Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Thanks for the memories ...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
RevJest Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 03:22:44
Posted on Tue, Jun. 14, 2005

Dungeons & Dragons Illustrator, Minneapolis native, Dies
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - David Sutherland, the Minneapolis native and illustrator whose images helped lead the fantasy role-playing game "Dungeons & Dragons" to success in the late 1970s and 1980s, has died of chronic liver failure.

Sutherland died June 6 at his home in Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. He was 56.

A graduate of Minneapolis' Roosevelt High School, he trained as a commercial artist before serving as a military policeman in Vietnam in the late 1960s. After returning, he launched his fantasy-art career by widely distributing his while working odd jobs, such as making moccasins, said his sister, Trudy DeKeuster of Omaha, Neb.

A university professor involved with "D&D" development helped Sutherland find his way to Tactical Studies Rules, at the time an emerging Wisconsin publisher of "D&D."

Sutherland's illustrations include the famed scene of a dragon, a wizard and a bow-flexing knight on the first "D&D" boxed set that brought the game into the mainstream. Images on the covers of "Dungeon Masters Guide" and "Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual," were his as well. Sutherland also worked as TSR's artistic director, but felt more at ease doing his own illustrations.

After a Pacific Northwest firm bought TSR in the late 1990s and didn't rehire Sutherland, his career crashed. Recently divorced, Sutherland became despondent.

An auction of his memorabilia in late 2004 drew $22,000 and revived his spirits. The money was used for a trust fund for his daughters.

In addition to his sister and two daughters, Sutherland is survived by his mother and a brother.

A visitation will be held at 9 a.m., June 22 at Fort Snelling Memorial Chapel, with a memorial service at 10 a.m. A military burial follows at 11:30 a.m. at Fort Snelling National Cemetery.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 14:47:18
Hehe... you noticed . Yes, I like to think that my sagely abilities are still of the constants left in this universe.

zemd Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 14:42:11
I see that you didn't lose your accurency (my english need some improvement... accurency, don't if i use it well right now )
The Sage Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 14:31:18
quote:
Originally posted by zemd

What's a "chronic liver failure" please?

Zemd, try this:- http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-1019936726.htm
zemd Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 13:54:28
What's a "chronic liver failure" please?
SiriusBlack Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 12:33:29
Sad news. Thanks RevJest for letting us know about this loss.
Alaundo Posted - 16 Jun 2005 : 08:31:46
Well met

Sad news indeed I'm sure David made a very lasting impression on a vast majority of D&D fans with the key illustrations he did.

Thank ye for bringing this news to us, RevJest.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000