Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Historical Holes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George Krashos Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 09:21:46
Are there any "holes" in the historical narrative of Faerun that people think need filling? I'm not talking about "give me more info on the Crown Wars ..."-type stuff (noting that the Crown Wars are actually quite well detailed historically), but rather areas or events that haven't received much love.

-- George Krashos
27   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Zeromaru X Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 20:39:29
That I'm aware of? Nope.

Now that I think about, I can do it. I'm re-reading the novels right now (because I've finished the Wheel of Time and I'm pretty bored), so I have the time.
sleyvas Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 17:12:32
quote:
Originally posted by Zeromaru X

Now that I think about it... I know you're not working right now in post-Spellplague Realms, but when the time comes I'd would like to read more about Tymanther or Akanûl.

Zero, has anyone gathered together the stories from Erin's books and put them into any kind of historical form?
sleyvas Posted - 10 Oct 2018 : 17:09:22
quote:
Originally posted by Archmage of Nowhere

For me I find the lore of Humans to be the most lacking at the moment. We have the current nations which are all in flux but nothing of a common ancestry in the Days of Thunder. I may have missed it but Humans being considered a Creator Race in -30000 but only rising to power and civilization after the kingdoms of dwarves and elves is kinda stunning to me. I have yet to see any official lore attached to this 20000+ year gap of time.

Actually this is my current project in my home campaign

Unless those creator race humans were sent to Abeir (where the magical mysteries they knew didn't work the same) and only a small portion of them remained on Toril.
Zeromaru X Posted - 09 Oct 2018 : 20:25:06
Now that I think about it... I know you're not working right now in post-Spellplague Realms, but when the time comes I'd would like to read more about Tymanther or Akanûl.
Archmage of Nowhere Posted - 01 Oct 2018 : 17:09:35
For me I find the lore of Humans to be the most lacking at the moment. We have the current nations which are all in flux but nothing of a common ancestry in the Days of Thunder. I may have missed it but Humans being considered a Creator Race in -30000 but only rising to power and civilization after the kingdoms of dwarves and elves is kinda stunning to me. I have yet to see any official lore attached to this 20000+ year gap of time.

Actually this is my current project in my home campaign
TomCosta Posted - 30 Sep 2018 : 16:08:30
I see the arctic dwarves of the Great Glacier as just another tribe of ishikorobokuru, but living in the "west." They are described almost identically, and I like the idea of the korobokuru moving first east and then north and the ishikorobokuru moving west again. It's also somewhat simpler an explanation, which works for me. Nevertheless, I agree the Sossal region is a pretty big hole.

The Tortured Lands are also a big hole. Murghom and Semphar are bit convoluted, culturally and historically. Totally agree on Jhaamdaath.
Gary Dallison Posted - 30 Sep 2018 : 10:57:15
Of course Dareth itself was founded by dwarves from many sources too.

That's a helluva job you've got there.

Is the exiled moonsea clan the one from myth drannor.

Also could Dareth be the first place gold and shield dwarves have mixed in any great numbers.
George Krashos Posted - 30 Sep 2018 : 10:28:20
quote:
Originally posted by Gelcur

I know you had been working on Sossal history/timeline at one point, not sure if you ever finished said work. I always liked this quote from Races of Faerun under Arctic Dwarf History, "Some claim that the Inugaakalikurit once ruled a northern empire that rivaled great Bhaerynden, but the Great Glacier long ago crushed any ruins it might have left." While I'm on dwarves I don't think there is much on them while in the Yehimal region or while under Semphar.

There is a problem with the “arctic dwarves” in that the ones actually residing in the Great Glacier have a specific origin story which prevents them from having an “ancient empire”. As such, in my Realms the arctic dwarves are the forbears of the founders of Dareth while the Inugaakalikurit are descendants of a banished clan hailing from the Moonsea region (which might be the “ancient empire” referred to). Still a lot of work to do to get this sorted.

— George Krashos
The Arcanamach Posted - 30 Sep 2018 : 07:47:14
Right now anything dealing with the Dalelands is of interest to me (especially the lost dales). I've also always wanted to know more about the Shining South, Nimbral and Lantan. None of those areas seems to have much in the way of historical details.
Gelcur Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 20:57:40
I know you had been working on Sossal history/timeline at one point, not sure if you ever finished said work. I always liked this quote from Races of Faerun under Arctic Dwarf History, "Some claim that the Inugaakalikurit once ruled a northern empire that rivaled great Bhaerynden, but the Great Glacier long ago crushed any ruins it might have left." While I'm on dwarves I don't think there is much on them while in the Yehimal region or while under Semphar.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 20:10:35
quote:

I would like to see you update your High History of Impiltur or your History of the North to the current year (1491+), but if you don't want to work on the post-Spellplague Realms yet, perhaps something about Imaskar or the Old Empires.

