Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dragonborn clans Realmslore

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 03:14:27
Some weeks ago, Erin M. Evans shared these diagrams with me on Twitter. She says those aren't canon, that are from her home campaign. But coming from her, for me this as canonical as any material from her novels.

To clarify, Erin is not the artist who drew these diagrams. She just added the piercings. Credits for this delightful dragonborn art to the artist who drew them.

Anyways, in the Brotherhood of the Griffon (BotG) and the Brimstone Angels (BA) series (the main sources for dragonborn lore in the Realms), we learn that the Vayemniri (the dragonborn of Tymanther) use special piercings to show their clan allegiancies. Those piercings are really important for them, are marks of their devotion to their clan's honor. Dragonborn that are exiled from their clans lose honor and thus are stripped from their right to use such piercings and their clan names (poor Mehen, really).

Anyways, here is the link:

https://twitter.com/erinmevans/status/1101238144677031936?s=20

Link to imgur
http://imgur.com/a/aUnz5kC

After she shared this with me, I did a quick reading of the relevant novels to get all the Realmslore about the clans depicted there.

Verthisathurgiesh is one of the main clans in the BA series. Is the clan the dragonborn protagonist, Mehen, is a member of. Its basically one of the oldest dragonborn clans, if not the oldest. They took their name from the Battle of the Crippled Mountain (Verthisathurgiesh literally means "Crippled Mountain" in draconic), the decisive battle were the dragonborn slaves from Laerakond won their freedom in ages past. Once one of the most powerful clans, now in decline because the former patriarch was an abusive tyrant that destroyed the clan's reputation. The current matriarch is trying hard to restore the clan's good standing, but that isn't an easy task. Verthisathurgiesh are the guardians of an artifact known as the Eye of Blazing Rorn (seems to be related to the primordial Rorn of the Rages), that can create heat-waves powerful enough to kill a great wyrm red dragon that was for all intents and purposes the most powerful dragon of Abeir of his time (his title was the Tyrant of Tyrants). Thanks to Mehen, the dragonborn gained a reputation of honorable and skilled warriors in Cormyr (as Mehen was the bodyguard of Brin, the fiance of princess Raedra -- currently Queen-- in Fire in the Blood), and now all Cormyrian nobles want a dragonborn bodyguard (and a tiefling lover... Don't ask. Go read the novel if you want to know. Full of quality Realmslore about Cormyr).

Daardendrien is the clan of the dragonborn protagonists of the first novels of the BotG series, Medrash and Balasar. The Daardendrien are one the most powerful and influential clans of Tymanther, renowed for their physical prowess and battle accumen (to the point they are compared to Chessentans in their obsession with sports, military strategy and their love for battle in general). They are also the only known major clan that encourages dragonborn to worship the gods (though only because they see the gods as useful allies rather than supreme beings), making them to be looked down upon by the more traditionalist clans, that mistrust the gods because they believe the gods are not unlike the dragon tyrants or the Dawn Titans of Abeir.* Daardendrien is the only dragonborn clan that is famous across the Realms (because of Medrash and Balasar's victories in the dragon war of 1479 DR - heck, those two were vital to kill Skuthosiin, Gestaniius, Tchazzar, Alasklerbanbastos and a few other powerful dragons around the Sea of Fallen Stars).

Prexijandilin is one of the minor clans from the BotG series. There is not much lore about them. We only know that they are among the most warlike dragonborn clans, something ironic seeing that their clan symbol is a flower. It seems that by 1486 they became an important clan, as they got the command of the military forces of Djerad Kethendi (as per the Devil You Know).

Linxakasendalor is another minor clan from the BotG series. There is no lore about them. In Whisper of Venom is said they have both piercings on their left cheek, so I guess their diagram here is non-canon.

Kepeshmolik is another main clan from the BA series, and is another of the older and most powerful clans of Tymanther. Basically, they are the founders of Tymanther, as it was a member of this clan, Thymara, who re-founded Djerad Thymar in Faerûn (Djerad Thymar means "Fortress of Thymara", in draconic). She was also blessed by Selûne, and some paragraph in Ashes of the Tyrant hints that she inherited the Black Axe of Nanna-Sin from Ningal (the genasi cleric of Selûne in the 3e FRCS). Their piercings are a reference of their covenant with Selûne. Kepeshmolik is a really powerful and influential clan. I guess we can say that is currently the most powerful dragonborn clan. The fomer Vanquisher**, Tarhun, was a member of this clan. Dumuzi, the first cleric of Enlil after the Second Sundering and current wielder of the Black Axe, is also a Kepeshmolik.

Khotararirilim is a new minor clan, founded post-Second Sundering in the BA series. Is the only clan exclusively made up of Mulani humans. These humans are Untherites who rebelled agaisnt Gilgeam in The Devil You Know, and helped the dragonborn to defeat Gilgeam's demon army when he tried to conquer Tymanther. As a reward, they were allowed to become citizens of Tymanther with full rigths, on the condition that they followed Vayemniri traditions. So, technically speaking, they are Vayemniri even if they are humans and not dragonborn. Khotararirilim means "Enemies of Demons" in draconic.

Kanjentellequor is another of the minor clans from the BotG series. According to the novels, arcane spellcasters among the dragonborn were extremely rare in Abeir, becoming more common after they came to Faerûn. Yet their numbers are still quite few, and their arcane practices are so unorthodox that mages from other races would cringe only by seeing them (at least by 1479). Yet, they had potential to become really powerful spellcasters (in the novels, Ananta, a dragonborn wizard, was able to rival Brimstone --one of the dragons who beat Sammaster-- in a magic duel). I guess is because of their draconic heritage. While there are a few dragonborn mages in all clans, Clan Kanjentellequor is the one that has the most numbers of spellcasters among their ranks, making this clan one of sages and lorekeepers.***

Ophinshtalajiir is another main clan from the BotG. There is no much lore about them, sadly. We know they are old (their ancestors fought at the Battle of the Crippled Mountain, as per Ashes of the Tyrant), and that they have secret teleportation rooms in Djerad Thymar, so perhaps they were among the builders of the city?

Churirajachi is a minor clan from the BA series. There is no lore about them.

Yrjixtilex is another minor clan from the BA series. They are a clan of farmers, fairly unimportant but really big. They lost many of their numbers during the Second Sundering, as most of the lands where their farms were located where displaced to Abeir the last time Toril and Abeir exchanged lands. But, there are a lot of Yrjixtilex out there in Faerûn, so the clan is in no danger of dying. The current Vanquisher, Kallan, is an Yrjixtilex, raising the clan status a little bit. However, the most infamous villain in recent story, Nala (the Tiamatan priestess in the BotG novels) was also an Yrjixtilex (though she was exiled for worshiping a dragon god).

Shestandeliath is another main clan from the BA series. Is also one of the oldest and powerful clans. They own a lot of establishments in Djerad Thymar, have a lot of farms and ranches to breed the special Tymantheran warhorse, horses big and powerful enough to carry dragonborn in battle****. Shestandeliath seems to not have a stigma agaisnt the gods, as they didn't exiled Patrin after he became a paladin of Bahamut in the BtoG novels. But this can also be because they really hate Tiamat. Shestandeliath are the guardians of the powerful artifact known as the Breath of Petron, that can control elemental earth (althought using it is usually fatal for the user). Djerad Thymar (a fortress that awes even dwarven master architects) was built using the Breath of Petron. A few male Shestandeliath tend to use their chain piercings as fake, baddass beards.

Clethtinthtiallor is another minor clan from the BA series. This clan is relatively new (by 1486 DR -- although they are already active in Djerad Thymar by 1479 DR, as a member of this clan is featured in The Captive Flame)*****. They are also farmers and horse breeders. They also lost a few of their numbers during the Sundering.

Fenkenkabradon is a main clan featured in both the BotG and BA series. Few is known about them, but it seems the have a big influence in the dragonborn army.

Tlassian is a minor clan from the Living Forgotten Realms. They are farmers and staunch allies of Kepeshmolik. They also have gained a reputation of smiths of great skill. Ludovick, a Tlassian, studied under famous and skilled dwarven smiths and armorers in the Great Rift. Then he returned to Tymanther and made a name for his clan and himself. Ludovican armor is still highly sought after by dragonborn and dwarves alike.

There is an unnamed clan's piercing in Whisper of Venom. Kriv, one of Tarhun's wizards, has an onix ring in his left nostril. I guess you can give this piercing to one of the clan's from the 5e PHB.

There is another minor clan from the LFR that is not featured in Erin's diagram, Clan Jalt. This clan is in charge of Ruinspoke, the village where the regional adventures centered in Tymanther takes place, so its perhaps many people knows from the adventures. All this clan is made up of members of the Platinum Cadre, yet they are in good relationships with many clans, and the Vanquisher. Their clan piercing seems to be a copper dragon claw. Current patriarch is Jalt Tuanek, a very old dragonborn.

Clan Jalt is a puzzle to me, because it contraditcs way too much was its said in the novels about Vayemniri culture—however, such contradictions make sense as the adventures were published two years before the novels were written, and the novel authors (Erin and Richard Lee Byers) didn't took into account anything from the adventures for the novels' backstory. So, it may be necesary to some homebrewing to fix it and make it felt more like a Thymari clan (or if anyone wants it, I can provide my fixed version from my campaign).

The last LFR clan is Vkriss. Once a powerful clan, it fell into disgrace for its relationship with the cult of Tiamat. Currently a den of criminals. The adventure doesn't mention its piercing.

Piercings are gained after reaching biological adulthood, that for dragonborn is 10 years old (at that point, the body of a dragonborn has reached its full biological development).

Seems that farmers aren't required to use their piercings, not even as adults (guess the same applies to dragonborn who were born in another kingdom); Kallan, for instance, wasn't pierced until he was crowned Vanquisher. However, if they go to the Vayemniri big settlements, they are looked at as if they were aliens.

*Having said this, all the dragonborn of Tymanther do venerated the comatose Nanna-Sin as the hero who saved them during the Spellplague, and enshrined him in Djerad Thymar, claiming him "clan-kin to all dragonborn"; though they didn't understood that Nanna-Sin was actually a god, and were shocked when they discovered it during the Sundering Guess their views about the gods must be changing nowadays.

**The Vanquisher is the ruler of Tymanther. Is like a mix of dictator, monarch, general and a president.

***Of the clans that were named in the novels, Shestandeliath and Yrjixtilex are also known for having a fair share of arcane spellcasters.

