Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Anyone heard of Auppenser?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dargoth Posted - 03 Jan 2005 : 06:56:09

He listed as one of the dead gods in the Lost Empires of Faerun contents but I dont believe Ive heard of him (Im assuming hes a Monster god or one of Mulhorand/Unther gods?)
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jamallo Kreen Posted - 08 Jun 2005 : 07:14:30
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I'm curious as to how a god dies and no one grabs his portfolio...

Maybe he's just kicking up on his back, pining for the fjords?

Maybe he's not dead - he's just resting.

Neither dead nor resting. He's just weak, according to Lost Empires. He "still maintains a glimmer of awareness and a handful of devoted worshippers."

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Auppenser Jhaamdath wgah'nagl fhtagn."

edbonny Posted - 27 Feb 2005 : 18:22:23
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
[quoteIf one were to place Auppenser in the 2e Great Wheel cosmology, in which plane would you see him reside? As well, what about his realm?

Given his strictly neutral alignment, I would assume the Outlands.

I agree. In the Great Wheel, it would be the Outlands. It could be argued that Auppenser's hatred of tyranny could put his realm in a chaotic plane.

quote:

I would imagine certain factions within the githzerai ranks would see some validity in his worship.

The connection to the rilmani is a nice touch. Does this mean that Auppenser's domain in 2e may lie close enough (that can be allowed) to the Spire so that interaction with the rilmani occurs on a frequent basis? Do the rilmani see the ways of Auppenser as necessary to the maintainence of the Balance?

I could see a fair number of psioinic-wiedling githzerai worshipping Auppenser, or at least paying homage to the god.

As for being close to the Spire, I would tend to doubt it would be too close. I do not see any powerful deity deliberately hampering their powers simply because they live closer to their allies. Auppenser could always send in a proxy or avatar to deal with the Rilmani. Although, if the realm is large enough part of it could extend into a rilmani held area?

I imagine the far-seeing Rilmani see Auppenser and his goals as another means to help them maintain the balance. Psionics is not as widespread a force in the planes as arcane/divine magic (so it seems) and so his presence is not necessary/critical to the health of the balance. I see the Rilmani being pleased he exists and stands for what they do, and that the two forces work well together.

- Ed
The Sage Posted - 27 Feb 2005 : 16:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by edbonny

Here is the write-up I did for Auppenser:

A grand write-up Ed. Thank you .

quote:

Auppenser
Home Plane: Dweomerheart
Realm: The Tranquil Grounds

If one were to place Auppenser in the 2e Great Wheel cosmology, in which plane would you see him reside? As well, what about his realm?

Given his strictly neutral alignment, I would assume the Outlands.

quote:

His planar allies consisted of rilmani...

I would imagine certain factions within the githzerai ranks would see some validity in his worship.

The connection to the rilmani is a nice touch. Does this mean that Auppenser's domain in 2e may lie close enough (that can be allowed) to the Spire so that interaction with the rilmani occurs on a frequent basis? Do the rilmani see the ways of Auppenser as necessary to the maintainence of the Balance?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 23:15:16
quote:

quote:

That's a good write-up... Too bad it didn't make it into the book. I particularly like the way it explains the dearth of psionics in the Realms... The fact that Mystra put Auppenser into a magical slumber from which he is now awakening is a great touch, too. This is one deity I'd like to see strengthen to the point he could rejoin the pantheon.

Did any of the other listed dead deities receive write-ups like that? I'd like to see a bit more info on a couple of them...

I believe that the dead deities section came as an later design addition they were never part of the original design. Auppenser was created and sent in after I had turned over my final drafts (because Jhaamdath being a uniquely psionic empire needed a unique kind of deity). None of the other dead deities, I believe, received the write up that I gave Auppenser.

- Ed

Ah, too bad... Thanks for anwsering, though!
Kuje Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 16:48:47
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Ok looks good

Do you mind if I repost it over on the FR forum over at WOTC? (A couple of people where asking for more info on Auppenser)

Sure. That would be great.

