Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 New Novels????

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Christhoff Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 18:30:00
So is WOTC not doing Novels anyone for Forgotten Realms, I havent see anything New since the Sundering. Anybody know any news?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Caolin Posted - 20 Dec 2019 : 17:03:54
quote:
Originally posted by Renin

Hasbro doesn't do novels. Ed said during one of his Mages & sages interviews, that once it was known Hasbro bought Wizards, he had an editor say 'sorry about the novel line, Ed. It'll be gone in 6 months.'

And there were no future plans post Sundering. Yes thats the truth of it.

Sorry, but this is categorically false. WoTC (subsidiary of Hasbro) bought all the D&D IP in 1997 from TSR. The novel line strongly persisted until 2016 when it was finally ended (Salvatore was allowed to make his own publishing deal for his Drizzt novels). This is widely available knowledge.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_novels_in_order_of_publication

The reasons the novel line ended are really only known to the internal WoTC staff. But the general consensus has been that WoTC decided to tightly focus it's D&D IP to increase the games popularity among the general public....which it has succeeded at.

Unfortunately the general public doesn't consume the novels and source books like the base fans do, so they were jettisoned probably to never return in their previous form.
Lord Karsus Posted - 19 Dec 2019 : 23:18:59
-This is one of the reasons why I was always against the decanonization of the FR novel line, not that it ever was actually something WotC was considering. "Back in the day" we had a new sourcebook about once or twice a year or so, but got a new novel more or less once a month or once every other month. Regardless of the content and quality of the novels, they kept the world "alive".
Christhoff Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 01:27:23
Thanks for all the Information, Looks like IDW Publishing with Graphic novels is our only hope for stories. thanks everyone
George Krashos Posted - 11 Dec 2019 : 01:23:48
quote:
Originally posted by Christhoff

So is WOTC not doing Novels anyone for Forgotten Realms, I havent see anything New since the Sundering. Anybody know any news?

No and no news unless you like R A Salvatore novels - he's just published the second of a three-book Drizzt trilogy that WotC approved with an external publisher. That deal is not a precursor to the resurrection of the FR novel line.

-- George Krashos
Mirtek Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 22:30:02
Officially the novel line has been canceld in 2016. Hero was the last FR novel.

Then some time later they announced an exception, having outsourced another Drizzt trilogy that Seravin mentioned.

Technically those are not part of the FR novel line, but if it walks like a duck ....

Renin Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 22:29:12
Hasbro doesn't do novels. Ed said during one of his Mages & sages interviews, that once it was known Hasbro bought Wizards, he had an editor say 'sorry about the novel line, Ed. It'll be gone in 6 months.'

And there were no future plans post Sundering. Yes thats the truth of it.
Seravin Posted - 10 Dec 2019 : 20:39:43
There are a few Drizzt novels only now. The last one was called Boundless (book 2 of a trilogy), and the last one in the series could be..the last novel set in the Realms ever. Sigh.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000