****As a curious trivia, in the BtoG novels is revealed that horses are super rare, almost non-existant on Abeir. Dragonborn first meet horses when they came to Faerûn, and they fell in love at first sight with them. The Tymantheran warhorse is known as Ishen-Charac in Aklave.

*****Uadjit (Dumuzi's mom) said that recently (as of 1486) a group of dragonborn from Laerakond went to Tymanther to join up with the Tymantheran clans. As Clethtinthtiallor is a "new" clan, is safe to assume this clan is made up of Laerakondan dragonborn.

BTW, in the diagram the clan name is misspelled.

EDIT: minor grammatical corrections.

EDIT 2: seems there was a bit of lore about clan Ophinshtalajiir I was leaving behind.

EDIT 3: More info about Ophinshtalajiir.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zeromaru X Posted - 05 Apr 2023 : 04:09:12
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Zeromaru X, can you take a stab at breaking them down into individual words?

-- George Krashos

Here we go.

Canon (the translations have been given in the novels):

Verthisathurgiesh:
-Verthisa: Abeiran draconic, it's equivalent to "verthicha" in classic (Torilian) draconic. It means "mountain".
-Thurgiesh: Abeiran, from classic "thurgix". It means "crippled".

Kepeshkmolik:
-Kespeshk: Abeiran, from classic "kepesh". It means "storm".
-Molik: Classic, it means "skin, hide".

Erin Evans' canon (translations that are not given in the novels, but in Erin's Twitter):

Churirajachi:
-Churir: Abeiran, from classic "charir". It means "red". (Dragonborn use colors or metals to refer to the equivalent dragon species. A churir means a red dragon in this context)
-Ajachi: Erin Evans didn't actually gave me the actual meaning of this word, but seeing that the clan's name means "small red dragon", ajachi must mean "small" or some synonym.

Khotararirilim:
-Kothar: Classic, it means "demon".
-Ar: Classic, it has no actual meaning, but it's used to indicate something is related to a third party.
-Rilim: Abeiran, from classic "irlym", it means "enemy".

My homebrew (self-explanatory)

Daardendrien:
-Daar: A canonical female given name in the PHB.

-Dendrien: Legacy, memory.

Shestandeliath:
-Shest: Chains, bonds

-Andeliath: To bind or fuse something, an unbreakable binding.

Clethtinthtiallor:
-Cleth: Relentless

-Tinth: To soar

-Tiallor: Falcon, hawk

Myastan:
-Myas: Howl

-Tan: Ravine

Prexijandilin:
-Prex: Fragance

-Ijand: Flower

-Ilin: Garden

Nemmonis:
-Nem: Horn
-Monis: Broke

Norixius:
-Nor: A type of rope

-Ixius: Silk

Delmirev: Legion

Drachedandion:
-Drache: A place in Abeir (homebrew)

-Dandion: Ravager

Fenkenkabradon:
-Fenken: Unwavering
-Kabradon: Stagdeer
Zeromaru X Posted - 04 Apr 2023 : 18:42:45
I took a break from forums for a time, so I wasn't aware of your request, but sure. I'll do this tonight.
George Krashos Posted - 17 Oct 2022 : 10:25:59
Zeromaru X, can you take a stab at breaking them down into individual words?

-- George Krashos
Zeromaru X Posted - 05 Oct 2022 : 21:59:49
I cast raise death!

I just wanted to share something that was in my mind, the translation to Common of some of the dragonborn clan names that have a role in my home campaign:

According to Erin Evans, the clans are named for events related to the foundation of a clan.

Canon translations (the translations have been given in novels):

• Verthisathurgiesh: "Crippled Mountain" ; a reference to battle of the Crippled Mountain.

• Kepeshkmolik: "Storm Hide" .

Erin Evans canon (translations that are not given in the novels, but in Erin's Twitter):
  • Churirajachi: "Small Red Dragon"

• Khotararirilim: "Enemy of Demons"

My homebrew (self-explanatory )

• Daardendrien: "Legacy of Daar" (Daar is a female given name, so I guess the clan was named in honor of someone named Daar)

• Shestandeliath: "Binding Chains" (based in the clan's piercing)

• Clethtinthtiallor: "Relentless Soaring Falcon" (again, based on the clan's piercing. Unoriginal, I know)

• Myastan: "Howling Ravine"

• Prexijandilin: "Fragrant Flowering Garden

• Nemmonis: "Broken Horn"

• Norixius: "Silk Rope"

• Delmirev: "Legion"

• Drachedandion: "Ravagers of Drache (Drache is place of old Abeir)

• Fenkenkabradon: "Unwavering Stagdeer"

I'll update the list when I have more ideas.
cpthero2 Posted - 13 Sep 2020 : 22:51:17
Master Zeromaru X,

No sweat man. It's been a little crazy about the globe the last few months. I myself was away for a bit tending to things amidst this madness.

I think Tom is spot on with submitting this stuff to the DM's Guild. It's great stuff!

Best regards,

sleyvas Posted - 01 Aug 2020 : 17:14:30
Ok, my last two, and sorry for hijacking the thread a little

Dragonborn Cleric Draconic (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4558713) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Dragonborn Spearman Platinum Cadre (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4558636) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
sleyvas Posted - 01 Aug 2020 : 03:47:15
Dragonborn Fighter Clan Prexijandilin (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4558285) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jul 2020 : 16:29:37
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Wow, those 3D models are really good. Thanks for sharing them.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Is there any actual text in a product or something I can read if you know offhand? Sometimes there's a tip to them in the descriptions. Specifically thinking about Kepeshmolik, as moons are easy. The lance defenders should be pretty easy though if its just bat wings. I should be able to draw that in paint.net pretty easy to transfer in.

I had to check the novels, and maybe I left some stuff out, but here you have it.

Clan Daardendrien

quote:
The Captive Flame, chapter 7

Riding on the other side of Balasar, his black surcoat marked with the six white circles of Daardendrien but his heater shield bearing the right-hand gauntlet emblem of Torm, Medrash...

Clan Prexijandilin

quote:
Whisper of Venom, chapter 6

Medrash had always considered the flower an incongruous emblem for such a warlike clan...

The flower mentioned is a primrose.

Platinum Cadre

quote:
Whisper of Venom, chapter 11

Dozens of folk were marching toward the muddy training field from the place where Djerad Thymar rose like a broken-tipped blade against a cloudy sky. Several of them were carrying purple pennons with silvery dragon shapes coiling down their lengths.

Lance Defenders:

quote:
The Spectral Blaze, chapter 3

Still, it was easy to spot changes. Medrash carried the greatsword denoting high status and wore the batwing badge of the Lance Defenders.

quote:
Ashes of the Tyrant, chapter 10

The Lance Defenders barracks were thick with the musty scent of dragonborn and the acrid, dusty odor that could only be the bats up above them. The doors opened into a wide hallway, lined with smaller rooms. Dragonborn in scarred armor, each of them wearing a medallion emblazoned with a bat, strode from place to place, none of them bothering with Havilar or Brin.

Clan Kepeshkmolik

quote:
Ashes of the Tyrant, chapter 16

“No we don’t,” Ashoka said firmly. “Tell her we have fulfilled Thymara’s covenant, and we will honor her aid in our symbols.”

“I don’t talk to the moon goddess …” Farideh’s protest fell away in a helpless sort of way.

The goddess is Selûne, of course.

awesome, so platinum cadre has a "coiling" dragon image, and I'll google to find a primrose to see what it looks like. I may make a couple more variants with different weapons and shield models, or maybe just remix someone else's dragonborn that's standing... maybe make one that has packs/crossbows/quiver etc.. on the back too.
Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Jul 2020 : 07:08:08
Wow, those 3D models are really good. Thanks for sharing them.

quote:

Is there any actual text in a product or something I can read if you know offhand? Sometimes there's a tip to them in the descriptions. Specifically thinking about Kepeshmolik, as moons are easy. The lance defenders should be pretty easy though if its just bat wings. I should be able to draw that in paint.net pretty easy to transfer in.

I had to check the novels, and maybe I left some stuff out, but here you have it.

Clan Daardendrien

quote:
The Captive Flame, chapter 7

Riding on the other side of Balasar, his black surcoat marked with the six white circles of Daardendrien but his heater shield bearing the right-hand gauntlet emblem of Torm, Medrash...

Clan Prexijandilin

quote:
Whisper of Venom, chapter 6

Medrash had always considered the flower an incongruous emblem for such a warlike clan...

The flower mentioned is a primrose.

Platinum Cadre

quote:
Whisper of Venom, chapter 11

Dozens of folk were marching toward the muddy training field from the place where Djerad Thymar rose like a broken-tipped blade against a cloudy sky. Several of them were carrying purple pennons with silvery dragon shapes coiling down their lengths.

Lance Defenders:

quote:
The Spectral Blaze, chapter 3

Still, it was easy to spot changes. Medrash carried the greatsword denoting high status and wore the batwing badge of the Lance Defenders.

quote:
Ashes of the Tyrant, chapter 10

The Lance Defenders barracks were thick with the musty scent of dragonborn and the acrid, dusty odor that could only be the bats up above them. The doors opened into a wide hallway, lined with smaller rooms. Dragonborn in scarred armor, each of them wearing a medallion emblazoned with a bat, strode from place to place, none of them bothering with Havilar or Brin.

Clan Kepeshkmolik

quote:
Ashes of the Tyrant, chapter 16

“No we don’t,” Ashoka said firmly. “Tell her we have fulfilled Thymara’s covenant, and we will honor her aid in our symbols.”

“I don’t talk to the moon goddess …” Farideh’s protest fell away in a helpless sort of way.

The goddess is Selûne, of course.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 20:32:30
Just in case you'd be interested in it, posting it here as well, as I know a lot of folks aren't reading my other thread

Dragonborn Lance Defender (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4555519) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Dragonborn in plate armor mounted on a giant bat with a lance and shield (shield with bat wings).

Dragonborn Spellsword Aerial Cavalry (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4555761) by sleyvas is licensed under the Creative Commons - Attribution license.

Dragonborn in plate armor mounted on a giant bat with a nasty sword in one hand and a wand in the other.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 15:14:00
quote:

Tymanther doesn't has a heraldic, as far as I know, but the clans have. Seems related to their piercings. For instance, Daardendrien has 6 bone studs as piercings, and their flag symbol are 6 white circles in a black flag. Kepeshkmolik has the waxing/waning moon as their symbol, and there is a flag with a stag horn that I surmise should be Fenkenkabradon's.

