Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maiden of Pain Novel - Synopsis?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sleyvas Posted - 12 Nov 2017 : 14:45:05
So, I don't have the maiden of pain novel. I don't think I bought those novels simply because of the titles not really making me go "yes, I need to read that". However, I'm realizing that it is based down in Luthcheq and Mordulkin, and involves Thay. So, that has caught my attention. That being said, I don't have the book (I'm at amazon now), so can anyone give some insights? I only started looking because I saw badcatman was updating mordulkin's links on the wiki when looking up wizshades, so it intrigued me.
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
sleyvas Posted - 14 Nov 2017 : 03:10:54
quote:
Originally posted by BadCatMan

Afraid not, I put up on the wiki everything canon there is to know about Hercubes and House Jedea. I focused on the Mordulkin parts of the novel, but haven't yet touched on and wikified the rest (not even close to being a current project).

Ah, that's cool. It leaves him kind of open to me for interpretation. I was having Laothkund as this far-flung portion of the Tharch of Peleveran, and I was going to have Samathar as an aulkir acting a representative for the tharch (he being ghost or somesuch). Then when they transfer back to Toril, I was also going to have Zulkir Lallara Mediocros and Zulkir Lauzoril (the one that didn't transfer to Abeir) getting freed finally from Tam's special mini-universe and returning to Escalant to re-establish their rule... only to discover that there's this burgeoning new "returned" set of red wizards as part of "something called the United Tharchs of Toril". Lallara and Lauzoril (original from Toril) meet with Dmitra and Lauzoril (clone brought to life in Abier) in Peleveran. They negotiate that Escalant, Laothkund, and the nearby city states (possibly including Soorenar) can reform into a new Tharch (maybe calling it the Tharch of the Wizard's Reach).

If I throw Hercubes Jedea into this mix, he can want to "return to his home city of Mordulkin"... and thus these red wizards may want to conquer Threskel in addition to (or perhaps prior to) messing with Thay and Tam.
BadCatMan Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 14:17:27
Afraid not, I put up on the wiki everything canon there is to know about Hercubes and House Jedea. I focused on the Mordulkin parts of the novel, but haven't yet touched on and wikified the rest (not even close to being a current project).
sleyvas Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 14:10:01
Was there much on Hercubes Jedea or the Jedea family? I ask because Mordulkin is "in ruins" in 4e, which to me says "majority transferred to Abeir. Him being a high level wizard makes him perfect to import as a leader in the tharch of Peleveran (though I prefer to maybe have him leading his people to Laothkund, and Mordulkin is seized by Shyr). Anyway, info on him and his family (any info other than what's on the wiki and or game products, which is limited) would be appreciated. I know in Dragons of Faerun he'd finally become a lvl 18 wizard.

Markustay Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 07:03:41
As the personnel changes, so do the agendas.
BadCatMan Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 05:17:56
Stranger still, WotC held a competition requiring a novel proposal with all these elements: IIRC, Bezantur, Thay, Loviatar, Luthcheq, etc., probably with secret plot requirements. Something was being planned in advance. Author Kameron M Franklin submitted the winning proposal and wrote Maiden of Pain to order. Then it was all promptly forgotten.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 03:23:17
The 3E era was bad about that: events, even major ones, were utterly isolated from the larger Realms.
BadCatMan Posted - 13 Nov 2017 : 02:16:46
I read it way back when and still remember it well, but then I took substantial notes for my Chessenta campaign prep. I recall it being fairly decent. Ythnel nicely shows how a Loviatan can be non-evil and heroic and without being a kinky BDSM type. It's difficult to read in public with that cover, however, and it has nothing to do with the story.

From my summary for Chessentan history:
• Winter 1374. Events of Maiden of Pain. Aznar Thrull of Thay in alliance with Yenael, priestess of Loviatar in Bezantur backs Mordulkin in a coming war against Luthcheq, while Yenael sends her daughter Ythnel to unwittingly be an agent. She serves as a governess for a Luthcheq merchant. Mage Society set up and destroyed by Karanoks with their agent Therescales, survivors flee into Adder Swamp, then to Mordulkin.
• Major battle between werecrocodiles and wererats over the refugee MS spellcasters.
• Aided by Mordulkin, Ythnel and Kestus return to Luthcheq and sabotage the supplies of witchweed for forthcoming war. Ythnel slays Kaestra, high priestess of Entropy. Naeros turned into vampire slave of sister Saestra.
• Mordulkin readies to move against Luthcheq, backed by Thay.

Except that never went anywhere and no outcome has been given. Like everything in modern Chessentan history, an impending war was set-up, promising to defeat one city and substantially alter the local balance of power, before it was interrupted by an RSE, which served only to maintain the status quo. In this case, the Rage of Dragons and Tchazzar's return. Dragons of Faerun and Grand History make no mention of the events of Maiden of Pain, despite being printed a year later, making the war and the novel something of an abortive effort.
TomCosta Posted - 12 Nov 2017 : 16:13:56
Hate to say it, but I read it back when and I remember virtually nothing.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000