Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Kara-Tur Box Set vs Oriental Adventure's 1e

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Zeromaru X Posted - 02 Dec 2017 : 23:36:30
I'm wondering which one buy, or if I have to buy the two. Is there any sort of continuity between them?
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Markustay Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 06:37:21
Yeah, you'd be VERY disappointed by the 'lore' in the 1e OA book. The K-T box is chock full of goodness.

The Horde box is also another very good one - I believe it may be the first place the 'Raurin Culture' is actually named Imaskari (maybe - don't quote me on that). Both products are all over the place, lore-wise, and even self-contradictory in a few places, but there is just SO MUCH of it, its pure gold. They're both basically just huge books of plothooks (very much like the 'Old Grey Box').

EDIT:
You'd also do well to find an old copy of the Book of Artifacts - at least 2/3 the items in there have FR lore attached. Not tons of lore, mind you, but some very specific stuff you really can't find anywhere else.
Zeromaru X Posted - 03 Dec 2017 : 00:19:50
Well, I only want the book for the lore on Kara-Tur. So, I guess the box set is the one to get.
Markustay Posted - 02 Dec 2017 : 23:46:29
K-T is THE setting. 1e OA has very little on the setting itself. Thus, if you are lore-driven, then go for the K-T box.

I found only two things in the 1e OA (that was actually written for the GH setting - that's where Gary Gygax had originally pictured K-T going) that don't appear in the box - the name of a 'lost' province, and also a tiny bit of how/where the Shou came from, and what their names mean because of that. Its really very little, and the part about the 'red earth' is repeated elsewhere anyway - the Book of Artifacts, IIRC.

The other 98% of the book is just rules that are only useful if you are running 1e D&D. For 2e D&D, you would need the Ronin Challenge supplement and AP, which updates a bunch of OA material to 2e. 3e has nothing, other than some articles online, and a couple of mentions in the GHotR (nearly all of which appear in other KT/OA products).

EDIT:
And in hindsight/retrospect, I suppose the 'red earth' could refer to the preSundered Abeir-Toril, which would mean the Shou are not interlopers. It could be interpreted either way.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000