As for the Lance Defenders, their symbol are bat wings, a la Batman I guess.

Zeromaru X Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 14:35:52
Tymanther doesn't has a heraldic, as far as I know, but the clans have. Seems related to their piercings. For instance, Daardendrien has 6 bone studs as piercings, and their flag symbol are 6 white circles in a black flag. Kepeshkmolik has the waxing/waning moon as their symbol, and there is a flag with a stag horn that I surmise should be Fenkenkabradon's.

As for the Lance Defenders, their symbol are bat wings, a la Batman I guess.
sleyvas Posted - 28 Jul 2020 : 13:57:53
Hey, Zero, to your knowledge, IS there any heraldic arms defined for Tymanther, Djerad Thymar, or the lancers? I'm making a 3d shield for the griffin cavalry of Waterdeep and thought it might be fun to make something to put on a dragonborn character and mount them on a giant bat.
TomCosta Posted - 27 Jul 2020 : 22:02:33
Sure thing George.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Jul 2020 : 03:22:09
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Nice stuff Zero. BTW, thanks for the shout out and feel free to poach freely from my old stuff or share it. You should consider posting on DM's Guild.

I don't seem to have that article Zeromaru refers to Tom. Care to e-mail it through to me?

-- George Krashos
TomCosta Posted - 27 Jul 2020 : 00:35:41
Nice stuff Zero. BTW, thanks for the shout out and feel free to poach freely from my old stuff or share it. You should consider posting on DM's Guild.
Zeromaru X Posted - 25 Jul 2020 : 01:13:31
quote:
Originally posted by cpthero2

Master Zeromaru X,

Have you submitted all of that information herein to Candlekeep for placement in a tome? It should be. That is really amazing work!

Best regards,

I'm really sorry I didn't saw this post before. But my idea is just share this for the people who may need help fleshing out their dragonborn characters and/or want to play an adventure/campaign in Tymanther. I do want contribute with a tome about Tymanther, though. But that would be a more organized document. This post is just full of disorganized factoids and trivia.

Anyways, I just wanted to update this topic with a "discovery" I made yesterday. It seems that Tymanther seems to be more advanced that other places in the field of engineering (according to the official article in Dragon mag for the LFR adventures in Tymanther). People from Tymanther even has access to a regional feat named "Thymaran engineer".

Also, according to Whisper of Venom, Tymanther has a burgeoning industry of glass making. I guess this gives the dragonborn access to stuff like magnifying glasses and telescopes.
cpthero2 Posted - 23 Feb 2020 : 21:12:49
Master Zeromaru X,

Have you submitted all of that information herein to Candlekeep for placement in a tome? It should be. That is really amazing work!

Best regards,

quote:

Oh, sorry. I didn't saw this post before. In my Realms, Clan Jalt is a new clan (as in, it was founded while on Toril, unlike many others than came from Abeir), founded some time after the foundation of Tymanther (so, some time after 1400 DR). The founders of Clan Jalt were exiles for being god-worshipers and wyrm-lovers -- if we go by canon, Bahamut was the first god that began to try to convert the dragonborn to his faith. At the time, the dragonborn were really old-fashioned and didn't understook the concept of gods, so for them "shackling yourself" to a being that wants you to do its bidding was a shame. Adding worshipping a dragon was scandalous.

The Vanquisher of the time was not happy with the prospect of killing a lot of her compatriots, so she opted for exile them instead. They were sent to the borders with Mulhorand (or High Imaskar, at the time), in a particularly dangerous place full of Untheran, Mulhorandi and Tymanchebaran ruins, to fend for themselves.

The exiles joined together and became known as Clan Jalt. They founded the village of Arush Harroshukriss (or Ruinspoke, in common) and thrived thanks to joining up with Mulhorandi survivors of the Spellplague, that helped them to create trade connections with the people of High Imaskar. For the Thymari, Ruinspoke was a backwater region were they sent some exiles and old soldiers for "retirement" (dragonborn that became undesirable for their clans, or crippled by injuries to the point they became a load). Some of them joined Clan Jalt. The clan had little standing in Tymanther because of this and for having many members that were also part of the Platinum Cadre.

Talking about the Platinum Cadre, in my Realms, the cell of the cult in Ruinspoke was more knowledgeable about the gods and stuff that the cell in Djerad Thymar. I mean, any member of the Platinum Cadre of Ruinspoke would have known the difference between Tiamat and Bahamut, unlike Patrin's cell in the novels. They also have more full clerics and paladins, and that stuff.

Anyways, by the time Tarhun became Vanquisher (in 1478, if we go by canon), Ruinspoke became an important source of income for the realm, enough for him to recognize it as part of Tymanther and give clan Jalt's patriarch (Tuanek) a seat in the council of Elders in Djerad Thymar and making Clan Jalt official, much to the chagrin of the other clan elders.

Zeromaru X Posted - 22 Jan 2020 : 00:44:15
Oh, sorry. I didn't saw this post before. In my Realms, Clan Jalt is a new clan (as in, it was founded while on Toril, unlike many others than came from Abeir), founded some time after the foundation of Tymanther (so, some time after 1400 DR). The founders of Clan Jalt were exiles for being god-worshipers and wyrm-lovers -- if we go by canon, Bahamut was the first god that began to try to convert the dragonborn to his faith. At the time, the dragonborn were really old-fashioned and didn't understook the concept of gods, so for them "shackling yourself" to a being that wants you to do its bidding was a shame. Adding worshipping a dragon was scandalous.

The Vanquisher of the time was not happy with the prospect of killing a lot of her compatriots, so she opted for exile them instead. They were sent to the borders with Mulhorand (or High Imaskar, at the time), in a particularly dangerous place full of Untheran, Mulhorandi and Tymanchebaran ruins, to fend for themselves.

The exiles joined together and became known as Clan Jalt. They founded the village of Arush Harroshukriss (or Ruinspoke, in common) and thrived thanks to joining up with Mulhorandi survivors of the Spellplague, that helped them to create trade connections with the people of High Imaskar. For the Thymari, Ruinspoke was a backwater region were they sent some exiles and old soldiers for "retirement" (dragonborn that became undesirable for their clans, or crippled by injuries to the point they became a load). Some of them joined Clan Jalt. The clan had little standing in Tymanther because of this and for having many members that were also part of the Platinum Cadre.

Talking about the Platinum Cadre, in my Realms, the cell of the cult in Ruinspoke was more knowledgeable about the gods and stuff that the cell in Djerad Thymar. I mean, any member of the Platinum Cadre of Ruinspoke would have known the difference between Tiamat and Bahamut, unlike Patrin's cell in the novels. They also have more full clerics and paladins, and that stuff.

Anyways, by the time Tarhun became Vanquisher (in 1478, if we go by canon), Ruinspoke became an important source of income for the realm, enough for him to recognize it as part of Tymanther and give clan Jalt's patriarch (Tuanek) a seat in the council of Elders in Djerad Thymar and making Clan Jalt official, much to the chagrin of the other clan elders.
Saracenus Posted - 16 Jan 2020 : 00:55:13
quote:
Clan Jalt is a puzzle to me, because it contraditcs way too much was its said in the novels about Vayemniri culture—however, such contradictions make sense as the adventures were published two years before the novels were written, and the novel authors (Erin and Richard Lee Byers) didn't took into account anything from the adventures for the novels' backstory. So, it may be necesary to some homebrewing to fix it and make it felt more like a Thymari clan (or if anyone wants it, I can provide my fixed version from my campaign).

I would be interested in seeing your fixes for clan Jalt.
Zeromaru X Posted - 11 Apr 2019 : 00:28:30
Finally, we are going to talk about Tymanther, the country (as of 1490+ DR)

Inhabitants
Tymanther is predominantly a dragonborn nation. The vast majority of the Vayemniri are descendants of the survivors of Tymanchebar, four or five generations removed, while a significant minority is composed of immigrants from other lands, mostly from faraway Laerakond (Returned Abeir); many of the Laerakondan dragonborn fled from the draconic empires there and wanted to join the Thymari clans.* Only a small percentage of the population still retains direct memories of their former homeland, and the stories of Tymanchebar are slowly passing into the realm of fable and myth.

The remaining of Tymanther’s population is composed of the descendants of the surviving original inhabitants of the region (mulani humans, gold dwarves and ghostwise halflings), who are openly accepted by the dragonborn, although they remain a small minority. Thanks to the dragonborn stance of accepting members of all races, even those feared and shunned in other societies, tieflings also are a notable minority in this country, as many migrate to Tymanther fleeing from less tolerant lands. A few elves also call Tymanther home, though they are rare enough to be considered oddities anywhere in the country.

Language
Vayemniri speak the Abeiran form of Draconic, known as Aklave. According to Ed, Aklave it’s not so different from the Torilian Draconic language, known as Glave; someone fluent in Glave can perfectly understand a person talking in Aklave and can read a text written in that dialect, and vice versa. According to Erin, aside from the pronunciation of some words, and a few new words the more social dragonborn created for day-to-day interactions, both languages are pretty much the same. Aklave words are softer and a little more nasal, and some have elongate syllables. Like Glave, Aklave uses the Iokharic alphabet.

Other languages spoken in Tymanther may include Common, Chessentan (as Chessenta is one of the main allies of Tymanther), Dwarven (Great Rift dialect), Halfling (whatever
dialect ghostwise halflings speak), Mulhorandi (as many people in the area still spoke it even before the Second Sundering), Primordial (the dialect the Akanûlans speak; one needs to know the language of one’s enemies), Untheric (thanks to certain clan), Roshoum (as Tymanther used to trade with High Imaskar, and it seems they still deal with Deep Imaskar and the High Imaskari survivors), and Shaaran (as they deal a lot with Durpari merchants).

*Guess most of the Laerakondan immigrants may be descendants of the Vayemniri who were left in Tymanchebar when the Spellplague ripped Djerad Thymar’s environs from Skelkor, and went to Tymanther to rejoin their former clans, or to create new clans among their people.

