Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Purple Dragon Knight Organization (3.5)

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 29 Sep 2020 : 11:30:44
So I was going through my old files and came across this old PDF of mine. It uses the Organization Rules for 3.5 (found in the Player's Handbook 2 and Dungeons Masters Guide 2) and puts into rank the benefits one gets from gaining ranks within their military. I initially thought I put it down somewhere here but my Search came up with nothing. So here it is, feel free to use it as your leisure. If someone does find this same thing, you can delete it.

Purple Dragon Knights

Symbol: Even though noble families of Cormyr have their own device for heraldry and crest, those who also assume specific rank of the purple dragons fly the national symbol of Cormyr, a Rampant Purple dragon on a white field.

Background, Goals, and Dreams: The knights of the Purple Dragon are the core military might of Cormyr. Their background dates to as far back as when the nation was created. Their goals is to maintain order and law within the boundaries of the Forest Kingdom and to fight threats, both from outside as within, to the death if need be. Dreams of the Purple Dragons are to elevate the Forest Kingdom to its highest potential and continue to further its endeavors.

Members: Many members of the Purple Dragons are crusaders, fighters, knights, paladins, and rangers; many of these eventually take levels in the Purple Dragon Knight prestige class (see Compete Warrior or Player’s Guide to Faerûn). Mortality is moderate among the membership of this combative affiliation, especially along the boarders in the North and patrolling the roads near Sembia, and as such the Purple Dragons are always looking to induct new members of strong national patriotism.

Members of the Purple Dragons must be physically fit (no one with Strength or Constitution scores below 10) and have heritage from Cormyr or a significant knowledge of the land and laws of Cormyr. Members may be required to relocate to any area within Cormyr’s boarders based on need of troops and disputes. Any member who breaks rank, does not live up to the standards of the military order, or directly disobeys command or Nobility may be subjected to court marshal and up to being stripped of any all rank, titles, and lands. Desertion is cause for immediate execution.

The leader of the Purple Dragons is none other than the Steel Regent, Alusair Obarskyr (female Chondathan Ftr 7/ Rgr 1/ Prp 2). She hates court life and gossip, preferring sort and to-the point discussions and dialogue.

Type: Government (standing army)
Scale: 12 (multiregional/kingdom)
Affiliation Score Criteria: The Purple Dragons function as a fully functional military organization and standing army of the nation of Cormyr. Those who are of the nation of Cormyr or who have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge [Local – Cormyr] or Knowledge (nobility & royalty) can earn affiliation. In additional to their national heritage or strong knowledge of the region, one must be non-evil and either be Lawful or Neutral in alignment.

Criterion                      Affiliation Score Modifier
One-Time
Character Level                        +1/2 PC's level
Base Attack Bonus +5 or higher                      +1
Crusader, Fighter, Knight, or Paladin               +2
Marshal, Ranger, or Scout                           +1
Has the Leadership feat                             +2
Proficient with medium or heavy armor               +1

Multiple Use
Purple Dragon Knight prestige class         +1 per level
Worked on behalf of Cormyr, protecting 
a village or civilians                              +4
Defeated a strong foe of the Forest 
Kingdom (any creature with a CR 10 or above)        +8
Is an outlaw    				    -2
Chaotic alignment				    -8
Retreats in battle				    -2
Commits a crime within the nation if Cormyr	   -10

Titles, Benefits, and Duties: To gain a new rank and its associated benefit, a member of the Purple Dragons must be recognized and vouched for by a higher authority of rank to an Ornrion, Battlemaster, Warden, or to the Steel Regent herself. The appointment to a higher rank is a quick ceremony held by the one who vouches for the member.

Affiliation
Rank     Score           Title: Benefits and Duties
0        3 or less       No affiliation
1        4 & 5           Sword: The nation of Cormyr recognize you as a soldier in the military. 
                         You have no authority of your own beyond the power to make arrests and 
                         challenge intruders while on duty. With experience as a mercenary, 
                         you’re granted the title of Telsword.
2       6 — 10           Firstsword: Commands a small group of swords (less than a dozen), 
                         can make reports, give testimony, and detain uncharted adventurers. +2 circumstance 
                         bonus to Diplomacy or Intimidate checks involving citizens and people of Cormyr.
3       11 — 15          Swordcaptain: Lowest rank of 
                         officer, serves as head of companies of soldiers. You can request a masterwork 
                         weapon of your choice or a divine potion of up to 3rd level1/week.
4       16 — 20          Lionar: Commands over one hundred soldiers, requisition from the Crown supplies 
                         for troops. You can requisition up to a three score of weapons (60), up to 3 masterwork
                         weapons, a score of chainmail suits, up to 2 suits of masterwork light or medium armor,
                         and up to 1000 arrows; in addition to food and supplies to support 100 soldiers for one
                         week.
5       21 — 25          Ornrions: Commands full brigades of troops, has powers to grant/strip rank 
                         or expel entirely – Purple Dragon officers against their fellows. Nobles with this 
                         title are called Constals. Gain +4 circumstance bonus to Diplomacy or Intimidate checks 
                         involving citizens and people of Cormyr.
6       26 — 30          Battlemasters: General officer, handle mobile troops in the field. Stationary
                         officers, protecting garrisons and fortificatinos are called Overswords. Gain a +1 
                         against enemies of Cormyr, or pose a therat to the Cormyr nation.
7       31 — 35          Warden: Wardship is given only by the Crown to different regions of the nation. 
                         Once per day, can cast Command, Greater as a spell-like ability (Caster Level equals 
                         character level).

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
cpthero2 Posted - 25 Oct 2020 : 22:20:56
Great Reader Diffan,

Fair enough. I had to ask. Thanks for all of your awesome work!

Best regards,

Diffan Posted - 25 Oct 2020 : 21:49:32
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Great Reader Diffan,

This is fantastic. Have you considered doing this with other militaries/organizations in the Realms?

Some that come to mind would be the Zhentarim, Thayan military, Rashemi, Theskan mercenaries, Pirates from the Sea of Fallen Stars, city-state naval members from Chessenta, and others of course.

This is great stuff for sure!

Best regards,

I have, though time has really limited me in my D&D endeavors. I suspect the Zhentarim would look a LOT like that of the Purple Dragon Knights, both in their abilities granted and tiers of Title (albeit with the Zhent names, of course).

Other ones, I honestly don't know too much about to go into great detail. For example, what does the Thayan Military look like Structure wise? Do they have titles and rank, if so what would they be?

There's quite a few different organizations in Complete Champion as well as the Player's Handbook II that I could convert to have a more Realms-based feel and narration. Perhaps I'll work on converting those hmm.....
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Oct 2020 : 22:17:28
Great Reader Diffan,

This is fantastic. Have you considered doing this with other militaries/organizations in the Realms?

Some that come to mind would be the Zhentarim, Thayan military, Rashemi, Theskan mercenaries, Pirates from the Sea of Fallen Stars, city-state naval members from Chessenta, and others of course.

This is great stuff for sure!

Best regards,

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000