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'd agree. That's exactly why I held off from saying Narfell and Raumathar. I'd love to have more detail on their early history, what was going on in "the Lakes of Shemen" area, etc... but you were specifically saying places with a dearth of lore.

I honestly can't think of much lore at all on Halruaa other than "its founded by Netherese" then "some left to go to Nimbral" then "they fought with Dambrath" then "the red wizards broke away" then "they fought with the Crintri in Dambrath" (oh, and apparently the Halruaans must have either bred with or subjugated the Lapal tribes that were in Halruaa?)… but maybe the last 150 years or so sees a little more info. There's a lot of "this Halruaan was over in X country and did something" though, and that could all be used to tie back to create some history in Halruaa itself. It could be interesting to perhaps see a history of the rulers of Halruaa, maybe prominent council members, maybe something on mage family lines (because Halruaa seems very much a "magic in the blood" place where people might even set up marriages based on perceived magic potential) etc...

Doesn't the Shinning South sourcebook covers much of this?

It doesn't cover a lot of the history. There's big gaping swathes of history (at least it seems to me) with little said for centuries at a time. Its more focused on say the last 200 years or so, but Halruaa would have been around for more more than say 1500 years or so.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 20:10:03
quote:

I would like to see you update your High History of Impiltur or your History of the North to the current year (1491+), but if you don't want to work on the post-Spellplague Realms yet, perhaps something about Imaskar or the Old Empires.

quote:

I'd agree. That's exactly why I held off from saying Narfell and Raumathar. I'd love to have more detail on their early history, what was going on in "the Lakes of Shemen" area, etc... but you were specifically saying places with a dearth of lore.

I honestly can't think of much lore at all on Halruaa other than "its founded by Netherese" then "some left to go to Nimbral" then "they fought with Dambrath" then "the red wizards broke away" then "they fought with the Crintri in Dambrath" (oh, and apparently the Halruaans must have either bred with or subjugated the Lapal tribes that were in Halruaa?)… but maybe the last 150 years or so sees a little more info. There's a lot of "this Halruaan was over in X country and did something" though, and that could all be used to tie back to create some history in Halruaa itself. It could be interesting to perhaps see a history of the rulers of Halruaa, maybe prominent council members, maybe something on mage family lines (because Halruaa seems very much a "magic in the blood" place where people might even set up marriages based on perceived magic potential) etc...

It doesn't cover a lot of the history. There's big gaping swathes of history (at least it seems to me) with little said for centuries at a time. Its more focused on say the last 200 years or so, but Halruaa would have been around for more more than say 1500 years or so.
Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 20:04:35

quote:

sleyvas Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 23:22:11
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

As far as areas that need more love - the lost island nations Lantan and Nimbral are similarly lacking any detail.

Whoops, and you just made me realize.... I said "what happened to Gond" above and my brain was thinking Lantan...
sleyvas Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 23:20:02
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

The BIG hole for me is Imaskar. 99 percent of what has been said about it is supposition. We have only a few pages of lore, and its mostly about ruins or relics. Even there we are in the dark as they can't seem to settle on the Imaskarcana (how many versions are there now?) As an empire that pretty much made Faerun what it is today, it has received very little attention in print - especially when compared to Netheril or the Elven empires.

I agree, but in terms of historical detail, Imaskar received a significant amount of info in GHotR thanks to Brian James. It lacks details, but no more than Narfell or Raumathar or any of the ancient empires.

What I'm after is suggestions for places/locations or events that are lacking in historical detail, not necessarily places that you want more info on generally.

-- George Krashos

The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 17:37:40
As far as areas that need more love - the lost island nations Lantan and Nimbral are similarly lacking any detail.
The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 17:36:17
My answer would still be the same. The histories of those empires each have a couple of events spread out over thousands of years. Big highlights but no depth. Would be like having a history of western civilizations that mentioned the formation of Greece, then the rise and fall of Rome, the dark ages, the renaissance, Columbus, The World Wars and the Atom Bomb.

