Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Monster Names for Themselves

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Seethyr Posted - 15 Jan 2021 : 23:07:52
I was recently writing something up on the Land of the Insect Men (from FMQ1 City of Gold) and realized how silly it would be for the thri-Kreen who live there to say they live in, well, the land of the insect men. I had to homebrew a name for it instead.

That sent me down the rabbit hole of thinking about what creatures call themselves when their names are frankly a holdover from 1970s monster naming conventions. One perfect example is of course mind flayers being illithid. I am more interested in more obscure lore like how I believe Ed Greenwood (I believe) said that displacer beasts call themselves dirlagraun if they call themselves anything at all.

Are there others like that? I mean, even “beholder” is a bit hokey in a way, but less so than others of the past. Anyone remember the adherer from the old Fiend Folio? Any creatures whose names irritate you a little?

Just think, by the way, how much greater svirfneblin is better than deep gnome...
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Lord Karsus Posted - 16 Jan 2021 : 21:42:58
-According to I, Tyrant, Hive Mothers are called "Kawahak Kru" (Spawner Boss). Since so much of Beholder mythology/society is based on them being perfect and spreading their perfect genes, maybe they call themselves the Spawners (Kawahakk?)?
sleyvas Posted - 16 Jan 2021 : 01:13:37
quote:
Originally posted by Seethyr

I was recently writing something up on the Land of the Insect Men (from FMQ1 City of Gold) and realized how silly it would be for the thri-Kreen who live there to say they live in, well, the land of the insect men. I had to homebrew a name for it instead.

That sent me down the rabbit hole of thinking about what creatures call themselves when their names are frankly a holdover from 1970s monster naming conventions. One perfect example is of course mind flayers being illithid. I am more interested in more obscure lore like how I believe Ed Greenwood (I believe) said that displacer beasts call themselves dirlagraun if they call themselves anything at all.

Are there others like that? I mean, even “beholder” is a bit hokey in a way, but less so than others of the past. Anyone remember the adherer from the old Fiend Folio? Any creatures whose names irritate you a little?

Just think, by the way, how much greater svirfneblin is better than deep gnome...

Yeah, this is exactly why I gave my "Anchorome Hybsils" the name anikiwah.

One that irritates me is "dragonborn", but I know there IS another name they call themselves... I just can't recall it.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000