Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Yule Mystical Anthropormorphic Personification?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Delzounblood Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 10:23:07
Here's one for you.

I have never really looked into Yule in the Realms but,

Here in the Real World we have Ol' Nick aka Santa Claus.
In Diskworld they have The HogFather.

Who do we have in The Realms ? Elminster

Is there a mystical anthropormorphic personification (sorry just watched Hogfather on sky) in other words who is Forgotten Realms's Santa?

Just wondering....

Delz

30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zimme Posted - 24 Dec 2006 : 02:04:55
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That "old man" interpretation in DL doesn't exactly equate with the notion of Father Christmas however.

Nah, but its the closest you will get to it
Delzounblood Posted - 22 Dec 2006 : 11:30:07
quote:
Originally posted by LucianBarasu

*Laughs at Mace's comment*
I am sure all the roman catholics of old went around saying to their wives,
"It's snowing...get into bed.."

Walkerninja, i've heard the same thing. That Yuletide was a celebration of death, and spring of rebirth.

LB, That almost makes me want to belive..... Nahh second thoughts.

WN, Yes I had thought that too Death and rebirth.

Erik Scott de Bie, Thanks I've just started thinking about Xmas in relation to the realms. That and anthropormorphic personifications.

Delz

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 22 Dec 2006 : 01:01:48
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I thought yule/midwinter and midsummer were traditionally all about bonking...

I thought that was spring...or anytime, for some people.

There is something romantic about wintertime romance, though ("Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland").
LucianBarasu Posted - 21 Dec 2006 : 19:49:29
*Laughs at Mace's comment*
I am sure all the roman catholics of old went around saying to their wives,
"It's snowing...get into bed.."

Walkerninja, i've heard the same thing. That Yuletide was a celebration of death, and spring of rebirth.
Mace Hammerhand Posted - 21 Dec 2006 : 19:45:12
I thought yule/midwinter and midsummer were traditionally all about bonking...
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 21 Dec 2006 : 18:31:37
This is a neat thread!

quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

In ancient European mythology (the origin of Yule or Yuletide), this holiday was a Solstice celebration with mystical connotations concerning the dead.

And the Realms Santa . . . .

Jergal.

"Mommy, why does the praying mantis have a beard?"

"Suspend your disbelief, honey. Suspend your disbelief."

Cheers
Rinonalyrna Fathomlin Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 23:36:30
I still believe in Santa Claus. Maybe that's why I like Elminster so much?

Delzounblood Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 15:58:53
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood
[br
Prehaps we could think up a new portfloio for a suitable god, so they can become a santa like figure in the realms?

Delz

I hate to quote myself BUT... there have done,

How about a ONE NIGHT PER YEAR folio for AO as the ALL GIVER?

At least it will give him something to do apart from kicking Bane up the arse every now and then!

Delz
Kentinal Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 15:19:04
This http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20021225x might be of some use, however not realm specific.

Delzounblood Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 14:41:47
OK so who is the Realms Santa??????
Talanfir Swiftfeet Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 07:49:38
A year ago I tried to make a deity out of Santa. You can watch it here http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5770
Dargoth Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 01:29:01
quote:

Who do we have in The Realms ? Elminster

See Eds Elminster novels, Elminster being Sanata is practically true the only difference is that Santa climbs down the chimney of your house and puts presents by your christmas tree. Elminster breaks into your crypt or tomb after your dead and sticks Wands, Staffs scrolls and Spellbooks in your coffin!
The Sage Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 00:59:22
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

I, personally, find it mildly amusing that no one ever discusses the other festivals in FR or even the others that are celebrated on Earth. What do you think halloween is? It's another pagan festival that's been commercialized, etc.

Err, All Hollows Eve is clearly a Christian holiday, though it was built from a "pagan" tradition. The Chuch set a date for it as oposed to repesting the cycle of nature. I am not amused at all that anyone believes halloween is a pagan holiday.

It's clearly not a Christian holiday, but let's leave it at that especially since the Celts had it first as Samhain.
Indeed. Aspects of the Catholic "All Souls' Day" and Halloween are usually considered as modern derivatives of the ancient Celtic tradition.

quote:
And to keep this on topic, I'd love to have more details on the other festivals in FR. Sure, I can use pagan references from Earth for them, but it's not the same.
Agreed.

And we've seen a few festivals mentioned in the Realmslore, though with little actual information behind them.

I may just put together a list for Ed!
Kuje Posted - 20 Dec 2006 : 00:22:48
quote:

quote:

I, personally, find it mildly amusing that no one ever discusses the other festivals in FR or even the others that are celebrated on Earth. What do you think halloween is? It's another pagan festival that's been commercialized, etc.

Err, All Hollows Eve is clearly a Christian holiday, though it was built from a "pagan" tradition. The Chuch set a date for it as oposed to repesting the cycle of nature. I am not amused at all that anyone believes halloween is a pagan holiday.

It's clearly not a Christian holiday, but let's leave it at that especially since the Celts had it first as Samhain.

And to keep this on topic, I'd love to have more details on the other festivals in FR. Sure, I can use pagan references from Earth for them, but it's not the same.
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 23:56:30
Okay, I'm ending this before it gets out of hand.

Let's try and keep our personal views regarding religion out of this discussion please.

If further discussion on the religious aspects of this scroll are required, I would suggest using either PMs or emails.

Reefy Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 23:55:10
quote:

quote:

And I'm just not amused by Halloween.
Kentinal Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 23:20:03
quote:

The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 23:06:34
quote:

What do you think halloween is? It's another pagan festival that's been commercialized, etc.
Oh, how very true!
Kuje Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 17:15:53
It's funny someone said Elminster, since Ed said this in 2004:

"December 29, 2004: BrokenRulz, Ed hereafter makes answer to your question: “How does Elminster celebrate the Yuletide/Soltice?”