Geography:
Tymanther lies on the western shore of the Alamber Sea (Vorelheching Kethendia, the Beautiful Water of Gems), nestled between Chessenta to the northwest, returned Unther to the north and the newly recreated Shaar to the south and southwest. To the east, across the waters, lies the nation of Mulhorand reborn, whose border extends from the west coast of the Alamber Sea down the River of Swords (whose western affluent, the Blue Sword River, lays entirely in Tymanther) to Lake Azulduth (the Lake of Salt). West of Azulduth, Tymanther controls territory to Unthangol Pass, and then the border turns north to the Smoking Mountains and the Black Ash Plain. The Road of Dust (Ossa Chosk) connects Tymanther with Mulhorand to the east and with the Great Rift to the south.

Topographically, Tymanther is located in a region known as Menesankh (the Plain of Life), shared with Mulhorand and that once made up the southern regions of old Unther. Despite the fact that Tymanchebar was ripped from Abeir and thrown into Faerûn as a boulder during the Spellplague, this region is a relatively calm arid mesa-land of mountains and plains, full ruins both from ancient Unther and Tymanchebar. These are fertile fields that are irrigated by the rivers at the southern end of the Alamber Sea, most notably the River of Swords, the River Alamber (Kuhri Ternhesh, the River of Stone) and the River Angol.

After the Second Sundering, the land has been dotted with strange crystalline formations thrumming with powerful magic in those places were the land has mismatched patches of earth and grass. Some believe these crystals were transposed from Abeir during the last flare of Spellplague (Nightal, 1486 DR).

There are many herd animals the dragonborn and the other inhabitants of Tymanther raise for domestic use; the native animals include sheep, pigs, oxen, cattle, goats, and donkeys. Cats and dogs are common domestic animals. The dragonborn also cultivate a few varieties of ants and worms to eat. Many edible veggies are cultivated in the region, alongside lemons, peppers, tobacco, and the Abeiran charchuka (root-like, edible legume), pamjar, and thalsch (plants that exude an edible resin and can be used to make spices). Dragonborn don’t consume tobacco, but seems they export it.

Native monsters include a sizable population of kobolds (at least two tribes are known, the Skullbiters and the Kneekickers, who live near the frontier with Mulhorand, as per the LFR adventures), savage felines such as lions and panthers, canines such as jackals, and a great number of sphinxes, lamia, and their jackalwere minions living among the ruins of old temples and god-tombs. The Spellplague introduced a few kinds of creatures from Abeir as well, such as the slug-like scathebeasts (FRCG, p.272), the little pests known as zartails (FRCG, p.280), and a few Abeiran subspecies of drakes (that, unlike their Torilian counterparts, can breed true—a few of them can be domesticated; for more info about them, see the first 4e MM). Many kinds of dragonspawn of Tiamat are also common in the region (see Monster Manual IV, Dragons of Faerûn, and/or Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons for info about them).

Major Geographic Features (In alphabetical order):

Ash Lake (Kosjheching Vayemia, the Small Water of Ash):
One of the two lakes created by the division of the River Alamber during the Spellplague, Ash Lake is one the most important water routes of Tymanther. Many small, fishing villages can be found around its shores.

Black Ash Plain (Edarthi Vuthavayem, The Land of Black Ash):
An unforgiving land of spiraling, interwoven spires of black ash that move and re-shape themselves with the vagaries of the wind. It extends south from the Smoking Mountains as far as the River Alamber and the Ash Lake. There are no dragonborn or human settlements here. Brown dragons plague the area, and a tribe of black-skinned stone giants (locally referred to as ash giants), skilled in strange magic whose weavings twist and shape the surrounding landscape, lives on the eastern edge of the plains. The soil is not fertile, though ash from these plains mixed with irrigable soil has been known to increase the soil’s fertility.

The Greenfields: (Arushedarthi, The Green Land):
The soil of the Greenfields was enhanced by magic in ancient times and the rich waters of the rivers that cross it enhance its fertility. Because of this, this region is the breadbasket of Tymanther. Farmsteads and small farming villages dot this region, among the old ruins of ancient Unther and lost Tymanchebar.

Lance Lake: (Kosjheching Neria, Small Water of Lances):
The second of the lakes created in the region during the Spellplague. There is nothing about this one in 4e or 5e canon. For what it seems, the 5e maps don't depict this lake, so it seems it doesn't exist in the post-Second Sundering Realms.

Smoking Mountains (Vertichai Ixensjach):
Also known as the “Smoky Mountains” in the old days, the western end of this mountain range has active volcanoes, while the eastern end is dormant. Two volcanoes in particular, Mt. Fussel and Mt. Temmikant, erupt frequently. Near one of these volcanoes, a mysterious ruin known as the Gates of Burning Mountain can be found amid the rivers of lava, its adamantine gates sealed since it was found. Stories have it that a mad, entombed primordial transposed from Abeir during the Spellplague is responsible for the eruptions, though no one knows for sure.

Old dragons such as Guyanothaz (wyrm red dragon) and Maldraedior (great wyrm blue dragon) are known for having their lairs somewhere in the Smoking Mountains but are seldom seen, and the mountains are also home to pyrohydras, salamanders, and a few mercury dragons. A clan of “dream giants” (strange stone giants who mastered dream magic) from Abeir, known as the “Thousand-Dreaming Stone Giants” (Tusendraumren Steinjotunen in the language of giants) made their home in the eastern mountains after the Second Sundering. Although the giants are not officially allies of Tymanther, they share their enmity against Gilgeam, and help the Vayemniri in their war from time to time.

Plagueland (Edarthi Ulharisvaershthanash , the Land of the Blue Breath of Change)
To the south of the Greenfields, in the lands in between the Unthangol Mountains and the Blue Sword River, there was a violent plagueland during the Wailing Years. I guess that the proliferation of spellcasters among Vayemniri since their arrival to Faerûn can be because of this plagueland’s influence.

According to Ed, a few plaguelands still remain active even after the Second Sundering. As this plagueland was particularly violent, I guess is not so farfetched to assume this one is one of those that still remain in Faerûn.

Notable settlements:
Djerad Thymar (The Fortress of Thymara; Metropolis, pop. 50000 approx. as of 1487 DR):
The capital city of Tymanther, and the cultural nexus for the dragonborn on Faerûn. Djerad Thymar was built around 1400 DR (as one of the builder’s was Geshthax’s grandfather), fusing capital stronghold of Tymanchebar and the god-tomb of Nanna-Sin. Djerad Thymar is well known for its military schools on tactics, engineering, and unconventional warfare—particularly dragon-fighting.

A cyclopean structure, its pyramidal silhouette looms like a mansion of the gods on earth. The city’s lowest foundation is a massive block of granite that rises at least 200 feet above the surrounding land, the surface of which serves as Djerad Thymar’s lowest street level. Resting on this foundation are hundreds of massive stone pillars, each 50 feet in diameter, that support an enclosed, four-sided structure vaguely resembling flat-topped ziggurat. The combined height of the foundation, the pillars, and the ziggurat contribute to a structure that towers more than 1,500 feet into the sky.

While most of the population lives in the city proper, there are a lot of villages and farms in its vicinity, which are considered to be part of the city as well. During their first war against Unther, a huge wall of stone was magically raised to protect the city and the surrounding farms.

Djerad Thymar is described in the FRCG and the FRPG, and is fully detailed in the following novels: The Captive Flame, Whisper of Venom, Ashes of the Tyrant and The Devil You Know.

Djerad Kethendi (The Fortress of Gems; Port city):
The second city of Tymanther to date is relatively new (built in the earlier years of the 1480s DR decade). Built around three white pyramids, it was built on the southern shore of the Alamber Sea’s estuary. Djerad Kethendi is the heart of Tymanther’s trade with the rest of Faerûn, thanks to its access to the Alamber Sea. However, the city's location, just in front of Unthalass, makes Djerad Kethendi a constant target of the Untheran forces. The city is protected by the newly created Tymantheran navy and by Vivesh Nannari an immortal dragon turtle who once was the god Nanna-Sin.

The city is mentioned in The Devil You Know novel and the SCAG.

Ruinspoke (Arush Harrochukris, The Valley [where] Ruins Speak; village, pop. around 760 as of 1479 DR):
A small village near the frontier with Muhorand, this village serves as the headquarters for adventurers exploring old Untheran ruins. It’s surrounded by small farms and homesteads. Run by clan Jalt (one of the minor clans), this village was built as a “retirement place” for older dragonborn, and weird enough, the Platinum Cadre has a strong presence here (they make out most of its military forces). Besides the faith of Bahamut, the faith of Ilmater is strong here as well.

Because of its placement near the frontier, I guess Ruinspoke must have become an important trade outpost after the return of Mulhorand, and would have grown to become a bigger town. As one of the few places that openly worship the gods in Tymanther, I also guess that the Mulhorandi god-kings would be interested in using this town as the starting
point to introduce their faith into Tymanther proper.

Ruinspoke featured in almost all of Tymanther’s regional LFR adventures. Is also mentioned in the article “Adventurers of the Realms: Displaced Lands and Dire Frontiers” (Dragon 379), making it canon Realmslore.

Arush Ashuak (Green Valley, in common; village)
The main farming village in the Green Lands located near the southern beach of Ash Lake. It was growing exponentially in the early 1480s DR. By 1486 DR, it was said that it may become big enough to be considered a city any time soon. As the Vayemniri lost their northern lands following the Second Sundering, and have been relocating to the south of Djerad Thymar, I guess that by 1491 DR the place may indeed have become a city proper (changing its name to Djerad Ashuak).

Mentioned in Ashes of the Tyrant and The Devil You Know.

Arush Vayem (Ash Valley, in common; village, pop. around a dozen in 1487 DR)
A small village hidden amid the Smoking Mountains, it’s the home to outcast and Vayemniri exiles. Unassuming, it doesn’t even appear in any maps. The place was built near 1400 DR by Caysis the Vicelord (one of the Toril Thirteen, a powerful coven of warlocks that made the pact with Asmodeus that ultimately cursed the tiefling race), to hide a natural portal to a place in Abeir named the Dead Stone Mountains (Verthichai Loech Ternesh). This portal is still functional after the Second Sundering (though, in the novel its key was tied to Caysis himself, through his spellscar).

Featured in Brimstone Angels and The Devil You Know.

Based on the BRJ’s unfinished map of Tymanther, it seems that the town of Firetress may still exist in Tymanther as well (I guess, it would be home to the descendants of the surviving mulani of old Unther). If you use it in your games, a fitting draconic name would be Arush Ixencaesin.

