Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 2018 WotC Line up

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Eilserus Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 08:19:39
Codenames for the 2018 product lineup per Enworld. Hope the accessory is another Sword Coast Adventurer Guide type book, maybe more campaign guide detail for a given geography etc.

My money for next year's adventures has something to do with Thay, judging from the many mentions from Mearls. I could dream for Catacomb to = Shoonach, but maybe it's the citadel on Thaymount? The dungeon from Spellbound in 2E if I recall.

Thoughts?

D&D "Marathon" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966240
format: Hardcover
series: D&D Accessory
pages: 192
publisher: Wizards of the Coast
pub. date: 2018-05-29

D&D "Broadway" Dice
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966288
format: Game
series: D&D Accessory
pages: n/a
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Broadway" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966257
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-09-18

D&D "Catacomb" HC
By Rpg Team Wizards
ISBN: 9780786966264
series: D&D Adventure
pages: 256
pub. date: 2018-11-20
19   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Derulbaskul Posted - 23 Mar 2018 : 16:58:35
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

That's true.

4e's codename was 'the next great thing'.

Actually, it was Orcus.
Markustay Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 19:26:31
Because of all the oddness surrounding the Spellplague and Mystra's death (they even went back to the Sundering... and then pretend it only just happened), a paradox was created and the world is 'stuck in a loop'. So now we have an in-game reason why all the NPCs keep 'respawning' like in a video game.

You can kill the same (2e) shopkeeper a hundred times, and they'll still be there the next day... smiling their idiotic grin.

In other words, use the older sources, because it literally does not matter - no-one really ever dies. they just get turned into a statue, or get stuck in a blue-flame thingy, or absorb some 'shadiness', etc, etc...

The only people who die are the PCs... and even then, they come back... FR has truly become Hell, and everyone is stuck in a scenario of Groundhog Day.
Gary Dallison Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 18:33:56
There really isn't that much to 5e so you may as well stick to the 2e/3e realms (5e tells you to use those resources anyway). I'm always finding new stuff by reading my old sourcebooks so go with what you like
BlackAce Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 18:18:56
Thanks Dazzler. It's been 4-5 years since I heard about the Sundering but it really didn't seem to come to anything and I'm well out of touch now. Oh well.
Gary Dallison Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 17:34:18
Unfortunately yes they did, and then they added another tiny but unquantified timejump onto the 4e timeline for 5e.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone ever say that a timejump is a good idea, but witch keeps trying to flog the idea to death
BlackAce Posted - 21 Mar 2018 : 17:08:34
*delurk* Hey guys, quick question. [Here seems like the best place to ask it.] Have they kept the 4e time jump for 5e?
Gyor Posted - 18 Mar 2018 : 00:58:23
Marathan is Morkdienen's Tome of Foes. It will have chapters on Blood War, Elves, Gith, Dwarves, Halfling/Gnomes and a monster chapter like VGTM.

moonbeast Posted - 16 Dec 2017 : 04:18:46
Three new 2018 D&D accessories just showed up for pre-order.

But these are three of the same kind. So it's really the same accessory, comes in three separate sets. Dungeon Tiles Resurrected: Dungeons, Wilderness, City
Markustay Posted - 13 Dec 2017 : 08:43:17
If is a 'tour of the Realms' cleverly disguised as a series-adventure, it might still be considered 'an accessory'. I recall people buying Mysteries of the Moonsea, thinking it was going to be a regional splat, and it turned out to be a series of adventures that took you to locales all over the Moonsea north. As an Adventure Path, it was sorely lacking (I don't even think the stuff was linked that well, if at all), and as a regional source, it was dismal, so in the end it made no-one happy. There have been others like that - most notably GH's Fate of Isthmus. Basically a regional source with an over-aching storyline to tie it together (because in 4e/5e, we are never going to see a 'pure lore' type book again).

Come to think of it, the last few APs they did were along those lines - half adventure, half regional splat.

