Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Orphan Surnames

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alexander Clark Posted - 05 Feb 2019 : 16:02:25
When an orphan with unknown parents is raised by a church do they get a surname? And if they do who decides what surname they'll get?

Likewise what surnames do bastards get? Do they just get mother's surname or are there some other traditions?
4   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 05 Feb 2019 : 19:38:35
Just to note, its very common for people in the realms to not have surnames.

From the 1st edition FR Campaign Setting (i.e. the old grey box)

Common Humanity: The greater bulk of humanity takes a single name, such as #147;Doust#148; or #147;Mourngrym,#148; with a secondary name added if there is confusion, either from profession (#147;Doust the Fighter#148;), location (#147;Doust of Shadowdale#148;), or lineage (the latter in particular if some legendary figure was in the family line, such as #147;Doust, Grandson of Miniber the Sage#148;). In addition, an name may be added for a physical condition, such as #147;Blackmane#148; or #147;Firehair,#148; of for some legendary or extraordinary event. (There are a large number of #147;trollkillers#148; in the Realms, more a credit to the numbers of the monsters rather than the prowess of their slayers.) In the course of a lifetime, an average human can take and discard several surnames, keeping his #147;given#148; name throughout.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Feb 2019 : 17:50:29
I'd say that any of those are valid.
Alexander Clark Posted - 05 Feb 2019 : 17:43:58
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

There aren't any real rules or traditions there that I am aware of. Surnames are not even a universal thing, in the Realms.

I'd imagine a lot of them would be something like Tahm of Scornubel or Hahri the Swift or something like that.

Even if there are traditions in places, I'm sure there would be some variance between different locales and different societies.

Well, for orphans there are several ways that make sense to me.

1. An orphan totally lacks a surname and just becomes something like John the Tall as you suggested.
2. An orphan picks their own surname when he/she grows older.
3. A priest most responsible for an orphan decides on the surname.
4. There might be some "common" surnames like Tormson for someone raised by Tormites

If there is no established lore I believe I am free to choose whatever I want. Thanks.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Feb 2019 : 17:38:46
There aren't any real rules or traditions there that I am aware of. Surnames are not even a universal thing, in the Realms.

I'd imagine a lot of them would be something like Tahm of Scornubel or Hahri the Swift or something like that.

Even if there are traditions in places, I'm sure there would be some variance between different locales and different societies.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000