Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Cleaveheart sword

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 22 Sep 2018 : 11:14:27
Does anyone knows the stats of thw Sword Cleaveheart in AD&D ???
13   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
George Krashos Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 04:23:39
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm wondering if I can link a few stray bits of lore here and there together involving this cleaveheart and it's shorter twin.

There was something involving the dagger that killed borem being sent by Jergal to a bunched cultists who all died, sending it via a meteorite is not a bad way to ungodly events. There was a powerful sword in the How the Mighty are Fallen adventure which might have been called cleaveheart, if not it wouldn't be a bad background for the sword.
Also I think the dagger used by the nightmasks of Westgate was netherese make and of meteoric iron (but linked to a chalice somehow). Perhaps the shorter twin sword was melted down into a dagger that ended up in Westgate.

Just musing, it's something I might develop more if I ever get back to Netheril.

Whilst i's fun to connect disparate lore into a cohesive whole, there is something to be said about creating whol cloth new lore and building stories off that. The Dragon Coast is pretty far from the Lonely Moor.

-- George Krashos
George Krashos Posted - 29 Sep 2018 : 01:53:58
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I'm wondering if I can link a few stray bits of lore here and there together involving this cleaveheart and it's shorter twin.

There was something involving the dagger that killed borem being sent by Jergal to a bunched cultists who all died, sending it via a meteorite is not a bad way to ungodly events. There was a powerful sword in the How the Mighty are Fallen adventure which might have been called cleaveheart, if not it wouldn't be a bad background for the sword.
Also I think the dagger used by the nightmasks of Westgate was netherese make and of meteoric iron (but linked to a chalice somehow). Perhaps the shorter twin sword was melted down into a dagger that ended up in Westgate.

Just musing, it's something I might develop more if I ever get back to Netheril.

Whilst it's fun to connect disparate lore into a cohesive whole, there is something to be said about creating whol cloth new lore and building stories off that. The Dragon Coast is pretty far from the Lonely Moor.

-- George Krashos
Gary Dallison Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 17:17:20

BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 16:17:26
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Like I mentioned before, there didn't seem to be anything special about its relationship to undead. It did seem like it had the properties of a sword of sharpness/vorpal sword. Do you have Lords Of Darkness?

I do.. I made this way in order to be useful in the other adventures of the module which all are about undead..that's the reason..
TBeholder Posted - 28 Sep 2018 : 10:52:07
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

made from metal from a rock hurled from the Sky.

you know this reminds me of

Uh, that's pretty much a standard practice. It needs to be mixed with a proper steel, of course, but other than this, good stuff is good stuff.
Or shaped via cold forging for which it's more fit anyway.
ElfBane Posted - 25 Sep 2018 : 00:42:41
Astounding. Those swords don't look like they would only weigh 6-10 lbs.!
sleyvas Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 22:29:44
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

i found some info from other swords of it's kind and i added mine also and i made this one

Cleaveheart:-This chill white-blue blade sighs as it pierces the flesh of the it’s foes, and the victims shrieks as his life essence is drained away. This greatsword is known to cleave heart and soul from its victims. Whenever it deals damage that would reduce a creature to zero hit points, the wielder may gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt. It also deals double damage to undead.

The sword's stats in AD&D are:
Two-Handed Sword +2,
Cost 2500 gp, Weight 15 lbs., Size:Large, Type: Slashing, SpeedFactor:10, Damage: Small or Medium:1d10+2, Large:3d6+2, vs Undead it does double damage.

In 5th edition

Greatsword +2
Cost:2500 gp Damge 2d6+2 slashing vs Undead it does double damage. Heavy, two-handed.

what do you think?

A two-handed sword, if it's made of steel, would weigh much more than 15lbs. I mean, 15lbs. is a medium sized cat.

Its made of metal from a rock hurled from the sky... so it may not be steel.... but

http://www.thearma.org/essays/2HGS.html#.W6lWSvZFyUk

That site says a two handed sword typically weighed LESS than 8 lbs, some as little as 5 lbs.

The fighting two-handed sword, weighed (on average) between 5-7 lbs. I give the following three examples, randomly chosen from our own collections, which I hope are adequate to make the point:

Two-handed sword, German, c.1550 (IX.926). Weight: 7 lb 6oz.

Two-handed sword, German, dated 1529 (IX.991). Weight: 5 lb 1oz.

Two-handed sword, Scottish, mid 16th century, (IX.926). Weight: 5 lb 10oz.
ElfBane Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 21:36:10
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

i found some info from other swords of it's kind and i added mine also and i made this one

Cleaveheart:-This chill white-blue blade sighs as it pierces the flesh of the it’s foes, and the victims shrieks as his life essence is drained away. This greatsword is known to cleave heart and soul from its victims. Whenever it deals damage that would reduce a creature to zero hit points, the wielder may gain temporary hit points equal to the damage dealt. It also deals double damage to undead.

Two-Handed Sword +2,
Cost 2500 gp, Weight 15 lbs., Size:Large, Type: Slashing, SpeedFactor:10, Damage: Small or Medium:1d10+2, Large:3d6+2, vs Undead it does double damage.

In 5th edition

Greatsword +2
Cost:2500 gp Damge 2d6+2 slashing vs Undead it does double damage. Heavy, two-handed.

what do you think?

A two-handed sword, if it's made of steel, would weigh much more than 15lbs. I mean, 15lbs. is a medium sized cat.
The Masked Mage Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 21:31:08
Like I mentioned before, there didn't seem to be anything special about its relationship to undead. It did seem like it had the properties of a sword of sharpness/vorpal sword. Do you have Lords Of Darkness?
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 13:47:01

Two-Handed Sword +2,

In 5th edition

Greatsword +2

what do you think?
sleyvas Posted - 24 Sep 2018 : 12:57:23
What I want to know.... how'd they know that the rock hurled from the sky came from Tyr Grimjaws…. THAT's got a story somewhere.
The Masked Mage Posted - 23 Sep 2018 : 10:31:24
In that source you have the following:
Forged from the metal of a rock hurled from the sky by that new god, Tyr Grimjaws, it was a weapon of which much would be sung. Its heaviness pulling at my sword belt reassured me, for only its unearthly magic would win my way through Aumvor#146;s zombie legions.
Also mentioned is the sword "Bloodquick."

Reading between the lines, it appears bloodquick was a sword of quickness and cleaveheart was either a sword of sharpness or a vorpal sword.
George Krashos Posted - 23 Sep 2018 : 09:50:23
It was only ever mentioned in the REF5 Lords of Darkness sourcebook in the "Zombies" chapter. That chapter was written by Michael Stackpole, who I'm not sure is contactable.

Make it up!

-- George Krashos

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000