Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Zentharim town intrigue

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 16 Apr 2019 : 13:57:59
Hello, I'm planning a side session for 2 of my players and I'm a bit afraid of overwhelming myself with the quest so here am I seeking advice.

(context : drow ranger + half orc paladin of Tyr,low level)

My idea was to have my paladin being "called" by its god to right some wrong in a small town controlled by the Zentharim. The problem is, I don't think that the local Zentharim would allow someone else to meddle in their affair.

I'd really like to create for them a "detective" quest where they need to find clue to acquit someone. (related to the "justice" idea of Tyr).

Do you think it's manageable to conciliate both? I could always lose the Zentharim part but I thought it would be great to introduce them to faction with them.

And for the "right to wrong" do you have idea? advice? I fear to do something too tricky for them to succeed or too basic that they are bored :(

Thanks in advance
9   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Khaelieth Posted - 25 Apr 2019 : 09:58:01
quote:
Originally posted by Carter7Gindenv

quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth

I would suggest looking up the Alexandrian's three clue mystery article! It's great advice for running mysteries and detective stories.

Thx the article is awesome. I think that "giving" clues are not a bad thing. Players still need a "push" once in a while to keep the motion.

quote:

Maybe have the drow ranger falsely accused of something? His vision of having to right a wrong is actually the future that they themselves trigger.

That's interesting even though the problem would be, how to keep the drow PC playing? But I'll keep it in the back of my mind.

Have them post bail or simply run from the law. I know it might be against the Paladin's rules, but protecting the innocent is a way around it, especially if the villagers want him dead.
n/a Posted - 24 Apr 2019 : 16:12:47
quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth

I would suggest looking up the Alexandrian's three clue mystery article! It's great advice for running mysteries and detective stories.

Thx the article is awesome. I think that "giving" clues are not a bad thing. Players still need a "push" once in a while to keep the motion.

quote:

Maybe have the drow ranger falsely accused of something? His vision of having to right a wrong is actually the future that they themselves trigger.

That's interesting even though the problem would be, how to keep the drow PC playing? But I'll keep it in the back of my mind.
Khaelieth Posted - 24 Apr 2019 : 13:15:31

The Masked Mage Posted - 18 Apr 2019 : 12:47:38
I'd recommend reading the old Drizzt books for info on that... in Streams of Silver (I think - I read it like 25 years ago) he is shunned from Silverymoon because he's drow.
n/a Posted - 17 Apr 2019 : 13:20:28
Thank you it's really a good idea to move down a notch the zentharim presence especially if i'm already dealing with two PC who have negative reaction from the population. I suppose that if the town is on a commercial road people are kind of used to seeing weird traveler (except drow, everyone hate drow)

I must say, racism in faerune is sometimes hard to get right when you use the dnd games like baldur's gate, icewind dale and neverwinter night as a reference. You walk into a town like neverwinter and nobody raise an eyebrow when they see a half-orc and a kobold teaming up. Badies are like "meh as long as you work for us", merchant are "meh as long as you pay" and church people are "meh as long as you don't pray cyric or bane inside". Yet it is a general feeling that every race hate every other race... and other town.... and other people who don't wear the same socks. I mean it's weird, in dnd adventurer are everywhere. Merchant comes from every horizon and yet everyone is supposed to hate on sight. (except for drow, I mean they are like 95% of the time badies so it's normal to hate them)

Ok enough ranting. Thanks a lot for the ideas!

ps : (for the people who wonders for the halforc paladin, he was actually a fighter who really really really wanted to be a paladin even though the church disliked him for being a half orc. So he went "screw it i'm gonna do good stuff anyway" until ultimately Tyr was like "hey you nice, here's some holy spells for you")
Demzer Posted - 17 Apr 2019 : 12:18:40
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

But a drow/orc Paladin of Tyr? That's like a walking talking "kill me now ask questions later" neon sign..

From what I've understood it's two different characters: a drow ranger and an half-orc paladin of Tyr. The drow might want to go around with hood on and the half-orc is not necessarily of the beastie type with overgrown tusks and full green skin (it's only half orcish after all).

Anyway I echo the proposal of switching from "Zhent controlled" to "Zhents are making inroads and planning to take over" and that's what the players have to stop. Make it happen in a smallish town/hamlet on some local trade route so there is no need to have a huge Zhent army or powerful agents involved, the players have reasonable chances of success but eventually (but not immediately as it's not a high priority target) the Zhents will note someone stopped them there and will mark the players as enemies/dangerous competitors.
The Masked Mage Posted - 17 Apr 2019 : 11:02:08
But a drow/orc Paladin of Tyr? That's like a walking talking "kill me now ask questions later" neon sign..
Dalor Darden Posted - 16 Apr 2019 : 23:03:56
Half-Orcs are accepted in many human lands; even Cormyr.

The drow will get some knickers knotted up though.

I'd echo the idea of going with a town not entirely under their control; but if you decide that is what you want to do, it will make it easier for a drow and half-orc to mingle...though the drow is still going to be watched carefully.
The Masked Mage Posted - 16 Apr 2019 : 19:09:21
The simple fix is to change your premise from a town "controlled" by the Zhentarim to one that may fall to their control. This takes them out of a position of authority and makes them work in the shadows. This is the state of things in most towns with a Zhentarim presence. In such a case I would make a hidden temple of Bane, several villainous merchants, at least one of whom is a Zhentarim mage in disguise, as well as all their henchman.

I don't get the drow/half orc paladin thing, but then I'm old school (when you couldn't do that race and only humans could be paladins for the most part) so whatever blows your skirt up. However, I'd argue that it would take a hell of an event to make a half-drow half-orc anything be more trusted by the people of a community than the Zhentarim. Much more likely there would be pitchforks and torches being wielded by the commoners against Tyr's strange champion forcibly expelling him from the town.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000