NPC, then break out Van Richten's and create a unique and memorable vampire.

And you can do the same for your lycanthropes, too. Van Richten pretty much covered all the notable critters that go bump in the night...
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 21:59:10
quote:
I also like the fact that Cain is portrayed as the first vampire...

Once again, I relate to how Strahd Von Zorovich kills his own brother and makes a pact with darkness. See the tie-in?
Asgetrion Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 21:47:36
Well met!

This may be a bit off topic, but I have always liked the way vampires are portrayed in Vampire: The Masquerade. They have much more variety in strengths and flaws than your standard D&D bloodsuckers I also like the fact that Cain is portrayed as the first vampire...
warlockco Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 17:22:03
And their level drain became much more powerful also. All the way up to a drain of 5 levels per hit.
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 14:31:10
The highest age category is Patriarch (I believe), at 1000 yrs. They get things like more special powers, higher DCs for everything, and higher resistance to their weaknesses.

A vampire that has lived for 400 years, for example, could go out in sunlight for 10 minutes without dying (or at least such is the case with Strahd).

As well, they get neat things such as a stake through the heart not killing them but merely paralyzing them. They become OOBER VAMPS.
khorne Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 14:17:16
What kind of powers do the strongest vampires have? And how old does a vampire have to be to be among the mightiest?
Faramicos Posted - 06 Sep 2005 : 11:31:35
Precisely... Like with the XP of mortals, a vampire has to evolve into the next levels of power by leaerning and experiencing...
warlockco Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 21:23:27
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

One time a player in a RL campaign I was in demonstrated that when it comes to D&D, you don't mess with time.

Player-"Ok, I am now going use all that good to build a strong hold for myself"

Once stronghold is built...

Dm-"Your stronghold is built, what now"
Player-"I go into my coffin, and I sleep for the next 1000 years, thus making me the most powerful type of vampire"
Dm-"Alright, in all those years of sleeping, however, a random adventurer sneaks into your stronghold and stabs you with a stake, which you were unable to resist because you were so sound asleep. make a new character"

My take on Vampires getting more powerful with age, they have to "live" that time, not hibernate it away.
Thelonius Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 20:29:13
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Luther Cromwell

One time a player in a RL campaign I was in demonstrated that when it comes to D&D, you don't mess with time.

Player-"I go into my coffin, and I sleep for the next 1000 years, thus making me the most powerful type of vampire"
Dm-"Alright, in all those years of sleeping, however, a random adventurer sneaks into your stronghold and stabs you with a stake, which you were unable to resist because you were so sound asleep. make a new character"

Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 14:37:47

Thelonius Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 14:15:06
As a general rule an older vampire is always the most powerful, excepts special cases, of course if the vampire really know his powers. I remeber a game I did where an old, very old, vampire didn't know his age, and either his powers. Of course the game was about his search. But a normal rule, the older one rules.
khorne Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 13:51:21
In that case a vampire who was turned before the first flowering of the elves wouldn`t exactly be a pushover.
warlockco Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 11:53:38
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Do vampires become more powerful as they age? Like would a 500 year old vampire be more powerful than a 300 year old?

Van Richten's Guide to Vampires in 2E had rules for increased powers for vampires the longer they have been a vampire.
tauster Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 11:18:02
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Do vampires become more powerful as they age? Like would a 500 year old vampire be more powerful than a 300 year old?

iirc, van richtens guide to vampires lists several age categories, but i could be wrong here.

the same (highly recommendable!) book introduces other methods for vampires to sustain. this may be other body fluids (eyes, for example) or non-corporeal things like emotions.

one of my players, a doomguide (cleric of kelemvor), encountered a beautiful female vampire who can feed on blood, but abhorrs it and prefers to feed on passion her victims feel when they first fall in love with her. somehow she can only "feed" on that particular kind of feeling one has while being "on cloud number nine", so she is forced to change her lovers every tenday or so, lest she´s forced to feed on blood. she became one of our favourite npc´s.
khorne Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 09:23:11
Sir Luther Cromwell Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 06:46:32
Now what is interesting are vamps that don't necessarily suck blood.

The thing about all vampires is that deep down inside, whether they notice it or not, they all have a secret desire to be alive again.

Your classic vampire does this buy sucking blood, having that blood run momentarily through his veins (constitution drain). In Van Richten's guide, there are other ways for vampires to gain a momentary feel of 'humanity'. For instance, cerebral vampires feed upon spinal fluid (intelligence drain), so that they may feel that they have normally functioning central nervous systems. Another, vampire elves: vampire elves, unlike normal elves, age incredibly terribly. So, to make themselve feel human, they do charisma drain, sucking the life force and beauty of other creatures.
warlockco Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 02:45:04
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

If it weren't for one little "flaw," well two actually, Vampires would pretty much be the most powerful of undead.
1) Very Very Vulnerable to Sunlight.
2) The Thirst.

Even with those flaws, vampires are still pretty powerful.

Yep, which made Greater Vampires in 1E even nastier, since they didn't have flaw #1.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Sep 2005 : 02:15:50
quote:
Originally posted by warlockco

If it weren't for one little "flaw," well two actually, Vampires would pretty much be the most powerful of undead.
1) Very Very Vulnerable to Sunlight.
2) The Thirst.

Even with those flaws, vampires are still pretty powerful.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000