Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How far should the Candlekanon timeline move?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Aldrick Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 01:57:53
Okay, the previous poll is now concluded. As of right now the votes are overwhelming, with fourteen people voting in favor of the consensus, one person voting against, and one person voting undecided.

As part of this consensus it was agreed that we would move the timeline forward somewhere between 5 and 20 years. This poll is about making that determination. The current canon year of the Realms is, if I am not mistaken, 1491 DR. Therefore, everything up to this date is considered canon.

I will be posting polling options in roughly five-year increments. If for some reason you want a specific date that is not listed, either round up or down as you feel appropriate.

Just to be clear what is being voted on: This poll is to determine the official Candlekanon "starting" date.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nilus Reynard Posted - 17 Aug 2017 : 03:38:01
I voted for 1500 as well.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 03 Aug 2017 : 22:25:06
Um...I think the bulk of it takes place in Jadaren Hold, near Erlkazar. I'm trying to remember what happened. The book was published in 2011, and starts in 1461, and the latter half takes place in 1600, Year of the Unseen Enemies. I know there was a deva named Lakini, and a rakshasa (sp?) named Lusk (who starts out as a deva). There are two rival merchants houses, and I think they are unified via marriage, but then things go wrong. I don't remember all the details, just bits and pieces.
Aldrick Posted - 03 Aug 2017 : 21:56:38
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Okay, finally had a chance to look at Dawnbringer, and I was wrong. It actually goes to 1600 (and a good portion of the story takes place in that time). However, as far as I can remember, the events are self-contained, meaning they don't really affect the Realms at large, and I don't remember any refs to bigger events. One of the main characters is a deva, IIRC.

Where does it take place? This could be important as it relates to the color and flavor of a particular area.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 03 Aug 2017 : 17:10:31
Okay, finally had a chance to look at Dawnbringer, and I was wrong. It actually goes to 1600 (and a good portion of the story takes place in that time). However, as far as I can remember, the events are self-contained, meaning they don't really affect the Realms at large, and I don't remember any refs to bigger events. One of the main characters is a deva, IIRC.
Wooly Rupert Posted - 03 Aug 2017 : 15:22:25
quote:
Originally posted by Spectralballoons

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

Okay, the previous poll is now concluded. As of right now the votes are overwhelming, with fourteen people voting in favor of the consensus, one person voting against, and one person voting undecided.

As part of this consensus it was agreed that we would move the timeline forward somewhere between 5 and 20 years. This poll is about making that determination. The current canon year of the Realms is, if I am not mistaken, 1491 DR. Therefore, everything up to this date is considered canon.

I will be posting polling options in roughly five-year increments. If for some reason you want a specific date that is not listed, either round up or down as you feel appropriate.

Just to be clear what is being voted on: This poll is to determine the official Candlekanon "starting" date.

Can someone Eli5 on what the Candlekanon is?

That's my not-entirely-serious proposed nickname for what we're discussing, here. The proper term would be "fanon" -- a contraction of "fan" and "canon" -- and I just tweaked it for use here. It's a contraction of "Candlekeep" and "canon."

Thus, Candlekanon would be the fan canon created collectively by scribes from Candlekeep.
Spectralballoons Posted - 03 Aug 2017 : 11:50:37
quote:

Can someone Eli5 on what the Candlekanon is?
Jeff Strix Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 20:48:36
Voted for 1500. At first I thought 1540-1550 would be the best, but actually there's no need to go so far in future. New century, round number - is good one.
CorellonsDevout Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 19:33:33
quote:

quote:

I voted 1500. The novel Dawnbringer ended in the year 1500, but there wasn't any lore information on what was going on in that era (and it was written before 5e came out, anyway). 1500 is the beginning of a new century, so it's a good place to start.

Based on what you can recall from Dawnbringer, do you think 5E overwrote/retconned anything in the novel?

Not that I remember. I can double-check when I get home tomorrow (still out of town), but I don't think so. They didn't mention any lore, and I think it was just the epilogue.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 19:29:50
Like I said, I will go with the consensus. I only pick '1500' because it is so easy to work with. Most of what I write will be referencing 'the past' anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

1495 DR because it's another decade that would need to be "filled up". And honestly, we still have a century to figure out so why pile on more work?
I have a feeling they are going to be filling-up that decade themselves pretty damn quick.

