Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Examples of Valley of the Dead locations in FR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
D-brane Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 04:02:18
Hey all,

I'm looking to run the next few stages of my campaign in an necropolis/city of the dead/Valley of the Kings area of the Realms. Or even something like the Valley of the Dark/Sith Lords in the "Knights of the Old Republic" PC games for STAR WARS.

Are there any specifically detailed necropolis-styled areas in the lore? I can vaguely recall a few, but I don't have any hard notes on where they've been detailed, so I'm asking for a little assistance here.

I appreciate any and all assistance in this matter.
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Steven Schend Posted - 04 Aug 2007 : 12:58:39
The Gorge of the Fallen Idol (eastern Tethyr) could work for nonhumans in this respect. For humans, I'd say many, many caves in the Lands of Intrigue are probably crypts for dwarves of Upper Shanatar or access to same in lower Shanatar; the entire eastern quarter of Shoonach is a massive cemetery and useful for this. There are probably other places as noted above, but I'm not remembering them. My brain doth not worketh without coffee....

Steven
Markustay Posted - 03 Aug 2007 : 20:08:36
Ejen Horo from The Horde material. The cool part of that region is that the dead were placed on an elevated 'stetcher', and left to the elements.

A similar tradition exist amongst the Sharran peoples, who place their dead in the same exposed fashion along the cliffface of the Landrise.

And another similar method is present in the valley of Kings of the Khazari, Zanda Tholing. The Khazari have an ancient tradition of traveling to this remote location, far from their borders, and burying their dead nobility by leaving them exposed to the elements. Perhaps this is a hold-over from the Kingdom of Guge, in who's former territory this burial ground lies.
questing gm Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 06:20:30
There's the Fell Pass in the Silver Marches (does that count ?)

And instead of kings, there is the Well of Dragons
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 01:46:38
And you can always add your own lore in if need be.
The Sage Posted - 01 Aug 2007 : 01:20:20
The town of Mishtan, gateway to the Land of the Dead in Mulhorand, may be another locale for you. See Old Empires.

Also, while not strictly the Realms [and, as I recall, you are a RAVENLOFT fan], I would recommend looking over the entry for the Darklord Death's Necropolis in Gazetteer Vol. 2. With some slight adaptations, you should be able to find a place for it in some of the less populous reaches of the Realms. Any environment similar to that of Darkon would be appropriate.
Wenin Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 17:13:09
Evereska had a group who were the Tomb Guardians. They guarded all the tombs from the fallen elven empires around the time of the crown wars. I don't know of any concentrated burial location that would equate to the Valley of the Kings.
Kuje Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 16:58:56
Gary Gygax put out 8390, Necropolis from Sword and Sorcery for 3/3.5. It would fit great in Calimshan or some other desert location but ya'd have to change the deities around a bit, etc. However, it's a HUGE book.

http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=172
tauster Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 14:16:15
I don't know what the "Valley of the Dark/Sith Lords" is, but there is a series called "Perilous Gateways" on wotc's website. Especially "Strongholds of Undeath" might be of interest to you: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/pg20021030x

The Sage Posted - 31 Jul 2007 : 06:10:00
One location that immediately comes to mind is Pholzubbalt, the Boneyard, from Underdark.

Lost Empires of Faerūn will also prove useful -- especially the 'God-Kings of the East' chapter, which concentrates on both ancient Imaskari and Mulhorandi necroplises.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000