Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Plot ideas for a 5e Cormyr campaign

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Diffan Posted - 04 Jul 2019 : 10:07:38
Greetings Realms fans!

So I'm running a new 5e game with a new player who's never played D&D before. Thus far he's done a great job of being creative and using all the tools available to him and thinking outside the box. He's playing a Shield Dwarf wizard and we're nearly done with the beginner adventure I adapted (I used the 3.5 Basic Set - 2004) and placed it just outside of Immersea.

Thing is, where to go from here? They briefly met the mayor as he was in a caravan that was Attacked by a young black dragon. He lost quite a few person possessions, including his signet ring. I'm planning on them gaining an Adventuring Charter as part of their reward for getting the ring back but it's murky from there.

Ideas for plot hooks, ideas around the area or suggestions on already made adventures for the region are greatly appreciate. I was thinking of converting Four from Cormyr but even that is for 7-9 level starting.
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Diffan Posted - 08 Aug 2019 : 21:54:15
quote:
Originally posted by Tyaralt

By 1491 DR I think the place would still be recuperating from the war and possibly needing adventurers to help the towns and the crown with several tasks the Purple Dragons lack manpower to handle. Ambitious nobles and merchants or other foreign powers may also have their eyes on the Forest Kingdom.

I'm currently running a 5ed Cormyr campaign timed just before the goblin wars, around late 1360s DR. So far I run then as a registered adventure band facing several small adventures around the Kingdom.

They started as a group of strangers drinking in the Lonesome Thankard Tavern in Eveningstar while the town was ambushed by Zhent soldiers who disguised thenselves as regular caravan guardsand smugled some goblins in their cargo. Usually such force would be unable to take the place, but they somehow attacked just when the local lord was away with most of the militia and also weren't noticed by border patrols. Fortunately the adventurers saved the local temple and aided many people, but were unable to stop then from looting the lords manor, the she mage Tessarim Winter.

Later they followed a group to the Haunted Halls of Evening Star where they stoped a Zhent mageling from using a portal to teleport away with their loot, facing a good and old dungeon crawl. From this unlikely beguining they ended up regitering as the Company of the Star adventure group in Arabel, running after future feats.

Since then they:

- were hired by Tymora's high priest in Arabel Darmos Lauthir to rescue one of his clerics who went out adventuring without a license in Tyrluk. The youth had assembled a group of local farmhands wannabes adventures who went on to explore local caverns and were promptly imprisoned by a formidable giant spider who had they weaved in cocoons and stored as food for its spawn. The Company of the Star actually managed to rescue some of then alive, including the cleric, and also found and looted the tomb of a local legend, the bandit Blue Blade.

- Just yesterday they took a bounty and hunted some manticores in the village of Bospir and got hired by the Red Ravens mercenary company to join then in batling border raiders (orcs) in the Stonelands.

I usually throw some hooks and let the group decide what they want to do in the next session, some other ideas I had thus far include:

-guard caravans for the Seven Coffers Merchant Coster and be raided by bandits/slavers, having some cargo stolen and having to retrieve it from their stronghold in the Stonelands.

-take a comission to capture griffons in the Thunder Peaks, who knows what kind of ruin they may stumble there !

-Pirate Hunting in the Dragonmere/ Sea of Fallen Stars

-Expedition to netherese/ sucessor kingdons ruins in the Anauroch

- if you look for older maps of the kingdom there several location that may make good dungeon delves such as Castle Kiriag, The Well of the Dead , the Forgotten Keep, Hullack Forest and the Vast Swamp.

Hope any of these may help

That sounds really awesome, I like the episodic approach - which there seems to be a bunch of small fires for them to put out but nothing like an overarching meta-plot.

As for the Cormyr Campaign, alas I think it's being put on hiatus. Some want to further the 5E Ravnica game while a few others want to continue the 4E campaign. And I'm working on my own game world too. But these suggestions are going to help immensely when I divulge from Adventure Paths from the 4E game.
Tyaralt Posted - 07 Aug 2019 : 18:17:53
By 1491 DR I think the place would still be recuperating from the war and possibly needing adventurers to help the towns and the crown with several tasks the Purple Dragons lack manpower to handle. Ambitious nobles and merchants or other foreign powers may also have their eyes on the Forest Kingdom.

I'm currently running a 5ed Cormyr campaign timed just before the goblin wars, around late 1360s DR. So far I run then as a registered adventure band facing several small adventures around the Kingdom.

They started as a group of strangers drinking in the Lonesome Thankard Tavern in Eveningstar while the town was ambushed by Zhent soldiers who disguised thenselves as regular caravan guardsand smugled some goblins in their cargo. Usually such force would be unable to take the place, but they somehow attacked just when the local lord was away with most of the militia and also weren't noticed by border patrols. Fortunately the adventurers saved the local temple and aided many people, but were unable to stop then from looting the lords manor, the she mage Tessarim Winter.

Later they followed a group to the Haunted Halls of Evening Star where they stoped a Zhent mageling from using a portal to teleport away with their loot, facing a good and old dungeon crawl. From this unlikely beguining they ended up regitering as the Company of the Star adventure group in Arabel, running after future feats.

Since then they:

- were hired by Tymora's high priest in Arabel Darmos Lauthir to rescue one of his clerics who went out adventuring without a license in Tyrluk. The youth had assembled a group of local farmhands wannabes adventures who went on to explore local caverns and were promptly imprisoned by a formidable giant spider who had they weaved in cocoons and stored as food for its spawn. The Company of the Star actually managed to rescue some of then alive, including the cleric, and also found and looted the tomb of a local legend, the bandit Blue Blade.

- Just yesterday they took a bounty and hunted some manticores in the village of Bospir and got hired by the Red Ravens mercenary company to join then in batling border raiders (orcs) in the Stonelands.

I usually throw some hooks and let the group decide what they want to do in the next session, some other ideas I had thus far include:

-guard caravans for the Seven Coffers Merchant Coster and be raided by bandits/slavers, having some cargo stolen and having to retrieve it from their stronghold in the Stonelands.

-take a comission to capture griffons in the Thunder Peaks, who knows what kind of ruin they may stumble there !

-Pirate Hunting in the Dragonmere/ Sea of Fallen Stars

-Expedition to netherese/ sucessor kingdons ruins in the Anauroch

- if you look for older maps of the kingdom there several location that may make good dungeon delves such as Castle Kiriag, The Well of the Dead , the Forgotten Keep, Hullack Forest and the Vast Swamp.

Hope any of these may help
Mankyle Posted - 15 Jul 2019 : 21:45:11
There is a supplement in DMs Guild called Cormyr Land of the Purple Dragon that could help you to describe the country.
Zeromaru X Posted - 14 Jul 2019 : 16:09:29
Oh, I didn't see your reply before, sorry.

In 1491, Cormyr should still be a post-war country. There should still be places haunted by the war with Netheril, and that stuff. Even a few Netherese remnants snd such.
Diffan Posted - 04 Jul 2019 : 21:45:19
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

In what point of the timeline are you playing?

Sorry, we're using the current timeline, 1491 DR.
Zeromaru X Posted - 04 Jul 2019 : 17:51:06
In what point of the timeline are you playing?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000