Or do you think they are not working on 6e?
Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 19:00:01
I guess that WotC filled up the timeline up to 1491 DR. So, 1500 DR will be just 9 years. Plus the "lost century", that in fact has lots of infos, in you look at the timeline of the FR wiki.
Diffan Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 18:22:28
1495 DR because it's another decade that would need to be "filled up". And honestly, we still have a century to figure out so why pile on more work?
Aldrick Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 17:30:30
quote:

I voted 1500. The novel Dawnbringer ended in the year 1500, but there wasn't any lore information on what was going on in that era (and it was written before 5e came out, anyway). 1500 is the beginning of a new century, so it's a good place to start.

Based on what you can recall from Dawnbringer, do you think 5E overwrote/retconned anything in the novel?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 17:13:55
BadCatMan Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 09:42:00
Last time, I recommended a longer time jump of 20 to 30 years, a whole human generation, to give a "next generation" feel to any new development. It's plenty of time to clear any canon developments from WotC for quite some time and patch easily with the existing setting. You won't rebuild and developed a destroyed settlement like Llork in several years, but you can in thirty. It allows new NPCs and PCs to be the sons and daughters of former NPCs and PCs. I liked 1521 DR, the Year the Moon Harp Restored, for the Realms Renaissance feel of the name.

(Although I probably wouldn't be writing in it myself, so my opinion is moot.)
Gary Dallison Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 08:22:15
It should of course jump backwards 120 years.
Zeromaru X Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 06:41:47
I voted for the 1500 DR as well. Is a round date, not so close to current canon, but neither so far.
KanzenAU Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 02:46:30
I voted 1510 (I would have said 1520, but 1510 should do), just because I feel like the official lore will be at 1500 within another decade or so, and I'd prefer to lessen the possibility of conflict. Also, new players joining the game in 8th edition in 1507 DR are more likely to use the CK stuff - I feel like people rarely want to go back in time from where they come to the hobby.

That's just a suggestion though, feel free to drop my vote from discussion as I'm unlikely to contribute to "future" Realms stuff anyway - I've got my work cut out for me backfilling for my day-to-day campaign!
Aldrick Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 02:27:48
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I voted 1500 because its a nice, round number - easy to for us to do math with on-the-fly.

I am sure if this thing takes-off, we will be extending it moving forward, as the canon Realms catches up to us.

I voted for 1500 as well for similar reasons. Like you said in another thread, it appeals to your OCD--and mine as well, lol. I would actually prefer a much larger time jump (of 100+ years), but I know that will never fly and 1500 appeals to me because it is a round number.

...and yeah, that is the goal. Once we get a basic outline of the Realms setup (a Wiki-based FRCG) we can start moving the timeline forward. This way we all know the current state of the Realms as of... well, whatever people vote here. It also allows us to sneak in some stuff that "happened during the Sundering" (AKA 'the reset') and give it a bit of breathing room.
sleyvas Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 02:11:46
I'm noting the 1500 timeframe as well, though personally all the work I'm currently doing is to TRY and fit it within current timeframe for its usefulness in DMsGuild.

That being said, that makes me think, due to the legal disclaimers, how much do I want to put on candlekanon. I personally like candlekeep as a discussion point for where we might turn the official realms. I also understand that they aren't necessarily listening..... but there's this part of me wondering with all of this stuff now happening down in Chult if in fact they are listening and adapting the ideas.... which as long as it improves the realms, its great. I've had so many ideas over the past 30 years that I've thrown out that part of my love of things (as Markustay said in another thread) is just helping come up with ideas and put them to the test. This place is a good place for that, as we can test ideas and let someone else blow a hole through it, and then strengthen the concept.
Markustay Posted - 29 Jul 2017 : 02:04:02
I voted 1500 because its a nice, round number - easy to for us to do math with on-the-fly.

I am sure if this thing takes-off, we will be extending it moving forward, as the canon Realms catches up to us.

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000