A good 4th edition adventure site appropriate for Tymanther would be Ustraternes (the [Fortress of] Flying Stone), a ruined adventure site featured in the adventure “Remains of the Empire”(Dungeon 165). One should change all the references to Arkhosia into references of Tymanchebar, and voila.
Zeromaru X Posted - 30 Mar 2019 : 22:12:01
First, sorry for the delay. I was moving to another town and didn't had the time to compile this info.

With this out of the way, we are going to talk about funerary customs:

For what we know, they came to Faerûn with this custom in place: they have the ancestor story of Hazor and the Jet-Black Tyrant, and they built Djerad Thymar with catacombs (and one can assume, they built Djerad Kethendi in the same way). This tells us about an interesting facet of dragonborn culture: the dragonborn have a sense of an individual soul and its value (which makes this issue with their atheism and the Wall of the Faithless all the saddest*).

When mourning, a dragonborn dress in white garments and usually peacebond their weapons with white ribbons. They also pour white ash on their faces. This mourning can last for many days until a dragonborn seems fit to return to their usual garments. If the dead was a member of a high-ranking station (such as the Vanquisher or a commander or a clan leader), their offices are draped in white cloths until their replacements are elected.

Vayemniri funerals are somber ceremonies. Representatives of each clan are invited to say their goodbyes to the dead ones, to give the gratitude of their clans; even if a Vayemniri dies, their impact on the clans last forever. The dead are also dressed in white robes, missing limbs (if any) hidden. Representatives of the mourning clan (usually younglings) carry a caster of oil, pouring a bit of it in the other mourners’ hands, so that they can trace the eyes and mouth of the dead with the oil when saying their compliments. Finally, the dirge of the dead, a song of gratitude for the departed, is sing. In the days of Tymanchebar, the ritual was the same, but using blood instead of oil (so, perhaps the usage of blood is still a thing in Laerakond).

The dead are later mummified and interred in their clan’s private crypts in the catacombs. It seems that each bloodline within a clan has its own section in the private crypts (the catacombs are incredible big, built in the subterranean section of the city and planed to house a lot of Vayemniri’s remains for the foreseeable future… there are entire wings of the catacombs that are still unused and basically abandoned in Djerad Thymar). The crypts also have sections dedicated to house murals known as the “Rolls of the Lost”. Those murals have depictions of certain clan heroes as well as extensive lists of names of dead dragonborn, to pay homage to ancestors who died in Abeir, or the names of those dragonborn who died in Faerûn whose remains weren’t recovered.

During the Ash Day (no exact date given, but seems to be celebrated around Nightal), the Vayemniri conmemorate their dead ones with a public celebration on the Market Floor, with ritual dancings and revelry (dragonborn musicians seem to prefer mandolins, horns and drums as instruments), though an individual can go to pay respects to the catacombs any time they want.

*It seems that besides Bahamut, Enlil, and perhaps Tiamat, the other gods of Faerûn haven’t made Tymanther a priority. As gods gain more power and “realness” from worship, is weird that there is no competition for worship in Tymanther, with tens of thousands of potential worshipers that know almost nothing of gods and religious beliefs in general all waiting to be converted. A few dragonborn do revere gods of the Faerûnian pantheon, but these converts are a rare group without numbers to be considered even a minority.

This begs a question: are the Faerûnian gods holding off for some reason? Or are they racist or just picky? (“you’re not human/elf/etc, you’re not worth my attention”, or “you must come to me if you want an eternity, even if a need your faith to exist”). I guess one can argue that the gods are culpable, too, in the faithlessness of the Vayemniri.
Zeromaru X Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 08:46:41
Vayemniri and religious customs:

I’ve already talked about how the Vayemniri view the gods, but not yet about their "churches", is such a term applies to their so young religious cults.

The cult of Tiamat seems to be the most powerful and organized (cuz “evulz is kwel” and the evil gods always tend to be stronger in canon…). The cult of Tiamat is connected to a sect known as the Knights of the Five-Thorned Rose (LFR TYMA 1-4 “Death Before Dishonor”; a year 1 adventure, and so part of the LFR adventures that are considered canonical), a Tiamatan cult from the time of old Unther (Powers & Pantheons, p.136), currently related to clan V’kriss*.

The Cult of the Dragon also operates in Tymanther under the guise of the Abeir Academy, a vocational academy were dragonborn, usually those dispossessed looking for a new start, can learn useful skills skills (4e FRCG, p. 186; TYMA 1-6 “Troubled Roads”). While the first “layers” of the Abeir Academy are composed of good people trying to help their kin in need, the members of the leadership in the academy are exclusively made up by members of the Cult of the Dragon.

Currently, the cult of Tiamat is considered illegal in Tymanther (TYMA 1-4). Around 1450 DR, the cult of Tiamat tried to steal the relic of clan Shestandeliath and one of the national treasures of Tymanther, the Breath of Petron (According to The Devil You Know, it happened when the former patriarch, Geshthax—the father of Narhanna—was young; the guy is like 50 years old in the novel, that takes place in 1487 DR), and failed spectacularly at it. I guess this is the reason why the cult of Tiamat is illegal (and why clan Shestandeliath hates Tiamat so much). As of 1479 DR, the cult of Tiamat (or at least, one of its branches) was allied with the green dragon Skuthosiin. However, Skuthosiin was killed by Medrash and other dragonborn heroes that same year (Whisper of Venom), dealing a crippling blow to the cult in the area.

The cult religious practices are not described in the novels, but for what its shown in Whisper of Venom are the traditional Tiamatan practices. I recommend reading Powers & Pantheons and Dragons of Faerûn to flesh it out.

The Platinum Dragon was for much time the only legal religion in Tymanther, and is still considered the largest cult. While dragonborn can worship any god they want, this is something private and personal (and as mentioned before usually gets you exiled from your clan). There were no churches or cults in Tymanther before the Platinum Cadre showed up.

For what is hinted at (in Whisper of Venom), the Platinum Cadre started as a small cult, made up by some Vayemniri that felt they lacked a sense of purpose. How this ended up with them worshiping Bahamut in a society that hates dragons by tradition is something unknown (as it happens in the Lost Century, we may never uncover this in canon media; I have some ideas, tho, related to the dragonborn of Bahamut who were living in/near Essembra as per Dragons of Faerûn, and Marduk’s god-tomb, mentioned in “War upon the Sand” [Dragon 358]…). Being a “wyrm-lover god-worshiper” in Tymanther is hard, however, and the cult got the blunt of the prejudice and scorn of Thymari society. According to Daardendrien Balasar, the members of the Platinum Cadre were treated the same as arcane spellcasters are treated by the people of Luthcheq.

The cult somehow thrived in the catacombs of Djerad Thymar,in the shadows of Thymari society. By 1479 DR, there was only one divine caster in the cult, a paladin named Shestandeliath Patrin (and I guess him becoming a paladin of Bahamut has to do with what happened to Geshtax when he was kidnapped and used as ransom for the Breath of Petron…), who acted as their leader and shared what little he known with his fellow members. The rest of the cult was made up of exiles from many clans, mostly commoners and a few warriors.

However, seems Patrin was self-trained and was unable to tell the difference between the powers of Bahamut and those of Tiamat, or whether he should get along with chromatic dragons alongside metallics. This allowed a Tiamatan priestess named Nala to infiltrate the cult following Skuthosiin’s orders to corrupt them, so they would help him to either subjugate or destroy Tymanther, as part of his strategy to gain a lot of points in Capnolythil’s Xorvintaal game. Then, the green dragon subjugated the ash giants living in the Black Ash Plain and sent them against Tymanther. While the Lance Defenders had a rough time against the giants, the Platinum Cadre won many battles thanks to Nala’s blessings.

Nala nearly succeeded at her task had she not been discovered by Balasar and a dwarf mercenary (Khouryn Skulldark of the Brotherhood of the Griffon) and publicly exposed. This led to a duel of honor between Daardendrien Medrash (a paladin of Torm) and Patrin, who was unable to believe that Nala was a bad person. Medrash was forced to kill Patrin, whose last order was for the rest of the cult to not retaliate against the Daardendriens, as he realized that the accusations against Nala were true when she abandoned him during the battle.

Leadership of the group fell to Vishva, a warrior and one of Patrin trusted lieutenants. She asked Medrash to cleanse her and others from Tiamat’s foul magic (something Medrash was able to do as he inherited the divine powers Bahamut had bestowed upon Patrin). Vanquisher Tarhun allowed the Platinum Cadre to fight against Skuthosiin during the siege of Ashhold (the main fortress of the ash giants), under Medrash’s command. During the battle, Bahamut chose another member of the cult as his new paladin while still bestowing his divine blessings to Medrash. The Platinum Cadre also helped to kill Gestaniius when Medrash and Balasar were sent to High Imaskar to ask for military aid in a possible war against Tchazzar's Chessenta.

Seems that after the war Tarhun gave the Platinum Cadre status as a legal cult (as Mehen hints in Ashes of the Tyrant). This allowed the cult to grow and be recognized as one of Tymanther’s military forces. They were assigned to be under the command of Medrash at the end of The Spectral Blaze (which basically makes them a Daardendrien irregular force). Clan Jalt (a minor clan that favors the Platinum Cadre) was allowed to use the Cadre’s warriors as the primary military forces in Ruinspoke, a small trade village near the frontier with High Imaskar (current day, Mulhorand). As of 1487 DR, has grown enough to have more divine casters among their ranks.

Like the cult of Tiamat, there is not much about the rites and customs of the Platinum Cadre in the novels. There are however some clues about their beliefs: they believe all dragonborn are creations of Bahamut, and they believe they should bridge the divide between the Vayemniri and the metallic dragons, plus the traditional Bahamutan stance against anything Tiamat (this gives a lot of RP material for a Tyranny of Dragons campaign, I guess). As with anything Vayemniri, the cult behaves more like an army than something else. Mehen hints that members of the Platinum Cadre claim they belong to “the line of the Platinum Dragon”, meaning that perhaps the Cadre acts like a family, adopting those who have been exiled from their clans for their beliefs. For them, Bahamut is their revered ancestor, not a dragon tyrant.

I guess checking out the entry about the Talons of Justice in Dragons of Faerûn can help to define the Platinum Cadre’s dogmas. If you have access to a document named “Ancient Gods: Forgotten Deities of the Old Empires” by Tom Costa, it would be a great help to check out the entry about Bahamut. Or, I can provide you with the version of the Platinum Cadre I use for my home campaign.

