Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halflings of Unther

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 21:10:58
Hey, guys. Can you help me with this? They 3e Campaign Setting says that the halfling population of Unther were the Ghostwise. However, the SCAG says that the Ghostwise are super rare and only live in the Chondalwood. It doesn't say what kind of halflings live in this area.

So, I'm confused Can anyone help me with this?
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 23:55:56
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Seems my english is more fail than usual today Sorry for the horrography, already fixed it.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Not sure if that response was to me...

It was for Hoondatha, actually. I wasn't aware of your answer at the moment.

And also, it was to clarify my question. IMC, Unther doesn't exist because I play in the 4e time period, however I'm using lore from previous editions to enhance my version of Tymanther. I'm also using some 4e core lore to put some dragonborn ruins in the lands (according to lore, a few fortresses from Skelkor did ended up in Faerūn alongside Djerad Thymar during the Spellplague, but the dragonborn never repaired those and ended up as ruins - - seems they only had resources to repair one fortress, and decided that Djerad Thymar was the lucky one... But, now that I think about it, I guess we just learned from where they got the resources to built Djetad Kethendi later in 1480 DR or so).

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas[/i]
but bear in mind, the Methwood, the methmere, and the riders to the sky mountains all existed in 3e, 4e, and 5e. [/i]

And I don't why I always forget that those places are part of Tymanther in the time period I'm playing it. Seems I have the 5e lore memorized. Seems I need to re-read my 4e sources.

And yes! Ghostwise halflings riding Tuurus. Those Talenta halflings are so envious they are rage-crying right now
koc

Lol, yeah, I never put that two and two together until this. Markustay so wanted to put dinosaur riding halflings in the Shaar, which I didn't really agree with but wasn't totally against the idea (I'd rather there NOT be dinosaurs there), but here we have in the methwood a possible "land of the lost" with wild halflings, wood elves, etc... that would allow for us to introduce possible. Also, with the aarakocra mention, I wouldn't be surprised to find raptor dinosaurs (deinonychus) in the area (with feathers) that were creations of the aearee as well. There's also pyrolisks in the area relatively nearby (remember they are feathered lizard like creatures).
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 23:42:28
Seems my english is more fail than usual today Sorry for the horrography, already fixed it.

quote:

Not sure if that response was to me...

It was for Hoondatha, actually. I wasn't aware of your answer at the moment.

And also, it was to clarify my question. IMC, Unther doesn't exist because I play in the 4e time period, however I'm using lore from previous editions to enhance my version of Tymanther. I'm also using some 4e core lore to put some dragonborn ruins in the lands (according to lore, a few fortresses from Skelkor did ended up in Faerūn alongside Djerad Thymar during the Spellplague, but the dragonborn never repaired those and ended up as ruins - - seems they only had resources to repair one fortress, and decided that Djerad Thymar was the lucky one... But, now that I think about it, I guess we just learned from where they got the resources to built Djetad Kethendi later in 1480 DR or so).

quote:
but bear in mind, the Methwood, the methmere, and the riders to the sky mountains all existed in 3e, 4e, and 5e.

And I don't know why I always forget that those places are part of Tymanther in the time period I'm playing it. Seems I have the 5e lore memorized. Seems I need to re-read my 4e sources.

And yes! Ghostwise halflings riding Tuurus. Those Talenta halflings are so envious they are rage-crying right now
sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 22:37:11
Not sure if that response was to me, but bear in mind, the Methwood, the methmere, and the riders to the sky mountains all existed in 3e, 4e, and 5e. The map of Chessenta from Dungeon Mag #178 during 4e shows them all still there. The same article also mentions the dinosaurs again. Also, regarding the entry about aarakocra "being hunted to extinction" from the Old Empires... They appear to be in the Adder Hills. Also, apparently there's now some wilden in this same area as well.

From Dungeon 178
Adder Hills: This majestic chain of soaring earthmotes is one of the most inspiring sights in all Faerūn. A century ago, when the cerulean fires of the Spellplague crisscrossed the land, the Adder Hills escaped their earthly bonds to float a thousand feet or more over the Chessentan frontier. Despite periodic shifts in elevation, the flying peaks remain more or less in a fixed position over the cratered landscape below.

Few cross underneath the Adder Hills without some trepidation that the mighty peaks might crash down upon them at a moment’s notice. The floating isles are home to warring tribes of aarakocra and avariel, neither
of which welcome outsiders into their lands.

Methmere: The serene, placid water of this great freshwater sea belies the dangers that lurk in its depths. Beneath the bubbling waters lives a society of marine trolls known as scrags. The scrags are highly territorial
and diligently patrol their demesnes on domesticated aquatic behemoths (plesiosaurs). For this reason, few settlements line its coast and only a fool with a death wish would dare ply a craft on these waters. Volcanic vents on the lake floor heat the dark waters and send clouds of mists into the heights of the Sky Riders to the north.

Sky Riders: These rough hills along the Chessentan frontier are rich with mineral wealth and thick with monsters. The northern reaches, around Dragonback Mountain, are firmly under the dominion of Alasklerbanbastos, the Great Bone Wyrm and self-proclaimed Dragon King of Old Unther. The southern peaks are home to the predatory, screeching tuuru—a race of winged drakes used as mounts by tribes of nomadic wilden (mimicking the elite
aerial warriors of Unther from days of yore).

