Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Why were the Nether scrolls written?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Starshade Posted - 02 Dec 2018 : 11:46:08
As I understand, the Nether scrolls were written in a lab now under the Grandfather tree, by 3 different species, avians, repilians and aquatic progenitor race in an 'secret organization'. Is there published sources why they did this? Seems for me the likely reasons is for their own use (rebuilding?) or to make the humans and elven civilisations destroy themselves.

Canon or noncanon ideas?
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Gary Dallison Posted - 10 Dec 2018 : 10:40:32
The way I understand events is that the spellweavers created the basis for the weave so as to provide that weave to the sarrukh and have the sarrukh use it to destroy themselves.

The spellweavers sent a number of agents among the sarrukh to form the secret society known as the baetith. The baetith crafted a copy of the nether scrolls which acts as a weave anchor (thus spreading the power and area of the weave) and allowed the sarrukh to add all their magical works into the weave.

The sarrukh eliminated themselves and then the batrachi took it's place. The batrachi discovered remnants of the baetith and refunded the society anew. They created a new set of nether scrolls (expanding the weave once more) and catalogued their magical knowledge into it.

Then the aearee came along and repeated the cycle, finding remnants of the Old baetith and refounding a new society, crafting a new set of scrolls and expanding the weave and adding their own magical knowledge to the weave.

At this point I think the weave got away from the spellweavers. It was intended to destroy powerful civilisations by overloading them with less risky/costly magic and it continued to do so as long as an empire had direct access to the scrolls. But other lesser civilisations began to hear of the weave and use the magic stored within but without direct access to the nether scrolls they could not achieve the heights of magical power that would undoubtedly destroy them.

Instead of destroying rival civilisations, the weave has allowed most minor human civilisations to grow and survive using the weave but not abusing it.

Just my two cents.

I also don't hold with the idea that mystryl existed before the weave because that idea is based upon myth and legend and as I treat all sources through the unreliable narrator I assume they are easily misinterpreted (as happens so often with myth and legend in real life)
Ayrik Posted - 10 Dec 2018 : 09:30:47
I always envisioned the Nether Scrolls as being somewhat analogous to wiki sites and hyperlinks, allowing the reader to move from focus to focus through basically "endless" pages of categorized magical knowledge.

The Nether Scrolls seem to be anchored to the Weave - they apparently always reform themselves somewhere in the Realms whenever they're lost or destroyed - so maybe they're related constructs. Mystryl predates the Scrolls which in turn might predate the Weave, they might have essentially defined all the "rules" which even allow magic to exist. I wonder if the Scrolls spontaneously change, edit, or update their contents whenever a new Mystra and a new edition of magic rules comes out ... likewise I wonder if they might contain self-contradicting, nonsensical, random, brilliant, or insane arcana during magically volatile Mystra-to-Mystra interregna. (Then again, there's no reason for Nether Scrolls to retcon themselves, reference sources for obsolete arcane lore are still always useful. Except this begs the question of why all future rules of magic wouldn't also exist in the same body of work, or at least why nobody - including Mystra, Azuth, Oghma, Cyric, and other deities - has ever consulted this future-relevant lore.)

I note that some Nether Scrolls were "lost" even before the fall of Netheril and have not (yet) been accounted for, while duplicates of a few others are known to have been (re)created by Mystra as gifts for Larloch.
The Masked Mage Posted - 10 Dec 2018 : 04:33:05
I never really liked the idea that they worked together. I prefer the idea that someone gathered the magic lore of the different species. It makes much more sense.
Thraskir Skimper Posted - 08 Dec 2018 : 07:55:56
Not so much written as accessible. More like a tablet collection of a spell library.
sleyvas Posted - 05 Dec 2018 : 14:32:43
I'd venture to say it would be no different than say a group of dwarves, elves, humans, tieflings, and dragonborn mages all getting together to discuss/study/share magical theories. Its just that during that time, the races that were in power were those mentioned.
Starshade Posted - 04 Dec 2018 : 22:39:23
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It was a class project that got a little out of hand.

Actually not a bad suggestion, though funny.
The Jergal article I read some time ago, on the Wayback Machine (atm the web archive is broken...). I liked it.
Barastir Posted - 03 Dec 2018 : 10:24:31
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Dec 2018 : 17:54:40
George Krashos Posted - 02 Dec 2018 : 17:49:41
Serpent Kingdoms has the answers you are after.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 02 Dec 2018 : 12:29:47
Ask George for his article on Jergal, it will answer all your questions. Also i dont think they were written beneath the grandfather tree, merely stored there I believe.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000