And can I keep that info in my files that has mostly info from Ed Greenwood but I also cut and paste info that hasn't been seen before from other game designers. :)
edbonny Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 13:48:27
quote:

That's a good write-up... Too bad it didn't make it into the book. I particularly like the way it explains the dearth of psionics in the Realms... The fact that Mystra put Auppenser into a magical slumber from which he is now awakening is a great touch, too. This is one deity I'd like to see strengthen to the point he could rejoin the pantheon.

Did any of the other listed dead deities receive write-ups like that? I'd like to see a bit more info on a couple of them...

I believe that the dead deities section came as an later design addition they were never part of the original design. Auppenser was created and sent in after I had turned over my final drafts (because Jhaamdath being a uniquely psionic empire needed a unique kind of deity). None of the other dead deities, I believe, received the write up that I gave Auppenser.

- Ed
edbonny Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 13:42:01
quote:

Ok looks good

Do you mind if I repost it over on the FR forum over at WOTC? (A couple of people where asking for more info on Auppenser)

Sure. That would be great.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 05:35:55
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

For instance: what is/was Auppenser's relationship with Murdane, goddess of reason and pragmatism, slain lover of Helm and possibly a fellow member of the Jhaamdathan pantheon.

Ooh, good question!
Gray Richardson Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 03:09:51
Splendid Ed!

Thank you very much for sharing that!

Now all sorts of plot hooks and questions start to form in my brain!

For instance: what is/was Auppenser's relationship with Murdane, goddess of reason and pragmatism, slain lover of Helm and possibly a fellow member of the Jhaamdathan pantheon.

And what if any relation does Auppenser have with Sardior, the Ruby dragon, celestial paragon patron of the gem dragons? (That is, if Sardior has a presence in the 3E Realms...)

Revered by blues, eh? Might that have brought Auppenser into conflict with Maglubiyet and the pantheon of Clangor? And Duergar? That could have made for some interesting tension between him and Deep Duerra in Hammergrim.

Auppenser is definitely going to figure somehow in future sessions of a campaign I am running where the players are currently adventuring beneath the hills of the Seven Lost Gods outside of Westgate!
Dargoth Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 02:51:07

One thing that was missing from LEOF is what Enchantment the Dead Gods clerics get when they Cast Weapon of Deity?
Wooly Rupert Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 02:44:16

Dargoth Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 02:04:36
Ok looks good

edbonny Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 01:56:51
quote:

Excellent Ed!

I only have one problem

Mystryl died in -339

Jhaamdath wasnt destroyed until -255

Therefore Auppenser would have had to have been put to sleep by Mystra 1.0

Very true. Consider it changed...
Dargoth Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 01:39:31
Excellent Ed!

I only have one problem

Mystryl died in -339

Jhaamdath wasnt destroyed until -255

Therefore Auppenser would have had to have been put to sleep by Mystra 1.0
edbonny Posted - 22 Feb 2005 : 00:10:15
Here is the write-up I did for Auppenser:

Auppenser
Intermediate Deity
Our Lord of Reason, the Serene One, the Master of Thought
Symbol: An eye centered within a hexagonally shaped gem
Home Plane: Dweomerheart
Realm: The Tranquil Grounds
Alignment: N
Portfolio: Psionics, serenity, personal autonomy, enlightenment
Worshippers: Blues, duergar, monks, psions, psychic warriors
Cleric Alignments: NG, N, CN, LN, NE
Domains: Balance, Mentalism, Protection, Psionics, Strength
Favored Weapon: kukri