Last of the big religious cults of the Thymari is the cult of Enlil. It was given legal status in the advent of the Second Sundering in Hammer of 1487 DR by Vanquisher Kallan, as a reward for Enlil’s help in stopping the Sundering transport Tymanther to Abeir. The cult is really new and has little canon story. A few converts among the important clans and high-ranking members of the Lance Defenders, as well as the fact that Enlil presents himself as a Vayemniri god (in the form of a black scaled dragonborn), allowed it to start with popularity. The cult of Enlil also accepts Untherite rebels that may want to revere their ancient deity in his human aspect.

The cult is new, but unlike the others we know how its dogmas. Enlil doesn’t ask for blind worship, he earns his worship by helping the Vayemniri. His followers “sign a contract” with him: they venerate him for a period of two years, after which they can “renew the contract” for another two years if they want. In exchange, Enlil helps them with his divine powers. As such, Enlil is not seen as a god, but more like a revered Uncle. He is in fact known among the Vayemniri as “Strychk Ozhon” (Uncle Lightning Bolt).

“Ancient Gods: Forgotten Deities of the Old Empires” by Tom Costa can be a huge boon here, as it has info about the cult of the old gods of Unther, which includes info on the priesthood of Enlil. On Hallowed Ground, from Planescape, can also help, I guess. I can also help there when I finish up my version of Enlil’s church.

That the old and traditionalist clans have opened themselves to the worship of Enlil may have had an impact in Thymari culture by the 1490+.

Enlil and Bahamut may be allies (as Bahamut is Marduk in the same way Selûne was Nanna-Sin). How will this affect the cult of Enlil? (the fact that Enlil may be an ally of a dragon god). If the answer is positive, does that mean that Vayemniri will be more open to the Platinum Cadre? To the worship of other gods? Asmodeus and Azuth played a huge role in the survival of Tymanther during the battle against Gilgeam, and this can be an opening their religions can use to put a foothold in Tymanther.

As the probabilities that these points would be answered by canon are virtually non-existent, these characteristics are up to your campaign.

* The clan names from the LFR adventures are not so compatible with those of the novels, and for me personally that is immersion breaking... You can still use this clan name if you like it, but if you want to give this clan a name that sounds similar to those of the novels, I suggest you to look at the 5e PHB or Xanathar’s Guide to Everything for ideas. Some applies for clan Jalt.
Zeromaru X Posted - 22 Mar 2019 : 00:27:05
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Really impressive stuff Zero! Thank you so much for all the hard work on this.

Thanks. Hope this can be useful for people interested in playing dragonborn in the Realms.

I compiled this info because I feel this is the kind of info they should have included in the SCAG instead of shoehorning Nentir Vale lore into the Realms. Don't mistake me, I love the Nentir Vale, but I also love the Realms, and both settings have different lores that I like. And I like how different the dragonborn of the Realms are compared with those from other worlds.

Anyways, I was planning to share this on DM's Guild, but I'm not so confident about my English (how many times I have edited this topic already?), and finally decided to share it here instead. I'm drawing a map of Tymanther as we speak. Guess I'll share it here next (along with a bit of lore about the nation itself as of 1490+ DR).

Realsiam dragonborn names:

Here is a list of Vayemniri given names from the novels. There are a few dragonborn in other novels besides those of the BotG and BA series (guess many here may remember the one from Venom in her Veins, for instance), that are also included in this list.

These names feel different from those in the PHBs (either 4e or 5e), the PHB Races: Dragonbon and Xanathar's Guide to Everything. Guess this means the writters had some guidelines for creating such names (same as with dragons and beholders names, guess those guidelines are NDA'd). Though some of these names can also be found in the PHBs and Xanathar's, not all of them are in the name lists of these books.

Male:
Andjer, Antar, Ardeshik, Arjhani (Jhani), Arkhan, Baishir, Balasar, Baruz, Bharash, Cayshan, Dauret, Dokaan, Draak, Dumuzi, Eshuna, Etoek, Geshthax (Gesh), Haishan, Harangor, Hencin, Heskan, Ishkhanak, Kallan, Korin, Krailash, Khrish, Kriv, Laerysth, Ludovic, Maruzith, Marzaim, Medrash, Mehen, Narghon, Olket, Olothon, Orothain, Pandjed, Patrin, Persegor, Preskan, Ravar, Rishaal, Saarvin, Shamash, Shikari, Sirrush, Sithra, Talmar, Tarhun, Tearn, Tuanek, Turan, Vandeth, Versengethor, Versvesh, Zevar, Zarjhan

Female:
Anala, Ananta, Ashoka, Atchni, Biri, Chamnatis, Darva, Dhunya, Ereshkin, Farideh* (Fari), Gharizani, Halda, Havilar* (Havi), Jeralla, Jhiri, Kaijia, Kerashna, Laiveshdeh, Lanitha, Mazarka, Minnitha, Mirji, Morlanth, Narhanna, Nijana, Parvida, Perra**, Rahdia, Raiann, Rimi, Sephideh (Sepah), Silberhaar, Telina, Thava, Thymara, Saitha, Sharna, Shaushka, Shaysa, Simdet, Uadjit, Valetta, Vardhira, Vishva, Yehenna, Zaroshni

*Said to be "old names" (as in, traditional names I guess).

As these names are from the 4e PHB, I guess that all the names from the PHBs fall into this category.

There are also a few mixed names, such as Ana-Patrin (male) or Biri-Daar (female), but are kinda rare (each mentioned only once in a pair of novels).

Ancestor names:
A few current-day dragonborn use names from the ancestors stories (for instance Nala, the priestess of Tiamat from Whisper of Venom), but they are rare. Guess a current-day dragonborn would feel like those are "old names" as well.

Members of Clan Khotararirilim:
They seem to have traditional Untheric names. In the novels the only names mentioned are Amurri, Utu (males), Kirgal and Namshita (females).

**On a funny note, you don't know how awkward is to call a female person "Perra" in Spanish...

EDIT: Added a few names from the adventures.
Dalor Darden Posted - 21 Mar 2019 : 14:42:00
Really impressive stuff Zero! Thank you so much for all the hard work on this.
Zeromaru X Posted - 20 Mar 2019 : 03:44:29
I've updated a few more stuff here and there. I'm preparing a final post, but I need to re-read the novels for that. So, I'll post the final post later this week.
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 08:21:54
Now we’d talk about the funny part: dragonborn marriage! Because, they are as legal as dwarves even in this regard.

Vayemniri seems to have a lenient opinion about sexual preferences. There isn’t a strong stigma against same-sex relationships or extra-marital relationships, and the elders usually see those relationships as “hatchling stuff”. Contraception is available, and if someone got gravid before marriage, well, everyone wants more eggs for the clan (though, in some instances this can hurt the reputation of a clan, so it depends) . Relationships with members of other races are considered “exotic”, but aren't particularly frowned upon.

All of this changes once a dragonborn has reached adulthood by Vayemniri standards (being over 15 years old and having fulfilled your obligatory service in the Lance Defenders and earned your status blade), as they have to fulfill their qallim agreement, a marriage contract. For Vayemniri, the main purpose of marriage is to get more eggs—and so, get new clan members—, and every individual needs to fulfill their qallim as a duty, regardless of their personal desires or opinions.

While Vayemniri can marry within their clans (though never with a member of their own bloodline—this means, their immediate blood relatives), this is something that happens in very rare instances. Vayemniri prefer to marry with members of other clans so that they can increase the status of their own clans or gain some other benefit from the marriage in addition to the eggs. The potential grooms or brides (qal in draconic; pl. qalli) are chosen by the clan’s elders from a pool of potential candidates (known as shuk-qalli, or "maybe- brides/grooms"), usually composed of individuals that the qal is fond of, or at least in good terms with. There are a few exceptions to this, however, such as instances where the qallim was arranged between two clans before the births of the qalli (old fashioned, currently), or when a couple decides to marry for love instead of letting their elders choosing their spouses for them (can earn you exile, though). In the homesteads and farms, marriage is taken more lightly than in the big cities, and usually the qallim agreements of farming clans are just to determine in which farm the children have to work on a given season.

Once a qallim agreement is accepted, there is no going back. Divorce doesn’t exist in Vayemniri society, and breaking a qallim agreement can affect the status of a clan, and therefore is frowned upon. However, as long as the agreement is fulfilled, the Vayemniri are free to do with their lives what they want (leave the city in search of adventures for a time, etc.)

There are two parties in a qallim agreement: the anurithominak (“under-clan”) and the svernominak (“over-clan”). The default assumption is that the svernominak has rights over the eggs—usually because they’re the more powerful of the two, or because they initiated the agreement (in cases where the two clans have the same status and influence). However, a few eggs are considered “koshqalli” (“cost of the bride/groom”, can be translated as dowry), and are set aside to the anurithominak . So, the percentages of how many eggs from each clutch are going to each clan, who gets to choose eggs, etc., are the bulk of the agreement.

All hatchlings stick with their parents in the svernominak enclave until they’re 10, old enough to get their clan piercings. The koshqalli then move into their lower-status parent’s enclave and become part of that clan.

Sometimes, one of the parents can re-negotiate a qallim agreement to ask for a child to be “transferred” from one clan to another, but those instances are rare.

While parents are the primary caregivers of their offspring, all of the clan is involved in the upbringing, so it’s not uncommon for uncles, aunts and cousins to watch over and taught their children communally.

This brings us to names. The formula is:

[clan name] + [given name] son/daughter of [your parent from your clan], of the line of [notable ancestor]

Example:
Kepeshmolik Ashoka, daughter of Thymara, of the line of Shaspur.
Daardendrien Medrash, son of Turan, of the line of Garshabin

For non-dragonborn, the Vayemniri aren't as formal. Just clan name + give name. The full name is for other dragonborn, trusted friends, or super formal occations (going to the court of the Queen of Cormyr, talking with the Open Lord of Waterdeep, etc.)

For the humans/humanoids that are joining the Vayemniri ranks, they will said "claimed by the line of" the dragonborn that allowed you into his or her clan, instead of "of the line of". For instance, once Mehen was re-admitted by his clan, his adopted children full names are something like this:

Verthisathurhiesh Farideh, daughter of Mehen, claimed by the line of Khorsaya.

Exiled Vayemniri usually go by their names, without mentioning ancestors or parents. If they need to be formal they add Thrikominaki (clanless, in draconic) as a preffix.