Gary Dallison Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 22:22:53
I don't believe I looked at halflings when I focused on unther (choosing instead to sort out the mess of humancentricore.

However a few thoughts. Unther is very insular, it doesn't range beyond its borders anymore. It is a slaving nation but given that it doesn't range beyond its borders how would it acquire those slaves. Lastly is whether the halflings are native to the region or not.

If the halflings are native then it's quite feasible a wild bunch survive in the methwood, however the halflings in nearby chessenta (near the added swamp) are not native so why would halflings from ancient unther (before unther existed) not move into chessenta as well.

If the halflings are not native then how did they come to be in the methwood. Escaped slaves seems like an easy explanation but given the isolation, rarity and danger of acquiring ghostwise halflings I would suggest that these are actually halflings from Loren enslaved by bandits and wemic that were sold to unther and escaped and went a bit feral and so resemble the ghostwise but are not strictly related to them.

Just a thought or two. The death of Gilgeam and collapse of untheric society does not mean a sudden influx of halflings is likely unless some horror befall halflings in their native land, so escaped slaves is still a likely explanation (moreso in a collapsed society situation).
Zeromaru X Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 22:07:00
Well, currently I play 5e, but my campaign takes place in the 4e time period. So, technically, Unther doesn't exist in my campaign. However, the Ghostwise still exist in 4e, and according to some lore, a few Untherites did survived the Spellplague and their descendants are a minority of the population of Tymanther.

That's why I searched in the 3e FRCS, and it says that in Unther there is a minority of dwarves and halflings (3% and 2%, respectively). Take into account that in 3e Unther, Gilgeam was dead and the nation about to be destroyed by the Third Mulhorandi Empire.
sleyvas Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 21:59:09
They're in the Methwood, which is a kind of border forest owned by neither Unther or Chessenta. The elves (and apparently ghostwise halflings) as well as the local dinosaurs (Pleisosaurs in the methmere, pteranodon like creatures named Tuuru in the Riders to the Sky Mountains), and trolls and half-drow tend to keep the humans from the area (except the humans who are outsiders..ie bandits). The dinosaurs and the lost civilization in the methwood are yet another thing I link to a prior exchange between Abeir and Toril. Oh, and if you ever wanted ghostwise halflings riding small dinosaurs... this would be the place to introduce them... Tuuru riding ghostwise as well.

3e FRCG
[/i]Ghostwise Halflings
These wild, nearly feral halfiings rarely leave the confines of the deep forests. Strange and reclusive, they form close-knit communities because of their amazing talents and are uncomfortable with strangers. Like other halflings, they refer to themselves as the hin. They do not have a name for their subrace, because their culture is almost entirely cut off from the outside world and their awareness of other kinds of halflings is very low.
Regions: The Chondalwood, south of the Vilhon Reach, is home to a number of ghost wise settlements. Other forests inhabited by these reclusive folk include the Methwood between Chessenta and Unther, and the Forest of Amtar south of the plains of the Shaar.

Also on the Methwood and Methmere lake

Methmere: This lake is thick with fish, which are dined upon by the native plesiosaurs. Bandit settlements dot the western coast, and many refugees fled across the water when the Mulhorandi army arrived, some captured by bandits and sold into slavery, some reaching Chessenta on their own, and yet others struggling to survive on the shore.
Methwood: This thick forest once sheltered a number of druids, but they left or died out over a hundred years ago. Now home to small tribes of elves and half-elves, the Methwood is also inhabited by chimeras and an old green dragon named Skuthosiin. Legends tell of a lost city of the Turami race in the forest, possibly dating back to the time of the Imaskar Empire.

and on the Riders to the Sky Mountains from Old Empires

The Riders to the Sky
This mountain chain is on the southeastern border of Chessenta. These are mostly hills ranging between 3,000 and 5,000 feet in height. On the southern end are a number of cliffs that are home to the tuuru, a race of giant birdlike lizards (pteranodons). Legends exist that in ancient days these huge birds were used as mounts by the warriors of Unther. Given the size, weight, and strength of the pteranodons, it is doubtful that they could support a human rider; either larger varieties once existed or the legend is a hoax.
There are also the ruins of an ancient aarakocra civilization on the slopes, but this tribe was hunted to extinction a century ago for sport by mercenaries from Chessenta.

The eastern portions of the Riders to the Sky have mostly been cleared, though some bandit and outlaw tribes use them as bases to wage raids on Unther and Chessenta. The western portions, along the edge of the Winding River, are much wilder. There are troll villages, and duergar inhabit underground caverns.

Half-drow who were exiled from Yuirwood long ago are rumored to live among the trolls.[/i]

Hoondatha Posted - 15 Mar 2019 : 21:38:57
There basically aren't any demihumans of any kind in Unther. When Enlil, the other gods, and the mulan arrived, they drove out or exterminated the local humans and all the demihumans. The only ones that remain in the "modern" Unther are slaves. (This is all coming from FR10 Old Empires).

So what few halflings exist in Unther would be whatever halflings slavers managed to snatch or buy. That means, most likely, that they are of the most common subrace of whatever edition you're playing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000