Auppenser is a strong-minded deity given over as much to deep contemplation as he is to decisive action. The god of psionics possesses a calm demeanor, as one completely confident in his clear-thinking ways. He strives to uphold the Balance wherever psionics are involved. Worshipped by all manner of psionic beings, the fair-minded deity has long been an advocate of the magic within one’s personal being. In the days when Jhaamdath was expanding, the Lord of Reason served as the empire’s patron deity. He is an amicable god who took great pains to foster psionics in communities wherever his church took hold. Auppenser appears as a youthful, robust, raven-haired and purple-eyed man of lithe muscle and catlike grace. His wise face is framed by a peaceful expression of thoughtfulness. He dresses in a simple flowing robe of purest white.
History/Relationships: The deity of psionics was an aloof god who interacted little with the other deities of Faerûn. Auppenser pledged obeisance to Mystryl but in reality he was his own master who sought to free himself from the internecine politics of his godly brethren. His church was most powerful during the heady days of the Jhaamdath Empire, and it was that kingdom’s destruction that spelled the deity’s demise. Worship of Auppenser all but ceased in the years following the drowning of Jhaamdath, an event that would have sent the god to a certain death if not for the intervention of Mystra. Mystra, reluctant to let the mystical art of psionics such a terrible loss, placed Auppenser in a deep slumber from which he has just begun to stir.
The entire destruction of Jhaamdath coupled with the slumber of the god of psionics brought about a centuries-long decline in psionic practice. It is only recently that awareness of this forsaken area of magic has cultivated renewed interest in its study.
Dogma: Develop the latent abilities within you for that is your power alone. Psionics is the ultimate art of magic and you are its practitioner. Through lifelong dedication, strive to unite your will with your physical form to become one. Only through the unrestrained union of one’s mind and body can the magic of psionics truly be mastered. Throw off the yoke of any who would impose tyranny upon you. Likewise, do not ever force another to submit to your will. Free your mind, free yourself and you have only just begun the path to true psionic mastery. Free others, open their minds to the Invisible Art, and you will show them way to Auppenser.
Church and Temple: Auppenser’s clergy included clerics, monks and psionic characters of all types. Clerics of Auppenser were known as Psiarchs. Cloistered members of the church dwelled in temples and monasteries dedicating themselves to understanding the mysteries of the mind. Wayfaring psiarchs openly preached their lord’s philosophy of personal strength through psionic development and promoted discourse that explored the myriad abilities of the mind.
The church of Auppenser was well established throughout the Jhaamdath Empire although its organization was loose and not hierarchically structured. Each Jhaamdathan city boasted several large temples and monasteries while towns usually had a single, small center of worship. These temples were usually domed, colonnaded rotundas of white stone. Larger temples contained numerous private chambers for individual worshippers seeking solitude to pray, to compose one’s thoughts, and to seek divine guidance for greater enlightenment.
The church of Auppenser zealously opposed slavery, a pious belief that frequently brought the church faithful into conflict with slave-owning kingdoms, most notably Calimshan.
Prayers: Clerics of Auppenser prayed for spells in silent and unmoving meditation. This conservation of action allowed the mind to focus inward for greater personal introspection.
Rites: Followers of Auppenser selected a time of their own choosing for when to worship their deity. Each day at the same time, the follower was expected to pray and meditate. Failure to pray at one’s chosen time was considered not only a terrible lack of devotion but was also counted as a grave offense to Auppenser who values personal discipline.
Herald and Allies: Auppenser traditionally sent an amethyst dragon as his herald. The psionic god was known to bestow udoroot seeds upon his favored faithful. His planar allies consisted of rilmani and gem dragons.
Dargoth Posted - 17 Feb 2005 : 00:01:19
quote:

I am really curious to see what is going to appear in the Web Enhancement. So much more material was submitted than made it to print.

I'll write up the class and the domain and see if TPTB would like to publish it on the website. If not, I will just post it here.

And there doesn't appear to be any record of Auppenser in PS products. When I came up with the name last year, a google search did not reveal the name being used for anything (not that google is the end all for these things).

- Ed

Its an Adventure called Secrets of Imaskar

You know Im sorely tempted to restate Chahir or Lady Quallem (from COSQ) with some Psionic classes

I wouldnt mind seeing a Deity write up for Auppenser to

Dargoth

The Slave Driver
The Sage Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 15:41:53
quote:

Hey Sage if you find anything on Auppenser in your Planescape material feel free to share!