Thrikominaki Mehen
Thrikominaki Nala
Zeromaru X Posted - 18 Mar 2019 : 01:01:45
Had to re-read Ashes of the Tyrant to get the names of some songs, so I’ve edited my last post. I’ve also updated the info about the Lance Defenders. Now, we follow with Tymantheran culture. Or, as the Vayemniri call it, Thymari culture.

Although the Vayemniri trace their modern cultural leanings to their lost Abeiran nation of Tymanchebar, were their strong clans arose and formed ties that yet endure among dragonborn bloodlines, the Thymari culture as we know it on Toril started after the Spellplague, when the dragonborn survivors of Tymanchebar founded the nation of Tymanther.

The Thymari culture was tempered by war. It was war what brought the Vayemniri together to found Tymanchebar and overthrow the dragon tyrants that enslaved them on Abeir, and then defend their realm from flight after flight of dragons. It was war what birthed Tymanther, when the Vayemniri had to fight against the plaguechanged creatures who assailed them during the Wailing Years. It was war what allowed them to defend their homeland from the Untheran God-King’s ambitions and to remain on Toril in the final phase of the Second Sundering. For them, war has always been a way of life. As such, their “lords and ladies” are those dragonborn who have proven themselves capable of leading their fellows in battle. Theirs is a harsh and unforgiving meritocracy, and while each of their great clans are roughly equivalent to the nobility of other nations of the Realms, they are organized more like an army than a noble house. Their clan leaders (known as Matriarchs or Patriarchs —if you have the skill, your gender doesn’t matter) are more like commanders than nobles. Vayemniri are never conscripted into the army. Each and every one of them gladly submit themselves into the service of the Lance Defenders, and later their private clan’s army* with the willingness to fight. It is not only an honor to be able to serve in the battlefield but it is also a great opportunity to improve one’s skill, all meant to bring glory to the clan first and the individual second.

Their relationship with the gods is complicated. They do not understand the gods, as is something to be expected. They lived in a world that before the Spellplague had NO gods at all (or at least, the gods there didn't care for mortals at all until that point). So, they have some misconceptions about the gods. Some mistrust them, others cannot understand why someone will shackle themselves into the service of another being that can potentially be a tyrant as well, in exchange for something you can do on your own (healing magic? Dragonborn have a really good medicinal body of knowledge—it should be better than any medicinal science in the rest of the Realms, because they didn’t rely in magic. Protect you from your enemies? They freed themselves from slavery, thank you). Others simply cannot understand the concept of the gods at all (to the point that they didn’t understood the difference between the power of Tiamat and Bahamut until a dwarf explained it to them in 1479; not even Patrin, a paladin of Bahamut, understood such difference!).

This doesn’t mean that dragonborn go around saying that the gods don’t exist. They don’t deny their existence. That’s stupid, the gods are clearly there. So they acknowledge and respect their existence and power. But they don’t have any interest in them. They are the closest to a real world atheist the Realms can get. Mehen describes the gods at one point as being like beggars—you give them a little attention and they’ll be after you and your coin purse for all your days. So, they don’t worship them as a societal norm. Becoming a god-worshiper usually means exile from your clan (this is why Daardendrien stands out: they encourage god-worshiping and don’t exile theirs because of this, something that the other clans frown down upon; Daardendrien call this flexibility, the gods are useful allies to have around).

Which means most dragonborn ought to end up on the Wall of the Faithless.**

A few Vayemniri, however, choose to believe in the gods because that gives them a sense of purpose many of them feel they lack. Usually, they follow war-like gods such as Torm, Tempus or the Red Knight, though a few revere Kelemvor (they care a lot for their dead, so it makes sense that they’ll be interested in the god of the dead). A significant group of them revere Tiamat, due to the influence of Untherite survivors that were members of a group known as the Knights of the Five-Thorned Rose (this cult is secretive, and at some point tried to steal the Breath of Petron but epic failed at it and the cult of Tiamat got declared illegal in Tymanther). However, the largest group of god-worshipers in Tymanther is the Platinum Cadre.

These Bahamutan cultists believe that dragonborn are the children of Bahamut*** and that not all dragons are tyrants, that at least the metallic dragons of Toril are good guys, and that the Vayemniri should become, if not allies, at least friends with them. This is blasphemy, of course, to a people that hate dragons because of thousands of years of history of enslavement and other abuses. Not only they are god-worshipers but also wyrm-lovers! These Bahamutan cultists receive the scorn of the traditionalist Vayemniri not only because they willingly shackled themselves to the service of a god, but also because this god happens to be a dragon (the same applies to the worshipers of Tiamat). So, becoming a member of the Platinum Cadre (or a Tiamatan) means your exile is almost guaranteed (that’s why is surprising that a traditionalist clan such as Shestandeliath didn’t exiled Patrin when he became a paladin of Bahamut).

However, since the events of the Second Sundering (when Enlil took the form of a Vayemniri and proclaimed himself their protector and ally, helping them to remain in Toril when the worlds exchanged lands for the last time; and Asmodeus and Azuth played a vital role in the victory against the Untherite invaders), perhaps the Vayemniri views about the gods may have begun to change. Ed said that the current time of the Realms is a time of changes, after all.

Currently there are only legally recognized cults by the goverment, the Platinum Cadre and the cult of Enlil (given legal status by Kallan during the war against Unther).

Finally, we’d talk about the Vayemniri Code of Honor. Is encompassed in three key precepts:
  • Omin’iejirsjighen (roughly translated in common as “Blood commands unity, clan earns it”):

• The things dragonborn owe to their clans because they were taught their importance as children, such as defending your country or being a good host.**** Some would say this is the purpose of ancestor stories—to reinforce omin’iejirsjighen.

• Omin’iejirkkessh (“What the clan writes in your blood”):

• The things Vayemniri owe to their clans that don’t need to be taught because they are an intrinsic part of their culture, such as respecting your clan elders and knowing the importance of traditions.

• Throtominarr (“The clan repeated”):

• The honor individuals show to their ancestors by improving on what they did, such as increasing their clan’s status without undoing what their ancestors had made. The key point here is to add and improve, not to damage the clan’s reputation.

Failing at the second is worse than the first, and the third is kind of a specific application of the first two.

A curious way Vayemniri show their dedication to their code of honor is by criticizing or insulting without openly speaking ill of someone else. When they want to criticize something, they arrange their compliments in such a way that the insult somehow is omitted (such as congratulating a warrior who has bad writing about their “good penmanship”, because talking about their swordsmanship is a waste of time). They call this “art” the “sjashukri” (shadow speaking).

As the rest of the people in the Realms don’t practice this kind of subtlety, Vayemniri can be annoyed when talking with the “Maunthreki” (non-dragonborn). A Cormyrian adventurer may find that his dragonborn companion becomes very insulted by something he didn’t actually said or annoyed that he didn’t pick up on a critique the dragonborn deployed too subtly—but most understand that non-dragonborn don’t understand this way of speaking. They may abandon it altogether, use it solely when they want to insult someone but not damage a friendship, or over emphasize their honesty to make certain they don’t accidentally do it.

*I’ve already talked about the Lance Defenders before, but not about Tymanther's irregular forces.

All the clans have their own “war bands”, private small armies composed exclusively by clan members under the command of their clan leader. A few of the dragonborn that didn’t become a permanent Lance Defender usually takes up the path of the professional soldier within their own clan. These war bands act on behalf of their clans instead as on behalf of their country, and many of them also are posted to watch over the clan’s proprieties or to act as bodyguards for important clan members. They also serve as a police force, investigating and prosecuting crimes within their own clans.

Each clan polices their own, and when a dragonborn goes rogue is left to the clan leaders to deal with them as they see fit, as it’s assumed they can decide a fitting and just punishment for their own people. If there is a crime that a clan cannot solve for itself, or involves more than one clan, or implies a danger for Tymanther as whole, then the Adjudicators will take care of the situation.

There are also a few private forces that don’t belong to the Thymari government, but act on their behalf, such as adventuring bands and mercenary guilds, and the like. Canonically, we have information about just one, the Platinum Cadre. These Bahamutan cultists may be scorned and reviled by many among the Vayemniri, but there is no denying that they are one of the best military forces in Tymanther. They have a lot of seasoned warriors (exiles from many clans, many of them veterans of the Dragon War of 1479), as well as a huge advantage in their access to the divine magic provided by Bahamut, thus making them a great asset to the Tymantheran military forces. That’s why some cunning Vanquisher granted their cult legal status despite the loathing of the clans (Mehen blames Tarhun for this, but I'm not sure if it was Tarhun the one who gave them the legal status in Tymanther).

After the Dragon War of 1479, the Platinum Cadre was taken into the protection of Clan Daardendrien (as Medrash was officially made their protector), thus making Daardendrien perhaps the most powerful clan military speaking.

Despite their private status, all of the irregular military forces of Tymanther are under the ultimate command of the Vanquisher, who has the right to call them to arms during times of war.

**They do revere Nanna-Sin as the saviour of their race, though they didn’t knew he was actually a god, lol. Does that mean all the race is an unwilling worshiper of a dead god/Selûne?

***Members of the Platinum Cadre believe that the dragonborn race was not breed by dragons, but that they are ancient creations of Bahamut, enslaved by the dragons of Abeir. This makes a lot of sense, lorewise speaking. The dragonborn race debuted in D&D in a 3.5 supplement named Races of the Dragon. In this book, the dragonborn are not a true race, but some sort of artificial race. They were created when humanoid worshipers of Bahamut gave up their original biology and used a holy ritual, the Ritual of Rebirth, to be reborn as a draconic being. Dragons of Faerûn (3.5 sourcebook) confirms their existence in the Realms, saying that Bahamut created the first dragonborn during the Time of Dragons to fight against the dragonspawn of Tiamat. A few of these dragonborn of Bahamut appeared around 1373 in the Dales to fight against dragons afflicted by the last Rage of Dragons. Ed also confirmed the relationship between the dragonborn of Bahamut and the Abeiran dragonborn, but also said that only the oldest dragons know about this, and that whatever they know they didn’t shared it with him.

Now, we know that Raurokhymdar the Golden (a metallic dragon, progeny of Bahamut) did breeding experiments to create dragonborn slaves in a dwarven fortress. We know Gilgeam said the dragons of Abeir “perverted the creations of the gods” to create their slaves. Does this means that Raurokhymdar steal Bahamut’s Rite of Rebirth and modified it to create slaves using dwarves…?

