Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Foiling Flights of Fancy with Fey.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
The Silver Sage Posted - 05 Dec 2017 : 15:46:12

So my players have just participated (snuck into) the grand banquet of the fey archlords. They spent the evening wining and dining with a variable who’s who of fey lords. All of the kings and queens of the feywild were there-- Eladrin, Sytars, Grandmother hags, ect. The PCs enjoyed a grand feast (briefly gaining effects of heroes feast) at the table of Lord Oberon himself. After dinner and dancing the PCs (and other guests) were afforded the opportunity to ask any request of King Oberon and Queen Titania. The Archfey couldn't refuse their requests (think mobsters on the day of their daughter’s wedding), no matter how outlandish, as long as it was within their abilities. All of the PCs made requests and all were granted.

One of the PCs even parlayed this into an exclusive hunting trip with the Archfey: The Lord of the Hunt, where he learned the hunter’s mark spell for a few extra downtime days, and was guided through a portion of the extra dimensional fey backroads/crossroads. Everything seems peachy for the PCs.

They don’t know this, but the way I see it, the Archfey just “pre-paid” on a debt. With that in mind, in what ways do the PCs now have to repay the Fey’s Kindness? As we know, fey are oft fickle creatures with a completely alien sense of morality. In exchange for some desperately needed gold they might take your first born child. Fairs fair after all; and a deal has been made. What does the Queen of the Fairies need from puny 9th level mortals?

Things I was considering:

The PCs must spend a year (365 DT days split between the party) in service to the court of stars. They must remove every acorn from a 1 million mi² forest floor.

One of the PCs must give up their first born child.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
The Silver Sage Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 02:44:21
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I like Wooly's ideas, but to take yours - I wouldn't think Fey would want to 'remove' acorns. Those are like precious embryos to them, i would imagine. If anything, i could see them being tasked to PLANT acorns over a large area, about 30 feet a part or so - get them to replant an ancient fey forest. If they give the acorns to the party themselves, then the acorns could have an enchanment on them, so when the trees reach maturity the forest acts as a vast gate for the Fey (and area where fey-blooded creatures can pass through the 'veil between the worlds' with no problem).

Taking a 'first born child' doesn't mean nearly as much in a game as it would in real life, so its a really tough roleplay situation, plus, is your campaign going to run long enough for this to ever become a thing? And if you allow this to happen, then I would say the child returns just five years later... FULLY GROWN, and they are now considered 'Fey-touched'.

EDIT:
Or you could just send them on a hunt for the Beast Glatisant (Questing Beast), from Arthurian legend, That should be fun. Its mentioned in the 1e DD tome, under the King Pellinore entry. In Chivalry & Sorcery, they had it where the Questing Beast's footprints would completely change to that of another animal, every mile or so (the creatures was supposed to be almost impossible to track, and extremely tricky). Sounds like a fey creature to me (something along the lines of a Phouka).

This is all great stuff. One of my PC's did just accidentally impregnate an Enrinyes devil. She's not the type of NPC who would raise a child. I like the idea of forcing the PC to give up this child to the fey to satisfy a debt, only to find that within a short span of time it's fully grown; back with anger and abandonment issues. Trained by the fey court in both magic and swordsmanship.
Markustay Posted - 05 Dec 2017 : 23:14:04
I like Wooly's ideas, but to take yours - I wouldn't think Fey would want to 'remove' acorns. Those are like precious embryos to them, i would imagine. If anything, i could see them being tasked to PLANT acorns over a large area, about 30 feet a part or so - get them to replant an ancient fey forest. If they give the acorns to the party themselves, then the acorns could have an enchanment on them, so when the trees reach maturity the forest acts as a vast gate for the Fey (and area where fey-blooded creatures can pass through the 'veil between the worlds' with no problem).

Taking a 'first born child' doesn't mean nearly as much in a game as it would in real life, so its a really tough roleplay situation, plus, is your campaign going to run long enough for this to ever become a thing? And if you allow this to happen, then I would say the child returns just five years later... FULLY GROWN, and they are now considered 'Fey-touched'.

EDIT:
Or you could just send them on a hunt for the Beast Glatisant (Questing Beast), from Arthurian legend, That should be fun. Its mentioned in the 1e DD tome, under the King Pellinore entry. In Chivalry & Sorcery, they had it where the Questing Beast's footprints would completely change to that of another animal, every mile or so (the creatures was supposed to be almost impossible to track, and extremely tricky). Sounds like a fey creature to me (something along the lines of a Phouka).
Wooly Rupert Posted - 05 Dec 2017 : 16:05:16
I wouldn't go the route of pointless impossible tasks, like the acorn one... I'd go for odd stuff, though, like fletching an arrow with the tail feathers from some exotic birds, singing a song to a hedgehog, battling the crossroads guardian at a specific spot, playing jokes on some intelligent undead, etc.

Or go for something that hits a little harder... Burning all the charges from a particular magical item, or having to surrender a favored magical item. You could have them pay by losing skills/feats/proficiencies or forgetting a spell. I'd make the magic items thing permanent, but the forgotten knowledge could be relearned at the next level gain.

And of course, the PCs may balk at this... In which case you have them pay by subjecting them to 24/7 torment by the fae. Your paladin/bard/other face person is subject to constant illusions rendering him ugly and brutish. Your rogue can't use any kind of stealth, because if he tries, pixies surround him with sounds and twinkling lights. The warrior frequently finds his weapons glued into their scabbards, or glue on the hilts so he can't let go, or his armor rusts very quickly. Your spellcasters have a hard time regaining spells because the fae keep interrupting their slumber/study/prayers. Their travel rations go bad, bugs keep swarming them when they sleep, etc...

Oh, and hopefully the PCs knew that nothing comes for free, where the fae are involved. Otherwise, you may have some disgruntled players.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000