The information I found on the Mindshapers refers to a sect of monks who follow the ways of dead Auppenser. Apparently, they are active in both the Silvery Void, and the City of Doors.

quote:
And there doesn't appear to be any record of Auppenser in PS products. When I came up with the name last year, a google search did not reveal the name being used for anything (not that google is the end all for these things).

Indeed, I was incorrect before. The information I found was not in a PS tome, but rather online, which suggests that it's likely unofficial.
edbonny Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 14:04:47
I am really curious to see what is going to appear in the Web Enhancement. So much more material was submitted than made it to print.

I'll write up the class and the domain and see if TPTB would like to publish it on the website. If not, I will just post it here.

- Ed
Dargoth Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 05:14:47
quote:

quote:

Did you write the article?

No, I didn't. The class was also going to be accompanied by the Psionic Domain which did not make it into LEOF (and would have been a prerequisite for taking the prestige class). Now that Dragon is under new leadership which is looking for flavorful crunch, perhaps I should suggest it again.

- Ed

Or try and hit WOTC up for a LEOF Web Enhancement.......
edbonny Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 05:03:46
quote:

No, I didn't. The class was also going to be accompanied by the Psionic Domain which did not make it into LEOF (and would have been a prerequisite for taking the prestige class). Now that Dragon is under new leadership which is looking for flavorful crunch, perhaps I should suggest it again.

- Ed
Dargoth Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 04:03:19
quote:

quote:

Also any idea what Auppensers speciality priests are called?

Priests of Auppenser are called Psiarchs. I petitioned Dragon for a short prestige class article on them nearly a year ago but was alas turned down as a class based on psionics + Realms was considered too offbeat for the main readership.

- Ed

edbonny Posted - 16 Feb 2005 : 03:48:46
quote:

Also any idea what Auppensers speciality priests are called?

Priests of Auppenser are called Psiarchs. I petitioned Dragon for a short prestige class article on them nearly a year ago but was alas turned down as a class based on psionics + Realms was considered too offbeat for the main readership.

- Ed
Dargoth Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 06:21:04

Hey Sage if you find anything on Auppenser in your Planescape material feel free to share!

The Sage Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 04:27:07
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

So I take it Lost Empires of Faerun is the only reference to Auppenser?

Only reference so far. He was created for the newly 'sexed up' Jhaamdath (personally, I like the psionicist angle). As for his specialty priests, hmmm no idea. Mindlords?

-- George Krashos

There's something in an old PS tome about the mindshapers of Auppenser. I wonder whether they have anything to do with this.

I'll have to research that particular reference properly before I add anything further.
Lysander Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 04:07:13
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Either way, he's got beautiful plumage.

I believe you are thinking of Jazirian.

Or Monty Python. :) I'm gonna get smacked with Big Al's stick for this!

Now, that just sounds wrong.
Either way, I don't think Auppenser can be returned to active service just by waiving a stick. Unless it's the Pen of Ed. Or the Hooded One.
Kuje Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 02:25:22
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Or Monty Python. :) I'm gonna get smacked with Big Al's stick for this!
Gray Richardson Posted - 15 Feb 2005 : 01:16:03
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Dargoth Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 22:57:41
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

quote:

Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh! Someones done the work for me!

Does this not scream a Prc for Cleric of Auppenser my fellow scribes?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b

Looks a little more powerful then what you first was planning. It certainly can work, though I do worry about increase both psionic and divine ability each level as powerful (perhaps too powerful).

Yeah but it looks like Wotc are "powering up 3ed" this is the third Class were theyve done where you get +1 Caster level in 2 class each level of the Prc

Mystic Theurge
Psionic Theurge
True Necromancer
Wooly Rupert Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 22:37:17
quote:

quote:

quote:

Kentinal Posted - 14 Feb 2005 : 20:49:34
quote:

Ohhh Ohhh Ohhh! Someones done the work for me!

Does this not scream a Prc for Cleric of Auppenser my fellow scribes?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040925b

Looks a little more powerful then what you first was planning. It certainly can work, though I do worry about increase both psionic and divine ability each level as powerful (perhaps too powerful).

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000