****Erin clarified that while the idea of dragonborn being taught to be good hosts doesn’t make sense at first glance, in fact is an important facet of Vayemniri culture. They survived thousands of years of slavery and rose up by brutal uprising and not by being friendly. But given that, and given the clan system, the Vayemniri would have to realize one thing above all: you need allies to get by. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. So anyone new is treated with cautious optimism in the traditional Thymari culture. They are kind and accommodating, while being kind of suspicious in their thoughts. Offer guests tea, but ask why they’re visiting. Give them a place to stay, because that way you are protecting them and keeping an eye on them.
Zeromaru X Posted - 17 Mar 2019 : 01:35:57
Just to clarify, I've made a few updates to the info.
Zeromaru X Posted - 16 Mar 2019 : 22:54:55
quote:

Hey, Zero, don't have time to read through this at the moment (going somewhere), but I do WANT to read it. However, the twitter link above, I couldn't easily get the picture to resize. Any chance you can get the original image jpeg?

Sure.
http://imgur.com/a/aUnz5kC

Next, we have the ancestor stories. These are songs about certain deeds of a revered ancestor that shaped the clan’s history or even the Vayemniri culture as a whole, some stretching as far as back to ancestors who weren’t actually part of a clan yet, such as the dragonborn rebels who founded Tymanchebar (the original nation of the Vayemniri in Abeir). The Vayemniri tell their hatchlings with such stories since an early age (the translation into common is “nursery tales”), to instill and reinforce “omin’iejirsjighen” (we will get into this in another post). Those stories are crude and hard, and shape the identity of a Vayemniri on a fundamental way. All of what they do and will do is influenced by those stories.

The few stories that we have in canon sources (scattered in Fire in the Blood, Ashes of the Tyrant and The Devil You Know) are mostly about ancient ancestors, but this is not a rule. A more recent ancestor can also have a song about his or her deeds. Kepeshmolik Thymara, for instance, has one. I’m pretty sure Daardendrien Medrash must have one by now (1490+), as in Whisper of Venom he is compared with the “dragon-killing rebels who shaped the history of the dragonborn". And Namshita, the founder of the Khotararirilim, will have one in the near future as well, for having saved her people from certain death at the hands of Gilgeam and his demons.

Here is a small recap of the few songs we know:

• Clever Nala and the Ten Thousand Shadows

• A Verthisathurgiesh song. Is about how Nala Who-Would-Be-Verthisathurgiesh (meaning, a distant ancestor from before the time of Tymanchebar) tricked the dragon Morthongiarimyth, the Starshine Duke, into fearing “shadow creatures” by playing with lights and shadows until he went mad, allowing her to free her family and another two from slavery.

• Khorsaya and the Thigh Bone Sword

• Another Verthisathurgiesh song. In this one, Khorsaya Who-Would-Be-Verthisathurgiesh killed the favored offspring of Emycharianatrys, the Jewel-Born Empress (a gem dragon?) by using a blade made from her father’s thighbones and a bowl of her own fermented blood to fuel her magic. Khorsaya is Mehen’s great-great-great-great-great-great-grandmother.

• The death of the elders in Raurokh

• A Kepeshmolik song. Shaspur Who-Would-Be-Kepeshmolik was raised in Raurokh*, the fortress of Raurokhymdar the Golden, a gold dragon who conducted experiments to breed better dragonborn slaves. Shaspur was one of her best specimens, and he was raised by seven wise dragonborn elders (Ana-Mashal, Baishiria, Hurashum, Nazari, Qinnaz, Rahishu, and Zerath) so Raurokhymdar could use him as the new father of a better, stronger dragonborn slave clutch. One day, Shaspur devised a plan to flee Raurokh, but the plan has a big fail: the elders won’t survive it. The elders told Shaspur that he should go on with the plan, saving the younger slaves, while they sacrificed their lives to buy Shaspur time. The song ends with the tale of how many years later, after the dragonborn founded Tymanchebar, Raurokh was destroyed by Shaspur's descendants, avenging the dead of the elder ancestors.

• The Many Esham-Ana

• An Yrjixtilex song. Esham-Ana Who-Would-Be-Yrjixtilex was one of the guards of the slave pens of Gauwervyndhal, the Empress Dragon of Skelkor. He used his position to bring food and other commodities to his fellow slaves. Ororonymilith, the Vizier of Broken Thorns, a copper dragon, was tasked by Gauwer to find the one who was stealing her food, and the copper dragon went to the slave pens to investigate, using a clanless dragonborn to discover that Esham-Ana was the culprit. The next day, he went to the mines and demanded the slaves to bring Esham-Ana to him to face “justice”. However, all the slaves began to say that they were Esham-Ana—they never would hand over the one who sustained them to the Foul Empress Dragon—, startling the dragon long enough to lower his guard. Ororonymilith’s skull was the first dragon skull claimed by the first Who-Would-Be-Yrjixtilex.

• Haizverad and the Breath of Petron

• A Shestandeliath song. It tells the story of how Haizverad Who-Would-Be-Shestandeliath stole a small fragment of Petron’s corpse, when Versveshardinazar, the Opaline Terror, was defiling the corpse of the primordial to create magic items. This small fragment of Petron’s lungs was used to create the artifact known as the Breath of Petron.

• Hazor and the Jet-Boned Tyrant

• Clan unknown (the novel doesn't says - RP tip: if you chose a clan without a known ancestor story, you can use this). This song is about how a dracolich known as Daelfyrthimachian, the Jet-Boned Tyrant, constantly raided Vayemniri tombs to raise them as undead, forcing the Vayemniri to kill their dead until they defined their funerary customs. This song is also the reason dragonborn don't fear the Wall of the Faithless ("Better oblivion that apart from our clans. Better an end than a perpetuity in bondage...")

• The Battle of Arambar Gulch

• Another Verthisathurgiesh song. It tells the story of how Shurideh and Iksdara Who-Would-Be-Verthisathurgiesh (sisters and descendants of Khorsaya) killed Asativarainuth, the Silver Death, a silver dragon, to steal from his treasury the artifact known as the Eye of Blazing Rorn.

• The Battle of the Crippled Mountain

• Though this is a Verthisathurgiesh song, is also a Shestandeliath song and a general Vayemniri song. It tells how Shurideh and Iksdara Who-Would-Be-Verthisathurgiesh, their kinsman Reshvemi Who-Would-Be-Verthisathurgiesh, and Thuchir Who-Would-Be-Shestandeliath (descendant of Haizverad and bearer of the Breath of Petron) infiltrated the Celestial Mountain, the volcano lair of Rhodrolytharnestryx, the Tyrant of Tyrants, while the red dragon and his dragon army fought against the army of dragonborn rebels. Shurideh, Iksdara, Reshvemi and Thuchir infiltrated the volcano using the Breath of Petron, and then used the Eye of Blazing Rorn to trigger an eruption so powerful that killed Rhodrolytharnestryx (and miraculously, all four survived). The ash from the eruption rained for 40 days, and the dragonborn survivors of the battle took it as an omen. They renamed themselves the Vayemniri (the Ash-Marked Ones), no longer slaves but free. A few years later, they would found Tymanchebar.

• Kepeshmolik Thymara and the Gift of the Moon

• A Kepeshmolik song about Thymara, founder of Djerad Thymar (and basically, of Tymanther). Though Kepeshmolik Ashoka, the last surviving daughter of Thymara (as of 1486), said that the song is also a general Vayemniri song. This song tell us how a pregnant Thymara (about to give birth at any time), a descendant of Shaspur, was saved by Selûne from certain death and led to the God-Tomb of Nanna-Sin to give birth her children in peace. When Thymara recovered, she thanked Selûne and asked her for a way to repay the favor. Selûne said that she should take the Black Axe of Nanna-Sin, reunite the dragonborn survivors and then rebuilt Nanna-Sin’s tomb as their home. Thymara answered that this only would make her debt to Selûne even bigger. So Selûne asked her to take care of the Black Axe until the true bearer appear to claim it.**

Kepeshmolik has other two ancestor stories named, Jarfras and the Treaty of the Tel-Quess (meaning this Jarfras ancestor may have made an alliance with elves) and the Forgesisters of Urdun, but we don't have any lore about those songs.

There should be at least a song for Nerifar Who-Would-Be-Kepeshmolik (a female, according to the novels) and for Mirichesh Who-Would-Be-Ophinshtalajiir, who fought at the battle of the Crippled Mountain as well (and Mirichesh had killed a dragon tyrant known as the Frostborn Duke before that), as they are also mentioned in the Tale of the Crippled Mountain. There is also Nilofer, another notable Kepeshmolik ancestor, who was good with the bow. And Akkadi, another Kepeshmolik ancestor, who was Tarhun's notable ancestor. And there is also Caysh, who is the ancestor of Mirichesh and therefore the first notable ancestor of the Ophinshtalajiir.

Namarra is one of the notable ancestors from Clan Prexijandilin.

Nerinal is another Yrjixtilex notable ancestor.

Assilyath, an Ophinshtalajiir notable ancestor.

Garshabin is a Daardendrien notable ancestor. Garshabin is the ancestor of Turan, current patriarch of the clan, meaning is also Medrash's ancestor (as Medrash is said to be Daardendrien's scion***)

Abinirash is a notable ancestor of clan Churirajachi.

Members of the Platinum Cadre are said to have been "claimed by the line of the Platinum Dragon". I guess that means their religious rites may include ancestor stories about Bahamut.

*Raurokh is currently (as 1479) known as Firetrees (isn’t there a place in old Unther named the same?), and you can read its description on page 207 of the 4e FRCG. Curiously, before being conquered by Raurokhymdar, the place was a dwarven fortress named Durlyndbold. Dragonborn share many traits of the dwarves (honor-bound, reverence for clans and ancestors, etc…), and they get along well almost instantaneously (see the novels of the BotG). Raurokhymdar experiment to bred dragonborn slaves there… you get where I’m getting at, right?

**This true bearer is Farideh, the tiefling protagonist of the Brimstone Angels novels. In one of the visions Dumuzi had when he used the Axe (that he currently owns, IIRC) in the Devil You Know, a blue female was the bearer of the Axe before Thymara took it. I guess this blue female is Ningal, from the 3e FRCS.

***A scion is the heir of the current matriarch or patriarch of a clan, who is usually their first child.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000