The axial tilt, size, and rotational period of Toril are close to our Earth’s but not identical. Solstices do occur, and at such times “the Weave shines forth most brightly” in the Realms.

Which is the bardic way of saying that at such times there’s some restlessness in Mystra, due to her origins (Selune), and the Weave is therefore more active than at most other times (with surges of raw magical energy washing back and forth, sometimes ‘powering up’ cast spells to greater damage, duration, or area of effect than would normally be possible, and more often spitting off unintended wild magic side effects). Beyond such happenings, this time of year has little greater significance to Mystra and her Chosen. However, Elminster has visited our Earth often, and is familiar with Yule celebrations and the more modern commercial Christmas. (So, to a much more limited extent, are Laeral and The Simbul and Storm.)

El has little use for presents and much of the foolishness associated with the etiquette of modern organized faiths of any sort, but it pleases his nature to do at Yuletide what he’s always done as a Chosen: help folk and support their belief in magic or strength of Sense of Wonder.

In other words, he gives gifts of food, unlooked-for aid, and spell-cast warmth and shelter to those in need in the bitter winter cold, AND enjoys playing a mysterious Father Christmas figure, especially if he can do small acts of magic observed by one or two beings at a time rather than large audiences, so he can foster a belief in magic in those observers (awakening awe in adults - - and teenagers who’ve just scornfully stopped believing in Santa Claus - - of our world, in particular).

He enjoys showing up wherever I am, late on the night of Christmas Eve/wee hours of Christmas morning, and letting me see his wink and wave as he works some small magic to awe a youngster. And downs something handy from my wine cellar or liquour cabinet, too.

So saith Ed.

A night or two late for this Christmas, but the Master of the Realms keeps up with his Candlekeep answers as best he can at this frenetic (both for writing and family celebrations) time of year.

love to all,
THO"

Delzounblood Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 17:13:55
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Aye and lets not forget our sponsers.....

The modern day characterisation of Santa Claus is actually a Coke image!!

Buzzzt! Incorrect! That is a modern myth. See this site: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

Incidentally, that's one of my fave websites. I can spend hours just clicking links on there...

You learn something everyday, I always belived in this, I was told by a college prof..

Delz
Wooly Rupert Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 17:05:51
quote:

Buzzzt! Incorrect! That is a modern myth. See this site: http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/santa.asp

Incidentally, that's one of my fave websites. I can spend hours just clicking links on there...
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 15:02:11
Fizban was Paladine, yes.
Delzounblood Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 14:45:02
He sounds a bit like FizBan who was Paladine if I'm not mistaken

Delz
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 14:24:04
That "old man" interpretation in DL doesn't exactly equate with the notion of Father Christmas however.
Zimme Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 13:49:32
hmm in dragonlance they got the old man in the white robes.. so the realms should have something too. Donno....the old netherese in the frayed robe ...something
The Sage Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 13:40:49
Last Christmas, a side-quest for my weekly FR campaign featured the "new" Hogfather:- http://www.au.lspace.org/art/kidby/xmsdth.jpg

'Twas Myrkul in disguise!
Delzounblood Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 13:28:18
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

In ancient European mythology (the origin of Yule or Yuletide), this holiday was a Solstice celebration with mystical connotations concerning the dead. Faerun has a winter holiday like that doesn't it? Anyway... here's a piece on Yule from wikipedia.

quote:
The confraternities of artisans of the 9th century, which developed into the medieval guilds, were denounced by Catholic clergy for their "conjurations" when they swore to support one another in coming adversity and in business ventures. The occasions were annual banquets on December 26,

"feast day of the pagan god Jul, when it was possible to couple with the spirits of the dead and with demons that returned to the surface of the earth... Many clerics denounced these conjurations as being not only a threat to public order but also, more serious in their eyes, satanic and immoral. Hincmar, in 858, sought in vain to Christianize them" (Rouche 1987, p. 432).

They stylised St Nick aka Santa aka Father Christmas in red and white and gave him the "traditional" image we see today, after taking the original santa myth from folk lore and religion!

Prehaps we could think up a new portfloio for a suitable god, so they can become a santa like figure in the realms?

Delz

WalkerNinja Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 13:21:38
In ancient European mythology (the origin of Yule or Yuletide), this holiday was a Solstice celebration with mystical connotations concerning the dead. Faerun has a winter holiday like that doesn't it? Anyway... here's a piece on Yule from wikipedia.

quote:
The confraternities of artisans of the 9th century, which developed into the medieval guilds, were denounced by Catholic clergy for their "conjurations" when they swore to support one another in coming adversity and in business ventures. The occasions were annual banquets on December 26,

"feast day of the pagan god Jul, when it was possible to couple with the spirits of the dead and with demons that returned to the surface of the earth... Many clerics denounced these conjurations as being not only a threat to public order but also, more serious in their eyes, satanic and immoral. Hincmar, in 858, sought in vain to Christianize them" (Rouche 1987, p. 432).

ShadowJack Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 12:51:49
Delz,

In the tome from Bastion Press, FAERIES, Bryon Wischstadt has statted St. Nick. I can not remember what name they use, maybe Father Christmas... So, give him a Realmsian name and as the realm of Faerie can access Abeir Toril, there you go...
Delzounblood Posted - 19 Dec 2006 : 11:15:47
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Not that I know of... But you could use Nicholas the Gift-Giver.

I havn't been on the WotC site for a while and hadn't seen that.

Maybe a mystical anthropormorphic personification for the Yuletide season should be written in FR Folflore!

Delz

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000