Anyhow, I am just taking shots in the dark. I just hope it isn't a new rulebook.
sleyvas Posted - 08 Dec 2017 : 18:05:20
quote:

A 'marathon' is a series-race, so perhaps a timed AP, with certain events happening at specific times, with PCs needing to 'stay ahead of the game' (like how Scales of War was - the attacks happened in precise order, so if the PCs delayed, they lost the opportunity to 'do the thing' at a particular location, lessening their chances for an end-game victory). I've never run that type of adventure, only because I can never find a group that stays on task ("lets spend three days chasing a squirrel in the woods!" - I've seen that happen). Probably good scenarios to run at conventions, tournament-style, though.

Of all the above though, it says "accessory" and the others say adventure. So, I'm thinking something not an adventure.
Markustay Posted - 08 Dec 2017 : 07:05:41
A 'marathon' is a series-race, so perhaps a timed AP, with certain events happening at specific times, with PCs needing to 'stay ahead of the game' (like how Scales of War was - the attacks happened in precise order, so if the PCs delayed, they lost the opportunity to 'do the thing' at a particular location, lessening their chances for an end-game victory). I've never run that type of adventure, only because I can never find a group that stays on task ("lets spend three days chasing a squirrel in the woods!" - I've seen that happen). Probably good scenarios to run at conventions, tournament-style, though.
Mankyle Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 22:16:21
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

I don't think that codenames have anything to do with the actual content. IIRC, the codename for Storm King Thunder was cloak, and I don't know how the actual product and the codename would relate.

Cloak was Curse of Strahd (vampires wear cloaks)

Storm king's Thunder was dagger (as in a dagger assassination like in Shakespeare tragedies)

Xanathar was Midway

Tales of the Yawning Portal was labyrinth (all adventures set in dungeons/labyrinths)

Tomb of Annihilation was dust (there is always dust in a tomb)

I don't have any idea about the content in Marathon but being it an accessory, and seeing that we have to see the artificer and the mystic in a further product.....

I think this could be a setting book.a chapter could be Greyhawk, another with the Artificer Eberron, another one could be Dark Sun with the Mystic, another one for Planescape (yesterday they talk about Sigil in one of the podcasts) or Dragonlance...

Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 20:50:07
quote:

Send for a priest! We need a cure serious wounds for that burn!
Markustay Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 20:33:20
That's true.

Irennan Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 20:22:57
I don't think that codenames have anything to do with the actual content. IIRC, the codename for Storm King Thunder was cloak, and I don't know how the actual product and the codename would relate.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 07 Dec 2017 : 16:16:38
Do we know if the code names have anything at all to do with the product? After all, "Blue Harvest" was the code name for Return of the Jedi -- and if there's any connection at all between that name and the finished product, it eludes me.

Either way, at this time, I personally don't have enough information to weigh in. I barely pay attention to WotC, these days... It used to be that I checked their website daily, sometimes more than once in a day, looking for whatever new free content was posted. Now I'm doing good to hit their site once a month.
Markustay Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 17:31:43
The obvious choice would be something in the Lands of Intrigue, in order to connect the other two areas they've developed - Chult, and The Sword Coast. Then they'll probably start working their way down the 'right side' of the maps - eastern heartlands (2019?), Old Empires (2020?), etc.

That would at least be the logical thing to do, so they can finally give us complete (Faerūn) 5e campaign maps.

I'm more interested in what that 'Marathon' product is - I'm not big on dungeon-crawls anymore. It sounds like it might be a "Once Around the Realms" style AP, similar to what the old Fate of Istus did in Greyhawk (basically, a series of linked adventures {early AP} that takes you on a 'grand tour' of the setting). That would be pretty neat.
Eilserus Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 17:07:18
It's possible. They've said they would be exploring other areas. Haunted Halls would be awesome if it got the original Ed treatment. I think one of the upcoming adventures will deal with Thay and maybe the Sea of Fallen Stars provided they're doing a Slavers module rehash.
Marco Volo Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 16:48:38
For one second I thought "Catacomb" could be at last The Haunted Hall of Eveningstar but then I remembered that the 5th edition is North/SwordCoast/Chult based, there is little chance for a Cormyrean adventure.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000