That's about all the historical detail we have on the civilizations of the Realms, and lacking is about the best description I can think of.
George Krashos Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 16:03:02
quote:

The BIG hole for me is Imaskar. 99 percent of what has been said about it is supposition. We have only a few pages of lore, and its mostly about ruins or relics. Even there we are in the dark as they can't seem to settle on the Imaskarcana (how many versions are there now?) As an empire that pretty much made Faerun what it is today, it has received very little attention in print - especially when compared to Netheril or the Elven empires.

I agree, but in terms of historical detail, Imaskar received a significant amount of info in GHotR thanks to Brian James. It lacks details, but no more than Narfell or Raumathar or any of the ancient empires.

What I'm after is suggestions for places/locations or events that are lacking in historical detail, not necessarily places that you want more info on generally.

-- George Krashos
The Masked Mage Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 13:54:01
Lord Karsus Posted - 27 Sep 2018 : 00:26:58
-The Great Rift and Underchasm.
Gelcur Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 20:25:43
I posted this a while back, I had done research to run the ruins of a small outpost. Found it odd there was so little information on Askavar.
quote:
Askavar is mentioned in 1085 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting (A Grand Tour of the Realms) p 10. It states it is located in what is now called the Wood of Sharp Teeth and that it was abandoned 800 years ago give or take, placing it around 568 DR.

It is mentioned in passing to describe pottery on page 4 of 9487 Giantcraft.

Page 62 of Champions of Valor also mentions Askavar again placing it in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, it also references those woods by what they were called then, Glimmerwood.

And finally page 30 of Dragon 251 which refers to Askalvar. Most feel that its just a typo for Askavar especially since it was also located in the Wood of Sharp Teeth.

If you are just looking for a period and we go by Grand History, 500-600 DR seems to have mostly short entries could be a good spot to fill in.
Gary Dallison Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 15:18:55
Oh yea I completely forgot about the Dragon coast, there is nothing for that entire region apart from westgate.
George Krashos Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 14:44:46
At this stage I'm focusing on pre-Spellplague. That's not to say I won't go post-Spellplague in due course, but for now it's up to 1385 DR.

And thanks for the suggestions. I have realised that the Old Empires, the Vilhon and the Shining South (and the early history of the Dales and Dragon Coast) likely need the most love.

-- George Krashos
sleyvas Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 12:39:06
Also, if you're open to more of a free hand and less of a research AND willing to embrace the spellplague and sundering

What happened to Nimbral? Also, some pre-history of Nimbral.

What happened to Halruaa?

What happened to Gond?

What happened to Evermeet?

There's a lot of folks focused on Maztica and Anchorome, so I wouldn't necessarily go there. On Halruaa, there's been some thoughts on the forums, but not much I've seen outside of here.

Also, on the historical front, there's not a whole lot on the time between Unther and Mulhorand's founding and the fall of Imaskar. It took centuries before either country formed, so in theory something happened with their people.
sleyvas Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 12:28:48
What happened in Halruaa after it became Halruaa? What wizards survived? What cities were formed and where (and/or FROM where)? Did they form like enclaves? How did they arrive (assuming skyskips)? Were there any preexisting enclaves down this far that may have already established settlements (perhaps looking into what created the giant lake)? Were there any indigenous inhabitants that were "displaced)?

History in the Utter East?

History of Undrek'Thoz the segmented city and its formation from survivors of Darathmault (including some more lore on Darathmault)?
Gary Dallison Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 10:27:14
This will take some thought. Do you have a timeframe of when you want answers by.

One big hole in the timeline is what happened after the tsunami that wiped out jhaamdath. There are a good few centuries with no detail.

Another big hole is the 7 or eight centuries in chessenta before Tchazzar appeared and made it into chessenta. The 3 centuries before Tchazzar appeared should be very interesting with Tchazzar and alasklerbanbastos competing against one another to rule the land.

Misereor Posted - 26 Sep 2018 : 10:18:07

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Are there any "holes" in the historical narrative of Faerun that people think need filling? I'm not talking about "give me more info on the Crown Wars ..."-type stuff (noting that the Crown Wars are actually quite well detailed historically), but rather areas or events that haven't received much love.

The "Elves versus everybody" period.

Ed had a few lines on it in "Elminster in Myth Drannor" about a game Elves used to play, where they would hunt "lesser" races (like Humans) from floating platforms.

The novel also described the opening up of Myth Drannor and the resistance associated with it, but we never really got any information on what it meant for racial relations, and how the various peoples of Faerun ended changing their minds about Elves. (Going from "They hunt us for sport" to "Elves are amazing!".)

Did they just forget, or were there events that changed their minds? There must be a crapload of stories yet untold.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000